Wacky Wobbler Star Wars History

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got a spring. Come inside and chat about Funko Wacky Wobblers (bobble heads, for the less sophisticated).
bb_206

Re: Wacky Wobbler Star Wars History

Postby bb_206 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:02 pm

Thanks for this!

maythefunkobewithyou

Postby maythefunkobewithyou » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:14 pm

Updated to include the ECCC revealed but not yet released TFA style Kylo and Rey wobblers.

maythefunkobewithyou

Postby maythefunkobewithyou » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:52 pm

Megacam wrote:great post! I had no idea about the mini wobbler sets. I really need to try and track them down now, lol.

Good luck! Those came with a 5pack (chewie not included), 2 packs, and individual "blind boxes"

Squird wrote:Mini Christmas wobblers. Don't forget those. Sold at Target.

Will add those! Thanks.

TigerLily1276 wrote:Love the history

Glad to hear that.

SuMo wrote:YES! I just saw a picture of this wacky wobbler Boba Fett proto, and absolutely love it. I think the stance and the cape adds to a cool pose.

Indeed, just like the regular Boba Fett wobbler.

kyten wrote:Awesome history post! My boyfriend has gotten into the wacky wobblers and is a huge Star Wars fan. I'll have to try and hunt a free pieces down for him as a surprise. The new Boba Fett looks rad, love the flare on his cape.

Thanks! Good luck with the hunt.

Treblemdk wrote:Thanks for the info, great stuff :cheers:

Happy to hear you enjoyed it.

bb_206 wrote:Thanks for this!

Thanks for checking it out!

bryan_sato54

Postby bryan_sato54 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:10 pm

maythefunkobewithyou wrote:Updated to include the ECCC revealed but not yet released TFA style Kylo and Rey wobblers.

you think they will have wacky wobblers star wars sdcc exclusives?
Hi Im Bryan & Im Pop Collector & Back to the Future Collector as well. \:D/

INSTAGRAM : BRTS054

TWITTER : bryansato

maythefunkobewithyou

Postby maythefunkobewithyou » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:18 pm

bryan_sato54 wrote:
maythefunkobewithyou wrote:Updated to include the ECCC revealed but not yet released TFA style Kylo and Rey wobblers.

I hope so but seems unlikely; something tells me these are not selling all too well. Also idk if we'll get more SW surprises considering we just had SWCO, D23 is around the corner (Dorbz line) and Force Friday is in 2months (POPs, POP Deluxe, Mystery Minis, etc.). I think the full wave 1 Star Wars might be all we'll see for SDCC (minus Conan jedi + Freddy SW version, of course).

bryan_sato54

Postby bryan_sato54 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:19 pm

maythefunkobewithyou wrote:
bryan_sato54 wrote:

I hope so but seems unlikely; something tells me these are not selling all too well. Also idk if we'll get more SW surprises considering we just had SWCO, D23 is around the corner (Dorbz line) and Force Friday is in 2months (POPs, POP Deluxe, Mystery Minis, etc.). I think the full wave 1 Star Wars might be all we'll see for SDCC (minus Conan jedi + Freddy SW version, of course).

dont forget september is the episode 8 pops coming out soon

maythefunkobewithyou

Postby maythefunkobewithyou » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:36 pm

bryan_sato54 wrote:
bryan_sato54 wrote:

Yeah mentioned Force Friday in 2months ^_^

bryan_sato54

Postby bryan_sato54 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:31 am

bryan_sato54 wrote:

Yeah mentioned Force Friday in 2months ^_^

cant wait for episode 8 pops..

eljefe81

Postby eljefe81 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:27 pm

Does anyone know if the Darth Vader Wacky Wobbler had a chrome base chase in the blue box?
Proud member of Markenty's Garage

ashio24

Postby ashio24 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:51 pm

Thanks for the excellent history lesson!
FREE THE POPS! :freddy3:

Gothamite

Postby Gothamite » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:12 pm

The Rogue One Wobblers are on 75% off clearance at Barnes & Noble if anyone is looking for them.

SuMo

Postby SuMo » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:18 pm

Gothamite wrote:The Rogue One Wobblers are on 75% off clearance at Barnes & Noble if anyone is looking for them.

Thanks! I'll check them out. I think the wobblers are kind of cool looking and always looking to add more (at a deal). :-/
ImageImage
ImageImage

Dannyfunk

Postby Dannyfunk » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:20 am

Nice history lesson.

nightbodega

Postby nightbodega » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:34 pm

I do love the Star Wars Wobblers. Thanks for the history on them.

BenLo

Postby BenLo » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:24 pm

I still like the prototype Boba Fett. I can't remember where one can purchase that from.

TheJobaFett
HoF 2017 & Rookie
HoF 2017 & Rookie

Postby TheJobaFett » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:10 pm

BenLo wrote:I still like the prototype Boba Fett. I can't remember where one can purchase that from.

The wacky wobbler is a custom in my collection :)
The new wobbler was an exclusive to SWC 2016 in Orlando and I don’t remember if they ever released it anywhere else in the US as a shared exclusive but I think no
ImageImageMay the Funko Be With You

BenLo

Postby BenLo » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:22 pm

JobaFett wrote:
BenLo wrote:I still like the prototype Boba Fett. I can't remember where one can purchase that from.

The wacky wobbler is a custom in my collection :)
The new wobbler was an exclusive to SWC 2016 in Orlando and I don’t remember if they ever released it anywhere else in the US as a shared exclusive but I think no

Thanks for that info JobaFett! I love the way it looks in wobbler form.

bug86

Postby bug86 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:23 pm

Thanks for the history lesson. Being a somewhat new funko fan I love learning the history of the company.
Live,Laugh and Funko. :freddy3:

Hey it's Ashley.

@backgotback on twitter and @alizpt on IG.

JohnnyQwest

Postby JohnnyQwest » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:15 pm

Gothamite wrote:The Rogue One Wobblers are on 75% off clearance at Barnes & Noble if anyone is looking for them.

Good deal if youre looking to add some to your collection without spending a ton. \:D/

vrom

Postby vrom » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:53 pm

That was really some great history and information I had no idea about most of the Star Wars wobbler. Thanks for the info.

maythefunkobewithyou

Postby maythefunkobewithyou » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:13 am

If anyone is interested, we've created a thread covering the History of Star Wars Vynl

the_bur

Postby the_bur » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:51 pm

maythefunkobewithyou wrote:If anyone is interested, we've created a thread covering the History of Star Wars Vynl

Thanks for doing this! I saw Jason Swoboda's collection on the Funatic of the Week posting a couple weeks back and could not figure out what the giant Boba Fett proto was. This post solved that mystery.

maythefunkobewithyou

Postby maythefunkobewithyou » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:43 am

the_bur wrote:Thanks for doing this! I saw Jason Swoboda's collection on the Funatic of the Week posting a couple weeks back and could not figure out what the giant Boba Fett proto was. This post solved that mystery.

Yeah looks like he has a nice collection of Proto Bobas, including the giant 12” Coin Bobble Bank Boba. Believe it or not, Funko made even bigger Bobas - they have a few 24” Shogun variants.

The1one1

Postby The1one1 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:02 pm

the_bur wrote:Thanks for doing this! I saw Jason Swoboda's collection on the Funatic of the Week posting a couple weeks back and could not figure out what the giant Boba Fett proto was. This post solved that mystery.

Yeah looks like he has a nice collection of Proto Bobas, including the giant 12” Coin Bobble Bank Boba. Believe it or not, Funko made even bigger Bobas - they have a few 24” Shogun variants.

Oh my lord!! I’m in boba proto heaven!!! Look at all those heavenly beauties!!! that bobble bank proto is too cool for words!
Aloha! Call me Cliffy!
IG: The1one1

ImageImageImage ImageImage

Funkofan21

Postby Funkofan21 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:01 pm

Awesome thread! So many great pieces I wish I had in my collection
:freddy2:
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ImageImageImageImage

StarWarsFunkoGirl

Postby StarWarsFunkoGirl » Mon May 13, 2019 9:01 am

Wow, Those Clone Freddy look great & would love to get them
https://i.imgur.com/F5eaJ4O.jpg

Started collecting: 2014 | Pop! Star Wars: 758 | Pop! Harry Potter/Fantastic Beast 180 | 290 random pops, minis & pins

thefunkohunko

Postby thefunkohunko » Mon May 20, 2019 12:33 pm

Thank you for the history lesson! Not a huge Star Wars fan, but I love the history of Funko products. I'm a huge fan of the Big Boy picture!
Hey y’all, I'm Austin! I love putting smiles on people’s faces through my love for collecting and art!
Follow me on Instagram @thefunkohunko and check out my Funko art portfolio!
Aspring Funko artist!
In search of 2004 SDCC Funko-Mart items & old school Funko memorabilia!

The1one1

Postby The1one1 » Thu May 23, 2019 2:13 am

I didn’t really care for them when they first came out but now looking at the pictures I kinda dig the monster mash-ups! I only have the Darth Vader one. The Jawa, Maul, and tusken looked cool!
Aloha! Call me Cliffy!
IG: The1one1

ImageImageImage ImageImage

HockeyDad

Postby HockeyDad » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:30 am

maythefunkobewithyou wrote:This is a quick post regarding the history of Wacky Wobblers, but more specifically, the Star Wars line. As such, it skips a lot of the history of the other lines. If you want to recreate/replicate/cite this post in part or in whole, please contact us prior to proceeding. If you see any inconsistencies, please do let us know so we can correct them.
Spoiler: show
Feel free to check out our other Star Wars Funko History posts:
Star Wars Wacky Wobblers History | Star Wars Holographic History | Star Wars Plush History | Star Wars Hikari History | Star Wars Dorbz History | Star Wars Vynl History

In 1998, Funko was formed by Mike Becker and their very first product was actually a Wacky Wobbler - Bob's Big Boy. He got the licensing rights because he wanted a coin bank of the character but did not want to pay the insane collectors prices for the existing item ($1000+)

In 2007, after Brian Mariotti was already in control of Funko (Announced Fundays #3 in 2005), he announced the agreement with Lucasfilm to produce Star Wars Wacky Wobblers! This meant that Funko can apply its beloved wobbler style to the gicantic license that is Star Wars and allow for fans to see their favorite characters reimagined in a new form. This was huge news for Funko and evidence of their growth and increasing respect in the collectibles community. (See Brian's post)

Along with July's first wave of Vader and Clone Trooper, Funko released Holo Vader and Shock Trooper at SDCC 2007.

Additionally, in 2007 Entertainment Earth had what they called a "Holiday" Boba Fett. It was Boba Fett Droids (holiday special), a repaint of the regular, 2000pcs.

JobaFett wrote:My Contribution since I like taking bland background pics :)
I do have a bit of trivia to add here though. Originally, the darth vader wobbler was going to have a smaller head (images 4 and 5 below), however they decided to increase the size for the final production pieces (images 1-3 below). What is odd, is that the holo vaders (images 6 & 7 below) still retained the original smaller head.

Series 1 made it into the 2008 catalog (along with series 2)

It is interesting to note that Wacky Wobbler rides were introduced with Series 1 (Vader with tie fighter) and Series 2 (Luke with x-wing). Vader also had a chase variant with a black tie fighter.

In 2008, Entertainment Earth also got it's first true "Holiday" full size Wacky Wobbler Vader, also 2000pcs like their 2007 Boba.

Also in 2008, Funko added Holiday Yoda and Jawa. In 2009, Vader and C-3PO. And finally in 2010, R2-D2 (image from 2010 catalog when we first see them printed)

Starting with Vader in 2008, Funko made Computer Sitters that came with 3M sticky tape on the bottom to place on top of your monitor; by 2011, all 3 were included in the Toy Fair Catalog.

In 2010, Funko introduced the Monster Mash up series where they mixed Star Wars characters with universal monsters that included the following 4.

In 2011, Funko introduced WiseCracks, a new line that had clever puns on the bases of the StarWars wobblers. The image below is from the 2014 catalog and includes the newly added Han & Chewie.

In 2011, Monster Mash up minis were introduced (~4.5inch vs 7), adding jawa and tusken raider. It is unclear whether they were designed with the intention of making them minis, but them and the original monster mash up line from 2010 were made into the minis.

Trivia - Maul's monster artwork was revealed in the 2011 catalog but was never made :-/

In 2013, the Angry Birds Star Wars Mash up became a thing. Lasted about as long as the game's popularity.

More importantly, in 2013, the catalog featured the new *Mini* wobblers/bobble heads line up (made in 2010)! They were sold in sets of 2 and there were 3 different sets to choose from. They really are mini!

JobaFett wrote:A little bit of additional mini wobbler info. There is actually a 5 pack that's missing Chewbacca and also as single 'blind boxes', given away with certain purchases from what I believe was a Scholastic catalogue (the one you got books from in school). They weren't really blind boxes though because each one had a unique UPC.
I might have some of those facts mixed up, it's been a long time since I bugged someone for that information :)

In 2016 the Wobbler line (no longer wacky) was introduced during ECCC and the Star Wars line was added in August, including iconic characters such as Leia and Boba Fett. These Wobblers combine the stylized appeal of Pop! with traditional bobblehead design.
Soon after the same 2016 year, the line was expanded to include new Rogue One characters such as Jyn Erso

During ECCC, Yoko also showed a slide with Kylo and Rey wobblers which we have yet to see. Given that they are TFA style, they may have been cancelled but it seems like they were far along in development so hopefully not.

In March 2017 the first Con exclusive Wobbler from the new line was introduced. A repaint of the Boba announced in 2016 but this time white (proto armor) for Star Wars Celebration.

In August of the same year, Funko revealed The Last Jedi Wobblers, which include ones such as this adorable Chewie with Porg.

In 2018, along with the other Solo merch, a few Wobblers were added, including the smooth talking smugglers - Lando.

Thank you for checking this out :freddy2:

FANTASTIC POST!!!! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
I'm Greg. My son is "RSVHockeyDude". We collect Funko products together.
Pop! Count = 3133
Pop! Pez Count = 197
Funko Soda (My New Favorite): 762 different Sodas including Intl Versions
Other Funko Products (Hikari, Vynl, Wobblers, etc) = 87
Proto Count = 14 Pop (Mostly NHL; a little of Battlestar Galactica, Star Wars, Disney, The Simpsons); 4 Soda (NYCC Freddy)