Funko x Kidrobot

Here's a place to talk about Funko's clothing, books and bookmarks, homeware, electronics, and the like.
Nerdfulthingz

Funko x Kidrobot

Postby Nerdfulthingz » Thu May 11, 2023 1:23 pm

I know this could be a controversial topic for some in the Vinyl Toy world, but Funko has been slowly integrating into this area and even holds a place at DCon now! While I will always be grateful for the Funko community and everything it has done for me, Kidrobot is where I really became a collector and they will always hold a special place in my toy heart.

We recently lost a pioneer in the Vinyl world, Frank Kozik. Frank had been around long before I started collecting and I had the opportunity to meet him several times at different events. He will truly be missed.

His passing kinda got me thinking that maybe Funko and KR could do a collaboration, like some Smorkin' Labbits in Frank's name!? It would be a great tribute to a great name in the toy world. I know Funko has partnered with Ron English in the past and I'm sure there are other artists out there who wouldn't mind being "Popped".
I just like smiling...smilings my favorite

Scotty
Rookie Of The year
Rookie Of The year

Re: Funko x Kidrobot

Postby Scotty » Thu May 11, 2023 1:44 pm

That's sad news. Way too young.

My wife has a cabinet full of Dunny's. Sadly, we don't have any Kozik pieces.

RIP
Image Image
2013 Rookie of the Year - COTM May 2014

Serch_na

Postby Serch_na » Thu May 11, 2023 1:52 pm

I think it could happen, in the past Funko already made strange collabs like the Playmobil or the Reaction with Super 7.
NYCC 2022
Deadpool - Photography - Mexican

x3r0

Postby x3r0 » Thu May 11, 2023 1:57 pm

Scotty wrote:That's sad news. Way too young.

RIP

Definitely RIP ~sigh

I own a couple of Dunnys too, having Funko involved would be rather interesting… but I really don’t hope it occurs though only because I think (based on interviews I did with designers), didn’t appreciate funko as much when they were at designer con one year. I may be wrong with their choice of words they’ve shared with me, but I know some attendees weren’t happy also.

It’s a touchy and controversial insight in this realm.

Only time will tell :eek:
Collecting since 2010

..I like to take photos of anything...

Funko Hollywood Grand Opening
Funko Hollywood's Sid and Marty Krofft
Funko Hollywood’s Funkon

Instagram: Euphoria Imaging

tlaloc666

Postby tlaloc666 » Thu May 11, 2023 2:30 pm

I need a funko x urban aztec ( jesse hernandez ) collaboration
Kyko here !!

Tik tok : @kyko_tj
Tijuana The Happiest Place on Earth !!

Funko events attended
Fundays 2015
Fundays 2016
Funko Fright Night
Fundays 2017
Premiere Making Fun
Fundays 2018
Fundays 2019
HQ Hollywood Opening 2019
ECCC VIrtual Con 2020
Summer Virtual Con 2020
Funkon 2021
Fundays 2021
Funko Fright Night 2 NYC 2022

Nerdfulthingz

Postby Nerdfulthingz » Thu May 11, 2023 2:31 pm

x3r0 wrote:
Scotty wrote:That's sad news. Way too young.

RIP

Definitely RIP ~sigh

I own a couple of Dunnys too, having Funko involved would be rather interesting… but I really don’t hope it occurs though only because I think (based on interviews I did with designers), didn’t appreciate funko as much when they were at designer con one year. I may be wrong with their choice of words they’ve shared with me, but I know some attendees weren’t happy also.

It’s a touchy and controversial insight in this realm.

Only time will tell :eek:

I hear you! My fella and I often talk with our favorite artists and they are typically not fans of the Funko products. We attended the first year Funko was at DCon in 2018 and heard some mixed reactions from some artists. Last year in 2022 (and in 2019) at SDCC it seemed like they have mellowed out a bit and more accepting of what Funko brings. You cannot deny Funko is for their fans and for collectors so if done right, I think they could have some really schweet colabs!!

Nerdfulthingz

Postby Nerdfulthingz » Thu May 11, 2023 2:33 pm

tlaloc666 wrote:I need a funko x urban aztec ( jesse hernandez ) collaboration

YAAASS!! We met him once and he is all about the fans and the hustle!! He's a really neat person to meet and talk to if you haven't! Super cool dude and so talented!!

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Thu May 11, 2023 2:35 pm

Nerdfulthingz wrote:I know this could be a controversial topic for some in the Vinyl Toy world, but Funko has been slowly integrating into this area and even holds a place at DCon now! While I will always be grateful for the Funko community and everything it has done for me, Kidrobot is where I really became a collector and they will always hold a special place in my toy heart.

We recently lost a pioneer in the Vinyl world, Frank Kozik. Frank had been around long before I started collecting and I had the opportunity to meet him several times at different events. He will truly be missed.

His passing kinda got me thinking that maybe Funko and KR could do a collaboration, like some Smorkin' Labbits in Frank's name!? It would be a great tribute to a great name in the toy world. I know Funko has partnered with Ron English in the past and I'm sure there are other artists out there who wouldn't mind being "Popped".

I would be suprised if that happens. as KR has mostly been anti funko for as long as I can remember.
ImageImageImage

Some people call me the orange hoodie

ISO funko Force creature from black lagoon chase Glow in the dark

Brutesquad

Postby Brutesquad » Thu May 11, 2023 4:05 pm

hpellot wrote:
Nerdfulthingz wrote:I know this could be a controversial topic for some in the Vinyl Toy world, but Funko has been slowly integrating into this area and even holds a place at DCon now! While I will always be grateful for the Funko community and everything it has done for me, Kidrobot is where I really became a collector and they will always hold a special place in my toy heart.

I would be suprised if that happens. as KR has mostly been anti funko for as long as I can remember.

It's definitely one of those "time will tell situations", DCON artists and the founder Ben in particular were pretty vocal about Funko not being a part of that community, but then the collab with Medicom happened and boom, Bob's your uncle! I think it would be cool to have some KR team up or just other designer artist collabs happen!

x3r0

Postby x3r0 » Thu May 11, 2023 4:15 pm

Nerdfulthingz wrote:

YAAASS!! We met him once and he is all about the fans and the hustle!! He's a really neat person to meet and talk to if you haven't! Super cool dude and so talented!!

could not agree any more, Jesse is one cool peeps, met him several times at DCON.
Collecting since 2010

Funko Hollywood’s Funkon

x3r0

Postby x3r0 » Thu May 11, 2023 4:18 pm

Brutesquad wrote:
hpellot wrote:

It's definitely one of those "time will tell situations", DCON artists and the founder Ben in particular were pretty vocal about Funko not being a part of that community, but then the collab with Medicom happened and boom, Bob's your uncle! I think it would be cool to have some KR team up or just other designer artist collabs happen!

It would be neat to see, a tribute, but if Frank wasn't a fan of Funko though, then... what.. ? #-o

and I also do recall KR has been anti too... I mean, just what Brutesquad mentioned, maybe time will only tell, but I am honestly having a hard time to adjust and accept that ideology too.. just too much controversy and such. Not trying to stir waters here, just observing and giving somewhat meaningful insight.
Collecting since 2010

Funko Hollywood’s Funkon

Toys R Us Kid

Postby Toys R Us Kid » Thu May 11, 2023 4:38 pm

After the Medicom collab, I can totally see this happening in the future. I’d love more light in the designer toy direction. Some sort of blind box collab feels appropriate too.
Jorge, here! Instagram: toys.r.us.kid
Fundays 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023 | "Making Fun" Hollywood Premier | Funko Hollywood Grand Opening
Fright Night II 2022 | Mask - O - Raid 2022 | FDO9 Sacramento | Funkon I & II

x3r0

Postby x3r0 » Thu May 11, 2023 4:41 pm

Toys R Us Kid wrote:After the Medicom collab, I can totally see this happening in the future. I’d love more light in the designer toy direction. Some sort of blind box collab feels appropriate too.

That’ll be nice to see, like the mini Dunny approach? 8-[
Collecting since 2010

Funko Hollywood’s Funkon

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Fri May 12, 2023 11:27 am

x3r0 wrote:
Brutesquad wrote:
hpellot wrote:

It would be neat to see, a tribute, but if Frank wasn't a fan of Funko though, then... what.. ? #-o

and I also do recall KR has been anti too... I mean, just what Brutesquad mentioned, maybe time will only tell, but I am honestly having a hard time to adjust and accept that ideology too.. just too much controversy and such. Not trying to stir waters here, just observing and giving somewhat meaningful insight.

Frank was a fan of funko at all. But hey maybe KR will do a collab you never know.
ImageImageImage

Ronnie18

Postby Ronnie18 » Fri May 12, 2023 11:50 am

I used to have a few dunnys. I wouldn’t mind seeing a collaboration with Funko.

Nerdfulthingz

Postby Nerdfulthingz » Fri May 12, 2023 12:58 pm

x3r0 wrote:
Toys R Us Kid wrote:After the Medicom collab, I can totally see this happening in the future. I’d love more light in the designer toy direction. Some sort of blind box collab feels appropriate too.

That would be neat! I miss the days of the new Dunny releases back at my local shop...big party and everyone would buy and open what they got, sell and trade! So much fun! FDO is great and similar, but something about a new release and not knowing what you were going to get!

jcrook

Postby jcrook » Fri May 12, 2023 1:02 pm

x3r0 wrote:
Nerdfulthingz wrote:

could not agree any more, Jesse is one cool peeps, met him several times at DCON.

If I get a chance to go to DCon next year will look him up, sounds like someone whose work I would like following.
Funko Fundays 2017
FunKon 2021
SDCC 2017, 2018, 2022

I go by Crook

Nerdfulthingz

Postby Nerdfulthingz » Fri May 12, 2023 1:18 pm

jcrook wrote:
x3r0 wrote:
Nerdfulthingz wrote:

If I get a chance to go to DCon next year will look him up, sounds like someone whose work I would like following.

For sure! If you like Aztec design, he is your guy! He also does customs!

Nerdfulthingz

Postby Nerdfulthingz » Fri May 12, 2023 2:12 pm

hpellot wrote:
x3r0 wrote:
Brutesquad wrote:

Frank was a fan of funko at all. But hey maybe KR will do a collab you never know.

True, just seems like there is room for everyone and they have very different places in the toy world for sure! Like if you created a character and someone thought it was so cool they wanted to make different versions of it...should be more like a complement in many ways if you ask me! I guess because I have multiple lines of art and toys that I collect, I like when they all come together and I think for me it would be a great colab! Of course I 100% respect the individual opinion so if it would be offensive to Frank then of course no Labbit Pop!

questkid32

Postby questkid32 » Fri May 12, 2023 2:16 pm

I would absolutely love this. I hope that Funko and Mondo expand upon their already traditionally great offerings this year at DCon. It still amazes me that more people don't attend - it's a great show.

x3r0

Postby x3r0 » Fri May 12, 2023 2:46 pm

Nerdfulthingz wrote:
x3r0 wrote:

That would be neat! I miss the days of the new Dunny releases back at my local shop...big party and everyone would buy and open what they got, sell and trade! So much fun! FDO is great and similar, but something about a new release and not knowing what you were going to get!

That was like in 2010 era or earlier. — know of some shops did that in my area also. Now I collect shards (by Scott tolleson) lol … but anyways. I’m curious if this will ever occur. Just seeing mash ups.
Collecting since 2010

Funko Hollywood’s Funkon

x3r0

Postby x3r0 » Fri May 12, 2023 2:48 pm

questkid32 wrote:I would absolutely love this. I hope that Funko and Mondo expand upon their already traditionally great offerings this year at DCon. It still amazes me that more people don't attend - it's a great show.

Designer toys are expensive compared to funko … by far.. but would agree, anyone who hasn’t gone before should definitely check it out. Just to see the endless possibilities of enjoying nostalgia to new ways of designer con has to offer.
Collecting since 2010

Funko Hollywood’s Funkon

jcrook

Postby jcrook » Fri May 12, 2023 5:09 pm

questkid32 wrote:I would absolutely love this. I hope that Funko and Mondo expand upon their already traditionally great offerings this year at DCon. It still amazes me that more people don't attend - it's a great show.

Was Funko at DCon in 2022? I didn’t remember seeing them there
Funko Fundays 2017
FunKon 2021
SDCC 2017, 2018, 2022

I go by Crook

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Sat May 13, 2023 2:12 pm

Funko did dcon once years ago.
Mondo typically has gone the past few years.

With dcons dates changing this year I expect it to be a bit empty
ImageImageImage

tlaloc666

Postby tlaloc666 » Sun May 14, 2023 3:15 pm

jcrook wrote:
x3r0 wrote:
Nerdfulthingz wrote:

Is a great person I always try to say hi everytime I can at cons.
Kyko here !!

Tik tok : @kyko_tj
Tijuana The Happiest Place on Earth !!

Funko events attended
Fundays 2015
Fundays 2016
Funko Fright Night
Fundays 2017
Premiere Making Fun
Fundays 2018
Fundays 2019
HQ Hollywood Opening 2019
ECCC VIrtual Con 2020
Summer Virtual Con 2020
Funkon 2021
Fundays 2021
Funko Fright Night 2 NYC 2022

BearyAllen

Postby BearyAllen » Tue May 16, 2023 6:13 pm

Was definitely sad to hear of Frank's passing, and also hope Funko does continue to work with more "lowbrow" artists. They're still putting new stuff out with Ron English, I love that Screaming Clown!!

NCDS

Postby NCDS » Tue May 16, 2023 6:27 pm

I actually just heard about his passing a few hours ago, I was sad to hear he is no longer with us.
ISO Pockets Snapsie
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

baghramdunks

Postby baghramdunks » Wed May 17, 2023 2:15 am

This is a great idea. RIP to a legend. I own a few KR dunnys and this would be a dope collab tbh

Nerdfulthingz

Postby Nerdfulthingz » Tue May 23, 2023 7:06 pm

x3r0 wrote:

Designer toys are expensive compared to funko … by far.. but would agree, anyone who hasn’t gone before should definitely check it out. Just to see the endless possibilities of enjoying nostalgia to new ways of designer con has to offer.

Agreed they can be more expensive but some were reasonable and Dunnys were pretty affordable when I first started. Of course rates have gone up!

x3r0

Postby x3r0 » Tue May 23, 2023 7:46 pm

Nerdfulthingz wrote:
x3r0 wrote:

Agreed they can be more expensive but some were reasonable and Dunnys were pretty affordable when I first started. Of course rates have gone up!

Scott Tolleson’s works are beautiful. May taskone RIP also.

But yeah. It’s wild and interesting how fast dunny inspired so many lives.

But again.. if funko taps into Dunny. I wonder how they’ll approach it. Since they kinda doing that with the faceted since Scott and Task has done shard.. kinda similar concept.
Collecting since 2010

Funko Hollywood’s Funkon

FunkoBurro3

Postby FunkoBurro3 » Tue May 23, 2023 9:10 pm

That would be great. kidrobot was my start as well with the Simpsons and Futurama line. Then I discovered other collectibles which lead me to funko!
It would be awesome to see some type of collab honoring Frank Kozik.
Abel H 3 :freddy2:
The United Funko Family

-Funkowood (Funko Hollywood) Grand Opening
-Funko Virtual-Con 2020
-Funkon 2021
-SDCC-Special Edition 2021- Pop! Quiz - Auditions (Rejected)
-Funko Fundays 2022
-FDO9- San Diego 2023
-Camp Fundays 2023 (Sandwich survivor!)

Imagery
Hall of Fame Class of 2022
Hall of Fame Class of 2022

Postby Imagery » Tue May 23, 2023 10:04 pm

It was unfortunate to hear of his passing — I didn't own any of his pieces, but appreciated his style.

I'm not sure that particular collab would work, but I could definitely see some artists appreciating a little boost and added recognition for their work
Funklub member 2016000004714 a.k.a. Sarah
ISO: Ursula, 1/24 Freddy Mad Hatter; NBC Zero Mopeez; Despicable Me 3 Target exclusive PSHs; Freddy Flux Winky and Smiley; HT & Walmart exclusive Disney Villains MMs
Funko events attended: 2016 Fright Night; 2017 & 2018 FDO — Canada; Funkon 2021; Fundays Teams 2017 — Justice League, 2018 — Goonies, 2019 — Loko Moko, 2021 — Proto Punks, 2022 — Pop Protectors

Geescube
HoF 2016 & CotM
HoF 2016 & CotM

Postby Geescube » Tue May 23, 2023 10:13 pm

Used to love Kozik! It is a great loss to the art and vinyl community for sure. He was wayyy too young. :(

But From what i recall Kozik hated funko and especially loathed being located near the booth at SDCC. Alot alot of KR collectors are miserable and loved to complain about folks that collected Funko.

Seems like a mismatch.

I collect both. Its def okay to leave them as separate things

MaxFMusic

Postby MaxFMusic » Wed May 24, 2023 3:44 pm

In the past I collected a lot of KidRobot's figures, and I think a collaboration like this would be very cool to see!
Max F.
Media Scorer, Composer, and Trumpeter
Collecting since November 2013
Funatic Member since July 2022
200+ Funko products in my collection :freddy1:

questkid32

Postby questkid32 » Wed May 24, 2023 5:21 pm

hpellot wrote:

Funko did dcon once years ago.
Mondo typically has gone the past few years.

With dcons dates changing this year I expect it to be a bit empty

I had no idea they changed the dates until I saw your post. Wonder why they would do it one week before Christmas... Honestly, pretty short sighted, even if they HAD to change off of their November dates. Feels like even January would have been a better time. Now I'm not certain even I'll be able to make it...

Popfanatics

Postby Popfanatics » Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:15 am

I thought Ben said Funko wasn’t welcomed at DCon lol
It’s me Lynda

xHEMLOCKx
Hall of Fame Class of 2009
Hall of Fame Class of 2009

Postby xHEMLOCKx » Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:34 pm

When pops first came out Kozik tried really hard to get funko to do one of his figures as a pop. It did not work out. Kozik hated funko since.
Hi, I am Bo

Fame is vapor, popularity an accident, riches take wing. Only one thing endures and that is character. - Lincoln

We need Dr. Seuss and Peewee Herman POP!

Geescube
HoF 2016 & CotM
HoF 2016 & CotM

Postby Geescube » Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:20 am

xHEMLOCKx wrote:When pops first came out Kozik tried really hard to get funko to do one of his figures as a pop. It did not work out. Kozik hated funko since.

OOOH THIS EXPLAINS IT. I had no idea. Do you happen to recall which figure?

willy wonka
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby willy wonka » Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:54 am

A collaboration would be neat but I like them being separate. I have a small kid Robot collection(mainly Simpsons). I enjoy both and don't like when things start to mishmash.
Just call me Joe...

ImageImage
ISO: Freddy Mad Hatter LE 1/24, Mad Hatter Protos,
SDCC 4 Pack Dorbz(Found thanks to another Funatic)

Jeffryan73

Postby Jeffryan73 » Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:16 pm

I like the idea of the Andy Warhol collab
Family, Friends and Funko :beerchug:

Return to “Other Funko Products”