Project Fred: Big Boy (title changed by moderator)

Here's a place to talk about Funko's clothing, books and bookmarks, homeware, electronics, and the like.
Bam808

Re: Project Fred: Big Boy (title changed by moderator)

Postby Bam808 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:41 pm

Cool to see that there was so many attempting to get the Project Fred! Tried myself and wasnt selected but im hoping for a chance for obtaining one in the future.

SusanBurk

Postby SusanBurk » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:24 pm

wolfy233 wrote:
SusanBurk wrote:No one I know personally won, but I’m glad to see some people on here won.

I signed up for it because FOMO, but Big Boy isn’t a line I collect. I hope they do some others because I like the size.

Same. I didn't sign up but I know of four people and all struck out. I might go for whatever the next character is; have a feeling I'm gonna want in.

Yeah I’m sure I’ll be in for some and will probably try for each one if they are popular to use as trades for any I want and miss out on.

ocwankenobi

Postby ocwankenobi » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:37 pm

Thoughts on the project fred 2 and 3 ? They are cool to me. But cost and space trying to stay in control.
(Signature powered by VALOR Industries 4.0)

Hopesdenial

Postby Hopesdenial » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:04 pm

ocwankenobi wrote:Thoughts on the project fred 2 and 3 ? They are cool to me. But cost and space trying to stay in control.

I like the sprite chase but too expensive for a chance to get one.

Arneldenal

Postby Arneldenal » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:38 pm

Hopesdenial wrote:
ocwankenobi wrote:Thoughts on the project fred 2 and 3 ? They are cool to me. But cost and space trying to stay in control.

I agree they are cool but I think they’re really for like big Coca Cola collectors

ocwankenobi

Postby ocwankenobi » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:04 pm

Arneldenal wrote:
Hopesdenial wrote:

I agree they are cool but I think they’re really for like big Coca Cola collectors

I watched some show about Coke collectors. They are Funko level for sure. Some have every bottle ever created.

cliffd64
Hall of Fame Class of 2006

Postby cliffd64 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:23 am

Not a fan of these two... at the price point. I realize they are more expensive to make and that's fine. Just not a fan of just imprinting the logos on them... It's just not as interesting as the first ProjectFred was.

Maybe down the road they could contract with some actual designers/artists to create cool designs on this platform.
Image ImageImage Image Image Image Image

ocwankenobi

Postby ocwankenobi » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:35 pm

cliffd64 wrote:Not a fan of these two... at the price point. I realize they are more expensive to make and that's fine. Just not a fan of just imprinting the logos on them... It's just not as interesting as the first ProjectFred was.

Maybe down the road they could contract with some actual designers/artists to create cool designs on this platform.

Agree. Like the Megadorbz Captain and the slightly smaller megadorbz Marvin. Winnings going to the military again even better.

Markn12

Postby Markn12 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:11 pm

I’d like to see artist collabs on these. Ron English, Sket One, Kaws, others would be fun and justify the price point for me.

Arneldenal

Postby Arneldenal » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:33 pm

ocwankenobi wrote:
Arneldenal wrote:
Hopesdenial wrote:

I watched some show about Coke collectors. They are Funko level for sure. Some have every bottle ever created.

Definitely could see it being a popular connection

plumb102

Postby plumb102 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:15 am

Markn12 wrote:I’d like to see artist collabs on these. Ron English, Sket One, Kaws, others would be fun and justify the price point for me.

Ron English is one of my FAV designers- excellent idea.
SDCC 1996-current - Wondercon 2012-current - LACC 2021-current - ECCC '22 - Niagara Falls Con '22 - Designer Con '23
FunKon Hollywood '21 - Pasadena Con 2023-current - FunKon 2 HQ '22 - WonderCon Beach Bash '22 - Funkoville SDCC '22 & '23 -
WonderCon Fun House '23 - Back to the Beginning: Bob's Big Boy Meetup '24 - Comic-Con Revolution '24

SpaceDude
Rookie Of The year
Rookie Of The year

Postby SpaceDude » Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:38 pm

Markn12 wrote:I’d like to see artist collabs on these. Ron English, Sket One, Kaws, others would be fun and justify the price point for me.

I totally agree! Kaws and Ron English would be super cool! :cheers:
Tate/SpaceDude's Pop Vault :freddy3:
2020 Rookie of the Year
Instagram: spacedudespopvault
Facebook: Tate McCarty
Colorado Funatic

kidleaderkty

Postby kidleaderkty » Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:04 pm

Not my type of branding for project fred, but some sure will like the two new versions.
SDCC 2024, first time attending!

Next on my list is to attend Fundays!

Anime fanatic

rontonsoup

Postby rontonsoup » Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:03 pm

dolphinax2 wrote:
rontonsoup wrote:I read an article where it said there were 15k people in queue to buy the Freddy. That’s dope. I honestly didn’t think that many people were interested, but I’m glad they were. Brings new energy to collecting :)

I was surprised too but it’s awesome that it did so well. =D>

I wonder how the new soda ones will do
Collecting since 2014: "A couple that collects together, stays together."

angrykoalagear

Postby angrykoalagear » Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:43 pm

While I liked Project Fred starting with Big Boy, I am not feeling the Coke and Sprite for this. I would love to see more characters for this project. I also had to think about the price point and for the number being released, it is high.

BearyAllen

Postby BearyAllen » Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:09 pm

I can always appreciate the initiative of trying something new and bringing in new fans, its not really for me personally but maybe it will lead to something I need for my collection!

AnyGivenFunko

Postby AnyGivenFunko » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:21 pm

I'm interested in Project Fred: Coca-Cola chase variant. Mainly because it has Korean lettering on it. 코카 = koka, 콜라 = kolla

I remember drinking 코카콜라 in Korea and it tasted terrible. It had no carbonation and it was just plain flat.
Dennis
IG: AnyGivenFunko

Funko Events: "17, "22, and "23 Fundays, "Making Fun" Hollywood Premiere, Irvine Spectrum PEZ event, Funko Hollywood Grand Opening, FDO8, FDO9, FunKon Hollywood, "22 & "23 Mask-O-raid, Fright Night II, Bob's Big Boy

fieldsy32

Postby fieldsy32 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:26 pm

I love the sprite one. Hoping I can score this time around.
Eric, decently tall guy.

2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023 Fundays
Funko HQ Grand Opening
2015, 2017, 2018, 2023 FDO
2022 Fright Night

ComicsZombie

Postby ComicsZombie » Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:20 pm

I really like the designs of the Commons! The Coca-Cola and Sprite look amazing against the plain or gradient color field on the figure. I still can't justifu them, but good luck everyone who is trying! Hopefully I see one I want soon.
#BeastBoyShrine
ISO: >> \:D/ Any Beast Boy Proto (in White and color), & My Hero Academia Wave 2 Protos <<

"I don't collect LEGOs. I play with LEGOs. I don't play with Pops. I collect Pops."

IG: ComicsZombie
TW: @ComicsZombie
Tumblr: TheComicsZombie
YT: ComicsZombie

cliffd64

Postby cliffd64 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:54 am

I wonder why they can't have these things ready to ship before they offer them for sale... It will be yet another 6 weeks before the FIRST sale item ships ... I'm getting worn out by having to foot the bill for essentially an expensive pre-order. They KNOW that they will sell 750 so make them and have them ready to ship.
Image ImageImage Image Image Image Image

plumb102

Postby plumb102 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:54 am

cliffd64 wrote:I wonder why they can't have these things ready to ship before they offer them for sale... It will be yet another 6 weeks before the FIRST sale item ships ... I'm getting worn out by having to foot the bill for essentially an expensive pre-order. They KNOW that they will sell 750 so make them and have them ready to ship.

This is most definitely a reasonable ask.. people could be close to spending $1k already without receiving anything yet.
SDCC 1996-current - Wondercon 2012-current - LACC 2021-current - ECCC '22 - Niagara Falls Con '22 - Designer Con '23
FunKon Hollywood '21 - Pasadena Con 2023-current - FunKon 2 HQ '22 - WonderCon Beach Bash '22 - Funkoville SDCC '22 & '23 -
WonderCon Fun House '23 - Back to the Beginning: Bob's Big Boy Meetup '24 - Comic-Con Revolution '24

ocwankenobi

Postby ocwankenobi » Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:00 pm

plumb102 wrote:
cliffd64 wrote:I wonder why they can't have these things ready to ship before they offer them for sale... It will be yet another 6 weeks before the FIRST sale item ships ... I'm getting worn out by having to foot the bill for essentially an expensive pre-order. They KNOW that they will sell 750 so make them and have them ready to ship.

This is most definitely a reasonable ask.. people could be close to spending $1k already without receiving anything yet.

I agree 100. Last needed preorder was the Star Wars Christmas figure mail-in cards in the 1970s. Please put them up when they are ready to ship.

zackispoppin

Postby zackispoppin » Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:04 pm

I really like the idea of the same mold with different designs… I feel like a collection on a shelf would look phenomenal. I understand Funko wanting to dip more into the “designer” vinyl space but with the QC of these by the looks of it the price point is just too high for me to justify. I love they’re sorta bringing back routine drops with an actually limited production run, but the hydro-dip look just seems a bit tacky IMO. I liked the Big Boy drop but, again, wish the paint job and overall design was a bit more meticulous at such a high price.
Yes... we're still here! Hoping Fundays 2024 will be my first! :bounce:

zackispoppin

Postby zackispoppin » Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:06 pm

zackispoppin wrote:I really like the idea of the same mold with different designs… I feel like a collection on a shelf would look phenomenal. I understand Funko wanting to dip more into the “designer” vinyl space but with the QC of these by the looks of it the price point is just too high for me to justify. I love they’re sorta bringing back routine drops with an actually limited production run, but the hydro-dip look just seems a bit tacky IMO. I liked the Big Boy drop but, again, wish the paint job and overall design was a bit more meticulous at such a high price.

Just a little P.S… these remind me a lot of the older “retro” Freddy line. The same mold with various designs at a limited edition is just =D> in my book. But those were $25 or $30 if I’m not mistaken

scullysdad

Postby scullysdad » Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:46 pm

zackispoppin wrote:
zackispoppin wrote:I really like the idea of the same mold with different designs… I feel like a collection on a shelf would look phenomenal. I understand Funko wanting to dip more into the “designer” vinyl space but with the QC of these by the looks of it the price point is just too high for me to justify. I love they’re sorta bringing back routine drops with an actually limited production run, but the hydro-dip look just seems a bit tacky IMO. I liked the Big Boy drop but, again, wish the paint job and overall design was a bit more meticulous at such a high price.

Just a little P.S… these remind me a lot of the older “retro” Freddy line. The same mold with various designs at a limited edition is just =D> in my book. But those were $25 or $30 if I’m not mistaken

Is that the line where Freddy had the round head and his arms out to the side? I liked those too, and I think you are right on the price.
Please Funko make Taylor Swift Pops!

Most wanted non-Taylor Pops: Carson Teva, Naru from Prey, The Last of Us TV show

zackispoppin

Postby zackispoppin » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:00 pm

scullysdad wrote:
zackispoppin wrote:

Is that the line where Freddy had the round head and his arms out to the side? I liked those too, and I think you are right on the price.

YES! There were plenty of Marvel/DC ones as well as a DIY and chrome from what I can recall off the top of my head.

Return to “Other Funko Products”