Varying Edition Sizes

Included with each SODA can is a 4.25” vinyl figure and a collectible disc both with a 1 in 6 chase variant!
Scotty
Rookie Of The year
Rookie Of The year

Varying Edition Sizes

Postby Scotty » Fri May 06, 2022 11:01 am

I looked for a topic on this. Sorry if I missed it.

Anyone else notice the different production run numbers on some of the sodas, for example:

Roger Ramjet in the US: 7,000 pieces
Roger Ramjet in the UK/AU: 4,500 pieces.

Popeye in the US: 10,000 pieces
Popeye in Canada: 4,500 pieces

The pogs in the cans also support these numbers. Just a couple of examples I grabbed from pics on ebay of items "in-hand"

Anyone know what's up with this? World is kind of small nowadays to have the exact same item with different production runs. Or are the items not identical?
Image Image
2013 Rookie of the Year - COTM May 2014

Mawhonic7

Re: Varying Edition Sizes

Postby Mawhonic7 » Fri May 06, 2022 12:09 pm

Good question. With an obscure character like Roger Ramjet, I could understand why the edition size would be lower for Europe but then Popeye seems like an internationally well known character. I would be interested to know why too!
Hi! I’m Eric

Tusken

Postby Tusken » Fri May 06, 2022 12:37 pm

Agree with Erica, good question. I would go with the popularity of that character in the region they are release would play a role. :freddy3:
Hi I'm Tusken.
Top Fan Badge of Funko, Funko Europe, Funko (Hollywood), Funko Games, Funko Blitz
Funko Winner of Danger Mouse 2021 - Twitter
Image Image Image Image

CaseyJones14
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY

Postby CaseyJones14 » Fri May 06, 2022 12:45 pm

Scotty wrote:Anyone know what's up with this? World is kind of small nowadays to have the exact same item with different production runs. Or are the items not identical?

The figures are identical. The only difference is the pog and the can. If you look at the Star Wars Celebration Sodas you’ll see the can differences.

Sodas don’t sell as well at the international level which is probably why the lower numbers. A Funko Shop Soda in the US normally sells out instantly and a lower edition size on Funko Europe sits for quite a while.
Brett - caseyj0nes14 on Instagram
ISO - Dorbz and McNugget Protos!

PaleRiderOfDoom

Postby PaleRiderOfDoom » Fri May 06, 2022 1:33 pm

Makes me wonder why there isn't just a bigger total edition size and not have the need for the two different cans. Maybe doing it this way makes both editions more collectable over all?
ImageImageImageImage
Patrick from Central KY - Admin for The Kentucky Funko League of Awesomeness
Proto wants: Fallout keychains and Vynls, Dr. Doom (Pops or Minis)

Scotty
Rookie Of The year
Rookie Of The year

Postby Scotty » Fri May 06, 2022 11:44 pm

Well, that's kind of my question. Why are there different production runs for the US and non-US markets. Just make a large enough edition size to sell worldwide. It's the same sculpt. Most collectors of almost anything are very conscious of production size, which equates to rarity. The current market is global. There's no US market and Canadian market and European market. I mean, I know there is, but we're no longer limited to shopping in our local areas. So, for Popeye, there aren't 10,000 pieces, there are 14,500. That kind of matters. Oh well. In the end, I guess it doesn't really matter; I don't think democracy will fall (at least not from that). Just wondering what the point is (if it's not to give the appearance of lower numbers which equates to scarcity, which is just a teensy bit dishonest). I'm giving this far too much thought. LOL
Image Image

mongoose12

Postby mongoose12 » Sat May 07, 2022 11:00 am

Scotty wrote:Well, that's kind of my question. Why are there different production runs for the US and non-US markets. Just make a large enough edition size to sell worldwide. It's the same sculpt. Most collectors of almost anything are very conscious of production size, which equates to rarity. The current market is global. There's no US market and Canadian market and European market. I mean, I know there is, but we're no longer limited to shopping in our local areas. So, for Popeye, there aren't 10,000 pieces, there are 14,500. That kind of matters. Oh well. In the end, I guess it doesn't really matter; I don't think democracy will fall (at least not from that). Just wondering what the point is (if it's not to give the appearance of lower numbers which equates to scarcity, which is just a teensy bit dishonest). I'm giving this far too much thought. LOL

The points you make are fair. I don’t know or think it’s an intentional attempt at being dishonest but in the end the production run numbers are greater than advertised. Some will be upset and others will most likely not even notice lol.

lavery01
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby lavery01 » Sat May 07, 2022 11:09 am

I’m going to go with popularity. I feel the edition size pairs with the interest, why have a large edition size in places where there’s no possibility of a sell out. Just my opinion.
Hi I'm Latricia \:D/

FireEmblemZack

Postby FireEmblemZack » Sat May 07, 2022 5:40 pm

Scotty, I think they are made in different factories/ have different production dates. That's why we see the internationals release almost a month or two before the US-versions do. But not confirmed.
Image R.I.P. Buddy, my bestest friend

Hgmaddhatter

Postby Hgmaddhatter » Tue May 24, 2022 1:03 pm

FireEmblemZack wrote:Scotty, I think they are made in different factories/ have different production dates. That's why we see the internationals release almost a month or two before the US-versions do. But not confirmed.

This makes a lot.od sense and I've heard the theory thrown around. The distribution definitely seems vastly different for international releases. Maybe the new Arizona shipping center will change that?
Image Image ImageImage

kdmlvr

Postby kdmlvr » Tue May 24, 2022 7:36 pm

Hgmaddhatter wrote:
FireEmblemZack wrote:Scotty, I think they are made in different factories/ have different production dates. That's why we see the internationals release almost a month or two before the US-versions do. But not confirmed.

This makes a lot.od sense and I've heard the theory thrown around. The distribution definitely seems vastly different for international releases. Maybe the new Arizona shipping center will change that?

Thanks I never noticed that there are two different edition sizes on the soda
Funko Pop Fan & Loungefly fan.

Marvel_Mama

Postby Marvel_Mama » Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:45 pm

I never really understood why ppl collect both editions since just can and pog difference BUT I collect based on specific stickers so who am I to judge ;) same thing. Lol
Diedre Loves her Funko Family
marvel_mama444 on insta - formerly Divade23 Marvel_Mama

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:53 pm

divade23 wrote:I never really understood why ppl collect both editions since just can and pog difference BUT I collect based on specific stickers so who am I to judge ;) same thing. Lol

Ha funny but true its almost the same as different stickers
ImageImageImage

Some people call me the orange hoodie

ISO funko Force creature from black lagoon chase Glow in the dark

Marvel_Mama

Postby Marvel_Mama » Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:49 pm

hpellot wrote:
divade23 wrote:I never really understood why ppl collect both editions since just can and pog difference BUT I collect based on specific stickers so who am I to judge ;) same thing. Lol

Ha funny but true its almost the same as different stickers

LOL ya in the end its all the same figure. But those of us that are in box collectors.... we crazy :D :freddy1:
Diedre Loves her Funko Family
marvel_mama444 on insta - formerly Divade23 Marvel_Mama

HockeyDad

Postby HockeyDad » Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:37 am

Scotty wrote:Well, that's kind of my question. Why are there different production runs for the US and non-US markets. Just make a large enough edition size to sell worldwide. It's the same sculpt. Most collectors of almost anything are very conscious of production size, which equates to rarity. The current market is global. There's no US market and Canadian market and European market. I mean, I know there is, but we're no longer limited to shopping in our local areas. So, for Popeye, there aren't 10,000 pieces, there are 14,500. That kind of matters. Oh well. In the end, I guess it doesn't really matter; I don't think democracy will fall (at least not from that). Just wondering what the point is (if it's not to give the appearance of lower numbers which equates to scarcity, which is just a teensy bit dishonest). I'm giving this far too much thought. LOL

Cause people like me will buy both editions just for the can variations ... lol. \:D/
I'm Greg. My son is "RSVHockeyDude". We collect Funko products together.
Pop! Count = 3133
Pop! Pez Count = 197
Funko Soda (My New Favorite): 762 different Sodas including Intl Versions
Other Funko Products (Hikari, Vynl, Wobblers, etc) = 87
Proto Count = 14 Pop (Mostly NHL; a little of Battlestar Galactica, Star Wars, Disney, The Simpsons); 4 Soda (NYCC Freddy)

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:37 pm

RSVHockeyDad wrote:

Cause people like me will buy both editions just for the can variations ... lol. \:D/

I just want one regular and one chase :)
ImageImageImage

HockeyDad

Postby HockeyDad » Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:11 pm

hpellot wrote:
RSVHockeyDad wrote:

We've actually been buying one international just to have the can variation. We don't even bother to open most of the international. Just want the can :)
Pop! Count = 3133
Pop! Pez Count = 197
Proto Count = 14 Pop (Mostly NHL; a little of Battlestar Galactica, Star Wars, Disney, The Simpsons); 4 Soda (NYCC Freddy)

Ginzo1622

Postby Ginzo1622 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:06 am

RSVHockeyDad wrote:
hpellot wrote:
RSVHockeyDad wrote:

We've actually been buying one international just to have the can variation. We don't even bother to open most of the international. Just want the can :)

The cans is really cool, if I started collecting late I would have done soda than pop
Fundays 2022 - Proto Robots
Fright Night 2022
Fundays 2023 - Protomoa Wolves

Don't stand in my way!!!

:whdat:

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:28 am

RSVHockeyDad wrote:
hpellot wrote:
RSVHockeyDad wrote:

That may be too much soda for me;)
ImageImageImage

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:28 am

RSVHockeyDad wrote:
hpellot wrote:
RSVHockeyDad wrote:

That may be too much soda for me;)
ImageImageImage

plasticempire

Postby plasticempire » Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:29 am

The can and the coin are different but the figure is the same. I'm not a fan either.

islander671

Postby islander671 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:35 pm

I have also noticed this and questioned it as well. I was quite surprised with the INTL counts being significantly lower than the US version. I mean with that being said then the Chase versions definitely have a lower count which should then increase their value, but they are the exact mold. I kind of wished they kept the edition counts universal and just changed the can color and designs which they do already. but thats just my two cents.
ImageImage

Kakarote

Postby Kakarote » Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:35 pm

Scotty wrote:I looked for a topic on this. Sorry if I missed it.

Anyone else notice the different production run numbers on some of the sodas, for example:

Roger Ramjet in the US: 7,000 pieces
Roger Ramjet in the UK/AU: 4,500 pieces.

Popeye in the US: 10,000 pieces
Popeye in Canada: 4,500 pieces

The pogs in the cans also support these numbers. Just a couple of examples I grabbed from pics on ebay of items "in-hand"

Anyone know what's up with this? World is kind of small nowadays to have the exact same item with different production runs. Or are the items not identical?

Is there such a thing?
Image:freddy2:

nyel24

Postby nyel24 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:43 pm

I just started collecting sodas and noticed this as well. In terms of value is there any difference on which is more desirable or it doesn’t matter.

ddiggler421

Postby ddiggler421 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:35 am

Do they do international versions of all the sodas??

Shuttlzworth

Postby Shuttlzworth » Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:39 pm

RSVHockeyDad wrote:
hpellot wrote:
RSVHockeyDad wrote:

Stan Lee I had to have both chases for the display!
Image ImageImageImage

HockeyDad

Postby HockeyDad » Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:40 am

Shuttlzworth wrote:
RSVHockeyDad wrote:
hpellot wrote:

Stan Lee is a good one!
Pop! Count = 3133
Pop! Pez Count = 197

Scotty
Rookie Of The year
Rookie Of The year

Postby Scotty » Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:49 pm

ddiggler421 wrote:Do they do international versions of all the sodas??

I don't know about the current sodas. I don't think they did this with the earlier waves.
Image Image

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:27 pm

RSVHockeyDad wrote:
Shuttlzworth wrote:
RSVHockeyDad wrote:

Stan Lee is a good one!

True
ImageImageImage

Return to “Soda”