Proto vs Artist Proof, which do you prefer?

Included with each SODA can is a 4.25” vinyl figure and a collectible disc both with a 1 in 6 chase variant!
Dewdis

Re: Proto vs Artist Proof, which do you prefer?

Postby Dewdis » Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:11 am

islander671 wrote:
FuegoGlorious wrote:Proto, end of the day AP is just a change to the pog vs a different color design.

As more and more Soda Protos are coming out, I am slowly noticing this point. Lol now I want both a proto and an AP! doesnt hurt to dream big!

Hafa adai prim

Steelo99

Postby Steelo99 » Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:20 am

I like the proto more. But both are very nice

plumb102

Postby plumb102 » Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:39 am

Other than a Soda POG saying AP, how can you tell the difference between the Proto vs Artist Proof? :-k
SDCC 1996-current - Wondercon 2012-current - LACC 2021-current - ECCC '22 - Niagara Falls Con '22 - Designer Con '23
FunKon Hollywood '21 - Pasadena Con 2023-current - FunKon 2 HQ '22 - WonderCon Beach Bash '22 - Funkoville SDCC '22 & '23 -
WonderCon Fun House '23 - Back to the Beginning: Bob's Big Boy Meetup '24 - Comic-Con Revolution '24

SithLord112

Postby SithLord112 » Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:41 am

Protos are nice but I think I would prefer to have an AP in my collection.
:freddy3:

islander671

Postby islander671 » Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:12 pm

Dewdis wrote:
islander671 wrote:
FuegoGlorious wrote:Proto, end of the day AP is just a change to the pog vs a different color design.

As more and more Soda Protos are coming out, I am slowly noticing this point. Lol now I want both a proto and an AP! doesnt hurt to dream big!

Hafa adai prim

Eyyy Hafa Adai fam!
ImageImageImage

kmandude92

Postby kmandude92 » Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:14 pm

Protos for me - I don't have either, but the proto is so unique compared to the AP (at least it is to me)
Stay Lit, Y'all :-({|=
ISO:
Ezio 21 (looking for all versions - grey outfit, black outfit, blue outfit)
Logan 28 (Box Only - I have the non-bobblehead Pop itself)
Peter Parker 34 (Box Only - I have the Pop itself)
God Loki

ImranC23

Postby ImranC23 » Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:06 pm

I’ve owned both and I personally prefer protos. There’s something about being able to see all the details before paint and textures are applied. Gives you a ton of appreciation for the molds and the artists who dedicate their time to these producgs
ImageImage

Funatic of the Week: March 8th 2019
Instagram:shelfofimran
ISO:Black Cat Prototype, Freddy Funko Boba Fett, Freddy Funko as Venom

Dewdis

Postby Dewdis » Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:00 am

Sucker for protos!

Ohlordypops

Postby Ohlordypops » Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:10 am

plumb102 wrote:Other than a Soda POG saying AP, how can you tell the difference between the Proto vs Artist Proof? :-k

The Proto is normally without any color, or very little color. The AP (from what I can tell), is hand painted so if you look very close you can see some differences in the paint compared to when they are painted for the mass marketing.
Hi! It's Lauren
IG & Twitter: Ohlordypops
Follow me on Instagram: @ohlordypops

DrunkoPop

Postby DrunkoPop » Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:14 am

For the past 3 years, I find it much easier acquiring protos than AP sodas. ;-)
Image Image
ImageImage

LakerSpartan117

Postby LakerSpartan117 » Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:24 am

As cool as the pog for AP soda's are, I have to go with Protos. Why? Because I have a Proto and don't have an AP soda lol

Honestly, they're both cool.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Dahhaka1435

Postby Dahhaka1435 » Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:02 am

Any option would be amazing to have!

LegendOfAsgard

Postby LegendOfAsgard » Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:17 am

Tusken wrote:
CryptoJenkins7 wrote:I prefer artist proof over a proto - I'm fairly certain that the APs are considered to be the "best versions" of the product before going to mass production. These are my only APs but Snow Miser is my favorite and being signed by Becker makes it all the more awesome.

Now that is a great set I would have to say Jenkins! :freddy3:

Wow that is awesome! I've never seen AP Sodas before. Those look great. Congrats to you!

JoeG

Postby JoeG » Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:39 am

So I had the chance to meet Mike Becker during SDCC and he gave my my first AP. Truthfully, I was taking L's left and right this year but he made my con experience.

chosenjuan01

Postby chosenjuan01 » Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:29 pm

I prefer soda protos tbh I just received my first one ever from Mike Becker over at SDCC during his signing. He handed me a colored Namor Soda proto. I was in disbelief could not believe my eyes. I will forever cherish it. So soda protos FTW!Image
I AM THE CHOSENJUAN :dance:
SHINZOU WO SASAGAYO
COMPTON BORN N RAISED

TheVerdant23

Postby TheVerdant23 » Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:26 pm

LegendOfAsgard wrote:
Tusken wrote:
CryptoJenkins7 wrote:I prefer artist proof over a proto - I'm fairly certain that the APs are considered to be the "best versions" of the product before going to mass production. These are my only APs but Snow Miser is my favorite and being signed by Becker makes it all the more awesome.

Now that is a great set I would have to say Jenkins! :freddy3:

Wow that is awesome! I've never seen AP Sodas before. Those look great. Congrats to you!

ya got my first AP from Becker signing at sdcc. He gave me the Kuzco 8000 piece soda and i opened it and was AP. Not sure what its worth if I dont keep it

kmandude92

Postby kmandude92 » Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:23 am

Protos all day! Although I like the APs, Protos are definitely preferred
Stay Lit, Y'all :-({|=
ISO:
Ezio 21 (looking for all versions - grey outfit, black outfit, blue outfit)
Logan 28 (Box Only - I have the non-bobblehead Pop itself)
Peter Parker 34 (Box Only - I have the Pop itself)
God Loki

AnyGivenFunko

Postby AnyGivenFunko » Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:14 pm

I don't care for either. I own two AP sodas. Quick Draw McGraw common AP that I won from Soda Saturday contest and a Colette from Ratatouille chase AP that I got from Mike Becker.
Dennis
IG: AnyGivenFunko

Funko Events: "17, "22, and "23 Fundays, "Making Fun" Hollywood Premiere, Irvine Spectrum PEZ event, Funko Hollywood Grand Opening, FDO8, FDO9, FunKon Hollywood, "22 & "23 Mask-O-raid, Fright Night II, Bob's Big Boy

beckysaurus
HoF 2018 & CotM
HoF 2018 & CotM

Postby beckysaurus » Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:21 pm

cliffd64 wrote:What are the physical differences between an AP and a Proto? Do the APs come with a can and pog? Are they fully painted?

Artist Proofs are fully painted production pieces - they are usually exactly like the completed production piece but a special run just for the company/creator/artist before it all goes to general public. They are not hand-painted protos. They are not protos of any kind.

A proto is a prototype of the item made during the sculpting phase. It's something used to test the sculpt/mold/color vinyl and is unpainted generally, though hand-painted protos do exist where the artist and Funko need to either 1) create a finished piece for a toy show or something or 2) feel like it.

There are additional descriptions and examples if you look a few pages back.
San Diego funatic

YeetGrimes
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Postby YeetGrimes » Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:16 pm

I've never really been into artist proofs since they don't look very different from the others. Prototypes on the other hand, I love how different they look.
Hiya, I'm Julie Bove! I'm an It fanatic and completist as well as an artist that frequently creates Funko and pop culture-related pieces. Check them out on my social medias: https://linktr.ee/yeetgrimes

ImageImageImageImageImage Image

jumpinlilies

Postby jumpinlilies » Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:32 pm

YeetGrimes wrote:I've never really been into artist proofs since they don't look very different from the others. Prototypes on the other hand, I love how different they look.

I agree that the protos are cool becuase they look different from the completed project. The APs are cool too but for me it more of the fact that I know it is an AP that makes it cool rather than the look since it looks the same at the non AP ones.

Tusken

Postby Tusken » Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:10 pm

DrunkoPop wrote:Proto ALL DAY EVERY DAY! Ap Soda can take a hike. :cya:

I agree Protos all day. Love the Underdog DP! :freddy3:
Hi I'm Tusken.
Top Fan Badge of Funko, Funko Europe, Funko (Hollywood), Funko Games, Funko Blitz
Funko Winner of Danger Mouse 2021 - Twitter
Image Image Image Image

Relinquish

Postby Relinquish » Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:46 pm

Are those Kollector Protectors? makes me want to display all my sodas like that ahhh. Also Proto>AP but AP is very very cool as well :) I'd imagine there cant be more than 20-30 APs of any particular Soda then you consider chase variants.. probably only a handful of those so pretty rare.

Kal-El-051

Postby Kal-El-051 » Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:37 pm

To be honest, I am a fan of both.

While the naked eye can’t see a difference from an AP to the production piece a closer look will show how the artist intended production piece to look. The lines are crisp and the colors are all on there as intended. It really is a piece of art.

With that being said, the protos are on a different level in my mind. First ones off the line and a lot more rare will always be of value and importance to the creation process let alone a fan wanting it in their collection.

Relinquish

Postby Relinquish » Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:52 am

Kal-El-051 wrote:To be honest, I am a fan of both.

While the naked eye can’t see a difference from an AP to the production piece a closer look will show how the artist intended production piece to look. The lines are crisp and the colors are all on there as intended. It really is a piece of art.

With that being said, the protos are on a different level in my mind. First ones off the line and a lot more rare will always be of value and importance to the creation process let alone a fan wanting it in their collection.

do you really think the APs look cleaner than the regular release versions? I'd love to see a comparison

Kal-El-051

Postby Kal-El-051 » Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:03 am

Relinquish wrote:

do you really think the APs look cleaner than the regular release versions? I'd love to see a comparison

I do, and it’s a whole lot cleaner in my personal opinion. I will try to get around to taking some pics of the ones I have to show some differences.

Relinquish

Postby Relinquish » Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:59 pm

Kal-El-051 wrote:
Relinquish wrote:

I do, and it’s a whole lot cleaner in my personal opinion. I will try to get around to taking some pics of the ones I have to show some differences.

nice, yeah I'd love to see. to me the APs look the same! but maybe easier when you have both in front of you at once!

DrunkoPop

Postby DrunkoPop » Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:54 pm

Tusken wrote:
DrunkoPop wrote:Proto ALL DAY EVERY DAY! Ap Soda can take a hike. :cya:

I agree Protos all day. Love the Underdog DP! :freddy3:

Thanks! It was my very first soda Proto, acquired at Fright Night. I was so excited. :bounce:
Image Image
ImageImage

Kal-El-051

Postby Kal-El-051 » Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:17 pm

Relinquish wrote:
Kal-El-051 wrote:
Relinquish wrote:

nice, yeah I'd love to see. to me the APs look the same! but maybe easier when you have both in front of you at once!

Here is a side by side of my Rocket Raccoon AP (left) and production release (right).

The front of him you can see a difference in the color of the lighter fur in his face, the black on the control is more matte and not as shiny, and the biggest difference is the zippers on his jacket. They aren’t straight on the production piece, you may need to zoom in to see it though.

The back image, again AP on the left production on the right, you can see that they completely missed to color in a piece of his tail and his straps have cleaner lines between them and the blue suit.

Marvelous7

Postby Marvelous7 » Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:21 pm

islander671 wrote:Hi all,

I recently picked up my very first AP or artist proof Rocksteady and was thrilled to have my very first AP. Then it really started to dawn on me that they hold similar rarity as protos, but are just more closer to production then Protos. Please note that in no way am I trying to insinuate that one is better than the other, obviously it depends on who prefers what and what you collect, so to each there own. So please no bashing here as Id like to make this as a topic to discuss and share, which do you prefer to have in your collection a Proto or an Artist Proof?

Personally only having an Artist Proof piece and no proto, this is special to me and the one I prefer. Maybe that will change, but I hope one day to get this piece signed by the CoF Mike Becker himself, as I intend to keep this piece.

I gor my first Proto given to me by Mike in Seattle for the con. And this year at SDCC he remembered me when i get him to sign my soda. He gave me an AP. But i honestly like Proto more than AP. But im glad i have both now. So im ok with either one

Relinquish

Postby Relinquish » Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:35 pm

Kal-El-051 wrote:
Relinquish wrote:
Kal-El-051 wrote:

Here is a side by side of my Rocket Raccoon AP (left) and production release (right).

The front of him you can see a difference in the color of the lighter fur in his face, the black on the control is more matte and not as shiny, and the biggest difference is the zippers on his jacket. They aren’t straight on the production piece, you may need to zoom in to see it though.

The back image, again AP on the left production on the right, you can see that they completely missed to color in a piece of his tail and his straps have cleaner lines between them and the blue suit.

dang these are very cool, where is the AP show off thread :P

islander671

Postby islander671 » Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:42 pm

Kal-El-051 wrote:
Relinquish wrote:
Kal-El-051 wrote:

Thank you soo much for sharing these side by side Kal-El-051! I definitely can see the differences between the AP and the production piece, and to your point its all in the little details. Love that you provided this, because for most fans they would only notice the pog as the main difference.
ImageImageImage

Relinquish

Postby Relinquish » Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:19 pm

Now I need to acquire some of the regular versions to do comparisons for my APs :p

Kal-El-051

Postby Kal-El-051 » Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:07 am

islander671 wrote:
Kal-El-051 wrote:
Relinquish wrote:

Thank you soo much for sharing these side by side Kal-El-051! I definitely can see the differences between the AP and the production piece, and to your point its all in the little details. Love that you provided this, because for most fans they would only notice the pog as the main difference.

No problem. I have a few others I can put up as well. It will have to wait for the weekend though. Lol!

Dv8sian

Postby Dv8sian » Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:53 pm

I prefer protos, I dont collect to many Sodas
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

evanaki424

Postby evanaki424 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:54 pm

kmandude92 wrote:Protos for me - I don't have either, but the proto is so unique compared to the AP (at least it is to me)

I agree with this one as well. Although, may be biased as I have one proto but no APs

Markn12

Postby Markn12 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:18 pm

APs are awesome, but not even close to the same level as protos in my mind.

sealordbrian

Postby sealordbrian » Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:30 pm

Me personally, I prefer the Artist Proof over a proto for one reason. A majority of protos are actually production samples grabbed at different points throughout the production process. So I think the definition of what is a "proto" is a lot softer than that of an artist proof. I'm sure some will disagree but that's just my take.

funkopants777

Postby funkopants777 » Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:18 am

:duckie:protos pls :duckie:
ImageImageImage

comic book guy

Postby comic book guy » Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:17 am

I would definitely prefer a Proto to an Artists Proof but can appreciate all the reasons why people would choose the AP's
:king: Mike

Return to “Soda”