Rumors of a Soda wind-down

Included with each SODA can is a 4.25” vinyl figure and a collectible disc both with a 1 in 6 chase variant!
willy wonka
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Re: Rumors of a Soda wind-down

Postby willy wonka » Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:57 am

willy wonka wrote:
Katers wrote:
Nooklin wrote:The price increase and the elimination of chases and really high generic piece counts at major retail has killed the vibe. Also seeing the sodas at Walmart and Target opened and ripped up all the time makes hunting unappealing. I’d rather buy directly from local pop stores that also have booths at local cons.

It’s a shame Funko hasn’t partnered with small shops for more exclusive LE events.

I was just thinking that sodas really shouldn't ever be on shelves at the major retailers. It was the same issue that mystery minis had - opened packaging and commons left behind. So disappointing to go from "Oh, a soda!" to "Oh...an OPENED soda". Much more fun to take my chances with an online order!

Yeah even though I order a few and they came opened

Yeah I was able to get my money back for it. Just had to take a extra trip to the store when I should not have had to.
Just call me Joe...

ImageImage
ISO: Freddy Mad Hatter LE 1/24, Mad Hatter Protos,
SDCC 4 Pack Dorbz(Found thanks to another Funatic)

FlinksPoppinPics

Postby FlinksPoppinPics » Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:09 pm

Just when I think its stopped, I see more soda rumors! Fine by me, I just hope they stick to LE counts.

Jonathan (Jenkins) | IG: @FlinksPoppinPics
Make life one long weekend!
#FunkoFamily since 2015

DrunkoPop

Postby DrunkoPop » Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:20 pm

FlinksPoppinPics wrote:Just when I think its stopped, I see more soda rumors! Fine by me, I just hope they stick to LE counts.

Agreed. I hope they unleash an entire years worth of sodas before they close up shop on this successful product.
Image Image
ImageImage

digithor

Postby digithor » Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:11 am

Katers wrote:
digithor wrote:I can see how the new itty bittys are out selling the sodas, besides being the new hot item sodas are a bit expensive with the increase for people outside of the US.

I'm liking itty bittys for both their price point, and their ease of storage! Though now that I'm thinking about it, I'm not sure where I've stored my itty bittys from SDCC! So that's actually a hazard...! lol

Have you checked the itty bitty bag labeled SDCC? :)
SDCC 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
Fundays 2018, 2019, 2021, 2023
HQ Grand Opening, ECCC Night and meetup at HQ, Hollywood Grand Opening, World Premier Making fun
Horror fanatic, GiTD collector, Star Wars
ImageImageImageImage

Elviax

Postby Elviax » Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:28 pm

DrunkoPop wrote:
FlinksPoppinPics wrote:Just when I think its stopped, I see more soda rumors! Fine by me, I just hope they stick to LE counts.

Agreed. I hope they unleash an entire years worth of sodas before they close up shop on this successful product.

Same! Specifically I want them to release the Velma for my scooby set!
Anime/Pokemon Collector

Vinyl4Blood

Postby Vinyl4Blood » Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:07 pm

I like the idea of a slow-down every now and then.
It keeps my wallet from getting overwhelmed, the market from getting saturated, and keeps the lines fresh with top designs.
This way when a new wave or series comes out, there is hype for it, rather than just ... oh look... another soda.

Just so long as it ramps back up after the slow-down. I like the soda line and want to see it flourish.
-They call me... Wes (AKA ScrappyMosier on Twitter & Vinyl4Blood on IG)
"OMG.. I need that"
Pop Grail wish list: Freddy Stark Pop and Comic Con 2009 "Big Fred" wobbler, Camp Fundays Freddy as Spartan. Any condition.

Ohlordypops

Postby Ohlordypops » Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:50 pm

Elviax wrote:
DrunkoPop wrote:

Definitely waiting on this one and hoping it does get released. Will be sad if they stop before Fred and Daphne, but really want to at least get Velma for my collection.
Hi! It's Lauren
IG & Twitter: Ohlordypops
Follow me on Instagram: @ohlordypops

noahhrs

Postby noahhrs » Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:46 am

I used to never like sodas then one day a flip switched and I started loving them. I hope they don’t get rid of them but I definitely think they’ve gone down hill. I totally dislike the lack of piece counts on all of the new Marvel and DC (not sure if it’s other IPs too). Hope they bring that back.
SDCC 23
Camp Fundays 23

Soon: SDCC 24

Katers

Postby Katers » Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:53 am

Wiselordship wrote:
Katers wrote:
Wiselordship wrote:
Agreed. And more hassle on the retailer having to mark down or eat the lose of the "damaged" soda. Or they have them behind the counter or locked up so you don't know if they have it. Ghus makes it too much of a hassle to get them. It was an idea for sure, not sure a good one though.

Honestly, if they wanted to sell sodas at a retailer, they should've actually put them in a soda dispenser. You want one? Pay for it. Select the row and spot you want, it'll drop to the bottom. No opened sodas on shelves, no disappointment for the rest of us!

I've seen some shops have them setup like this. Always thought it was a cool way to do it. Specially with the newer machines that lower and not drop the cans, so they wouldn't be dented. Would make for a much better experience. Not sure how much overhead a vending machine would be.

I have no idea how much a vending machine would be, either, but I would think big box stores like Target and Walmart would consider the expense worth it to keep all the cans sealed until purchase! Just to make it fun - they could put in other problematic products (mystery minis!). The money saved from opened products that have to go on clearance would more than make up for the cost of the vending machine, theoretically?
Image ImageImage Image

Katers

Postby Katers » Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:54 am

Elviax wrote:
Wiselordship wrote:
Katers wrote:
Honestly, if they wanted to sell sodas at a retailer, they should've actually put them in a soda dispenser. You want one? Pay for it. Select the row and spot you want, it'll drop to the bottom. No opened sodas on shelves, no disappointment for the rest of us!

I've seen some shops have them setup like this. Always thought it was a cool way to do it. Specially with the newer machines that lower and not drop the cans, so they wouldn't be dented. Would make for a much better experience. Not sure how much overhead a vending machine would be.

I would love that! For some reason I keep picturing someone getting one thinking its an actual soda and being frustrated lol

We can't solve all the problems... lol And hey, maybe that's the way to bring in new collectors? :mir1:
Image ImageImage Image

Katers

Postby Katers » Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:56 am

willy wonka wrote:
willy wonka wrote:
Katers wrote:
I was just thinking that sodas really shouldn't ever be on shelves at the major retailers. It was the same issue that mystery minis had - opened packaging and commons left behind. So disappointing to go from "Oh, a soda!" to "Oh...an OPENED soda". Much more fun to take my chances with an online order!

Yeah even though I order a few and they came opened

Yeah I was able to get my money back for it. Just had to take a extra trip to the store when I should not have had to.

Best case scenario out of a bad situation, glad it worked out. Frustrating that it happened at all though! ](*,)
Image ImageImage Image

DrunkoPop

Postby DrunkoPop » Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:12 pm

Elviax wrote:
DrunkoPop wrote:

Oh ok. I could see that happen for sure.
Image Image
ImageImage

DrunkoPop

Postby DrunkoPop » Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:13 pm

Ohlordypops wrote:
Elviax wrote:
DrunkoPop wrote:

Definitely waiting on this one and hoping it does get released. Will be sad if they stop before Fred and Daphne, but really want to at least get Velma for my collection.

What is they do another Scooby cooler set? Oh the joy!
Image Image
ImageImage

Wiselordship

Postby Wiselordship » Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:45 pm

Katers wrote:
Elviax wrote:
Wiselordship wrote:I've seen some shops have them setup like this. Always thought it was a cool way to do it. Specially with the newer machines that lower and not drop the cans, so they wouldn't be dented. Would make for a much better experience. Not sure how much overhead a vending machine would be.

I would love that! For some reason I keep picturing someone getting one thinking its an actual soda and being frustrated lol

We can't solve all the problems... lol And hey, maybe that's the way to bring in new collectors? :mir1:

Yea. No return policy, solves it all. Haha

Wiselordship

Postby Wiselordship » Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:49 pm

Katers wrote:
Wiselordship wrote:
Katers wrote:

I have no idea how much a vending machine would be, either, but I would think big box stores like Target and Walmart would consider the expense worth it to keep all the cans sealed until purchase! Just to make it fun - they could put in other problematic products (mystery minis!). The money saved from opened products that have to go on clearance would more than make up for the cost of the vending machine, theoretically?

Right. If I remember correctly most are just allowing you to house your vending machine for a cost. You maintain and fill. So overhead of maintenence and filling would the machine wod be the cost. Seems like it would be not bad overall, especially over wasted opened cans.

Katers

Postby Katers » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:15 am

digithor wrote:
Katers wrote:
digithor wrote:I can see how the new itty bittys are out selling the sodas, besides being the new hot item sodas are a bit expensive with the increase for people outside of the US.

I'm liking itty bittys for both their price point, and their ease of storage! Though now that I'm thinking about it, I'm not sure where I've stored my itty bittys from SDCC! So that's actually a hazard...! lol

Oh, so we're being logical about this? lol

They were in fact in a bag of SDCC sodas and pops...and my Fundays championship medal. :cheers: Seriously though - looking through that bag that held both sodas and itty bittys, I hope both are here to stay. We got some really great Freddy sodas from Fundays 2023, and I can't wait to see what they have in store for 2024!
Image ImageImage Image

Katers

Postby Katers » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:33 am

Wiselordship wrote:
Katers wrote:
Wiselordship wrote:I've seen some shops have them setup like this. Always thought it was a cool way to do it. Specially with the newer machines that lower and not drop the cans, so they wouldn't be dented. Would make for a much better experience. Not sure how much overhead a vending machine would be.

Right. If I remember correctly most are just allowing you to house your vending machine for a cost. You maintain and fill. So overhead of maintenence and filling would the machine wod be the cost. Seems like it would be not bad overall, especially over wasted opened cans.

Right? I'd heard somewhere, once upon a time, that the Funko section at walmart wasn't stocked by employees, but rather a contractor. No difference to them stocking shelves or a vending machine, right?

We're such good problem solvers.
Image ImageImage Image

funko_gtx91

Postby funko_gtx91 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:37 am

To be honest I like the soda over bitty because there is more detail in the soda

DrunkoPop

Postby DrunkoPop » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:23 pm

funko_gtx91 wrote:To be honest I like the soda over bitty because there is more detail in the soda

Agreed and you can barely see the bitty. I can’t even imagine how I would even display them in the wild. :happy6:
Image Image
ImageImage

Wiselordship

Postby Wiselordship » Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:09 pm

Katers wrote:
Wiselordship wrote:
Katers wrote:

Right? I'd heard somewhere, once upon a time, that the Funko section at walmart wasn't stocked by employees, but rather a contractor. No difference to them stocking shelves or a vending machine, right?

Yea. That would make sense. Cause ours is rarely cleaned up and stocked. Lol. Heck I'm surprised someone isn't making a deal to have their own and work with them. Lot of people do vending machines on the side. Might be a good side hussle.

Squird
Hall of Fame Class of 2012

Postby Squird » Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:30 pm

Geescube wrote:Bittys are doing that well?

Exactly.
Funklub: 11181

Squird

Postby Squird » Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:38 pm

I would like them to continue the line, but if they don't they don't. But if they do, I hope they get rid of the open editions and pull them from Targets and Walmart. Product goes there to die.
Funklub: 11181

Fnava87

Postby Fnava87 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:10 am

Squird wrote:I would like them to continue the line, but if they don't they don't. But if they do, I hope they get rid of the open editions and pull them from Targets and Walmart. Product goes there to die.

Real!!…make them a bit more rare lower count too

Katers

Postby Katers » Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:05 am

Wiselordship wrote:
Katers wrote:
Wiselordship wrote:Right. If I remember correctly most are just allowing you to house your vending machine for a cost. You maintain and fill. So overhead of maintenence and filling would the machine wod be the cost. Seems like it would be not bad overall, especially over wasted opened cans.

Yea. That would make sense. Cause ours is rarely cleaned up and stocked. Lol. Heck I'm surprised someone isn't making a deal to have their own and work with them. Lot of people do vending machines on the side. Might be a good side hussle.

Given how many Funko products I've bought in those stores, it would definitely make a great side hussle. And it would be such a treat to find untouched sodas in store!
Image ImageImage Image

The1one1

Postby The1one1 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:06 am

Squird wrote:I would like them to continue the line, but if they don't they don't. But if they do, I hope they get rid of the open editions and pull them from Targets and Walmart. Product goes there to die.

Facts. It seems like more and more I’ve been seeing a huge Funko clearance section at my local target. Not too many sodas but if they keep pumping out huge quantities maybe that’s next.
Aloha! Call me Cliffy!
IG: The1one1

ImageImageImage ImageImage

thejosh2010
HoF 2020 & CotM
HoF 2020 & CotM

Postby thejosh2010 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:36 pm

I really like the line even though I haven’t hit them all like I would do in the past! The chase hunt for literally every one is a bit of chore that makes me less inclined to buy as many, but hopefully this is just a slow down as opposed to a go away.
COTM 01/18
HALL OF FAME 2020 #79
IG: THEJOSH2010
Funko LOVE in the Heart of the Appalachia

Wiselordship

Postby Wiselordship » Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:48 pm

Katers wrote:
Wiselordship wrote:
Katers wrote:

Given how many Funko products I've bought in those stores, it would definitely make a great side hussle. And it would be such a treat to find untouched sodas in store!

Yea. It would be cool for sure. And I would totally try it. Specially if i was in search of some new sodas.

Ohlordypops

Postby Ohlordypops » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:12 am

thejosh2010 wrote:I really like the line even though I haven’t hit them all like I would do in the past! The chase hunt for literally every one is a bit of chore that makes me less inclined to buy as many, but hopefully this is just a slow down as opposed to a go away.

A slow down would be great, keep the line going but lower piece counts and not flooding the market.
Hi! It's Lauren
IG & Twitter: Ohlordypops
Follow me on Instagram: @ohlordypops

Wiselordship

Postby Wiselordship » Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:18 am

thejosh2010 wrote:I really like the line even though I haven’t hit them all like I would do in the past! The chase hunt for literally every one is a bit of chore that makes me less inclined to buy as many, but hopefully this is just a slow down as opposed to a go away.

With you on this. Hopefully they are just taking a look and going to turn it back to the old way. Since we still need some sodas from lines they started.

Elviax

Postby Elviax » Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:45 am

Wiselordship wrote:

With you on this. Hopefully they are just taking a look and going to turn it back to the old way. Since we still need some sodas from lines they started.

Yes please! In particular the scooby line please!
Anime/Pokemon Collector

ArmyGuy2017

Postby ArmyGuy2017 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:42 pm

Well if that happens then I'm glad so we don't get all those Freddy sodas from the exclusive boxes from events
Attended Fundays : 2017,2018,2019,2022,2023 FDO9 Valencia Funko Hollywood Grand Opening 2022 Mask O Raid

LoneWolf72

Postby LoneWolf72 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:44 pm

I think slowing down the line is a good idea. It will create a bigger demand for the products that are already made, and allow collectors to catch up on sodas they couldn't afford. Plus flooding the market is never good, especially when you have multiple lines that are very collectable. In today's economy collectors just can't afford to keep up with all of them.
I'm Chad AKA Mr. StarWarner.
Image Image
Collecting since 2013
Fundays: 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
Virtual Con (2020), and Funkon (2021)
Funko Panel, Bingo Night (SDCC)
Funko Panel, Hall H (SDCC)
Fright Night San Diego
Funko HQ Grand Opening
FDO: Los Angeles (×2), Sacramento, and Baltimore (×2)
Fun on the Run, San Diego

Markn12

Postby Markn12 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:47 am

I don’t like this rumor at all. But I’d be back with some reasonable scale backs.

digithor

Postby digithor » Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:13 am

Katers wrote:
digithor wrote:
Katers wrote:

They were in fact in a bag of SDCC sodas and pops...and my Fundays championship medal. :cheers: Seriously though - looking through that bag that held both sodas and itty bittys, I hope both are here to stay. We got some really great Freddy sodas from Fundays 2023, and I can't wait to see what they have in store for 2024!

They did have some nice sodas, that vader was nice. Excited to see the goodies for 2024 also.
SDCC 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
Fundays 2018, 2019, 2021, 2023
HQ Grand Opening, ECCC Night and meetup at HQ, Hollywood Grand Opening, World Premier Making fun
Horror fanatic, GiTD collector, Star Wars
ImageImageImageImage

SpaceDude
Rookie Of The year
Rookie Of The year

Postby SpaceDude » Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:37 am

Markn12 wrote:I don’t like this rumor at all. But I’d be back with some reasonable scale backs.

I know me either, I love soda's
Tate/SpaceDude's Pop Vault :freddy3:
2020 Rookie of the Year
Instagram: spacedudespopvault
Facebook: Tate McCarty
Colorado Funatic

Universal_ghost

Postby Universal_ghost » Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:39 pm

I loved the sodas in the beginning when they weren't blitzing us with wave after wave. It did get to be a lot when they went full ahead of steam. I think pulling them back is a good idea.

DiegoLo

Postby DiegoLo » Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:50 pm

I hope not be true, I am still waiting a Megara Soda and Ellie and Russel (up) Soda to finish that line.
Funko Collectibles Count:1000+ (Need more space)
ISO Freddy Flux (4 of them)

SDCC 2018 - 2019, 2023
NYCC 2021
Fundays (Soon)

funko_gtx91

Postby funko_gtx91 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:09 am

DrunkoPop wrote:
funko_gtx91 wrote:To be honest I like the soda over bitty because there is more detail in the soda

Agreed and you can barely see the bitty. I can’t even imagine how I would even display them in the wild. :happy6:

Yes it would not make sense to display them

Katers

Postby Katers » Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:12 pm

digithor wrote:
Katers wrote:
digithor wrote:

They did have some nice sodas, that vader was nice. Excited to see the goodies for 2024 also.

My favorite was Thor! But I've also come home from ever Fundays with a SW themed Freddy, so I appreciated coming home with Vader Freddy! He wouldn't have been on my list of wants, but he's definitely in a forever home now!
Image ImageImage Image

DrunkoPop

Postby DrunkoPop » Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:18 pm

funko_gtx91 wrote:
DrunkoPop wrote:

Yes it would not make sense to display them

That’s the main reason why I don’t collect them, although I do see them on the come up.
Image Image
ImageImage

Return to “Soda”