Rumors of a Soda wind-down

Included with each SODA can is a 4.25” vinyl figure and a collectible disc both with a 1 in 6 chase variant!
RedRoo

Rumors of a Soda wind-down

Postby RedRoo » Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:20 pm

So some friends told me that funko may be winding down on soda's, I then checked with some people in the backend likes stores and they noticed some changes so it seems it might be true.

One of the main reasons it seems is that people cant afford a lot of soda's. Speaking from a international view they cost $30+ down here because of the shipping weight ect make them very unaffordable.

Another reason people think and i think could be a strong contender is because bitty's are outselling them. There cheaper, ezyer to display and also strike the minature market.

If this ends up being true how does it make you feel?
~Guy
TEAM BACON!
"With blood and rage of crimson red,

Ripped from a corpse so freshly dead,

Together with our hellish hate,

We'll burn you all--that is your fate!"

ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

CaseyJones14
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY

Re: Rumors of a Soda wind-down

Postby CaseyJones14 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:21 am

When did the first Soda release? I want to say Dorbz lasted around 4 years so Soda may be creeping up on the end time as well.
Brett - caseyj0nes14 on Instagram
ISO - Dorbz and McNugget Protos!

RedRoo

Postby RedRoo » Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:23 am

CaseyJones14 wrote:When did the first Soda release? I want to say Dorbz lasted around 4 years so Soda may be creeping up on the end time as well.

does that mean your gonna collect all soda's now? :P
~Guy
TEAM BACON!

ImageImage

Ohlordypops

Postby Ohlordypops » Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:01 am

I hope not, but could understand if they're trying to cut down on production. I really like the Freddy sodas they have been putting out and I really want them to finish the Scooby Doo sodas. I think they went wrong with the no piece counts (although some of those sodas had really awesome chases). I would hope they would just scale down instead of being done completely. Keep the piece counts low and maybe not release as many (do them for cons and events like Fundays and Fright Night).
Hi! It's Lauren
IG & Twitter: Ohlordypops
Follow me on Instagram: @ohlordypops

kmandude92

Postby kmandude92 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:21 am

Honestly, I'm fine with Sodas fading away and out of production. They're not as unique (to me) as the Funko Pop look and they oversaturated the market by releasing the non-numbered ones. Unless these become more limited, shut them down lol
Stay Lit, Y'all :-({|=
ISO:
Ezio 21 (looking for all versions - grey outfit, black outfit, blue outfit)
Logan 28 (Box Only - I have the non-bobblehead Pop itself)
Peter Parker 34 (Box Only - I have the Pop itself)
God Loki

scullysdad

Postby scullysdad » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:42 am

It's surprising to me that Soda has lost so much of the hype. If they are retired, they had a good run but I think that releasing non-limited versions at retail was a mistake and could have a lot to do with this.
Please Funko make Taylor Swift Pops!

Most wanted non-Taylor Pops: Carson Teva, Naru from Prey, The Last of Us TV show

mongoose12

Postby mongoose12 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:12 am

i'm still a soda guy

emoagogo
HoF 2023 & Spirit
HoF 2023 & Spirit

Postby emoagogo » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:21 am

All good things must come to an end. I think the major problem with it is price, it's just too expensive to chase the chase now. I'm not usually a number guy but do think the enormous LE numbers as well as the open-ended ones just made them not feel special anymore. Wave 1 was like Funko DNA, all the staple licenses they usually have as well as the limited quantities. The hunt was fun back then, but now most sodas are just funko shop sitters. But it's okay, I'm sure funko will introduce something just as fun soon to take its place.

Emo or Emilio is fine.
ISO: Pixar Protos
IG: emoagogo

Wiselordship

Postby Wiselordship » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:32 am

I mean, I can see this. And I would hope they just thin it out, but it wouldn't be a surprise. They have not sold well since the no piece count lines. And really the price going up makes it harder to buy 6 for the chase and cheaper to wait till people have saturated the resell market to get it. It will lock in the multolme lines not completed like Kiss, Teen Titans, Scooby, etc.

But I wouldn't mind them going back to just con exclusives and small count runs. But they will probably try something else. We shall see.

Wiselordship

Postby Wiselordship » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:34 am

scullysdad wrote:It's surprising to me that Soda has lost so much of the hype. If they are retired, they had a good run but I think that releasing non-limited versions at retail was a mistake and could have a lot to do with this.

Oh yea. That stopped a lot of soda collectors. Specially when you cound get the chase at retail on the resell market. And not to mention the massive amount of opened cans at the stores.

supertoygiant
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby supertoygiant » Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:49 pm

I thought they were going to make itty bitty sodas. I remember seeing a mini fridge with some inside. Or is it my imagination?
1st pop Marvel Thor bobble head and Captain America (2011) Walked into booth at SDCC and purchased in less than 5 minutes.

COTM 5/2019

FUNKLUB MEMBER #1893

1st dorbz Funko shop Freddy.

ISO CM Punk NIB or OOB

Sarcasticguy
Hall of Fame Class of 2023
Hall of Fame Class of 2023

Postby Sarcasticguy » Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:18 pm

I'd be sad if soda died completely. I thought they fit a good unique space as a sister item to Pop. As usual though it seems like instead of taking things slow, they really pushed Soda to see if it would have the same affect as Pop did.
Hi, I'm Scott.
Instagram: @Sarcasticguy89
ISO:
Any Fallout Protos
Aliens Ellen Ripley Rock Candy Proto
Furiosa and Normal Immortan Joe Protos
SDCC '13 Bloody Predator Pop!
Retro Freddy Thor | Retro Freddy Skeletor

aprilyoufools

Postby aprilyoufools » Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:20 pm

supertoygiant wrote:I thought they were going to make itty bitty sodas. I remember seeing a mini fridge with some inside. Or is it my imagination?

Nope, not your imagination. This was from Funko’s Press and Investors Event in September 2022. And I think the first SODAs were released sometime around ECCC 2020.
Image[/quote]

Geescube
HoF 2016 & CotM
HoF 2016 & CotM

Postby Geescube » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:48 pm

Bittys are doing that well?

Katers

Postby Katers » Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:00 am

RedRoo wrote:So some friends told me that funko may be winding down on soda's, I then checked with some people in the backend likes stores and they noticed some changes so it seems it might be true.

One of the main reasons it seems is that people cant afford a lot of soda's. Speaking from a international view they cost $30+ down here because of the shipping weight ect make them very unaffordable.

Another reason people think and i think could be a strong contender is because bitty's are outselling them. There cheaper, ezyer to display and also strike the minature market.

If this were true, I'd be really torn.

On the one hand, I really like the concept of the sodas. They have some really impressive molds for them, and the chase possibility really makes it fun to open them. I've made some good friends trading soda chases, which wasn't an option with pops. On the flip side though -

Sodas started out as an affordable option, and the price has gone up significantly since they started. When I started with them, I swore I'd be one and done, but got pulled in pretty easily to buying multiple sodas trying for chases. With the price increases I've stopped doing that, and gone back (started??) to my one and done mentality. There are also way too many sodas coming out too quickly. It wasn't so bad when it was 2-3 every month or two, but lately it seems like all I'm seeing are soda announcements. And those announcements are often for a full line of characters, and I don't necessarily care about all those characters. And for some of the older sodas that should've had full lines, we're still missing characters, so that's disappointing.

Also, the switch to unnumbered soda releases took some of the fun out of soda chasing. And the sheer volume has created a display problem not unlike the eternal pop display problem...what do I do with all these sodas??

Ultimately, I wouldn't mind a slow down, but I'd be sad if it's more than that!
Image ImageImage Image

Katers

Postby Katers » Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:09 am

aprilyoufools wrote:
supertoygiant wrote:I thought they were going to make itty bitty sodas. I remember seeing a mini fridge with some inside. Or is it my imagination?

Nope, not your imagination. This was from Funko’s Press and Investors Event in September 2022. And I think the first SODAs were released sometime around ECCC 2020.
[/quote]

I shudder to think how difficult bitty sodas would be to open, considering the trouble I often have with regular sodas! lol
Image ImageImage Image

RedRoo

Postby RedRoo » Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:22 am

Geescube wrote:Bittys are doing that well?

suprises me but they really are, i think its a combo of cost, stackabilty, Mini market (theres alot of people who like collecting small things) and weight. Its alot cheaper to ship large amounts of mini's compared to one soda.
~Guy
TEAM BACON!

ImageImage

DrunkoPop

Postby DrunkoPop » Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:16 pm

mongoose12 wrote:i'm still a soda guy

Same here and if an out cry of soda fans happens, I can see them
Bringing them back.
Image Image
ImageImage

Quazimoto

Postby Quazimoto » Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:55 pm

I can't sat that I'm surprised if this is true. Got to imagine Sodas are probably more expensive to produce and with retails prices creeping up every six month, it doesn't shock me that they aren't as popular anymore.

Personally, I love the Soda Figures. Don't care at all about the can or pog. I'd be totally cool if they pivoted and kept the soda style figure in a sort of Rock Candy style box to help on production cost. But, I'd also imagine that losing the can would probably kill a lot of people's interest in the line entirely, so we'd be right back where we were.

Hope they continue, because I'd love some more TMNT, Horror Icons, Simpsons, Jurassic Park, and am still holding out hope for King Of The Hill. But I'd expect that Soda probably won't survive past 2024.

Ohlordypops

Postby Ohlordypops » Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:48 pm

Katers wrote:
aprilyoufools wrote:

I shudder to think how difficult bitty sodas would be to open, considering the trouble I often have with regular sodas! lol[/quote]

Oh man! Some of those sodas are difficult to open, and I still don't think I've opened a 3L soda without a struggle.
Hi! It's Lauren
IG & Twitter: Ohlordypops
Follow me on Instagram: @ohlordypops

Wiselordship

Postby Wiselordship » Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:21 pm

DrunkoPop wrote:

Bringing them back.

I am sure there would be a decent outcry.

Mr Yac

Postby Mr Yac » Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:17 pm

RedRoo wrote:If this ends up being true how does it make you feel?

it sucks, but another in the long line of examples of Funko taking something successful and driving it so far into the ground with greed and mismanagement that it dies. they saw soda was popular so what did they do? jack up the price and quadruple the limited numbers (how they thought infinite was a good number for MCU crap is still insane to me) and then they scratch their head and wonder why they don't sell as well anymore. it is so depressing seeing a company you love continue to shoot itself in every foot and till they faceplant and can't get back up.

Steelo99

Postby Steelo99 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:33 pm

I hope they keep the line but lower counts.
I love the Freddy’s but they’ve definitely
overdone them a bit.

supertoygiant
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby supertoygiant » Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:46 pm

aprilyoufools wrote:

[/quote]

Thank goodness! thank you for posting this, I thought I may be losing my mind. lol
1st pop Marvel Thor bobble head and Captain America (2011) Walked into booth at SDCC and purchased in less than 5 minutes.

COTM 5/2019

FUNKLUB MEMBER #1893

1st dorbz Funko shop Freddy.

ISO CM Punk NIB or OOB

Wiselordship

Postby Wiselordship » Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:52 pm

Mr Yac wrote:
RedRoo wrote:If this ends up being true how does it make you feel?

it sucks, but another in the long line of examples of Funko taking something successful and driving it so far into the ground with greed and mismanagement that it dies. they saw soda was popular so what did they do? jack up the price and quadruple the limited numbers (how they thought infinite was a good number for MCU crap is still insane to me) and then they scratch their head and wonder why they don't sell as well anymore. it is so depressing seeing a company you love continue to shoot itself in every foot and till they faceplant and can't get back up.

Truth. Seems to be the pattern.

FireEmblemZack

Postby FireEmblemZack » Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:52 pm

This really bums me out, there's lots more possibilities that I know we had discussed here on the boards.
I will never forget the first announcement of them and the excitement I shared with everyone on here!

I hope they continue to do fun releases like Snagglepuss this year. Low count that was somewhat obtainable on the shop.
I will continue to be Hanna Barbera and MOTU complete for any sodas releasing though.

I hope I dont sound like a hater but I wasn't a fan of sodas that were of modern licenses. I liked the retro items the most
Image R.I.P. Buddy, my bestest friend

FireEmblemZack

Postby FireEmblemZack » Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:56 pm

emoagogo wrote:All good things must come to an end. I think the major problem with it is price, it's just too expensive to chase the chase now. I'm not usually a number guy but do think the enormous LE numbers as well as the open-ended ones just made them not feel special anymore. Wave 1 was like Funko DNA, all the staple licenses they usually have as well as the limited quantities. The hunt was fun back then, but now most sodas are just funko shop sitters. But it's okay, I'm sure funko will introduce something just as fun soon to take its place.

I will forever cherish our excitement over sodas. Seeing you open them on stream and checking to see when preorders went up.
It's great memories I'll never forget!
Wondercon 2022 and SDCC 2022 were super high soda points.
I remember our PogChamps when at Fundays the gave out the Mike Becker soda!!

DrunkoPop

Postby DrunkoPop » Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:43 am

Wiselordship wrote:
DrunkoPop wrote:

Bringing them back.

I am sure there would be a decent outcry.

Agreed but to the point they bring them back and perhaps with a different count number.
Image Image
ImageImage

Scotty
Rookie Of The year
Rookie Of The year

Postby Scotty » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:00 pm

My thought exactly.

I really like the soda line and would be sad to see it go so soon. Especially if they don't make Drooper. You're killing me Funko! It's like Amy Farrah Fowler knocking on the table in front of Sheldon...tap, tap ta-tap-tap...
Image Image
2013 Rookie of the Year - COTM May 2014

sdcccrasher

Postby sdcccrasher » Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:07 am

supertoygiant wrote:
aprilyoufools wrote:

Thank goodness! thank you for posting this, I thought I may be losing my mind. lol[/quote]

Bittys are my favorite Funko product line (except for Pops). Come on Bittys!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Hello! I'm Roger :freddy1:

Elviax

Postby Elviax » Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:10 am

Scotty wrote:

My thought exactly.

I really like the soda line and would be sad to see it go so soon. Especially if they don't make Drooper. You're killing me Funko! It's like Amy Farrah Fowler knocking on the table in front of Sheldon...tap, tap ta-tap-tap...

My thoughts! At least for the stores near me, sodas do way better than bittys
Anime/Pokemon Collector

FireEmblemZack

Postby FireEmblemZack » Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:13 pm

Scotty wrote:
My thought exactly.

If they leave out Drooper I'm gonna have to get the paint out and make one myself and learn how to flock figures to make a chase too lol

Wiselordship

Postby Wiselordship » Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:37 pm

sdcccrasher wrote:
supertoygiant wrote:
aprilyoufools wrote:Nope, not your imagination. This was from Funko’s Press and Investors Event in September 2022. And I think the first SODAs were released sometime around ECCC 2020.

Thank goodness! thank you for posting this, I thought I may be losing my mind. lol

Bittys are my favorite Funko product line (except for Pops). Come on Bittys!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:[/quote]

Oh, I remember that image. Always wondered how they worked. Seemed too small to actually open. Lol

Jade-Rex

Postby Jade-Rex » Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:12 pm

The Halloween Freddy's were my favorites and I really looked forward to them. But like everyone said, Funko went overboard. Personally it made it easier for me because I could pick and choose my favorites and lost all fomo because I expected another recolor/variant in the future. But I imagine that's bad for business.

So I'd hope to see them in a more limited capacity and of course if Funko could finish the sets they started, that would be great.

I'm surprised bittys are doing so well. The convenience I totally understand though. I like them but less so than Sodas so far. I just really like the details in larger figures even if space is an issue.
Pop count: 300+ (lost count lol)
Dream Pop: Fantasy Barbarian Bakugo
ISO: Bakugo Proto, Picklez and Chester holo cards
Lines I Miss: Wetmore Forest, Boo Hollow

NightStyle

Postby NightStyle » Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:21 pm

I'm ok with that, I stopped collecting sodas as the design wasn't unique from the pops. So hopefully they can focus on better designs

ldela001

Postby ldela001 » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:12 pm

I’d be bummed if they suddenly stopped making sodas and didn’t release Jet Black for the Cowboy Bebop line. I really enjoyed them for certain lines like TMNT and Cowboy Bebop. Now that I think about it, I don’t believe they released Master Splinter or April O’Neil for TMNT.
Funko Goals:
-Attend Fundays
-Win a prototype
-Collect all Ewok-related Pops!

:wwe7:

Katers

Postby Katers » Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:29 am

Ohlordypops wrote:
Katers wrote:
aprilyoufools wrote:Nope, not your imagination. This was from Funko’s Press and Investors Event in September 2022. And I think the first SODAs were released sometime around ECCC 2020.

I shudder to think how difficult bitty sodas would be to open, considering the trouble I often have with regular sodas! lol

Oh man! Some of those sodas are difficult to open, and I still don't think I've opened a 3L soda without a struggle.[/quote]

There hasn't been a 3-liter yet that I needed desperately, but I know I'll be an utter failure when the time comes! lol
Image ImageImage Image

Jmagic

Postby Jmagic » Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:29 am

ldela001 wrote:I’d be bummed if they suddenly stopped making sodas and didn’t release Jet Black for the Cowboy Bebop line. I really enjoyed them for certain lines like TMNT and Cowboy Bebop. Now that I think about it, I don’t believe they released Master Splinter or April O’Neil for TMNT.

I second this sentiment. Hope they continue and finish some of the lines they started.
I Collect Stoof :albino:

Caroborri

Postby Caroborri » Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:17 am

RedRoo wrote:So some friends told me that funko may be winding down on soda's, I then checked with some people in the backend likes stores and they noticed some changes so it seems it might be true.

I hope not. Sodas are pretty cool however it would definitely make sense to be more of a speciality event / comic con thing.

Elviax

Postby Elviax » Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:01 pm

Katers wrote:
Ohlordypops wrote:
Katers wrote:

Oh man! Some of those sodas are difficult to open, and I still don't think I've opened a 3L soda without a struggle.

There hasn't been a 3-liter yet that I needed desperately, but I know I'll be an utter failure when the time comes! lol[/quote]
Oh no.. I hadn't even thought of that and now my fingers hurt just picturing trying to open those
Anime/Pokemon Collector

Return to “Soda”