Rumors of a Soda wind-down

Included with each SODA can is a 4.25” vinyl figure and a collectible disc both with a 1 in 6 chase variant!
Fugly16

Re: Rumors of a Soda wind-down

Postby Fugly16 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:13 pm

Feels like as a whole the company needs to tighten up production numbers, but maybe that is just me. Stock has been hammered the last 6 months so I wonder if that is any indication for austerity measures they might take.

willy wonka
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby willy wonka » Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:14 pm

Loved the soda line but I haven't bough many in the past year just too many. They reminded me of the old Spastik plastik line but I guess like that line this will get retired as well.
Just call me Joe...

ImageImage
ISO: Freddy Mad Hatter LE 1/24, Mad Hatter Protos,
SDCC 4 Pack Dorbz(Found thanks to another Funatic)

Charger14
Hall of Fame Class of 2023
Hall of Fame Class of 2023

Postby Charger14 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:48 pm

I think the $18 price tag for the Funko Shop sodas has turned people off. I love the line but there doesn't need to be a soda or even a Pop for every movie coming out, example Shazam and Aquaman.

FunkoBurro3

Postby FunkoBurro3 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:48 am

They coulda done so many more and who knows maybe they will go out with a bang on the sodas.
Abel H 3 :freddy2:
The United Funko Family

-Funkowood (Funko Hollywood) Grand Opening
-Funko Virtual-Con 2020
-Funkon 2021
-SDCC-Special Edition 2021- Pop! Quiz - Auditions (Rejected)
-Funko Fundays 2022
-FDO9- San Diego 2023
-Camp Fundays 2023 (Sandwich survivor!)

Wiselordship

Postby Wiselordship » Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:37 am

Charger14 wrote:I think the $18 price tag for the Funko Shop sodas has turned people off. I love the line but there doesn't need to be a soda or even a Pop for every movie coming out, example Shazam and Aquaman.

Agreed. Like 6 characters at ~$20 a soda after tax, and that is just a chance at the chase. So it adds up if they do the chases right and you want them.

plumb102

Postby plumb102 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:09 am

I used to love Sodas, but to display it out of the can, keep the can, display the pog, it's actually a lot of room- I think that's why bittys have become so popular? the size and compatibility may be the winner here.

I have only my Chase sodas left... and I might have to trade those soon too. :-({|=
SDCC 1996-current - Wondercon 2012-current - LACC 2021-current - ECCC '22 - Niagara Falls Con '22 - Designer Con '23
FunKon Hollywood '21 - Pasadena Con 2023-current - FunKon 2 HQ '22 - WonderCon Beach Bash '22 - Funkoville SDCC '22 & '23 -
WonderCon Fun House '23 - Back to the Beginning: Bob's Big Boy Meetup '24 - Comic-Con Revolution '24

Image Image

islander671

Postby islander671 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:59 pm

RedRoo wrote:So some friends told me that funko may be winding down on soda's, I then checked with some people in the backend likes stores and they noticed some changes so it seems it might be true.

One of the main reasons it seems is that people cant afford a lot of soda's. Speaking from a international view they cost $30+ down here because of the shipping weight ect make them very unaffordable.

Another reason people think and i think could be a strong contender is because bitty's are outselling them. There cheaper, ezyer to display and also strike the minature market.

If this ends up being true how does it make you feel?

This brings in some great conversation. I used to love collecting and buying sodas but the thrill was actually getting a chase. But I personally think that the introduction in the non piece count pretty much killed the line. They massed produced those lines thinking that folks would end up continue buying 6+ to find a chase. But with the increase in retail price plus the massive amounts to order to find a chase in a non numbered soda, proved to be unsustainable. Most collectors I know now tend to just buy one or two if they really want a chance at a chase. If no chase then they just opt for the resell market.

It is sad to see them come to an end with this line as I had hoped it would end up being a great addition to POPs. But i think they just pushed it too far and too fast. But the higher interest in the Bitty Lines amazes me I didnt think they would be doing that great. lol for me I personally do not enjoy them. Not for the fact they are not cute and collectible, its because my little one likes to open them up and separate the case and the bitty and leave them on the floor. So it has the same effect as Legos to my feet, lol.
ImageImageImage

Katers

Postby Katers » Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:04 pm

Elviax wrote:Oh no.. I hadn't even thought of that and now my fingers hurt just picturing trying to open those

I watched them try to open the first couple 3L on Freddy's Funhouse, and honestly thought I'd probably have to use tools or a sharp implement!

I also have a theory, though, that the harder to open the soda can is, the better my chances at a chase are. This is based on nothing but frustration, but it makes me smile! ](*,)
Image ImageImage Image

Jalapenopete

Postby Jalapenopete » Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:40 am

Sad if it's true I was just warming up to them, I agree with the other comments keep them on the low count
:freddy3:

Ohlordypops

Postby Ohlordypops » Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:25 pm

Katers wrote:
Elviax wrote:Oh no.. I hadn't even thought of that and now my fingers hurt just picturing trying to open those

I watched them try to open the first couple 3L on Freddy's Funhouse, and honestly thought I'd probably have to use tools or a sharp implement!

I also have a theory, though, that the harder to open the soda can is, the better my chances at a chase are. This is based on nothing but frustration, but it makes me smile! ](*,)

I think that's a great theory! ;-)
Hi! It's Lauren
IG & Twitter: Ohlordypops
Follow me on Instagram: @ohlordypops

Wiselordship

Postby Wiselordship » Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:36 pm

Ohlordypops wrote:
Katers wrote:

I think that's a great theory! ;-)

Love that theory.

And yea, those are so hard to open. And hate ones where you just have 2 of them off and you accidently seal it back. Lol

RedRoo

Postby RedRoo » Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:41 am

islander671 wrote:
RedRoo wrote:So some friends told me that funko may be winding down on soda's, I then checked with some people in the backend likes stores and they noticed some changes so it seems it might be true.

One of the main reasons it seems is that people cant afford a lot of soda's. Speaking from a international view they cost $30+ down here because of the shipping weight ect make them very unaffordable.

Another reason people think and i think could be a strong contender is because bitty's are outselling them. There cheaper, ezyer to display and also strike the minature market.

If this ends up being true how does it make you feel?

This brings in some great conversation. I used to love collecting and buying sodas but the thrill was actually getting a chase. But I personally think that the introduction in the non piece count pretty much killed the line. They massed produced those lines thinking that folks would end up continue buying 6+ to find a chase. But with the increase in retail price plus the massive amounts to order to find a chase in a non numbered soda, proved to be unsustainable. Most collectors I know now tend to just buy one or two if they really want a chance at a chase. If no chase then they just opt for the resell market.

It is sad to see them come to an end with this line as I had hoped it would end up being a great addition to POPs. But i think they just pushed it too far and too fast. But the higher interest in the Bitty Lines amazes me I didnt think they would be doing that great. lol for me I personally do not enjoy them. Not for the fact they are not cute and collectible, its because my little one likes to open them up and separate the case and the bitty and leave them on the floor. So it has the same effect as Legos to my feet, lol.

honestly the bitty love does surprises me also. i mean i think there cool and i got my funkoville ones but i wasnt ever fully intrested in them. but in my shop we get the blind bags and they do sell well. But there also like $5 so very price friendly atm
~Guy
TEAM BACON!
"With blood and rage of crimson red,

Ripped from a corpse so freshly dead,

Together with our hellish hate,

We'll burn you all--that is your fate!"

ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

FireEmblemZack

Postby FireEmblemZack » Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:05 am

willy wonka wrote:Loved the soda line but I haven't bough many in the past year just too many. They reminded me of the old Spastik plastik line but I guess like that line this will get retired as well.

I wanted to see more of those characters in soda form too :( There's still hope though! Maybe for cons and events
Image R.I.P. Buddy, my bestest friend

FireEmblemZack

Postby FireEmblemZack » Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:19 am

Charger14 wrote:I think the $18 price tag for the Funko Shop sodas has turned people off. I love the line but there doesn't need to be a soda or even a Pop for every movie coming out, example Shazam and Aquaman.

Yeah the price really hurt me. Making it so that basically buying five exclusives (12 to 15 each) at 18 each is the price of 6 at the old price.
Image R.I.P. Buddy, my bestest friend

sealordbrian

Postby sealordbrian » Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:41 am

The only thing I'd say is that I hope that a wind down includes smaller production numbers and a pullback on just making any character into a soda.

Dave17251

Postby Dave17251 » Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:05 pm

The price uptick and higher counts for chases has really seemed to remove the need to collect them. They were priced fairly at first but I can see why people have decided to get off of them for now. Hopefully they rebound soon.

Nooklin

Postby Nooklin » Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:27 pm

The price increase and the elimination of chases and really high generic piece counts at major retail has killed the vibe. Also seeing the sodas at Walmart and Target opened and ripped up all the time makes hunting unappealing. I’d rather buy directly from local pop stores that also have booths at local cons.

It’s a shame Funko hasn’t partnered with small shops for more exclusive LE events.

wash2366

Postby wash2366 » Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:51 am

Ugh. Everything has been said. The stupid leaders at Funko just need to ask an listen to fans. They are about as clueless as Disney leaders.
Name: David / Pop count: 733 / Vynals: 4/ Dorbz: 10 / Soda: 4 / Mystery Minis: 12
Collection: https://www.hobbydb.com/marketplaces/po ... s/wash2366

ImageImageImage

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:25 am

Sodas are tough to keep because I see them even in discount stores like TJ Maxx and they are already busted open!

Elviax

Postby Elviax » Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:33 am

rexflexall wrote:Sodas are tough to keep because I see them even in discount stores like TJ Maxx and they are already busted open!

That was a problem for a bit here! The walmart closest to me started keeping them behind the counter
Hello! My name's David, nice to meet you!

Anime/Pokemon Collector

AnyGivenFunko

Postby AnyGivenFunko » Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:11 pm

I agree with the majority here. The price point for the soda is way too high. It doesn't help that people are opening up the sodas at Target and Walmart. The rewind is cheaper by $3-6 depending on the exclusivity and the figures in the rewind look the same. I can see soda being phased out and possibly being replaced by rewind.
Dennis
IG: AnyGivenFunko

Funko Events: "17, "22, and "23 Fundays, "Making Fun" Hollywood Premiere, Irvine Spectrum PEZ event, Funko Hollywood Grand Opening, FDO8, FDO9, FunKon Hollywood, "22 & "23 Mask-O-raid, Fright Night II, Bob's Big Boy

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:34 am

Elviax wrote:
rexflexall wrote:Sodas are tough to keep because I see them even in discount stores like TJ Maxx and they are already busted open!

That was a problem for a bit here! The walmart closest to me started keeping them behind the counter

One of the Walmarts in my town does that too now!

willy wonka
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby willy wonka » Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:56 pm

Nooklin wrote:The price increase and the elimination of chases and really high generic piece counts at major retail has killed the vibe. Also seeing the sodas at Walmart and Target opened and ripped up all the time makes hunting unappealing. I’d rather buy directly from local pop stores that also have booths at local cons.

It’s a shame Funko hasn’t partnered with small shops for more exclusive LE events.

This is one of the main reasons I stopped getting them. I mean it ruins the fun of it when you see open sodas especially ones you were looking to buy.
Just call me Joe...

ImageImage

jagpop

Postby jagpop » Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:16 pm

I love the detail on the Sodas and the fact that they take up less space to display. That being said, the price has really kept be from buying more recently. The quality may justify the price but my wallet keeps saying no. I hope the line doesn't go away, there are some really cool Sodas and chases.

I am not in danger, I am the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!

renardchua
Collector Of The Year
Collector Of The Year

Postby renardchua » Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:05 am

willy wonka wrote:Loved the soda line but I haven't bough many in the past year just too many. They reminded me of the old Spastik plastik line but I guess like that line this will get retired as well.

Really sad that we got only Otto in Soda form though :(

I agree here as well - the secondary characters of the big DC/Marvel movies are always a tough sell - even Carapax from Blue Beetle has 2 soda variants - so 2 commons and 2 chases.

Soda reveals were perfect early on, IMO - one to two character per license, one wave of announcements has 5-6 characters with LE counts on each.
Hi, I’m Renard. :freddy3:
Instagram: @renardchua

theraven00

Postby theraven00 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:58 am

I agree with what some others have said. I really like Sodas, but to me the biggest issues are:
1) The count is too high for some (and count has been eliminated and/or duplicated for international).
2) It's hard to display them and if you keep them out of the can then they take up extra room.
3) The cost is too high. I think they should be a couple dollars cheaper than a Pop!, but I'm not sure if that's possible depending on production cost.
4) Chases are cool, but buying multiple cans to hunt for a chase is not as cool. At least with a Pop! you can see if it's a chase before purchasing. I have soooo many duplicate Sodas.
Poppin'

Katers

Postby Katers » Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:12 am

Nooklin wrote:The price increase and the elimination of chases and really high generic piece counts at major retail has killed the vibe. Also seeing the sodas at Walmart and Target opened and ripped up all the time makes hunting unappealing. I’d rather buy directly from local pop stores that also have booths at local cons.

I was just thinking that sodas really shouldn't ever be on shelves at the major retailers. It was the same issue that mystery minis had - opened packaging and commons left behind. So disappointing to go from "Oh, a soda!" to "Oh...an OPENED soda". Much more fun to take my chances with an online order!
Image ImageImage Image

digithor

Postby digithor » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:58 am

I can see how the new itty bittys are out selling the sodas, besides being the new hot item sodas are a bit expensive with the increase for people outside of the US.
SDCC 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
Fundays 2018, 2019, 2021, 2023
HQ Grand Opening, ECCC Night and meetup at HQ, Hollywood Grand Opening, World Premier Making fun
Horror fanatic, GiTD collector, Star Wars
ImageImageImageImage

The1one1

Postby The1one1 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:33 am

Although sodas are cool on so many levels I feel like displaying a lot of them just takes up too much space. The cans are too cool to not display but then you have to have room for the figure and the can too.
Aloha! Call me Cliffy!
IG: The1one1

ImageImageImage ImageImage

willy wonka
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby willy wonka » Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:19 pm

Katers wrote:

I was just thinking that sodas really shouldn't ever be on shelves at the major retailers. It was the same issue that mystery minis had - opened packaging and commons left behind. So disappointing to go from "Oh, a soda!" to "Oh...an OPENED soda". Much more fun to take my chances with an online order!

Yeah even though I order a few and they came opened
Just call me Joe...

ImageImage

fieldsy32

Postby fieldsy32 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:30 pm

I try to buy at least one marvel a month. I enjoy the chance for a chase. With recent releases I’m wondering if this is true.
Eric, decently tall guy.

2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023 Fundays
Funko HQ Grand Opening
2015, 2017, 2018, 2023 FDO
2022 Fright Night

Wiselordship

Postby Wiselordship » Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:25 pm

Katers wrote:

Agreed. And more hassle on the retailer having to mark down or eat the lose of the "damaged" soda. Or they have them behind the counter or locked up so you don't know if they have it. Ghus makes it too much of a hassle to get them. It was an idea for sure, not sure a good one though.

Katers

Postby Katers » Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:46 am

digithor wrote:I can see how the new itty bittys are out selling the sodas, besides being the new hot item sodas are a bit expensive with the increase for people outside of the US.

I'm liking itty bittys for both their price point, and their ease of storage! Though now that I'm thinking about it, I'm not sure where I've stored my itty bittys from SDCC! So that's actually a hazard...! lol
Image ImageImage Image

Katers

Postby Katers » Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:47 am

willy wonka wrote:
Katers wrote:

Yeah even though I order a few and they came opened

That's terrible, I'm sorry that happened to you! Were you able to return them for a refund, at least?
Image ImageImage Image

Katers

Postby Katers » Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:48 am

Wiselordship wrote:
Katers wrote:

Agreed. And more hassle on the retailer having to mark down or eat the lose of the "damaged" soda. Or they have them behind the counter or locked up so you don't know if they have it. Ghus makes it too much of a hassle to get them. It was an idea for sure, not sure a good one though.

Honestly, if they wanted to sell sodas at a retailer, they should've actually put them in a soda dispenser. You want one? Pay for it. Select the row and spot you want, it'll drop to the bottom. No opened sodas on shelves, no disappointment for the rest of us!
Image ImageImage Image

Wiselordship

Postby Wiselordship » Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:05 am

Katers wrote:
Wiselordship wrote:
Katers wrote:

Honestly, if they wanted to sell sodas at a retailer, they should've actually put them in a soda dispenser. You want one? Pay for it. Select the row and spot you want, it'll drop to the bottom. No opened sodas on shelves, no disappointment for the rest of us!

I've seen some shops have them setup like this. Always thought it was a cool way to do it. Specially with the newer machines that lower and not drop the cans, so they wouldn't be dented. Would make for a much better experience. Not sure how much overhead a vending machine would be.

Elviax

Postby Elviax » Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:20 am

Wiselordship wrote:
Katers wrote:
Wiselordship wrote:

I've seen some shops have them setup like this. Always thought it was a cool way to do it. Specially with the newer machines that lower and not drop the cans, so they wouldn't be dented. Would make for a much better experience. Not sure how much overhead a vending machine would be.

I would love that! For some reason I keep picturing someone getting one thinking its an actual soda and being frustrated lol
Hello! My name's David, nice to meet you!

Anime/Pokemon Collector

Tusken

Postby Tusken » Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:28 am

Jalapenopete wrote:Sad if it's true I was just warming up to them, I agree with the other comments keep them on the low count

Agree with you as well as I was warming up to them too. They might want to sit down and re-analyze what they want to roll out to ensure proper growth but also brand. :freddy3:
Hi I'm Tusken.
Top Fan Badge of Funko, Funko Europe, Funko (Hollywood), Funko Games, Funko Blitz
Funko Winner of Danger Mouse 2021 - Twitter
Image Image Image Image

Shadowfyre

Postby Shadowfyre » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:36 am

I only own a few Sodas, so if this line went away, I personally wouldn't be missing them that much. I do think there is a market for the bittys 100% - they do take up a lot less space and it hit a new kind of collector in the miniature market as Roo stated :)
IG: CelestialFireKitty

Hi, my name is Shady or as some would say Randi with an i

World of Warcraft Veteran & Feral Druid main

I have been collecting for about 8 years now - I attended my first Fundays in 2017!

Very first pop - Godzilla (Burning)

I currently collect:
*Anything that looks interesting!
*Maleficent* - would someday LOVE to own a Maleficent dragon proto!
MLP - Pony Power!
Some Disney, Sonic, Godzilla & Freddys!

:mal:

Wiselordship

Postby Wiselordship » Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:48 pm

Elviax wrote:
Wiselordship wrote:
Katers wrote:

I would love that! For some reason I keep picturing someone getting one thinking its an actual soda and being frustrated lol

Lol. I would setup a camera just to see that. What a pricey soda. Haha. Did have one that wouldn't scan so the lady was like maybe pricey for a soda. Ans explained them to her.

Return to “Soda”