Rumors of a Soda wind-down

Included with each SODA can is a 4.25” vinyl figure and a collectible disc both with a 1 in 6 chase variant!
funko_gtx91

Re: Rumors of a Soda wind-down

Postby funko_gtx91 » Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:45 am

DrunkoPop wrote:
funko_gtx91 wrote:
DrunkoPop wrote:
Agreed and you can barely see the bitty. I can’t even imagine how I would even display them in the wild. :happy6:

Yes it would not make sense to display them

That’s the main reason why I don’t collect them, although I do see them on the come up.

Yeah I kind of seeing them get popular but not as popular as soda

DrunkoPop

Postby DrunkoPop » Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:40 am

funko_gtx91 wrote:
DrunkoPop wrote:
funko_gtx91 wrote:

Yes it would not make sense to display them

That’s the main reason why I don’t collect them, although I do see them on the come up.

Agreed. Sodas IMO were the most unique collectible other than pops that Funko has ever created.
Image Image
ImageImage

Funnybob

Postby Funnybob » Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:32 pm

I think people still like the designs of the Sodas, its just the aluminum can aspect of it makes it relatively expensive. If they can somehow remove the cost of the can but also keep the mystery aspect of it, then it could be viable.

jedividkidd

Postby jedividkidd » Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:16 pm

Charger14 wrote:I think the $18 price tag for the Funko Shop sodas has turned people off. I love the line but there doesn't need to be a soda or even a Pop for every movie coming out, example Shazam and Aquaman.

I agree. I would collect more then I do if they were cheaper.
Funko Events I've attended
"Making Fun - The Story of Funko" World Premiere!
Funko Fundays - 2012-2013-2014-2016
Funko Hollywood Grand Opening
Some favorite items:
Super Showgun Boba Fett Prototype & ROTJ
SDCC 2014 POP! Freddy Funko Boba Fett
Celebration Europe 2013 POP! Boba Fett (Droids)
Wacky Wobbler Bobble Banks Freddy Funko (Boba Fett) PROTOTYPE
b]Major Cons attended:[/b]
SDCC 2016-2018, 2024
LACC 2013,2016-2019,2021

Lexi

Postby Lexi » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:39 am

Funnybob wrote:I think people still like the designs of the Sodas, its just the aluminum can aspect of it makes it relatively expensive. If they can somehow remove the cost of the can but also keep the mystery aspect of it, then it could be viable.

I think that’s exactly what’s going on. I love the sodas, never have to worry about box condition.
FUNKO FUNDAYS 2015, 2016, 2022
FDO LA 6
World Premiere Making Fun

FUNKON 2021

TonyMa

Postby TonyMa » Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:02 am

Lexi wrote:
Funnybob wrote:I think people still like the designs of the Sodas, its just the aluminum can aspect of it makes it relatively expensive. If they can somehow remove the cost of the can but also keep the mystery aspect of it, then it could be viable.

I think that’s exactly what’s going on. I love the sodas, never have to worry about box condition.

Very good point

Alanamaslama

Postby Alanamaslama » Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:29 am

I thought this might be the case. The Cowboy Bebop line had a nice string of releases, but then stopped without finishing the main crew. We got Spike, Faye, Ed w/Ein, but then no Jet. Then the Green Lantern crew gets 2/4 of the human Lanterns, Orange Lantern Larfleeze, but then no reps from the other Lantern Corps whatsoever. It’s been almost 2 years since the last release of either of these lines. I was sad they just abandoned them, but it makes sense if they’re cutting back. At least just give us Jet Black, please.
Hey, I’m Alan!

Events checked off:

Funko Fundays 2017, FunKon 2021
SDCC 1999, 2017-2019, 2022, 2023
WonderCon 2019
Comic Con Revolution Ontario 2017, 2018, 2023
Los Angeles Comic Con 2016, 2018, 2019

Optimistic

Postby Optimistic » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:08 pm

When the slow down with lines like this you get at least a year to have those last drops as they slowly ramp down, then they do Funko exclusives and con exclusives before they just stop entirely. So I'd expect at least a year more.

And honestly the majority of characters I wanted to see have gotten Soda figures and I'm pretty happy with what we have. I don't think they used Looney Tunes enough though, and I'd be happy if they finished some of the lines they started before calling it a day (thinking Scooby, Animaniacs, Rocky & Bullwinkle at minimum)
:freddy4:

Animation (and occasionally Ad Icons) collector. Dorbz (RIP), Soda, Pop and Pez focused.

mohawkjones

Postby mohawkjones » Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:24 am

Oh man, catching up on some board threads I haven't been following and this is a bummer if true. I really dig the Soda format & aesthetic, it would be a bummer to see it fade away from the product line up. Wobblers & Pops brought me into the Funko world, Hikari & Soda keep me going in it. I will be be really bummed to see Soda go flat and fizz out (yeah, I know what I did there) to fade away like Hikari & Dorbz did.
Hi, I am Shawn. Iron Man junkie, Soda-holic and Hikari addict. Funklub member #14300/01057

mohawkjones

Postby mohawkjones » Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:25 am

mongoose12 wrote:i'm still a soda guy

You have always had excellent taste. ;-)
Hi, I am Shawn. Iron Man junkie, Soda-holic and Hikari addict. Funklub member #14300/01057

Oatmealman

Postby Oatmealman » Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:42 pm

This would be a huge bummer! Aside from going in pretty heavy when dorbz were around, this is the product line i've enjoyed most after pops. I second the idea of not having to worry about in-box vs out of box and they take up a ton less space too. I also really dig the "milk cap" or cardboard coin that comes with each one.
Matt
IG Oatmealman2287

funko_gtx91

Postby funko_gtx91 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:26 pm

DrunkoPop wrote:
funko_gtx91 wrote:
DrunkoPop wrote:

Agreed. Sodas IMO were the most unique collectible other than pops that Funko has ever created.

I totally agree with you on this……

mrodr110

Postby mrodr110 » Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:39 pm

aprilyoufools wrote:
supertoygiant wrote:I thought they were going to make itty bitty sodas. I remember seeing a mini fridge with some inside. Or is it my imagination?

Nope, not your imagination. This was from Funko’s Press and Investors Event in September 2022. And I think the first SODAs were released sometime around ECCC 2020.
[/quote]

damn forgot about the that. Now I def need that bitty soda fridge

mrodr110

Postby mrodr110 » Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:41 pm

I would be kind of upset if this ended up being true. I enjoy the chase hunt a little more with sodas since when you order (from a legit retailer) you never know if you will get the chase or not which is kind of cool for hunting. Please some, not all, look cool.

Tonka858

Postby Tonka858 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:30 pm

We have a store, and rarely sell any soda any more.

digithor

Postby digithor » Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:16 am

Katers wrote:
digithor wrote:
Katers wrote:
Oh, so we're being logical about this? lol

They were in fact in a bag of SDCC sodas and pops...and my Fundays championship medal. :cheers: Seriously though - looking through that bag that held both sodas and itty bittys, I hope both are here to stay. We got some really great Freddy sodas from Fundays 2023, and I can't wait to see what they have in store for 2024!

They did have some nice sodas, that vader was nice. Excited to see the goodies for 2024 also.

My favorite was Thor! But I've also come home from ever Fundays with a SW themed Freddy, so I appreciated coming home with Vader Freddy! He wouldn't have been on my list of wants, but he's definitely in a forever home now!

SW freddy form every fundays, oh that must be a nice collection.
SDCC 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
Fundays 2018, 2019, 2021, 2023
HQ Grand Opening, ECCC Night and meetup at HQ, Hollywood Grand Opening, World Premier Making fun
Horror fanatic, GiTD collector, Star Wars
ImageImageImageImage

x88joe88x

Postby x88joe88x » Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:53 pm

RedRoo wrote:So some friends told me that funko may be winding down on soda's, I then checked with some people in the backend likes stores and they noticed some changes so it seems it might be true.

One of the main reasons it seems is that people cant afford a lot of soda's. Speaking from a international view they cost $30+ down here because of the shipping weight ect make them very unaffordable.

Another reason people think and i think could be a strong contender is because bitty's are outselling them. There cheaper, ezyer to display and also strike the minature market.

If this ends up being true how does it make you feel?

I really like sodas and the hunt for chases but once they started making way too many and then not numbered ones I saw the writing on the wall sadly. Made them less desirable
Instagram: popstop_nyc
YouTube.com/@popstopnyc
ImageImage Image
Collector since 2013!
750 pops and counting…
NYCC since 2013
SDCC 2023, 2024
C2E2 2024

FuegoGlorious

Postby FuegoGlorious » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:06 pm

although I like them, its not surprising. They don't seem to have done well in 23, especially on the common non-le lines. Havent heard much on announcements so maybe they are just finishing out what they had planned.
:SW7a:

FunkoBurro3

Postby FunkoBurro3 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:38 am

FuegoGlorious wrote:although I like them, its not surprising. They don't seem to have done well in 23, especially on the common non-le lines. Havent heard much on announcements so maybe they are just finishing out what they had planned.

Probably or maybe they’ll just make them for cons or funko events (fundays/fright night)
Abel H 3 :freddy2:
The United Funko Family

-Funkowood (Funko Hollywood) Grand Opening
-Funko Virtual-Con 2020
-Funkon 2021
-SDCC-Special Edition 2021- Pop! Quiz - Auditions (Rejected)
-Funko Fundays 2022
-FDO9- San Diego 2023
-Camp Fundays 2023 (Sandwich survivor!)

Katers

Postby Katers » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:06 am

digithor wrote:
Katers wrote:
digithor wrote:
They did have some nice sodas, that vader was nice. Excited to see the goodies for 2024 also.

My favorite was Thor! But I've also come home from ever Fundays with a SW themed Freddy, so I appreciated coming home with Vader Freddy! He wouldn't have been on my list of wants, but he's definitely in a forever home now!

I enjoy it more than I ever thought I would! I ended up with C3-PO Freddy, then Han Solo Freddy, and now Anakin Freddy and Vader Freddy soda. It just seems to happen to me, I've never sought them out! But I'm certainly not unhappy with them! I really loved to soda addition from last year.

Thinking about what I've been buying this year so far though, it mostly hasn't been sodas. Or if it is a soda, it's an older soda that I'm still trying for a chase for. I wonder if we're just off to a slow start, or the rumors are true?
Image ImageImage Image

DrunkoPop

Postby DrunkoPop » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:30 pm

Katers wrote:
digithor wrote:
Katers wrote:

I enjoy it more than I ever thought I would! I ended up with C3-PO Freddy, then Han Solo Freddy, and now Anakin Freddy and Vader Freddy soda. It just seems to happen to me, I've never sought them out! But I'm certainly not unhappy with them! I really loved to soda addition from last year.

Thinking about what I've been buying this year so far though, it mostly hasn't been sodas. Or if it is a soda, it's an older soda that I'm still trying for a chase for. I wonder if we're just off to a slow start, or the rumors are true?

I hope the rumors are NOT true and to catch up on “Chasing The X-men” I bought 2 more coolers at 50% off and landed Cyclops & Gambit Chases :dance:
Image Image
ImageImage

singerjared21

Postby singerjared21 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:44 pm

Jmagic wrote:
ldela001 wrote:I’d be bummed if they suddenly stopped making sodas and didn’t release Jet Black for the Cowboy Bebop line. I really enjoyed them for certain lines like TMNT and Cowboy Bebop. Now that I think about it, I don’t believe they released Master Splinter or April O’Neil for TMNT.

I second this sentiment. Hope they continue and finish some of the lines they started.

I just wish they would keep making them have piece counts…

mcmfma

Postby mcmfma » Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:48 am

Oh no. Besides taking less space, I like the detail.

FunkoPDX

Postby FunkoPDX » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:48 pm

Going to miss them.
Hopefully they stick around for conventions.
I can see the struggle of big retailers handling these. Hurts to see a shelf full of opened ones with people looking for chases.
Bitty flow has looked nice.
So curious to see what the next year brings.

RedRoo wrote:So some friends told me that funko may be winding down on soda's, I then checked with some people in the backend likes stores and they noticed some changes so it seems it might be true.

One of the main reasons it seems is that people cant afford a lot of soda's. Speaking from a international view they cost $30+ down here because of the shipping weight ect make them very unaffordable.

Another reason people think and i think could be a strong contender is because bitty's are outselling them. There cheaper, ezyer to display and also strike the minature market.

If this ends up being true how does it make you feel?
Cheers Funko Fam!

sbgamesnpops

Postby sbgamesnpops » Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:29 pm

I hope they make some type of comeback. I like this lone better than Pops.

keyese

Postby keyese » Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:42 pm

I wonder if they did another style for other franchises if it would give some more options. While I like the cartoony style of the current ones, I would be interested to see what other styles they could do.
AKA ElizabethKeyes on Twitch or keyese on Discord :freddy2:
ISO Mystery Minis!
Lord of the Rings: Eowyn (HT) and Lurtz (HT)
Avengers Endgame: 1/72 Hulk, 1/72 Hawkeye, 1/24 Black Widow (all Walmart exclusives)

Alanamaslama

Postby Alanamaslama » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:45 am

kihou wrote:I wonder if they did another style for other franchises if it would give some more options. While I like the cartoony style of the current ones, I would be interested to see what other styles they could do.

Yeah, like how mystery minis have different styles. The current style works for some, but not all characters.
Hey, I’m Alan!

Events checked off:

Funko Fundays 2017, FunKon 2021
SDCC 1999, 2017-2019, 2022, 2023
WonderCon 2019
Comic Con Revolution Ontario 2017, 2018, 2023
Los Angeles Comic Con 2016, 2018, 2019

SpaceDude
Rookie Of The year
Rookie Of The year

Postby SpaceDude » Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:17 am

mcmfma wrote:Oh no. Besides taking less space, I like the detail.

The detail in the soda's is super great I agree!
Tate/SpaceDude's Pop Vault :freddy3:
2020 Rookie of the Year
Instagram: spacedudespopvault
Facebook: Tate McCarty
Colorado Funatic

chester
Hall of Fame Class of 2009
Hall of Fame Class of 2009

Postby chester » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:32 pm

Charger14 wrote:I think the $18 price tag for the Funko Shop sodas has turned people off. I love the line but there doesn't need to be a soda or even a Pop for every movie coming out, example Shazam and Aquaman.
I wonder if they made a plastic can to look like a metal can they would sell. That way they could lower the price and make more limited quantities.
Hello everyone! In case you don't know my name is Paul(Chester if your nasty)

dolphinax2

Postby dolphinax2 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:49 pm

FunkoBurro3 wrote:
FuegoGlorious wrote:although I like them, its not surprising. They don't seem to have done well in 23, especially on the common non-le lines. Havent heard much on announcements so maybe they are just finishing out what they had planned.

Probably or maybe they’ll just make them for cons or funko events (fundays/fright night)

I can definitely see them doing that but as long as they continue making them I'll be happy.
Hi. I'm Jeanne (Go by Gina).
I like Nightmare Before Christmas and anything else that catches my eye :)
FUNKO FUNKLUB #13433

[b]Fundays:2015,2016,2017,2018,2019,2020[/b]
Funko Fright Night2016
World Premiere - Making Fun
Funko Virtual Con 2020
Funkon 2021
FDO 6,7,8 & 9
https://i.ibb.co/wg3cKBx/hJXGyyX.png

funkonewscanada

Postby funkonewscanada » Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:00 am

dolphinax2 wrote:
FunkoBurro3 wrote:

I can definitely see them doing that but as long as they continue making them I'll be happy.

Same...and spacing out the releases gives some time to catch up on some of the ones we're missing (like trying to finish these darn cooler sets)

lilbologna

Postby lilbologna » Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:47 pm

the can also makes it hard to display imo, I never can decide if it's worth it to keep the can displayed since they take up double the room that way and don't really look very aesthetically pleasing
:freddy1:
ImageImageImage

funkonewscanada

Postby funkonewscanada » Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:12 pm

lilbologna wrote:

the can also makes it hard to display imo, I never can decide if it's worth it to keep the can displayed since they take up double the room that way and don't really look very aesthetically pleasing

I mean its prob easier to display a can than the 3L bottles lol

Squird
Hall of Fame Class of 2012

Postby Squird » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:56 am

Elviax wrote:
Wiselordship wrote:
thejosh2010 wrote:I really like the line even though I haven’t hit them all like I would do in the past! The chase hunt for literally every one is a bit of chore that makes me less inclined to buy as many, but hopefully this is just a slow down as opposed to a go away.

With you on this. Hopefully they are just taking a look and going to turn it back to the old way. Since we still need some sodas from lines they started.

Yes please! In particular the scooby line please!

I'm with you here. I really like the Scooby Sodas.
Funklub: 11181

Squird

Postby Squird » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:57 am

funkonewscanada wrote:
lilbologna wrote:

I mean its prob easier to display a can than the 3L bottles lol

I store the cans in a tub. Built some dividers out of foam core so they don't rattle around as much.
Funklub: 11181

Ronnie18

Postby Ronnie18 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:16 am

I like sodas and have a few but I can understand why they are phasing them out.

digithor

Postby digithor » Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:50 am

Katers wrote:
digithor wrote:
Katers wrote:

I will admire those from a far. lol
HQ Grand Opening, ECCC Night and meetup at HQ, Hollywood Grand Opening, World Premier Making fun
ImageImageImageImage

Greymom

Postby Greymom » Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:31 am

I really love the Soda line. I hope the rumors aren't true, but I do feel that releases are dwindling down.

Katers

Postby Katers » Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:35 am

digithor wrote:
Katers wrote:
digithor wrote:

They appreciate your admiration! I wonder if next year we'd get a Luke Freddy soda? Or someone else entirely from SW?
Image ImageImage Image

digithor

Postby digithor » Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:16 am

Katers wrote:
digithor wrote:
Katers wrote:

They appreciate your admiration! I wonder if next year we'd get a Luke Freddy soda? Or someone else entirely from SW?

Like jar jar.
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “Soda”