Crypto volatility and NFT collecting

Funko has entered the world of Non-fungible tokens!
billyconard

Crypto volatility and NFT collecting

Postby billyconard » Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:27 am

I'm curious what people's thoughts are here with NFT and crypto price volatility. Does it make you less or more likely to collect this line? Would Funko be better served controlling their marketplace for the NFTs and pack drops or do you all like it being on the WAX platform where value changes so much based on outside market trends?

Not looking to turn this into a "do you like crypto / NFTs" referendum or discussion. I'm just curious if there is a different way to give collectors the same experience of collecting digital Funko NFTs and redeemables that is based on fiat currency or something else entirely. And would collectors want that?

CaseyJones14
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY

Re: Crypto volatility and NFT collecting

Postby CaseyJones14 » Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:33 pm

The volatility doesn't bother me at all because prices in $ stay the same for the most part. I don't do a ton of buying/selling on the secondary market, but if you are smart you can take advantage of the highs and lows. I did load up on some Wax last night and am hoping it goes up a few cents before the next drop so I can get things for cheaper.
Brett - caseyj0nes14 on Instagram
ISO - Dorbz and McNugget Protos!

Fredo66

Postby Fredo66 » Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:49 pm

Not worried it's always a roller-coaster
ImageImageImage Image
Fredo IG: @the4thcurator

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:46 pm

It will always fluctuate,
ImageImageImage

Some people call me the orange hoodie

ISO funko Force creature from black lagoon chase Glow in the dark

lavery01
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby lavery01 » Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:24 pm

billyconard wrote:I'm curious what people's thoughts are here with NFT and crypto price volatility. Does it make you less or more likely to collect this line? Would Funko be better served controlling their marketplace for the NFTs and pack drops or do you all like it being on the WAX platform where value changes so much based on outside market trends?

Not looking to turn this into a "do you like crypto / NFTs" referendum or discussion. I'm just curious if there is a different way to give collectors the same experience of collecting digital Funko NFTs and redeemables that is based on fiat currency or something else entirely. And would collectors want that?

I would love to have the option to flat out buy the redeemables, instead of having to go through all the red tape that’s set up on getting them now. I’m sure I feel this way because I’m not that great at getting redeemables. lol
Hi I'm Latricia \:D/

scullysdad

Postby scullysdad » Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:52 pm

I don't hold Wax anymore because of the volatility. I have told this story a few times but early on I bought $100 of Wax on Bittrex, and before I could withdraw it, it was less than $60. So now I buy what I need for each drop and then put together royalty, and try to get as close as possible so I am not holding anything.
Please Funko make Taylor Swift Pops!

Most wanted non-Taylor Pops: Carson Teva, Naru from Prey, The Last of Us TV show

WildBill

Postby WildBill » Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:40 am

I definitely wish there was a way to cut out the volatility of crypto. I think the whole process of trying to get the LE redeemables and royalty sets is fun, but I wish the secondary market could just use USD.

I had just sold a Malthus grail, had $420 in wax, and was planning how to get both Invisible Freddy and Reaper Freddy. But instead, crypto crashed and the value of my wax plummeted to $270. I definitely will be more cautious in the future, but wish I did not have to worry about that.

digithor

Postby digithor » Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:11 am

Just wait and buy the pops on the secondary market once they are released and in hand, crypto volatility gone.
SDCC 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
Fundays 2018, 2019, 2021, 2023
HQ Grand Opening, ECCC Night and meetup at HQ, Hollywood Grand Opening, World Premier Making fun
Horror fanatic, GiTD collector, Star Wars
ImageImageImageImage

Jade-Rex

Postby Jade-Rex » Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:42 am

lavery01 wrote:
billyconard wrote:I'm curious what people's thoughts are here with NFT and crypto price volatility. Does it make you less or more likely to collect this line? Would Funko be better served controlling their marketplace for the NFTs and pack drops or do you all like it being on the WAX platform where value changes so much based on outside market trends?

I would love to have the option to flat out buy the redeemables, instead of having to go through all the red tape that’s set up on getting them now. I’m sure I feel this way because I’m not that great at getting redeemables. lol

I agree lol I'm okay with being old fashioned when it comes to buying things. I appreciate simplicity.
Pop count: 300+ (lost count lol)
Dream Pop: Fantasy Barbarian Bakugo
ISO: Bakugo Proto, Picklez and Chester holo cards
Lines I Miss: Wetmore Forest, Boo Hollow

willy wonka
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby willy wonka » Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:34 pm

WildBill wrote:I definitely wish there was a way to cut out the volatility of crypto. I think the whole process of trying to get the LE redeemables and royalty sets is fun, but I wish the secondary market could just use USD.

I had just sold a Malthus grail, had $420 in wax, and was planning how to get both Invisible Freddy and Reaper Freddy. But instead, crypto crashed and the value of my wax plummeted to $270. I definitely will be more cautious in the future, but wish I did not have to worry about that.

Yes I wish they would cutout wax altogether.
Just call me Joe...

ImageImage
ISO: Freddy Mad Hatter LE 1/24, Mad Hatter Protos,
SDCC 4 Pack Dorbz(Found thanks to another Funatic)

UFGator1977

Postby UFGator1977 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:00 pm

I tend to use Wax to fill out my Royalty sets and I sell my cards to get Wax. At least when the drops happen, you can use cash to buy the packs. I have also bought the collectible directly when I really wanted it and the price to get the card off atomic Hub was higher. Veve is another platform I participate in that uses cryptocurrency (OMI), but I stick to the Gems which have a 1 GEM= $1 rate. The DC NFT site deals in cash but cashing out is not easy. At least with Funko you can acquire physical Pops.

I guess my main worry is how long NFTs are going to be popular. At some point, selling all of them and cashing out is my goal but the market has to be there.

What would really be nice is to be able to get all of them on one platform

Fugly16

Postby Fugly16 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:24 pm

Not sure if this is related but I think I am a little concerned with the exchange FTX filing for bankruptcy and everyone that held their assets there. If they can go down then any of the exchanges can.

Ginzo1622

Postby Ginzo1622 » Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:52 am

Fugly16 wrote:Not sure if this is related but I think I am a little concerned with the exchange FTX filing for bankruptcy and everyone that held their assets there. If they can go down then any of the exchanges can.

I don't even know FTX, everything can file for bankruptcy but before I would think someone will buy wax since they have good projects. Besides we all know alot of people in wax aims for the physical redemption
Fundays 2022 - Proto Robots
Fright Night 2022
Fundays 2023 - Protomoa Wolves

Don't stand in my way!!!

:whdat:

bigant212

Postby bigant212 » Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:28 am

volatility in crypto has been going on since almost the beginning of Funko NFT releases. Its not concerning so much something you just need to keep an eye on. Same with anything else really

Ginzo1622

Postby Ginzo1622 » Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:46 am

bigant212 wrote:volatility in crypto has been going on since almost the beginning of Funko NFT releases. Its not concerning so much something you just need to keep an eye on. Same with anything else really

This is true actually sometimes it's an opportunity you just need to play it right
Fundays 2022 - Proto Robots
Fright Night 2022
Fundays 2023 - Protomoa Wolves

Don't stand in my way!!!

:whdat:

yamster8888

Postby yamster8888 » Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:50 pm

Wax is really its own stand alone eco system I wish it would just stay stable.

mongoose12

Postby mongoose12 » Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:08 pm

wen lambo?

digithor

Postby digithor » Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:08 am

bigant212 wrote:volatility in crypto has been going on since almost the beginning of Funko NFT releases. Its not concerning so much something you just need to keep an eye on. Same with anything else really

It was a thing before funko did nfts.
SDCC 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
Fundays 2018, 2019, 2021, 2023
HQ Grand Opening, ECCC Night and meetup at HQ, Hollywood Grand Opening, World Premier Making fun
Horror fanatic, GiTD collector, Star Wars
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “NFT/Digital”