NFT Horror Story... DONT DO WHAT I DID! :(

Funko has entered the world of Non-fungible tokens!
RedRoo

NFT Horror Story... DONT DO WHAT I DID! :(

Postby RedRoo » Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:45 am

So i have waited as long as i could to hold off posting this but as of 2 days ago the choices were made.

Those that know me know that i have been collecting the Funko NFT's since the start completing each royalty to get the Freddy's and occasionally getting the full set if it was something i desperately wanted (aka the power ranger set). I have had no issue at all with redemption and even tho some were delayed it was no bother.

When Droppp.Io started there 2FA i jumped on it as fast as i could because god knows i didn't want a hacker getting into my account. I downloaded and used the Google Authenticate App to hold my 2FA codes because we all know google is as trustworthy a company as they can get.

I did redemption after redemption and All was right with the world but then last month when the new Iphone came out i was offered the Upgrade. I thought Sure might as well my ones 3 years old and i can give my second hand one to my mum. When i got the phone i did a data migration so everything that was on my old phone was moved to the new phone and when it reached 100% i took the old phone to apple to make sure it was all good before giving it to my mum. When i did this tho apple wiped the phone back to factory settings and gave it back to me.

That didnt hurt because i was going to do it myself and i then put my mums info from her phone onto the new one and she was over the moon.

At this stage we Fast Forward to the Funko Halloween drop and when i go to log in i look at the Google Authenticate App and none of my codes are there. I figure "oh new phone so i must have to download them", But when i try and find any info on how to download them i cant find much and it takes quite a bit of googling (as if they are trying to hide it) to find out that Any 2FA codes you put on your phone are solely held on that phone and if you change phones you are ment to go into the app and move them over to the new phone.

Now to me this seems stupid because what if someone's phone gets wiped, Stolen or if you accidently delete the app, I then looked at the reviews on the app store and its flooded with situations of this happening. At this stage i start panicking a bit because i put a good amount of time and effort into my collection. I then go to the Droppp.io and Wax discords to find out what to do, the admins of those discords tell me to contact them by email.

When i contacted wax they told me there was nothing they could do atm because they haven't put the ability in place to allow people to unlock or remove 2FA. This sucked but wasn't to bad because i didn't have any wax on my account i only used it to buy the ones i needed for my sets.

BUT my droppp.io account was the issue. I contacted the admin dan and after 4 emails he said he just couldn't do anything because it was against there policy's to allow people back into accounts if they don't know there passphrase. The passphrase they gave when i activated 2FA was a large one so like a smart person i put it on my phone to keep it safe......sadly when my phone was wiped by apple the area it was stored was also wiped.

So at this stage i start begging to be able to get back into my account. I send them my passport, my ID, my disability card, my bank card the address i have shipped all my redemptions to and even a video of me showing all this info to prove that it is me. Dan then said he still couldn't and i asked if i could speak to someone higher up. He did but also said they would probably say the same thing, I thanked him and then i was transferred to Patrick.

Patrick informed me he would look over all the information and get back to me, at this stage i started feeling a bit hopeful because he seemed receptive and was gonna look at everything proving to them that i am who i say i am so i could get back into my account.

It was at that stage that Patrick informed me that he and no one before him had looked at my passport or any of the supporting information that i sent and that because they don't ask for a passport ect when making accounts it wouldn't matter if i supplyed it to them. My heart sank and i said i would do anything to prove who i am and just get back in because the new redemption of the MLP royalty was coming up and i didnt want to miss it. He said he understood and would work and see how we could get this situation sorted out, he told me he would get back to me in 2 weeks.

Again i started feeling hopeful that it would be fixed. But then 2 weeks came and then 3 and 4 and each of those weeks after the first 2 i sent a follow up email to check in and didnt hear a reply. That is Until Thursday, On Thursday i got a reply from patrick after 5 weeks saying

"Hi RedRoo, the issue is that we are not able / set up to handle KYC information for customers. Even if we were, we did not collect that information from you when you created your account so even with such info it doesn't prove you were the original creator of the account. Unless you can find your 2FA recovery phrase you will not be able to regain access to your account.
Regards,"

I emailed him back saying i was begging him to allow me back into my account, Even tho i was emailing him from the account that it was set up with even tho with the ID i provided i was who i said i am, i even said i would show him my old passport that was out of date to prove more so that i am who i am but i got this response.

"Hi RedRoo, I am not in any way suggesting you are a scammer but we have policies and procedures we have to follow. I feel for you being in this unfortunate situation but this is why we put up the warning about saving the recovery phrase when enabling 2FA. Please do not send your passport.
Regards"

It was at that stage i replied with a more aggressive tone but didnt swear because that gets you no where. I brought up the fact that what if someone accesses someone's account before 2fa is activated on there account and makes it themselves. is the person up s*** creek without a paddle? I reminded them that the recovery phrase was on the phone that got wiped. I told him that im angry and just p*** off at this hole situation.

Later that night around 12 hours since i sent the email i had calmed down and sent another off apologizing with the tone of the email, that i was just emotional because i had been collecting these over a year and built a collection worth over $3000usd which is over $5000aud.

I asked as a last ditch effort that would it be possible if someone there an employee could redeem the accounts tokens and post them all to the address that everyone of my previous ones went to.

I have yet to hear back but i don't have any hope left and honestly since have been in a major depression.

My biggest takeaway that i could share is if you are using a 2 Factor Authenticator DO NOT USE GOOGLE AUTHENTICATE, its a crap app and google should fix the major hole in it. I have Found and started using Authy, Its a 2FA that uses an account you make and holds the codes on there cloud and makes it password protected to get back in if you lose access to your phone or anything elce. They also ask you to change your password monthly for security.

These are the pops that i will sadly not be receiving anymore unless i try and buy them again which honestly i doubt i will with the cost involved.

ImageImage
~Guy
TEAM BACON!
"With blood and rage of crimson red,

Ripped from a corpse so freshly dead,

Together with our hellish hate,

We'll burn you all--that is your fate!"

ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

willy wonka
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Re: NFT Horror Story... DONT DO WHAT I DID! :(

Postby willy wonka » Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:59 am

Sucks this happened to you. I am not a big Fan of 2fa right now have had a number of problems with it for work but at least they have procedures in place to tackle if you lose your phone.
Just call me Joe...

ImageImage
ISO: Freddy Mad Hatter LE 1/24, Mad Hatter Protos,
SDCC 4 Pack Dorbz(Found thanks to another Funatic)

CaseyJones14
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY

Postby CaseyJones14 » Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:12 pm

I know this doesn’t help now, but it’s so important to write down your recovery phrase and put in a safe place. Sorry to hear this happened to you.
Brett - caseyj0nes14 on Instagram
ISO - Dorbz and McNugget Protos!

Bad Motherfunko

Postby Bad Motherfunko » Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:12 pm

I'm so sorry this happened to you.
Avatar Protos: https://i.imgur.com/iLdXwes.jpg
Collecting Funko since 2012.
Main Collections: Anything Avatar or Game of Thrones/House of the Dragon
Events Attended: Funko Hollywood Opening, Funkon '21, Fundays '22, SDCC '19/'22
Proud member of Funko Fiends (PSW) and The United Funko Family <3
Instagrams: @bad.motherfunko & @lollipop_customs

ISO Avatar the Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra Protos

Geescube
HoF 2016 & CotM
HoF 2016 & CotM

Postby Geescube » Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:34 pm

I use google 2FA , and you have me worried big time

Im so sorry you went through this though

lavery01
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby lavery01 » Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:44 pm

This is just awful, I felt your frustration while reading your experience and I feel so bad for you. All I can say is sorry this happened, I’m really really hoping some good news comes from your last ditch effort email. But please try not to be depressed behind this. Sending good energy and positivity your way while you wait my friend.
Hi I'm Latricia \:D/

RedRoo

Postby RedRoo » Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:15 pm

Geescube wrote:I use google 2FA , and you have me worried big time

Im so sorry you went through this though

Look into the authy app it’s miles better imo. Just wish I found it before thinking the google Authenticator was good
~Guy
TEAM BACON!
"With blood and rage of crimson red,

Ripped from a corpse so freshly dead,

Together with our hellish hate,

We'll burn you all--that is your fate!"

ImageImage

gokou105
Hall of Fame Class of 2022
Hall of Fame Class of 2022

Postby gokou105 » Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:29 pm

I didnt have a problem loading the Google authenticator onto another phone but I'm an android user. Not sure if it makes a difference. I had 2 Google authenticator but deleted it from my old phone and I now have it on my newer phone. I didn't use any passphrase to log in. I forgot what I did but I hope you find a way to gain access again.
Calvin

scullysdad

Postby scullysdad » Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:54 pm

I took a screenshot of my recovery phrase and then emailed it to myself. It’s a genuine fear of mine that something like you describe happens to me, but it was also important enough for me to get 2FA since my NFT collection is valued at $3k plus.
Please Funko make Taylor Swift Pops!

Most wanted non-Taylor Pops: Carson Teva, Naru from Prey, The Last of Us TV show

LakerSpartan117

Postby LakerSpartan117 » Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:07 pm

Really sorry this happened to you as those are some killer redeemable Pops that I know you must have gutted out for.

Zae05

Postby Zae05 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:27 pm

CaseyJones14 wrote:I know this doesn’t help now, but it’s so important to write down your recovery phrase and put in a safe place. Sorry to hear this happened to you.

I sent mine to my email, but probably gonna take this advice. Doesn't hurt to have extra back up plans lol
Hi, I'm Jose !
Instagram: Zaeo5

dork_knight
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Postby dork_knight » Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:07 pm

So sorry this happened to you :(
Hopefully they are able to do something and hope you hear back from them from that last message you sent.
Even how they dealt with the whole Halloween Series 1 was disheartening. I was one of the few that received Devil Freddy instead of Mummy Soda. I tried to ask them for a return label of Devil Freddy because I know people might’ve spent the extra money to get it and it throws off the LE since I wasn’t supposed to receive one, but they said they were having issues generating return labels. Then after months of follow ups they told me to just keep the Devil Freddy because they were not able to get the Mummy Soda to me.

Really hope they’re able to get things together since this is way different than your average retail transaction :-/

There’s more at stake here and they need to realize this. It really doesn’t make sense that they just won’t look back at where previous orders are being shipped to & see that that info matches what you provided…like why would anyone else create an account using your info and having their stuff sent to your address?
Bah Weep Gragnah Weep Nini Bong!
FunKlub Member:2016000002828
Funko Collectibles Count:4000+
Pokémon GO! Pokédex: 794 | Trainer Name: DorkKn1ght

A few fellow Funko Funatics and I started a podcast: http://www.buzzsprout.com/1015576
FB: Dave Metran | IG: @dork_knight46 | TW: @davemetran

mongoose12

Postby mongoose12 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:05 pm

Wow this is very sad. Sorry you’ve had to experience this.

jagpop

Postby jagpop » Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:25 pm

Like other have pointed out, that recovery phrase is vital. Anytime I set something up that has be record a recovery phrase, I have to triple check that I have it recorded properly or else risk this story. Hopefully it all works out.

I am not in danger, I am the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!

PopCollector
HoF 2018 & CotM
HoF 2018 & CotM

Postby PopCollector » Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:10 am

Dang so sorry to hear about this. While reading through your story I was really hoping to hear that somehow they would be able to do something for you.
I'm Lewis - "...from Collectors, to Friends, to Family"

ImageImageImage Image ImageImage

Kal-El-051

Postby Kal-El-051 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:47 am

This is the stuff nightmares are made of. So sorry Guy!

supertoygiant
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby supertoygiant » Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:00 am

That is a whole lot of great Pops!, I can give you the Green Lantern, it is the only one I have in your group. I know it is nothing big, but it's a start.
1st pop Marvel Thor bobble head and Captain America (2011) Walked into booth at SDCC and purchased in less than 5 minutes.

COTM 5/2019

FUNKLUB MEMBER #1893

1st dorbz Funko shop Freddy.

ISO CM Punk NIB or OOB

renardchua
Collector Of The Year
Collector Of The Year

Postby renardchua » Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:20 pm

So sorry to hear about this one.. I can only imagine the frustration. :(
Hi, I’m Renard. :freddy3:
Instagram: @renardchua

brooklyn_geek

Postby brooklyn_geek » Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:43 pm

I'm very confused by this & thankful I never got into NFTs but is this a case of forgotten password or something deeper than that?

FunkOCD

Postby FunkOCD » Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:00 pm

Store that info in a cloud based app like Google Notes, which is where I put pass phrases since it's not locked to the app itself.
ImageImageImageImage

POP&lock

Postby POP&lock » Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:53 pm

Wow! Talk about a nightmare! ](*,) Don't give up, hopefully u bothering them will get them motivated to get this problem fixed.. I hope this story has a happy ending
Current count over 3000! I love Count Chocula! Currently trying to aquire all things count related.
Instagrams: kronic_funko_bulbasaur
:freddy1: Original Funko FunKlub #1188
Image Image

mouth662

Postby mouth662 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:25 pm

Man that's insane, sorry to hear that but at the same time a BIG thank you because I'm about to buy a new phone and do the exact same thing and give my mom the old one, and I would've for sure just done a clean wipe of the phone. I hope your pain is at least a little quelled knowing you've prevented others from doing the same thing.

Tusken

Postby Tusken » Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:36 pm

I'm sorry to hear this happen to you Roo. I'm hoping like many funatics that some how that it comes to a happy ending soon. :freddy3:
Hi I'm Tusken.
Top Fan Badge of Funko, Funko Europe, Funko (Hollywood), Funko Games, Funko Blitz
Funko Winner of Danger Mouse 2021 - Twitter
Image Image Image Image

Marvel_Mama

Postby Marvel_Mama » Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:46 pm

this is horrid. i cant believe there is no way to help. i really hope somebody does something for you. i feel like this is getting to be standard practice everywhere these days. Just uh sorry nothing we can do response anymore. I really hope this gets rectified.
Diedre Loves her Funko Family
marvel_mama444 on insta - formerly Divade23 Marvel_Mama

liiilzz

Postby liiilzz » Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:02 pm

Wow so sorry to hear about this but thanks for also informing us. I’m now physically writing down any codes and putting in a safe place…didn’t know google did it that way

Hot_Dog_Vendor

Postby Hot_Dog_Vendor » Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:10 pm

I am really sorry about that. I will say I have been using Authy and even switched phones and it was seamless. That is a huge pill to swallow. Hopefully it doesn't completely knock you off of the NFTs.
I am just a simple slinger of those warm wonderful dogs! Let's ketchup and relish in the pop world together!

scullysdad

Postby scullysdad » Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:18 pm

Hot_Dog_Vendor wrote:I am really sorry about that. I will say I have been using Authy and even switched phones and it was seamless. That is a huge pill to swallow. Hopefully it doesn't completely knock you off of the NFTs.

Hey Hot Dog Vendor! Good to see you here in addition to the Discord.
Please Funko make Taylor Swift Pops!

Most wanted non-Taylor Pops: Carson Teva, Naru from Prey, The Last of Us TV show

Oatmealman

Postby Oatmealman » Sat Jun 24, 2023 10:45 pm

That’s brutal I’m so sorry :-/ I started writing down all of my NFT stuff after I had the 12 word seed phrase for my meta mask wallet because I couldn’t afford to lose it. I think because of this I automatically started writing stuff down.. I can’t believe they don’t have a protocol for this where they could ask you some questions to prove an identity and recover your account.
Matt
IG Oatmealman2287

Fredo66

Postby Fredo66 » Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:18 pm

Mam this sucks! I have 2fa but saved it and I also took a screen shot of my phrase so I can have it saved as a photo. So, sorry
ImageImageImage Image
Fredo IG: @the4thcurator

Ginzo1622

Postby Ginzo1622 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:11 am

Happened to my friend too and he wasn't able to redeem his Scooby redeemables
Fundays 2022 - Proto Robots
Fright Night 2022
Fundays 2023 - Protomoa Wolves

Don't stand in my way!!!

:whdat:

Ginzo1622

Postby Ginzo1622 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:12 am

Happened to my friend too and he wasn't able to redeem his Scooby redeemables
Fright Night 2022

Don't stand in my way!!!

Funkolotz1622

Postby Funkolotz1622 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:14 pm

Ginzo1622 wrote:Happened to my friend too and he wasn't able to redeem his Scooby redeemables

Did he tried to contact wax or drop?
Fundays 2022 - Black Light Proto Robos
Fright Night 2022

Ginzo1622

Postby Ginzo1622 » Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:52 am

Funkolotz1622 wrote:
Ginzo1622 wrote:Happened to my friend too and he wasn't able to redeem his Scooby redeemables

Did he tried to contact wax or drop?

Yeah he did but unfortunately they can't help him
Fright Night 2022

Don't stand in my way!!!

loot_in_a_boot

Postby loot_in_a_boot » Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:15 pm

Was there a happy end to this horrible situation?

Ginzo1622

Postby Ginzo1622 » Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:15 am

loot_in_a_boot wrote:Was there a happy end to this horrible situation?

I doubt, I haven't heard of a positive story to be honest
Fright Night 2022

Don't stand in my way!!!

Bam808

Postby Bam808 » Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:19 pm

Still new to the whole NFTs but your story sounds horrible, tyvm for the lesson.

loot_in_a_boot

Postby loot_in_a_boot » Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:22 am

bummer

Hot_Dog_Vendor

Postby Hot_Dog_Vendor » Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:42 pm

scullysdad wrote:
Hot_Dog_Vendor wrote:I am really sorry about that. I will say I have been using Authy and even switched phones and it was seamless. That is a huge pill to swallow. Hopefully it doesn't completely knock you off of the NFTs.

Hey Hot Dog Vendor! Good to see you here in addition to the Discord.

Thanks! I could not figure out my password and login for the longest time. I finally checked again and somehow logged right in!
I am just a simple slinger of those warm wonderful dogs! Let's ketchup and relish in the pop world together!

gospeedracer

Postby gospeedracer » Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:04 pm

liiilzz wrote:Wow so sorry to hear about this but thanks for also informing us. I’m now physically writing down any codes and putting in a safe place…didn’t know google did it that way

Just don't tape it to the underside of your desk. When we learned about IT security they drilled it into our heads not to do this. One guy came up with a good idea as he has so many passwords he taped it to the back of the toilet tank lol lol :freddy3:

liiilzz

Postby liiilzz » Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:31 pm

gospeedracer wrote:
liiilzz wrote:Wow so sorry to hear about this but thanks for also informing us. I’m now physically writing down any codes and putting in a safe place…didn’t know google did it that way

Just don't tape it to the underside of your desk. When we learned about IT security they drilled it into our heads not to do this. One guy came up with a good idea as he has so many passwords he taped it to the back of the toilet tank lol lol :freddy3:

:o back of the toilet tank?! That’s actually genius & I’ve never heard of that

Return to “NFT/Digital”