Still Scratching My Head About NFTs

Funko has entered the world of Non-fungible tokens!
Scotty
Rookie Of The year
Rookie Of The year

Still Scratching My Head About NFTs

Postby Scotty » Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:18 pm

I have yet to buy anything in the NFT market as I'm still trying to rap my brain around this. I'd blame it on my age except I'm pretty tech savvy. Still build my own computers and play with tons of software, but online commerce is a different animal -- and a good place to be extra careful with all the pitfalls. But that's neither here nor there.

So, I was on Atomic Hub today looking at the marketplace for Hanna-Barbera Series 2. And I saw a few grails and royalty cards for sub-$10 prices. If I had to guess, is that because the person redeemed their coin and are just selling the nft card itself? Is there someplace in the market listing that actually shows that? How can you tell if you buy a card (before or after the coins are issued) whether or not you get the redemption coin too?

Thanks for your help :D
Image Image
2013 Rookie of the Year - COTM May 2014

cliffd64
Hall of Fame Class of 2006
Hall of Fame Class of 2006

Re: Still Scratching My Head About NFTs

Postby cliffd64 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:13 pm

It is VITAL to pay attention to the various redemption period dates, all of which can be found on digital.funko.com. There is not an indicator up front on the NFT itself, however if you browse the details of each NFT in Atomic Hub you might find it in the text on any given NFT legendary or grail. Your best bet is to become familiar with the particular drop and dates you are interested in and be sure you can still either redeem a token or get a token (if it is before the drop date).
Image ImageImage Image Image Image Image

stichem05

Postby stichem05 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:24 pm

Once the redemption period begins you can only get redeemables if you have the token, you don't need the card. Also, the token needs to be in your dropp account not your wax account.

If you are buying a redeemable before the redemption period you need the card.

Hope this helps.

Scotty
Rookie Of The year
Rookie Of The year

Postby Scotty » Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:46 pm

But how do you know if the person selling the NFT already used the redeem coin and are only selling the NFT card? I know the price drop is a good indicator, but there were still some rather high prices in the marketplace. I didn't see anywhere it was noted that the owner already redeemed the coin or is selling the coin as well.
Image Image

stichem05

Postby stichem05 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 5:53 pm

The date is the tell.

Selling a redemption card before the redemption date = not redeemed
Selling a redemption card after the redemption date = redeemed (you need the token)

Str3ak19

Postby Str3ak19 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:01 pm

stichem05 wrote:The date is the tell.

Selling a redemption card before the redemption date = not redeemed
Selling a redemption card after the redemption date = redeemed (you need the token)

This is exactly right, Atomic hub will offer a redeemable button under the variety filter, if tokens have been issues thats the only safe bet.

scullysdad

Postby scullysdad » Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:36 pm

Scotty wrote:But how do you know if the person selling the NFT already used the redeem coin and are only selling the NFT card? I know the price drop is a good indicator, but there were still some rather high prices in the marketplace. I didn't see anywhere it was noted that the owner already redeemed the coin or is selling the coin as well.

You need to check the redemption date - for example, if redemption started 8/10 and you buy the card today, it’s just the card.
Please Funko make Taylor Swift Pops!

Most wanted non-Taylor Pops: Carson Teva, Naru from Prey, The Last of Us TV show

Justsonice25

Postby Justsonice25 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:09 pm

Scotty wrote:I have yet to buy anything in the NFT market as I'm still trying to rap my brain around this. I'd blame it on my age except I'm pretty tech savvy. Still build my own computers and play with tons of software, but online commerce is a different animal -- and a good place to be extra careful with all the pitfalls. But that's neither here nor there.

So, I was on Atomic Hub today looking at the marketplace for Hanna-Barbera Series 2. And I saw a few grails and royalty cards for sub-$10 prices. If I had to guess, is that because the person redeemed their coin and are just selling the nft card itself? Is there someplace in the market listing that actually shows that? How can you tell if you buy a card (before or after the coins are issued) whether or not you get the redemption coin too?

Thanks for your help :D

I'm echoing what everyone else said.
If you haven't done so already, create a Droppp account. (You'd need one to redeem the Token)
Check the Drops tab to see which Series (That you're interested in) and check to see if the redemption window has opened.
If so then you only need to buy the Token. The Redemption window is about a month, so once it opens, check Atomic hub for the tokens of that series. Buy the token and redeem it immediately, do not wait.

If the NFT redeemable you're looking for has not reached it's redemption window, then you can search Atomic Hub and buy the NFT. (As long as it is before the redemption window, you are safe to buy)

I hope this helps!
ImageImageImage

Anhtrung05

Postby Anhtrung05 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:28 pm

You are not the only one when it comes to NFTs!! I still don’t understand them nor do I know what I can do with them!

aprilyoufools

Postby aprilyoufools » Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:07 pm

Anhtrung05 wrote:You are not the only one when it comes to NFTs!! I still don’t understand them nor do I know what I can do with them!

Fortunately there’s YouTube video tutorials if you’re more of a visual learner, rather than reading text here. :)
she/they • ARMY | MOA | Bunnies/Tokki | FEARNOT

CaseyJones14
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY

Postby CaseyJones14 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:18 pm

Scroll to the bottom and you'll see "Important Dates"

https://digital.funko.com/drop/117/hann ... -series-2/

Using HB as an example if you had the specific NFT (Legendary or Grail) before July 26th you would receive the token. If you bought the NFT on July 26th (after the snapshot) then you would not receive a token and just own that specific NFT. Honestly the best thing to do if you don't plan on buying packs is to buy the redemption token and make sure you redeem/purchase before that "Redemption Window Ends" date.
Brett - caseyj0nes14 on Instagram
ISO - Dorbz and McNugget Protos!

Ginzo1622

Postby Ginzo1622 » Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:40 am

aprilyoufools wrote:
Anhtrung05 wrote:You are not the only one when it comes to NFTs!! I still don’t understand them nor do I know what I can do with them!

Fortunately there’s YouTube video tutorials if you’re more of a visual learner, rather than reading text here. :)

Yeah watching video is better than reading for some people
Fundays 2022 - Proto Robots
Fright Night 2022
Fundays 2023 - Protomoa Wolves

Don't stand in my way!!!

:whdat:

Scotty
Rookie Of The year
Rookie Of The year

Postby Scotty » Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:15 pm

Thank you everyone for your input. If there's another Hanna-Barbera drop in the future, I'll try and get a few packs, just for the experience. I was going to do that for series 2 but missed the announcement. I've had all my accounts set up for a while, I just haven't put any funds in yet.

Do you have to go to your atomic account (or whatever account) to view your cards or can you save them in other locations? Can you link to them? For example, can you drop a link on your computer desktop and you'll see the card (and its animation)? That would be cool.
Image Image

billyconard

Postby billyconard » Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:58 pm

Scotty wrote:Thank you everyone for your input. If there's another Hanna-Barbera drop in the future, I'll try and get a few packs, just for the experience. I was going to do that for series 2 but missed the announcement. I've had all my accounts set up for a while, I just haven't put any funds in yet.

Do you have to go to your atomic account (or whatever account) to view your cards or can you save them in other locations? Can you link to them? For example, can you drop a link on your computer desktop and you'll see the card (and its animation)? That would be cool.

There is a really cool app called Tokenhead that you can download for your phone (it's free). You can see all your NFTs in there - including funko, sorted by collection. It's pretty cool actually.

Funkolotz1622

Postby Funkolotz1622 » Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:27 pm

Scotty wrote:Thank you everyone for your input. If there's another Hanna-Barbera drop in the future, I'll try and get a few packs, just for the experience. I was going to do that for series 2 but missed the announcement. I've had all my accounts set up for a while, I just haven't put any funds in yet.

You don't need to put funds to buy packs though. If your going to secondary you need to have wax to purchase in AH
Fundays 2022 - Black Light Proto Robos
Fright Night 2022
Fundays 2023 - Protomoa Wolves

Hermes

Postby Hermes » Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:52 am

So, you can store the NFTs in either your AtomicHub (Wax) wallet or you can store them in your Droppp wallet. However, if you create a Droppp wallet a address will not be generated for you until your either A) make a purchase of packs during a initial sale B) ask a mod/personnel on the Droppp Discord server to establish one for you. As far as AtomicHub you will need to use Wax crypto currency to make purchases, but during the initial pack sale you can use debit/credit and packs are automatically airdropped into your wallet.

Also, I see other cautioned you about the timelines, but there is an FAQ that was super helpful for me when I started out on the NFT journey (https://digital.funko.com/faq/). Besides the Droppp Discord also has a community who is super helpful with NFTs.

tigsabud1

Postby tigsabud1 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:31 am

Hermes wrote:

Also, I see other cautioned you about the timelines, but there is an FAQ that was super helpful for me when I started out on the NFT journey (https://digital.funko.com/faq/). Besides the Droppp Discord also has a community who is super helpful with NFTs.

I appreciate you putting the link to the FAQs! I just now read through them myself, and I'm a little confused/worried.

It says that "Only one (1) Redemption Token will be issued per redeemable Digital Pop!™ or qualifying collection." I purchased 2 of the Legendary Scarecrow Pops so I could have one to open and one to keep in box. Does that mean that I can only redeem the token for one, or am I fine to redeem both and get both physical pops? Has anyone else had experience/luck with getting more than one of a certain pop?

Sorry if it's a super simple question- this whole thing is new to me too, and when they get all wordy with the answers, it goes over my head. lol
:dkjoker1:

CaseyJones14
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY

Postby CaseyJones14 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:48 am

tigsabud1 wrote:
I appreciate you putting the link to the FAQs! I just now read through them myself, and I'm a little confused/worried.

It says that "Only one (1) Redemption Token will be issued per redeemable Digital Pop!™ or qualifying collection." I purchased 2 of the Legendary Scarecrow Pops so I could have one to open and one to keep in box. Does that mean that I can only redeem the token for one, or am I fine to redeem both and get both physical pops? Has anyone else had experience/luck with getting more than one of a certain pop?

Sorry if it's a super simple question- this whole thing is new to me too, and when they get all wordy with the answers, it goes over my head. lol

You can redeem both. The mentioning of 1 just means only 1 token will be sent at the time of the snapshot for that particular card (NFT).
Brett - caseyj0nes14 on Instagram
ISO - Dorbz and McNugget Protos!

Hermes

Postby Hermes » Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:31 pm

tigsabud1 wrote:
Hermes wrote:

So, that means that for each qualifying NFT (legendary/grail) you will be given a redemption token. The redemption token can only be redeemed one time. So, for as many tokens you have you can redeem them. Once you process your redemption the token will disappear from your wallet, so that prevents others from trying to sell a non valid token, however, as others have stated be aware of the redemption timelines. There are tokens still out on the secondary markets that people will try and sell, but if they are past the redemption period you cannot redeem.

tigsabud1

Postby tigsabud1 » Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:52 pm

Thanks, guys! Makes total sense when you put it like that. I knew it was something simple! I'm just a simple man who wants to cradle his 2 Scarecrow Pops in peace. I leave the fancy stuff to the cool kids!

As for missing the redemption period, there's no chance of that happening! I've been keeping an eye on it like a hawk. I want those Pops yesterday! lol
:dkjoker1:

Hot_Dog_Vendor

Postby Hot_Dog_Vendor » Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:13 pm

Scotty wrote:But how do you know if the person selling the NFT already used the redeem coin and are only selling the NFT card? I know the price drop is a good indicator, but there were still some rather high prices in the marketplace. I didn't see anywhere it was noted that the owner already redeemed the coin or is selling the coin as well.

Once someone redeems the token in dropp they can no longer trasnfer the token out of their wallet. So if you see the token in Atomic Hub then it has not been redeemed yet. But like others have said make sure the set is still in the redemption window. People still sell tokens after the redemption date for a varity of reasons, and unsuspecting people buy them and then get mad when they can't redeem them.
I am just a simple slinger of those warm wonderful dogs! Let's ketchup and relish in the pop world together!

Hot_Dog_Vendor

Postby Hot_Dog_Vendor » Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:16 pm

Hermes wrote:
tigsabud1 wrote:
Hermes wrote:

So, that means that for each qualifying NFT (legendary/grail) you will be given a redemption token. The redemption token can only be redeemed one time. So, for as many tokens you have you can redeem them. Once you process your redemption the token will disappear from your wallet, so that prevents others from trying to sell a non valid token, however, as others have stated be aware of the redemption timelines. There are tokens still out on the secondary markets that people will try and sell, but if they are past the redemption period you cannot redeem.

The token doesn't disappear right away, or at least it used to not until dropp physically goes in and burns them. Take April Fools for instance, the coins are still in my dropp wallet until the dropp team burns them. But I can't do anything whit the tokens.
I am just a simple slinger of those warm wonderful dogs! Let's ketchup and relish in the pop world together!

Scotty
Rookie Of The year
Rookie Of The year

Postby Scotty » Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:51 pm

I just have to laugh at all this. I know it's not ridiculously complicated, but should buying toys ever be complicated at all? Well, I feel a lot more informed now so hope I don't miss it when HB series 3 ever gets released.

Not sure I saw anyone say whether or not an NFT card can be displayed anywhere other than in a wallet. Yes? No? I'm guessing "no", which seems rather uninspiring.
Image Image

Anhtrung05

Postby Anhtrung05 » Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:39 am

aprilyoufools wrote:

Thank you, lol I might look into it, but I really like to collect things I can touch. Lol this is assuming from what I know about nfts

scullysdad

Postby scullysdad » Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:49 am

Scotty wrote:I just have to laugh at all this. I know it's not ridiculously complicated, but should buying toys ever be complicated at all? Well, I feel a lot more informed now so hope I don't miss it when HB series 3 ever gets released.

Not sure I saw anyone say whether or not an NFT card can be displayed anywhere other than in a wallet. Yes? No? I'm guessing "no", which seems rather uninspiring.

If you think it seems complicated now, when it first launched it was impenetrable. You had one site to buy, a different site to open, you couldn’t open for a few hours after the sale, and no way to track your collection other than going in and manually checking. I only learned it all because Big Boy dropped during a work trip so I had plenty of free time in a hotel to figure it out.

Funko creating Droppp really simplified it all. The most complex thing now is figuring where to buy Wax (which can be tricky!).
Please Funko make Taylor Swift Pops!

Most wanted non-Taylor Pops: Carson Teva, Naru from Prey, The Last of Us TV show

aprilyoufools

Postby aprilyoufools » Sat Aug 19, 2023 1:41 pm

Anhtrung05 wrote:
aprilyoufools wrote:

Thank you, lol I might look into it, but I really like to collect things I can touch. Lol this is assuming from what I know about nfts

It's worth learning when there's an announcement for a fandom that you collect and you're passionate about. And some of the Freddys have been amazing so far.

But we do wait close to a year after the initial NFT drop and we only hear an estimated time range of when the physical items will be shipped and delivered (e.g. The Looney Tunes NFTs dropped in the 2nd half of September last year, and we barely had them delivered at the beginning of this month). We've had instances where shipments went out while we were out of town and had to have friends get our packages for us. But if you have an alternate trusted address, like your workplace or a PO box, you can use that when you submit the redemption token for your physical item.
she/they • ARMY | MOA | Bunnies/Tokki | FEARNOT

Hermes

Postby Hermes » Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:21 pm

Scotty wrote:I just have to laugh at all this. I know it's not ridiculously complicated, but should buying toys ever be complicated at all? Well, I feel a lot more informed now so hope I don't miss it when HB series 3 ever gets released.

As far as displaying them I have seen some fans have them in one of those digital frames, but I am not sure how they did that. It can seem complicated at first, but once you get the hang of it, it is a lot of fun.

Wheresmyfunkopop

Postby Wheresmyfunkopop » Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:17 pm

For a beginner that is a very important question. There is almost 0 transparency for NFTs and you have to rely on YouTubers to get info. You would think Funko would have tons of literature or videos but they don't.

Here's the thing. A coin is removed from your WAX wallet once it is used. So, if a person is selling a redeem coin, then it has not been redeemed. BUT, here is the major thing to look for. Sometimes people forget to redeem and it goes past the point of redemption. In that case that redeem coin is useless. So, before you buy a redeem coin, head over to the digital.funko.com website and make sure that particular redeem coin has not yet expired. Sometimes you get great deals a few days before they expire so take advantage. Just make sure you know the dates.

Oatmealman

Postby Oatmealman » Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:26 pm

Wheresmyfunkopop wrote:

For a beginner that is a very important question. There is almost 0 transparency for NFTs and you have to rely on YouTubers to get info. You would think Funko would have tons of literature or videos but they don't.

Here's the thing. A coin is removed from your WAX wallet once it is used. So, if a person is selling a redeem coin, then it has not been redeemed. BUT, here is the major thing to look for. Sometimes people forget to redeem and it goes past the point of redemption. In that case that redeem coin is useless. So, before you buy a redeem coin, head over to the digital.funko.com website and make sure that particular redeem coin has not yet expired. Sometimes you get great deals a few days before they expire so take advantage. Just make sure you know the dates.

You listed good info here!

digital.funko.com and droppp.io FAQ has a lot of good info for beginners so I wouldn't say it's fair to say there's almost zero transparency.

Matt
IG Oatmealman2287

Wheresmyfunkopop

Postby Wheresmyfunkopop » Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:38 pm

Oatmealman wrote:
Wheresmyfunkopop wrote:

digital.funko.com and droppp.io FAQ has a lot of good info for beginners so I wouldn't say it's fair to say there's almost zero transparency.

To a certain point you are right. However, let's say you want to complete royalty and you need 4-5 cards. Where is Droppp or Funko with an in-depth guide on how to setup a Wax Wallet and purchase them from AtomicHub? It does not exist. To me that is the most important part of NFTs, the secondary market. Sometimes it can be much simpler to just buy the cards you need instead of wasting money on packs. Right before a redemption you might be able to get a NFT redeemable for the same price as a pack and as we all know it could take several packs to get a redeemable. I had one drop where I did not get one redeemable in 7 premium packs. $210 and no redeemables. I could have purchased about 3-5 redeemables on AtomicHub for that money.

Oatmealman

Postby Oatmealman » Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:48 am

Wheresmyfunkopop wrote:
Oatmealman wrote:
Wheresmyfunkopop wrote:

To a certain point you are right. However, let's say you want to complete royalty and you need 4-5 cards. Where is Droppp or Funko with an in-depth guide on how to setup a Wax Wallet and purchase them from AtomicHub? It does not exist. To me that is the most important part of NFTs, the secondary market. Sometimes it can be much simpler to just buy the cards you need instead of wasting money on packs. Right before a redemption you might be able to get a NFT redeemable for the same price as a pack and as we all know it could take several packs to get a redeemable. I had one drop where I did not get one redeemable in 7 premium packs. $210 and no redeemables. I could have purchased about 3-5 redeemables on AtomicHub for that money.

Totally agree there. Should be more info about the various secondary markets available to collectors. Every drop I see people bummed they missed out on the drop or just flat out forgot. Most of the time shortly after the packs sell out the price on the secondary market is rather close to retail.

Opening packs is part of the thrill and I’ve had my big wins and big losses. Big losses always make me think “what if I just bought the redeemables” but you can’t think that way. I enjoy ripping packs and not knowing if my next pack has 2 grails or nothing. It’s an assumed risk and that’s why a lot of people love it.

Matt
IG Oatmealman2287

Hermes

Postby Hermes » Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:21 am

Oatmealman wrote:
Wheresmyfunkopop wrote:
Oatmealman wrote:

Totally agree there. Should be more info about the various secondary markets available to collectors. Every drop I see people bummed they missed out on the drop or just flat out forgot. Most of the time shortly after the packs sell out the price on the secondary market is rather close to retail.

Opening packs is part of the thrill and I’ve had my big wins and big losses. Big losses always make me think “what if I just bought the redeemables” but you can’t think that way. I enjoy ripping packs and not knowing if my next pack has 2 grails or nothing. It’s an assumed risk and that’s why a lot of people love it.

I really enjoy the thrill of ripping packs, but over time I have to reel it in a bit because I was going overboard. Now I generally open 2 premium and buy the rest for royalty.

Wheresmyfunkopop

Postby Wheresmyfunkopop » Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:55 am

Hermes wrote:
Oatmealman wrote:
Wheresmyfunkopop wrote:

I really enjoy the thrill of ripping packs, but over time I have to reel it in a bit because I was going overboard. Now I generally open 2 premium and buy the rest for royalty.

I generally buy 4-5 packs and the rest on AtomicHub but I think that will go down seeing how most redeemables fall in value. Most of the Dungeons and Dragons NFT's were around $30. It is not even worth buying the packs unless you feel lucky. Probably just best to buy the redeemables on AtomicHub right before redemption.

Wheresmyfunkopop

Postby Wheresmyfunkopop » Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:02 pm

Oatmealman wrote:
Wheresmyfunkopop wrote:
Oatmealman wrote:

Ripping packs is fun but it is also fun finding Pops in the wild at a store or a Pop Swap. So, I am still going to rip packs but maybe not as much as I used to. I bought 9 premiums during the Dark Knight NFT drop and got 2 Celina Kyles. I was so p***. But, at least I got the royalty. Lol

Tusken

Postby Tusken » Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:36 pm

I do enjoy the ripping part of the packs but still bummed that I've bought so many premiums with a 0% of getting a redeem. :freddy3:
Hi I'm Tusken.
Top Fan Badge of Funko, Funko Europe, Funko (Hollywood), Funko Games, Funko Blitz
Funko Winner of Danger Mouse 2021 - Twitter
Image Image Image Image

lynder77

Postby lynder77 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:31 pm

NFTs are the bomb to collect. I think one of the best people to help understand the process and all your questions is to follow Sully. He used to work at Funko, is a real believer in the NFT process and is ALWAYS willing to assist on his Twitch streams. Look for cssully on Twitch and come by a live stream. He is an awesome educator for NFTs and has a terrific group of followers called Nerds Unite. Really hope to see u there.

Scotty
Rookie Of The year
Rookie Of The year

Postby Scotty » Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:50 pm

Thank you all who replied with help and advice. I definitely want to give it a go, but for me, it will only be worth it if there's another HB drop. With Brian gone, I wonder if that will happen. Not sure how popular Hanna-Barbera is with the collectors-at-large. Fingers crossed.
Image Image

Return to “NFT/Digital”