NFT hype dying?

Funko has entered the world of Non-fungible tokens!
chosenjuan01

NFT hype dying?

Postby chosenjuan01 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:13 pm

I’ve noticed over this past year that the NFT hype has died down a lot. Why? Who knows?! I think that the NFT hype has died a little is because of the new lines they have dropping and the pack counts are so high. They need to start listening to the fans and making them more limited again.

What are your thoughts on this guys?

I want to hear everyones thoughts and opinions.
I AM THE CHOSENJUAN :dance:
SHINZOU WO SASAGAYO
COMPTON BORN N RAISED

wengderful

Re: NFT hype dying?

Postby wengderful » Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:19 pm

It really depends what you like, but I’ll be definitely trying tomorrow.
Fundays 2015:2016:2022:2023

Serch_na

Postby Serch_na » Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:20 pm

Its not the limited editions, the last few drops where pretty lame, and the more important thing people are not willing to pay big money so the hype drops
NYCC 2022
Deadpool - Photography - Mexican

Chingy

Postby Chingy » Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:23 pm

I think a lot of digital goods are becoming forgotten about. Where they were once the collectibles of the future, they're now becoming almost a parody.

CaseyJones14
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY

Postby CaseyJones14 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:34 pm

It's been dead for a bit but hoping the new Droppp marketplace/switch to USDC helps out some.
Brett - caseyj0nes14 on Instagram
ISO - Dorbz and McNugget Protos!

deadlycollects

Postby deadlycollects » Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:49 pm

Need to start adding some variants or do a drop like TMNT that had different color schemes

FunkoAlphaBravo

Postby FunkoAlphaBravo » Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:06 pm

Crypto has died in the last year so makes sense NFTs do too
Hi all! We’re Annie and Beto. We have been collecting since 2016
ImageImage
ImageImage

chosenjuan01

Postby chosenjuan01 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:50 pm

FunkoAlphaBravo wrote:Crypto has died in the last year so makes sense NFTs do too

Dang didn’t know that crypto died lol but yeah that might be the answer to everything. :eek: :-k
SHINZOU WO SASAGAYO
COMPTON BORN N RAISED

Misplay

Postby Misplay » Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:18 pm

Last few drops have been meh I think. Stuff we already have or coming out soon.

renardchua
Collector Of The Year
Collector Of The Year

Postby renardchua » Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:19 pm

Believe its a combination of a lot of things such as not so popular licenses and “similar” molds of nft pops with its regular drop counterparts, but I agree with most that it’s mainly because of crypto hype has really died down.
Hi, I’m Renard. :freddy3:
Instagram: @renardchua

Stat32111

Postby Stat32111 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:42 pm

Release Halloween series 3 and I’ll bet hype goes crazy again!
Instagram- calebshiny

scullysdad

Postby scullysdad » Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:35 pm

For me, it really just got to a point where the gambling aspect was too much for me. I have been a card collector my entire life so I get it - you buy a box of cards, you don't pull anything good and you try again later - but when I spend $120 on packs and pull 40¢ worth of commons and no redemptions, it just seems like I could spend my money in better ways.

I still will buy some sets, but unless it's a Freddy based set (like hopefully Halloween 3) then I might skip more than I buy in on.
Please Funko make Taylor Swift Pops!

Most wanted non-Taylor Pops: Carson Teva, Naru from Prey, The Last of Us TV show

joeb0011

Postby joeb0011 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:20 pm

to many drops a month..it use to be great when it was once a month and ALOT less packs...
ImageImage

Missnoobcake3

Postby Missnoobcake3 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:01 pm

renardchua wrote:Believe its a combination of a lot of things such as not so popular licenses and “similar” molds of nft pops with its regular drop counterparts, but I agree with most that it’s mainly because of crypto hype has really died down.

I agree with this, however i don't know how i feel about giving all my info for the new system for dropp either. I don't think i should give my Personal information just to buy cards. I can understand if you are selling (tax purposes) but to buy not really.
Also trying to be picky on each drop. Next Halloween series Im excited for.
:freddy2:

Nycc 2022 | IG: missnoobcake3 | Pop, Soda, NFT Collector | Fotw 5/2023

ImageImage

theraven00

Postby theraven00 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:26 pm

I think there are a few reasons for hype doing down, including: much larger drops, collectible market slowing, slow delivery time (delayed satisfaction), newness factor wearing off, etc. I think if they went back to their earlier drop sizes it would help build hype, but also doesn’t make Funko as much (better to sell 25,000 packs and not sell out than to only sell 15,000). However, that’s the short game Funko plays (and has to play as a publicly traded company) than the long game. I’m curious to see if they change their approach somewhat with the talk of going back to their roots.
Poppin'

chosenjuan01

Postby chosenjuan01 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:53 pm

theraven00 wrote:I think there are a few reasons for hype doing down, including: much larger drops, collectible market slowing, slow delivery time (delayed satisfaction), newness factor wearing off, etc. I think if they went back to their earlier drop sizes it would help build hype, but also doesn’t make Funko as much (better to sell 25,000 packs and not sell out than to only sell 15,000). However, that’s the short game Funko plays (and has to play as a publicly traded company) than the long game. I’m curious to see if they change their approach somewhat with the talk of going back to their roots.

We shall see how Funko plays their cards next year. Hopefully it’s something fresh and new for us collectors.
SHINZOU WO SASAGAYO
COMPTON BORN N RAISED

DrunkoPop

Postby DrunkoPop » Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:19 pm

Of course it’s dying down. The numbers don’t lie. :dontknow:
Image Image
ImageImage

hollis65

Postby hollis65 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:50 pm

chosenjuan01 wrote:I’ve noticed over this past year that the NFT hype has died down a lot. Why? Who knows?! I think that the NFT hype has died a little is because of the new lines they have dropping and the pack counts are so high. They need to start listening to the fans and making them more limited again.

Up front: I believe crypto currencies and almost all NFTs are pyramid schemes for men. I don’t mind the Funko NFT drops because they’re actually tied to a physical, redeemable thing. Just stating this now so folks understand I am coming to this from a very skeptical standpoint.

I have fun trading cards with other collectors to get the royalty set, so I like that community aspect. Plus I’ve noticed the physical Funkos have a level of detail that plain Funkos just don’t have, which makes them feel more worthwhile from an aesthetic standpoint.

But I would agree that ginormous drops are really starting to get to me. It really does feel like a blatant money grab when you have more than 20k packs to me.

nerdandcheese

Postby nerdandcheese » Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:54 pm

There really hasn’t been too much promotion for the recent drops either but I did get a notification on the Funko app for today which was nice.
Larry
IG: nerdandcheese

chosenjuan01

Postby chosenjuan01 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:00 pm

Good luck to everybody trying for todays Halloween drop!
SHINZOU WO SASAGAYO
COMPTON BORN N RAISED

Funkolotz1622

Postby Funkolotz1622 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:32 pm

nerdandcheese wrote:There really hasn’t been too much promotion for the recent drops either but I did get a notification on the Funko app for today which was nice.

I think they been doing that in a while now
Fundays 2022 - Black Light Proto Robos
Fright Night 2022
Fundays 2023 - Protomoa Wolves

PickyFunkos

Postby PickyFunkos » Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:57 am

chosenjuan01 wrote:I’ve noticed over this past year that the NFT hype has died down a lot. Why? Who knows?! I think that the NFT hype has died a little is because of the new lines they have dropping and the pack counts are so high. They need to start listening to the fans and making them more limited again.

Funko is veering from the heat. That's my opinion. The initial craze was the limited drops. The access to get them. Then the whole buckeye incident happened. It was then when we saw the drop start to occur in my opinion. It hung around, but Funko needed to drop a major drop for us after that and they really haven't. Not even yesterday's Halloween drop has that much heat in it. It's just that they all glow is the reason the hype is on this drop imo.

We need a Marvel drop. We need a Star Wars drop. We need a Disney drop. Lastly, we need that Anime drop with Royalty Freddy that we've all been waiting for.

Wiselordship

Postby Wiselordship » Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:37 am

PickyFunkos wrote:

Funko is veering from the heat. That's my opinion. The initial craze was the limited drops. The access to get them. Then the whole buckeye incident happened. It was then when we saw the drop start to occur in my opinion. It hung around, but Funko needed to drop a major drop for us after that and they really haven't. Not even yesterday's Halloween drop has that much heat in it. It's just that they all glow is the reason the hype is on this drop imo.

We need a Marvel drop. We need a Star Wars drop. We need a Disney drop. Lastly, we need that Anime drop with Royalty Freddy that we've all been waiting for.

I would agree here. They need to get an IP that everyone has been asking for. And probably do more around education on how to get into buying them.
With places doing pre-orders and others just willing to pay aftermarket prices, the drops are not as desired. People would rather spend the money on the product and not a chance of the product. Probably also the 6-12 months to finally actually get the redeemables does not help.

chosenjuan01

Postby chosenjuan01 » Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:49 pm

PickyFunkos wrote:

Yo my boy Picky! I agree with everything you just and the fact that you’ve been in the NFT game since the beginning makes this more valid of an opinion. The hype died a long time ago once the shenanigan over at Buckeye started. Also yesterdays drop wasn’t that much of a banger. Freddy is a sick character but the variants that put out were not it lol. We very much so need to see some marvel, disney or anime very very soon. I’ve been out for a while of buying NFTs for that very reason. They just haven’t hit in a while.
SHINZOU WO SASAGAYO
COMPTON BORN N RAISED

xbloz951

Postby xbloz951 » Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:50 pm

I think for NFTS in general yes. Redeemables no chance some good limited count on those.

Funkolotz1622

Postby Funkolotz1622 » Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:06 pm

xbloz951 wrote:I think for NFTS in general yes. Redeemables no chance some good limited count on those.

Yeah I think this really depends on what will be redeemables.
Fright Night 2022

Ginzo1622

Postby Ginzo1622 » Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:23 am

Funkolotz1622 wrote:
xbloz951 wrote:I think for NFTS in general yes. Redeemables no chance some good limited count on those.

I hope they continue to improve their redeemables
Fundays 2022 - Proto Robots
Fright Night 2022

Don't stand in my way!!!

:whdat:

Wiselordship

Postby Wiselordship » Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:29 am

Ginzo1622 wrote:
Funkolotz1622 wrote:

Yep, the GITD on the last ones really added to them. So hopefully they will make some variation on the next ones to build up hype.

chosenjuan01

Postby chosenjuan01 » Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:27 pm

Wiselordship wrote:
Ginzo1622 wrote:
Funkolotz1622 wrote:

Yep, the GITD on the last ones really added to them. So hopefully they will make some variation on the next ones to build up hype.

Yeah this is what needs to be done. Hopefully we can see different variations on the NFTs in the future. What was really surprising was the Elf grail “Deluxe” pop. Everyone thought it was a regular 4” pop. Maybe we can see some more deluxe nfts or gitd nfts from Funko/Droppp
SHINZOU WO SASAGAYO
COMPTON BORN N RAISED

Funkolotz1622

Postby Funkolotz1622 » Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:05 pm

chosenjuan01 wrote:
Wiselordship wrote:
Ginzo1622 wrote:

Yeah this is what needs to be done. Hopefully we can see different variations on the NFTs in the future. What was really surprising was the Elf grail “Deluxe” pop. Everyone thought it was a regular 4” pop. Maybe we can see some more deluxe nfts or gitd nfts from Funko/Droppp

I hope they do deluxe for the stranger things dragon too
Fright Night 2022

Marvel_Mama

Postby Marvel_Mama » Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:26 pm

I love the NFTs, I really got into them with the drops I enjoyed. Learned a whole lot about the nft world which was fun in itself. That being said it has been a laundry list of reasons people have opted not to participate now.
Too many drops
Too many packs
Way too long to get the redeemables
No recourse on crappy shipping damaged items, which has really really lost a lot of people. I cant imagine being that person who spent $300-400 on a grail redeemable to have it arrived with a totally crushed box and being offered $30 in compensation. You know I am a lover of all things Funko but I can not look past this part of the NFT customer service. Too much of a risk for collectors at this point.
Diedre Loves her Funko Family
marvel_mama444 on insta - formerly Divade23 Marvel_Mama

chosenjuan01

Postby chosenjuan01 » Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:40 pm

Marvel_Mama wrote:I love the NFTs, I really got into them with the drops I enjoyed. Learned a whole lot about the nft world which was fun in itself. That being said it has been a laundry list of reasons people have opted not to participate now.
Too many drops
Too many packs
No recourse on crappy shipping damaged items, which has really really lost a lot of people. I cant imagine being that person who spent $300-400 on a grail redeemable to have it arrived with a totally crushed box and being offered $30 in compensation. You know I am a lover of all things Funko but I can not look past this part of the NFT customer service. Too much of a risk for collectors at this point.

I agree, most of the NFTs are pretty pointless to make like the Steven Universe line, DC series 2 and Adventure time. They should at least include protectors with the grail (999 pieces). That would have made collectors feel safer in some way at least. That would suck to get a $300-$400 grail damaged. I feel like a lot of people have been dodging NFT drops lately me being one of them.
SHINZOU WO SASAGAYO
COMPTON BORN N RAISED

Wiselordship

Postby Wiselordship » Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:08 am

chosenjuan01 wrote:
Wiselordship wrote:
Ginzo1622 wrote:

Yea, and that should have been less of a surprise. I am sure more people would have bought it knowing there was the first Deluxe Pop. Glad their making NFTs more interesting. So there is promise of them doing cool things that make people want to buy. I'll call Flocked NFT next.

Wiselordship

Postby Wiselordship » Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:10 am

chosenjuan01 wrote:
Marvel_Mama wrote:I love the NFTs, I really got into them with the drops I enjoyed. Learned a whole lot about the nft world which was fun in itself. That being said it has been a laundry list of reasons people have opted not to participate now.
Too many drops
Too many packs

I agree, most of the NFTs are pretty pointless to make like the Steven Universe line, DC series 2 and Adventure time. They should at least include protectors with the grail (999 pieces). That would have made collectors feel safer in some way at least. That would suck to get a $300-$400 grail damaged. I feel like a lot of people have been dodging NFT drops lately me being one of them.

Agree. I am sure that is why some people wait until they ship. No worry on when they will arrive and you know the quality of the item at time of purchase.

Wiselordship

Postby Wiselordship » Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:11 am

Funkolotz1622 wrote:
chosenjuan01 wrote:
Wiselordship wrote:

I hope they do deluxe for the stranger things dragon too

That would be a cool one deluxe size.

mongoose12

Postby mongoose12 » Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:56 am

i think the recent funkoween drop shows that if the merch is great the ppl will come.

billyconard

Postby billyconard » Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:50 am

Too many drops
Too many packs

I think this is well put - except for maybe the "too many drops" item. I hope they continue to do as many drops for different IP as their market research tells them to try. Every drop isn't for every collector. They would be wise to maintain interest and demand by adjusting the packs and # of redeemables per drop. It's a hard thing for them to guess on I'm sure.

The good thing is, if a drop undersells, it leads to less product redeemed and doesn't cost them a dime. Compared to other funko product availability, these physical redeemables are a tiny cost but produce great profit with every pack sold. Not to mention all the money they make off of every single NFT or pack resold in the NFT marketplaces.

nascar246788

Postby nascar246788 » Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:13 pm

Too many drops
Too many packs

Your last point is the main reason I dropped. They lost my trust, and it is hard to get back. They really screwed me over on the halloween drop. I was just lucky to have help from a segment of the funko funatic family to save the day.

I was in the group that received the wrong item in my halloween series 1 shipment. I received the grail devil instead of the soda mummy. I know the grail is worth more, but I don't collect for value. Also, it didn't cost Funko more to make it then soda mummy. I really wanted the mummy soda as that was my favorite of the whole set. I reached out to them about it, and for many months I got the answer we are working to a resolution. Then the resolution was we have no way to send you a replacement please enjoy what you have. I was livid. Especially considering, you claim to have reproduced a bunch due to receiving damaged goods at the warehouse. I am sure not all of the soda mummy was redeemed. I would have gladly send back the grail devil to get the mummy. At that point, I lost trust in the whole thing.

Seeing the damaged products makes it even harder for me to get back. I really think they need to provide the option to pay for shipping. It is hilarious watching the tracking. I live in San Diego. For some reason, it would leave from a San Diego address head North of San Diego just to come back to San Diego. I get it is because they choose the cheapest shipping option, but still seems terrible to me.

The big thing too is there has not been a drop I am hyped on that I would be able to look past the trust issue.
Collecting since 2014

Marvel_Mama

Postby Marvel_Mama » Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:09 pm

nascar246788 wrote:
Too many drops
Too many packs

Your last point is the main reason I dropped. They lost my trust, and it is hard to get back. They really screwed me over on the halloween drop. I was just lucky to have help from a segment of the funko funatic family to save the day.

I was in the group that received the wrong item in my halloween series 1 shipment. I received the grail devil instead of the soda mummy. I know the grail is worth more, but I don't collect for value. Also, it didn't cost Funko more to make it then soda mummy. I really wanted the mummy soda as that was my favorite of the whole set. I reached out to them about it, and for many months I got the answer we are working to a resolution. Then the resolution was we have no way to send you a replacement please enjoy what you have. I was livid. Especially considering, you claim to have reproduced a bunch due to receiving damaged goods at the warehouse. I am sure not all of the soda mummy was redeemed. I would have gladly send back the grail devil to get the mummy. At that point, I lost trust in the whole thing.

Seeing the damaged products makes it even harder for me to get back. I really think they need to provide the option to pay for shipping. It is hilarious watching the tracking. I live in San Diego. For some reason, it would leave from a San Diego address head North of San Diego just to come back to San Diego. I get it is because they choose the cheapest shipping option, but still seems terrible to me.

The big thing too is there has not been a drop I am hyped on that I would be able to look past the trust issue.

For sure understandable. At that point I would never either. Id just wait it out and buy from funatics or ebay knowing the condition.
Diedre Loves her Funko Family
marvel_mama444 on insta - formerly Divade23 Marvel_Mama

Markn12

Postby Markn12 » Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:43 am

I think it can be hard to keep the hype when redemption to receiving pops takes so long. I still go after some redeemables, then forget about them for months.

Return to “NFT/Digital”