NFT hype dying?

Funko has entered the world of Non-fungible tokens!
chosenjuan01

Re: NFT hype dying?

Postby chosenjuan01 » Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:44 am

Markn12 wrote:I think it can be hard to keep the hype when redemption to receiving pops takes so long. I still go after some redeemables, then forget about them for months.

Yeah that’s the most frustrating part about the Funko NFTs having to wait for them and hoping they don’t come to you damaged. [-( #-o
I AM THE CHOSENJUAN :dance:
SHINZOU WO SASAGAYO
COMPTON BORN N RAISED

angrykoalagear

Postby angrykoalagear » Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:33 pm

For me I definitely slowed down and lost interest because I felt there were just so many drops and not everything I collect.

fairytail081202

Postby fairytail081202 » Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:45 am

Markn12 wrote:I think it can be hard to keep the hype when redemption to receiving pops takes so long. I still go after some redeemables, then forget about them for months.

Agree with this point completely. I still don't understand why we have to wait for almost a year to get the physicals for each drop tbh.

Ginzo1622

Postby Ginzo1622 » Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:05 am

fairytail081202 wrote:

Agree with this point completely. I still don't understand why we have to wait for almost a year to get the physicals for each drop tbh.

They getting faster now I think.
Fundays 2022 - Proto Robots
Fright Night 2022
Fundays 2023 - Protomoa Wolves

Don't stand in my way!!!

:whdat:

Jarrieta13

Postby Jarrieta13 » Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:03 am

fairytail081202 wrote:

I believe they have ideas that might or not do good, essentially they sell nfts to get a sense of how much they might sell and make a little extra without actually producing the physical items.

FunkoEmu

Postby FunkoEmu » Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:09 am

If they do a Transformers series 2, I'd go for those. But really I wouldn't be after anything else.
ImageImage
SDCC: 2023, 2024
DragonCon: 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
NYCC: 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024

WestIsLeft

Postby WestIsLeft » Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:08 pm

I don't know about hype dying. I think a good amount of people who were more casual collectors dropped off. Higher pack counts don't necessarily hurt them though, I don't think. I don't see their books, but one would think that they do not need to pay for more packs since they're all just digital assets. The only thing they lose from higher pack counts not selling is, could it have sold more packs with a more limited run? FOMO kicks in and people buy more packs ? I don't know.

I know I went harder last year on NFTs just because it was novel to me and I "wanted all those sets". This year I'm picking and choosing which sets to go in on.

mongoose12

Postby mongoose12 » Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:23 pm

i've been a bit of an nft hypebeast as of late.

chosenjuan01

Postby chosenjuan01 » Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:45 pm

FunkoEmu wrote:If they do a Transformers series 2, I'd go for those. But really I wouldn't be after anything else.

We need more Freddy Funko as Decepticon pops and I feel a series 2 royalty would be a perfect idea. :alien: =D>
SHINZOU WO SASAGAYO
COMPTON BORN N RAISED

Dave17251

Postby Dave17251 » Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:03 pm

chosenjuan01 wrote:I’ve noticed over this past year that the NFT hype has died down a lot. Why? Who knows?! I think that the NFT hype has died a little is because of the new lines they have dropping and the pack counts are so high. They need to start listening to the fans and making them more limited again.

What are your thoughts on this guys?

I want to hear everyones thoughts and opinions.

They need to keep them unique. I know we will eventually run into the same mold but we haven't seen a "thermal" turtle like the Leo grail from the TMNT set. Even tho we have the same mold, the colorway has stayed unique and has held up very well. Like they should give me a convincing reason why I should try for this rare piece and why I shouldn't just wait for another wave of the same line to drop.

chosenjuan01

Postby chosenjuan01 » Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:24 pm

Dave17251 wrote:
chosenjuan01 wrote:I’ve noticed over this past year that the NFT hype has died down a lot. Why? Who knows?! I think that the NFT hype has died a little is because of the new lines they have dropping and the pack counts are so high. They need to start listening to the fans and making them more limited again.

What are your thoughts on this guys?

I want to hear everyones thoughts and opinions.

They need to keep them unique. I know we will eventually run into the same mold but we haven't seen a "thermal" turtle like the Leo grail from the TMNT set. Even tho we have the same mold, the colorway has stayed unique and has held up very well. Like they should give me a convincing reason why I should try for this rare piece and why I shouldn't just wait for another wave of the same line to drop.

This is valid I agree here. The colorways for the TMNT series was very unique ever since that drop it was been a complete downfall. I have been very selective ever since on what I want to buy/collect from their drops. We need some more uniqueness from them if they want to keep things more alive. :-({|= :-" ](*,) :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:
SHINZOU WO SASAGAYO
COMPTON BORN N RAISED

SnackDaddy
HoF 2017 & CotY
HoF 2017 & CotY

Postby SnackDaddy » Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:48 pm

Superman at Marshall's doesn't help
Houssein aka Huse aka SnackDaddy

chosenjuan01

Postby chosenjuan01 » Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:24 pm

SnackDaddy wrote:Superman at Marshall's doesn't help

Yeah I know right, although it seems kinda legit we still need more proof of him somehow actually finding that NFT at the Marshalls. If it’s 100% true that’s a bad look on Funko all the way. Everyone is upset about this and wants to know why this is happening. [-( #-o :(
SHINZOU WO SASAGAYO
COMPTON BORN N RAISED

chosenjuan01

Postby chosenjuan01 » Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:31 pm

Everyone’s thoughts on this? Someone allegedly found a Superman NFT at their local Marshalls for retail price $11.99. lol
SHINZOU WO SASAGAYO
COMPTON BORN N RAISED

Funkolotz1622

Postby Funkolotz1622 » Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:10 pm

chosenjuan01 wrote:Everyone’s thoughts on this? Someone allegedly found a Superman NFT at their local Marshalls for retail price $11.99. lol

I mean if it's real good for him. If I see one myself I would believe it.
Fundays 2022 - Black Light Proto Robos
Fright Night 2022

chosenjuan01

Postby chosenjuan01 » Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:07 pm

Funkolotz1622 wrote:
chosenjuan01 wrote:Everyone’s thoughts on this? Someone allegedly found a Superman NFT at their local Marshalls for retail price $11.99. lol

I mean if it's real good for him. If I see one myself I would believe it.

Yeah I told myself the same thing if I were to find one I’d definitely pick it up too. Really dope find if it is true. =D> :cheers:
SHINZOU WO SASAGAYO
COMPTON BORN N RAISED

chosenjuan01

Postby chosenjuan01 » Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:08 pm

Ginzo1622 wrote:
fairytail081202 wrote:

They getting faster now I think.

Yeah true the NFTs for Q4 have been shipping pretty fast. I’m waiting on the Teen Titans royalty and slade to come jn just got a shipping email two days ago.
SHINZOU WO SASAGAYO
COMPTON BORN N RAISED

araviele

Postby araviele » Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:33 am

Honestly regardless of hype they make their money. Less packs sold ultimately hurts them but maybe that means more transactions and income driven by fees from atomichub and their new marketplace. Obviously not equivalent but I think their total income from thr NFT space more than covers themselves even if they sell only like 50% of packs. Until that threshold if broken I don't see them doing any changes unless a license calls for less (or more) packs and pops.
ImageImage

Ginzo1622

Postby Ginzo1622 » Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:54 am

araviele wrote:Honestly regardless of hype they make their money. Less packs sold ultimately hurts them but maybe that means more transactions and income driven by fees from atomichub and their new marketplace. Obviously not equivalent but I think their total income from thr NFT space more than covers themselves even if they sell only like 50% of packs. Until that threshold if broken I don't see them doing any changes unless a license calls for less (or more) packs and pops.

I'm sure they are making money regardless. It's just they earning less and less every drop, they need to make it something interesting
Fright Night 2022

Don't stand in my way!!!

chosenjuan01

Postby chosenjuan01 » Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:43 am

araviele wrote:Honestly regardless of hype they make their money. Less packs sold ultimately hurts them but maybe that means more transactions and income driven by fees from atomichub and their new marketplace. Obviously not equivalent but I think their total income from thr NFT space more than covers themselves even if they sell only like 50% of packs. Until that threshold if broken I don't see them doing any changes unless a license calls for less (or more) packs and pops.

That’s true, but honestly it’s just going to get to a point where they won’t make a lot of money anymore. They need to make these future drops for the fans and something with a little more exclusivity (low pack numbers) then until then I’d say the hype has definitely died down a lot compared to 2022.
SHINZOU WO SASAGAYO
COMPTON BORN N RAISED

araviele

Postby araviele » Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:51 pm

chosenjuan01 wrote:

That’s true, but honestly it’s just going to get to a point where they won’t make a lot of money anymore. They need to make these future drops for the fans and something with a little more exclusivity (low pack numbers) then until then I’d say the hype has definitely died down a lot compared to 2022.

I mean hype is definitely dying down since packs on the secondary market were always like 80$+ every drop (TF era). Like a lot of funkos lines it seems it's not always for the fans lol. I think the NFT line is their most lucrative so as long as they are in the positive I don't expect changes too soon. At least under the current management
ImageImage

chosenjuan01

Postby chosenjuan01 » Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:59 pm

araviele wrote:
chosenjuan01 wrote:

I mean hype is definitely dying down since packs on the secondary market were always like 80$+ every drop (TF era). Like a lot of funkos lines it seems it's not always for the fans lol. I think the NFT line is their most lucrative so as long as they are in the positive I don't expect changes too soon. At least under the current management

That time was crazy because everything was very expensive at one point but everything has been pretty cheap/affordable recently. I don’t think anything will change anytime soon either which sucks but hey what can you do? ](*,)
SHINZOU WO SASAGAYO
COMPTON BORN N RAISED

fairytail081202

Postby fairytail081202 » Sat Nov 18, 2023 2:07 pm

Just redeemed my ST Royalty. Hope it get shipped out soon.

sealordbrian

Postby sealordbrian » Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:05 pm

Don't see it as hype dying as more so the lack of promotion and larger runs. Both are affecting the perception that they aren't as popular. But in the NFT groups, there is still a strong demand for NFTs.

scullysdad

Postby scullysdad » Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:52 pm

fairytail081202 wrote:Just redeemed my ST Royalty. Hope it get shipped out soon.

Stranger Things? I would say we have minimum until March before they ship. I have all six on the way myself since I am a ST completionist (minus Golden Hopper of course…).
Please Funko make Taylor Swift Pops!

Most wanted non-Taylor Pops: Carson Teva, Naru from Prey, The Last of Us TV show

Funkolotz1622

Postby Funkolotz1622 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:10 pm

scullysdad wrote:
fairytail081202 wrote:Just redeemed my ST Royalty. Hope it get shipped out soon.

Stranger Things? I would say we have minimum until March before they ship. I have all six on the way myself since I am a ST completionist (minus Golden Hopper of course…).

Yeah this will probably next year, but I think they are shipping things faster so maybe it won't reach March
Fundays 2022 - Black Light Proto Robos
Fright Night 2022

FunkoholicsAnonymous

Postby FunkoholicsAnonymous » Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:54 pm

They need to do anime and the hype will return
:freddy2:
Hi, my name is Erl
TUFF crew
IG’s:
@funkoholics_anonymous
@operationpop (charity work)

SDCC Funko Pop Up Shop 2017
Funko Hollywood Grand Opening 2019
Funkon 2021
Fundays 2022, 2023
Fright Night 2022
Mask-O-Raid 2022, 2023

Funkognome

Postby Funkognome » Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:01 pm

I stopped buying when I can buy all the Redeemables after release for $40 or less and know the condition before buying.
As opposed to:
1. Buy packs
2. Get lucky and get Redeemables
3. Remember to redeem them
4. Wait a year
5. Pray they show up in good shape

Ginzo1622

Postby Ginzo1622 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:55 am

Funkognome wrote:I stopped buying when I can buy all the Redeemables after release for $40 or less and know the condition before buying.
As opposed to:
1. Buy packs
2. Get lucky and get Redeemables
3. Remember to redeem them
4. Wait a year
5. Pray they show up in good shape

I've seen a lot people who does that, but you can never predict the prices when they release. I know most of them are around that range but not everything
Fright Night 2022

Don't stand in my way!!!

Beastywolf

Postby Beastywolf » Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:47 pm

Yes I think it also has to do with resell when it's in hand. Notice that nft pops dont rell as much as before so you can just wait and but them from people instead if going through the hassle of buying packs.

chosenjuan01

Postby chosenjuan01 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:54 pm

FunkoholicsAnonymous wrote:They need to do anime and the hype will return

Yeah I agree we need a “Shonen Jump” NFT series deicated to only Shonen Jump animes One Piece, Naruto, Bleach ect. Then I think the hype train will be running again big time!
SHINZOU WO SASAGAYO
COMPTON BORN N RAISED

chosenjuan01

Postby chosenjuan01 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:55 pm

Beastywolf wrote:Yes I think it also has to do with resell when it's in hand. Notice that nft pops dont rell as much as before so you can just wait and but them from people instead if going through the hassle of buying packs.

That is the smartest way to buy these nowadays unless you like to gamble LOL
SHINZOU WO SASAGAYO
COMPTON BORN N RAISED

Hot_Dog_Vendor

Postby Hot_Dog_Vendor » Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:14 pm

I like the ripping, especially because I am sure I will hit a 1 of 1 one of these days!
I am just a simple slinger of those warm wonderful dogs! Let's ketchup and relish in the pop world together!

Ginzo1622

Postby Ginzo1622 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:03 am

Hot_Dog_Vendor wrote:I like the ripping, especially because I am sure I will hit a 1 of 1 one of these days!

I can't to pull one too. And I will keep it forever
Fright Night 2022

Don't stand in my way!!!

Hermes

Postby Hermes » Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:30 am

Hot_Dog_Vendor wrote:I like the ripping, especially because I am sure I will hit a 1 of 1 one of these days!

Same! One day I’ll pull a 1 of 1… but enjoy the collecting aspect of the NFTs and the community surrounding them is a lot of fun.

FunkoholicsAnonymous

Postby FunkoholicsAnonymous » Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:24 pm

chosenjuan01 wrote:

Yeah I agree we need a “Shonen Jump” NFT series deicated to only Shonen Jump animes One Piece, Naruto, Bleach ect. Then I think the hype train will be running again big time!

That would be sick. What would you want the royalty to be?
:freddy2:
Hi, my name is Erl
TUFF crew
IG’s:
@funkoholics_anonymous
@operationpop (charity work)

SDCC Funko Pop Up Shop 2017
Funko Hollywood Grand Opening 2019
Funkon 2021
Fundays 2022, 2023
Fright Night 2022
Mask-O-Raid 2022, 2023

chosenjuan01

Postby chosenjuan01 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:18 pm

FunkoholicsAnonymous wrote:
chosenjuan01 wrote:

That would be sick. What would you want the royalty to be?

Freddy Funko as Sasuke or Hollow Ichigo. Freddy as Sasuke has to be Sasuke Amaterasu moment or something like that. Or maybe like a Freddy as Obito with his half broken mask.
SHINZOU WO SASAGAYO
COMPTON BORN N RAISED

Hot_Dog_Vendor

Postby Hot_Dog_Vendor » Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:00 pm

Hermes wrote:

Same! One day I’ll pull a 1 of 1… but enjoy the collecting aspect of the NFTs and the community surrounding them is a lot of fun.

It really is, even if there is so.much hate outside the community.
I am just a simple slinger of those warm wonderful dogs! Let's ketchup and relish in the pop world together!

Hot_Dog_Vendor

Postby Hot_Dog_Vendor » Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:07 pm

Ginzo1622 wrote:

I can't to pull one too. And I will keep it forever

Oh, I 100% would keep it as well!

LakerSpartan117

Postby LakerSpartan117 » Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:11 am

So I've been watching the sales on eBay for NFT redeemable Pops for ones I missed out on and I have to say they are pretty underwhelming. So if you're still doing the whole buy packs thing for a chance at a redeemable Pop you really want, I think you're best off saving your money and just flat out buying the Pop when it finally does get shipped.

Save some money, because the gamble can be pretty damning if you don't come out with anything.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “NFT/Digital”