Pack Count..

Funko has entered the world of Non-fungible tokens!
araviele

Pack Count..

Postby araviele » Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:03 am

As the title states....

What's going on with the pack counts honestly. I understand they still are profitable with even a 50% burn rate but still. The idea tokenhead/droppp had with the beginning of project is the limited count pieces (as mentioned in their interviews). Why have we seen everything just increase over time. IP deals or not how many different collections have to not sell out before they get back to that central idea
Last edited by araviele on Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

Ginzo1622

Re: Pack Count..

Postby Ginzo1622 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:43 am

araviele wrote:As the title states....

What's going on with the pack counts honestly. I understand they still are profitable with even a 50% burn rate but still. The idea tokenhead/droppp had with the beginning of project is the limit count pieces (as mentioned in their interviews). Why have we seen everything just increase over time. IP deals or not how many different collections have to not sell out before they get back to that central idea

It's basically a preorder, you put the number and people will decide how many will be sold. Like you said they are profitable regardless . Everything is still limited it's just based on demand right now.
Fundays 2022 - Proto Robots
Fright Night 2022
Fundays 2023 - Protomoa Wolves

Don't stand in my way!!!

:whdat:

cliffd64
Hall of Fame Class of 2006
Hall of Fame Class of 2006

Postby cliffd64 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:35 am

I still don't understand why they just don't keep selling the packs for as long as needed... it's not food... they don't spoil...
Image ImageImage Image Image Image Image

Valde
HOF 2022 & CotM
HOF 2022 & CotM

Postby Valde » Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:43 am

cliffd64 wrote:I still don't understand why they just don't keep selling the packs for as long as needed... it's not food... they don't spoil...

That kinda confuses me too, like the drop is on Tuesday and some people get paid on Friday. Maybe they should make it a week.
Grail: Super Freddy
Jason - va1de on Instagram
ImageImageImage

Wiselordship

Postby Wiselordship » Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:14 am

Valde wrote:
cliffd64 wrote:I still don't understand why they just don't keep selling the packs for as long as needed... it's not food... they don't spoil...

That kinda confuses me too, like the drop is on Tuesday and some people get paid on Friday. Maybe they should make it a week.

Right. Seems like they should at least wait a week. I'm sure more would sale. Maybe they worry people will forget or just not wanting to leave the packs out there for that long.

araviele

Postby araviele » Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:03 pm

Has to be a licensing thing or something... this point has bugged me too. Wild to see them increase from 60-120 $ checkout on HP though. Maybe changes are coming.
ImageImage

araviele

Postby araviele » Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:04 pm

Wiselordship wrote:
Valde wrote:

Right. Seems like they should at least wait a week. I'm sure more would sale. Maybe they worry people will forget or just not wanting to leave the packs out there for that long.

Honestly if payday Friday decides if someone buys into a gambling system I'd almost say keep it Tuesdays haha
ImageImage

araviele

Postby araviele » Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:09 pm

Ginzo1622 wrote:

What's going on with the pack counts honestly. I understand they still are profitable with even a 50% burn rate but still. The idea tokenhead/droppp had with the beginning of project is the limit count pieces (as mentioned in their interviews). Why have we seen everything just increase over time. IP deals or not how many different collections have to not sell out before they get back to that central idea

It's basically a preorder, you put the number and people will decide how many will be sold. Like you said they are profitable regardless . Everything is still limited it's just based on demand right now.

I get that but like pre-ordering for mlst other items/collections/etc (not limited to funko) you can always adjust how many you manufacture and how many you make available for pre-order. You have growing data that certain pack counts sell out and some don't. So many different measurable covariates that can make a case to be more profitable and benefit the collectors and the idea of limited counts. That's why I personally hopped on the NFT Funko train is there isn't (hopefully) manipulation of how many there really are.
ImageImage

Funkolotz1622

Postby Funkolotz1622 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:30 pm

araviele wrote:
Ginzo1622 wrote:

I get that but like pre-ordering for mlst other items/collections/etc (not limited to funko) you can always adjust how many you manufacture and how many you make available for pre-order. You have growing data that certain pack counts sell out and some don't. So many different measurable covariates that can make a case to be more profitable and benefit the collectors and the idea of limited counts. That's why I personally hopped on the NFT Funko train is there isn't (hopefully) manipulation of how many there really are.

They don't incur cost for producing more though, yet they can generate profit based on how much they sell. If they were to put 10k packs for one line yes it will sell out, if they have put 30k packs and 15k was sold they have extra 5k in there. Did they incur extra cost no, but they did get more profit.
Fundays 2022 - Black Light Proto Robos
Fright Night 2022

araviele

Postby araviele » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:33 am

They definitely incur more cost though with more packs produced?...

Just because it's digital and just a number change doesnt mean it stops there, you have to think full picture and all the costs associated. If they have a higher pack count they still have to physical produce the total amount of pops (or possible total) for the set way prior to the redemption period. This is speculated to be even months and months prior to snapshot or sale given the dust on products and the logistical challenges of all the funko lines and shipping from the manufacturer warehouse (China).

So cost of increased production counts, shipping logistics, time taken from manufacturing other lines or products, etc I would argue definitely incur more cost ultimately. The amount would be unknown unless you're on the manufacturing logistics side of funko though.
ImageImage

RedRoo

Postby RedRoo » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:53 am

Back in ye early days they were quite the opposite and on the to low. BUT from the look of this year they might change it up a little. the big packs are getting even bigger now.
~Guy
TEAM BACON!
"With blood and rage of crimson red,

Ripped from a corpse so freshly dead,

Together with our hellish hate,

We'll burn you all--that is your fate!"

ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

ldela001

Postby ldela001 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:23 am

There has to be a sweet spot for sure. Previously, they’d sell out fast leaving many fans upset. Now it feels cringeworthy when they announce burning so many packs.
Funko Goals:
-Attend Fundays
-Win a prototype
-Collect all Ewok-related Pops!

:wwe7:

scullysdad

Postby scullysdad » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:43 am

What's going on with the pack counts honestly. I understand they still are profitable with even a 50% burn rate but still. The idea tokenhead/droppp had with the beginning of project is the limited count pieces (as mentioned in their interviews). Why have we seen everything just increase over time. IP deals or not how many different collections have to not sell out before they get back to that central idea

At least there are no more 100k pack drops, those were insane. I think they should announce that nothing gets more than 40k packs anymore, but then something like Star Wars will come out and people will go nuts that it sells out so quick.
Please Funko make Taylor Swift Pops!

Most wanted non-Taylor Pops: Carson Teva, Naru from Prey, The Last of Us TV show

Wiselordship

Postby Wiselordship » Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:58 pm

araviele wrote:
Wiselordship wrote:
Valde wrote:

Honestly if payday Friday decides if someone buys into a gambling system I'd almost say keep it Tuesdays haha

People spend their money they way they want to. So really just giving them an option instead of buying the resell packs. Really a lot are just buying them after from the resellers.

Funkolotz1622

Postby Funkolotz1622 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:29 pm

Wiselordship wrote:
araviele wrote:
Wiselordship wrote:Right. Seems like they should at least wait a week. I'm sure more would sale. Maybe they worry people will forget or just not wanting to leave the packs out there for that long.

People spend their money they way they want to. So really just giving them an option instead of buying the resell packs. Really a lot are just buying them after from the resellers.

People buy from reseller because they don't want to deal with wax droppp. But if you think about it packs prices is more reasonable than before. Sometimes you can buy them less than retail.
Fundays 2022 - Black Light Proto Robos
Fright Night 2022

CaseyJones14
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY

Postby CaseyJones14 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:50 pm

They’d rather have too many packs than not enough. It doesn’t cost them to burn packs so overproducing packs isn’t a big deal to them. Like others have said though it’s weird they burn them the same day.
Brett - caseyj0nes14 on Instagram
ISO - Dorbz and McNugget Protos!

Markn12

Postby Markn12 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:37 pm

I think it’s just Funko wanting to make sure it gets everything it can out of every possible drop. But it also seems like some if the excitement is waning a bit on NFTs generally.

jagpop

Postby jagpop » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:09 pm

Markn12 wrote:I think it’s just Funko wanting to make sure it gets everything it can out of every possible drop. But it also seems like some if the excitement is waning a bit on NFTs generally.

This makes sense. If they kept packs available indefinitely then they would have to stash the physicals forever or until they take the packs down. And as we have all read, there is a physical storage issue.

I am not in danger, I am the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!

Funnybob

Postby Funnybob » Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:25 am

I think they've learned their lesson (i hope) about making too many packs. They realized that not all franchises are the same and demand the pack count as the some of the Tier 1 franchises (Dark Knight, HoTD come to mind). And also bumping the premium packs to 17 will hopefully drive up demand a little more.

thejosh2010
HoF 2020 & CotM
HoF 2020 & CotM

Postby thejosh2010 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:06 pm

jagpop wrote:
Markn12 wrote:I think it’s just Funko wanting to make sure it gets everything it can out of every possible drop. But it also seems like some if the excitement is waning a bit on NFTs generally.

This makes sense. If they kept packs available indefinitely then they would have to stash the physicals forever or until they take the packs down. And as we have all read, there is a physical storage issue.

Definitely agree with this :-$
COTM 01/18
HALL OF FAME 2020 #79
IG: THEJOSH2010
Funko LOVE in the Heart of the Appalachia

Ginzo1622

Postby Ginzo1622 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:04 am

People complain if they don't get one and people also complain if it's too many. So now they are forcing people to decide how many will sell out
Fundays 2022 - Proto Robots
Fright Night 2022

Don't stand in my way!!!

:whdat:

FuegoGlorious

Postby FuegoGlorious » Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:06 am

I think if they run out, they probably view that as a L because they could have just created more and made money. At the same time only selling at 50% cannot be a good look for them. The biggest wins are prob like harry potter where they sell most of the packs but have a small amount remaining.
:SW7a:

Return to “NFT/Digital”