Mondo Posters - Done or Not

Funko’s latest acquisition, Mondo is an American company known for releasing limited edition screen printed posters for films, television shows, and comics, as well as vinyl movie soundtracks, clothing and apparel, toys, and re-issues of VHS releases
jzq88

Re: Mondo Posters - Done or Not

Postby jzq88 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:34 pm

sadness, i hope they rebound
:freddy3:

Imagery
Hall of Fame Class of 2022
Hall of Fame Class of 2022

Postby Imagery » Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:18 pm

Was very saddened by this news. Even if I couldn't buy it all, I always appreciated the art and artists they brought to the forefront.
Funklub member 2016000004714 a.k.a. Sarah
ISO: Ursula, 1/24 Freddy Mad Hatter; NBC Zero Mopeez; Despicable Me 3 Target exclusive PSHs; Freddy Flux Winky and Smiley; HT & Walmart exclusive Disney Villains MMs
Funko events attended: 2016 Fright Night; 2017 & 2018 FDO — Canada; Funkon 2021; Fundays Teams 2017 — Justice League, 2018 — Goonies, 2019 — Loko Moko, 2021 — Proto Punks, 2022 — Pop Protectors

JCFun

Postby JCFun » Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:21 am

As a long long time poster collector, I am hoping for the best here. I discussed it with the Spoke Art folks at WonderCon for a while, and apparently, there was some really amazing new work that was headed down the pipeline before this happened.
Image ImageImageImage

jzq88

Postby jzq88 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:55 am

JCFun wrote:As a long long time poster collector, I am hoping for the best here. I discussed it with the Spoke Art folks at WonderCon for a while, and apparently, there was some really amazing new work that was headed down the pipeline before this happened.

I hope they see the light of the day!
:freddy3:

JCFun

Postby JCFun » Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:56 pm

jzq88 wrote:
JCFun wrote:As a long long time poster collector, I am hoping for the best here. I discussed it with the Spoke Art folks at WonderCon for a while, and apparently, there was some really amazing new work that was headed down the pipeline before this happened.

I hope they see the light of the day!

Same! They did just drop one for Loki so maybe
Image ImageImageImage

Funkofresh916

Postby Funkofresh916 » Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:29 am

Excited to see where funko takes the poster part

archieb

Postby archieb » Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:32 am

Brian's statement about Mondo gives us hope. Those posters they have during SDCC are always top notch!
:freddy2:

blind_reaper903

Postby blind_reaper903 » Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:41 am

I hope they rebound with a bang and this year at SDCC they bring it!

SpaceDude
Rookie Of The year
Rookie Of The year

Postby SpaceDude » Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:19 pm

Funkofresh916 wrote:Excited to see where funko takes the poster part

Me too it will be cool!
Tate/SpaceDude's Pop Vault :freddy3:
2020 Rookie of the Year
Instagram: spacedudespopvault
Facebook: Tate McCarty
Colorado Funatic

NoOtherOptions

Postby NoOtherOptions » Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:36 pm

blind_reaper903 wrote:I hope they rebound with a bang and this year at SDCC they bring it!

If everythings an open order then it'll kill any SDCC hype. I'm not real sure what direction theyre taking.

absurdnurd

Postby absurdnurd » Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:09 pm

I recently received my first ever Mondo poster and was absolutely in awe of the quality. I’ve never had a collectable poster before and you can for sure tell they are top notch. I’m hoping that quality stays the same moving forward and mondo artists get free range to design.

mrodr110

Postby mrodr110 » Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:51 pm

Hopefully Mondo comes back strong. I have a few posters and have always like them. SDCC would be great to see something cool.

heymrosario
SCCA 2023
SCCA 2023

Postby heymrosario » Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:44 pm

absurdnurd wrote:I recently received my first ever Mondo poster and was absolutely in awe of the quality. I’ve never had a collectable poster before and you can for sure tell they are top notch. I’m hoping that quality stays the same moving forward and mondo artists get free range to design.

you should totally share a photo! I've been wanting to get one and hopefully there is one that really will get me to buy! From what I hear, the designs are so detailed and the print quality is outstanding. I'm very hopeful that with Funko's help, the quality and the range of artists, lines, and fandoms will grow! \:D/

Hey there, I'm Marc! (•◡•)
Collector since '14 • Photographer • Designer
Follow me on Instagram: @heymrosario

NoobMaster69

Postby NoobMaster69 » Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:48 am

My understanding is that many of the OG Mondo employees were actual kept onboard (contrary to the original announcement). We'll see how things go this summer at SDCC but I'm in for a few more posters! The MOTU one was sick - it's on the wall downstairs.

c00kiem0nster

Postby c00kiem0nster » Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:36 pm

I think this SDCC will tell us if they are truly alive. They always go all out for the Con.

stl_ben

Postby stl_ben » Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:42 am

NoobMaster69 wrote:My understanding is that many of the OG Mondo employees were actual kept onboard (contrary to the original announcement). We'll see how things go this summer at SDCC but I'm in for a few more posters! The MOTU one was sick - it's on the wall downstairs.

Over 50% of the staff was let go including all of the founders.
0% chance their posters will return to glory as almost every major artist has stated they will never work with mondo/funko again due to this.
ImageImageImage

kdmlvr

Postby kdmlvr » Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:03 pm

c00kiem0nster wrote:I think this SDCC will tell us if they are truly alive. They always go all out for the Con.

That is a good point, I did not think of that.
Funko Pop Fan & Loungefly fan.

NoobMaster69

Postby NoobMaster69 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:00 pm

stl_ben wrote:
NoobMaster69 wrote:My understanding is that many of the OG Mondo employees were actual kept onboard (contrary to the original announcement). We'll see how things go this summer at SDCC but I'm in for a few more posters! The MOTU one was sick - it's on the wall downstairs.

Over 50% of the staff was let go including all of the founders.
0% chance their posters will return to glory as almost every major artist has stated they will never work with mondo/funko again due to this.

Ah, gotcha. I must have read the information incorrectly. I’m still hopefully for this SDCC - we’ll find out in about 3 months!

Comicbookwriter

Postby Comicbookwriter » Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:04 pm

One year at SDCC, I picked up my Mondo Dark Tower and was able to meet and get it signed by Drew Struzan!! It was a 12 color print and a first for them!!
ImageImageImage

bertosaur

Postby bertosaur » Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:55 pm

My hope is that when they do start the poster productions back up that they keep the same standard and quality that was present during the Mondo run. I have a collection of posters (some still in the tube because of lack of space) and I love the work done by the artist they got. Personal favorites are Martin Ansin's Rogue One poster that I have on my wall and 100% soft Die Hard poster.

Lord Bacon

Postby Lord Bacon » Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:59 pm

bertosaur wrote:My hope is that when they do start the poster productions back up that they keep the same standard and quality that was present during the Mondo run. I have a collection of posters (some still in the tube because of lack of space) and I love the work done by the artist they got. Personal favorites are Martin Ansin's Rogue One poster that I have on my wall and 100% soft Die Hard poster.

Hear, hear.

I just want more quality art pieces, from talented artist in the amp community.
Image Image Image Image Image

NoOtherOptions

Postby NoOtherOptions » Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:02 am

I don't really understand the entire twitter post on Mondo. They already had multiple open editions. Curated art was their entire point. There's already other businesses like Bottleneck out there. Do they want stuff clogging aisles? makes me sad.

billyconard

Postby billyconard » Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:38 pm

Lord Bacon wrote:
bertosaur wrote:My hope is that when they do start the poster productions back up that they keep the same standard and quality that was present during the Mondo run. I have a collection of posters (some still in the tube because of lack of space) and I love the work done by the artist they got. Personal favorites are Martin Ansin's Rogue One poster that I have on my wall and 100% soft Die Hard poster.

Hear, hear.

I second this. I get that the scarcity is part of the appeal for many Mondo poster collectors. But for me - it's the artists and quality that matter most. If they can retain and expand on the artistic approach - I'll continue to buy. It's nice to have something that isn't mass produced and sold at walmart or amazon - but it would be nice to have a chance to get something that isn't limited to 100 prints.

I also hope they keep limited print events at places like SDCC. Those are great for attendees and can't be hacked by bots and such to get one at retail price.

Lord Bacon

Postby Lord Bacon » Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:00 pm

billyconard wrote:
Lord Bacon wrote:

Hear, hear.

I second this. I get that the scarcity is part of the appeal for many Mondo poster collectors. But for me - it's the artists and quality that matter most. If they can retain and expand on the artistic approach - I'll continue to buy. It's nice to have something that isn't mass produced and sold at walmart or amazon - but it would be nice to have a chance to get something that isn't limited to 100 prints.

I also hope they keep limited print events at places like SDCC. Those are great for attendees and can't be hacked by bots and such to get one at retail price.

I agree. Reward the people who attend the cons in person with "limited" variants of prints, but also have other options available to buy online for those who can't make it to cons, that are not as limited.

absurdnurd

Postby absurdnurd » Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:56 am

heymrosario wrote:
absurdnurd wrote:I recently received my first ever Mondo poster and was absolutely in awe of the quality. I’ve never had a collectable poster before and you can for sure tell they are top notch. I’m hoping that quality stays the same moving forward and mondo artists get free range to design.

you should totally share a photo! I've been wanting to get one and hopefully there is one that really will get me to buy! From what I hear, the designs are so detailed and the print quality is outstanding. I'm very hopeful that with Funko's help, the quality and the range of artists, lines, and fandoms will grow! \:D/

Heres my first Mondo poster as requested!

BearyAllen

Postby BearyAllen » Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:29 pm

As many others I am hoping for the best after Brian's statement, Mondo posters have been some of my favorite items from SDCC years past!

I remember standing in line waiting to pick one up and someone asked what we were in line for, we said Mondo posters, "oh, how much are those?" about 80 bucks.."For a poster!?!" lol

CannuliT1

Postby CannuliT1 » Thu May 04, 2023 12:20 am

wonder if funko HQ will get some mondo stuff in stock eventually be nice to snag a poster
@cannulit

jcrook

Postby jcrook » Thu May 04, 2023 12:55 am

CannuliT1 wrote:wonder if funko HQ will get some mondo stuff in stock eventually be nice to snag a poster

I don’t believe we will be seeing posters any longer from Mondo, with the laying off of a lot of Mondo staff I would look to BNG for your future poster wants. It does seem like they are still planning on selling Mondo vinyls, hopefully that will last.
Funko Fundays 2017
FunKon 2021
SDCC 2017, 2018, 2022

I go by Crook

partner-in-crime

Postby partner-in-crime » Thu May 04, 2023 1:19 am

jcrook wrote:
CannuliT1 wrote:wonder if funko HQ will get some mondo stuff in stock eventually be nice to snag a poster

I don’t believe we will be seeing posters any longer from Mondo, with the laying off of a lot of Mondo staff I would look to BNG for your future poster wants. It does seem like they are still planning on selling Mondo vinyls, hopefully that will last.

I was really sad about how all this went down. Last year at SDCC I was in line everyday getting the Godzilla prints, their vinyls are okay, but I collect posters, really sad about Mondo poster demise :-({|=
Hello funatics, I'm Alana and I love collecting dragon pops.

FUNDAYS 2016, 2018, 2019, 2022
FDO LA 8
World Premiere Making Fun
FUNKO Hollywood Grand Opening
[color=#FF8000]Mask O Raid 2022[/color]

kdmlvr

Postby kdmlvr » Thu May 04, 2023 12:42 pm

partner-in-crime wrote:
jcrook wrote:

I was really sad about how all this went down. Last year at SDCC I was in line everyday getting the Godzilla prints, their vinyls are okay, but I collect posters, really sad about Mondo poster demise :-({|=

I think they will still make some posters.

partner-in-crime

Postby partner-in-crime » Thu May 04, 2023 12:45 pm

kdmlvr wrote:
partner-in-crime wrote:
jcrook wrote:

I am hoping so, but hear a lot of artists won't do work for them now. That being said, I'm sure there are other artists that will jump at the chance.
Hello funatics, I'm Alana and I love collecting dragon pops.

FUNDAYS 2016, 2018, 2019, 2022
FDO LA 8
World Premiere Making Fun
FUNKO Hollywood Grand Opening
[color=#FF8000]Mask O Raid 2022[/color]

mattytreks

Postby mattytreks » Thu May 04, 2023 2:04 pm

They 100% will still be putting out posters under the Mondo brand -- just less frequently.

I was actually hoping for a little something special from Mondo today for May the 4th. In recent years they have had some incredible print drops on this day.

jcrook

Postby jcrook » Thu May 04, 2023 2:25 pm

mattytreks wrote:They 100% will still be putting out posters under the Mondo brand -- just less frequently.

I was actually hoping for a little something special from Mondo today for May the 4th. In recent years they have had some incredible print drops on this day.

But Mondo isn't the same Mondo since Funko laid off most the Mondo staff and from my email today there has been no May the 4th posters dropped from Mondo. Yes, I realize I'm still salty about this, but was collecting Mondo before I started collecting Funko and I was excited when Funko bought them, but now, just really sad that Funko bought them.
Funko Fundays 2017
FunKon 2021
SDCC 2017, 2018, 2022

I go by Crook

Stragon

Postby Stragon » Thu May 04, 2023 5:59 pm

I'm hoping against hope that there will be posters at SDCC. I know that no posters have been released since the layoffs, but hopefully by SDCC there may be something.
FUNKO FUNDAYS: 2016,2018,2019,2022
Funko Hollywood Grand Opening
World Premiere - Making Fun
Funko Virtual Con 2020
Funko Mask O Raid 2022

Lord Bacon

Postby Lord Bacon » Thu May 04, 2023 9:33 pm

Stragon wrote:I'm hoping against hope that there will be posters at SDCC. I know that no posters have been released since the layoffs, but hopefully by SDCC there may be something.

They've release a couple. A Texas Chainsaw Massacre piece was just released and sold out yesterday.

I agree that I would really love to see some Mondo exclusives available at SDCC. I loved their "store" in Funkoville last year.

Lord Bacon

Postby Lord Bacon » Thu May 04, 2023 9:35 pm

absurdnurd wrote:
heymrosario wrote:

That's a sweet piece. Love Matt Taylor's use of color in his works.

mattytreks

Postby mattytreks » Thu May 04, 2023 11:06 pm

Lord Bacon wrote:
absurdnurd wrote:
heymrosario wrote:

That's a sweet piece. Love Matt Taylor's use of color in his works.

Gorgeous Matt Taylor print! I really loved his Avengers ones, too.

kdmlvr

Postby kdmlvr » Fri May 05, 2023 10:48 am

partner-in-crime wrote:
kdmlvr wrote:
partner-in-crime wrote:

I am hoping so, but hear a lot of artists won't do work for them now. That being said, I'm sure there are other artists that will jump at the chance.

There are so many artist out there, I doubt they will have a problem finding an artist.

kdmlvr

Postby kdmlvr » Fri May 05, 2023 10:48 am

partner-in-crime wrote:
kdmlvr wrote:
partner-in-crime wrote:

There are so many artist out there, I doubt they will have a problem finding an artist.

dolphinax2

Postby dolphinax2 » Fri May 05, 2023 11:25 am

kdmlvr wrote:
partner-in-crime wrote:
kdmlvr wrote:

Completely agree with you.
Hi. I'm Jeanne (Go by Gina).
I like Nightmare Before Christmas and anything else that catches my eye :)
FUNKO FUNKLUB #13433

[b]Fundays:2015,2016,2017,2018,2019,2020[/b]
Funko Fright Night2016
Funko Hollywood Grand Opening
World Premiere - Making Fun
Funko Virtual Con 2020
Funkon 2021
FDO 6,7,8 & 9
https://i.ibb.co/wg3cKBx/hJXGyyX.png

Return to “Mondo”