Mondo Posters - Done or Not

Funko’s latest acquisition, Mondo is an American company known for releasing limited edition screen printed posters for films, television shows, and comics, as well as vinyl movie soundtracks, clothing and apparel, toys, and re-issues of VHS releases
kdmlvr

Re: Mondo Posters - Done or Not

Postby kdmlvr » Fri May 05, 2023 3:05 pm

dolphinax2 wrote:
kdmlvr wrote:
partner-in-crime wrote:
I am hoping so, but hear a lot of artists won't do work for them now. That being said, I'm sure there are other artists that will jump at the chance.

There are so many artist out there, I doubt they will have a problem finding an artist.

Completely agree with you.

I do hope they make some for SDCC this year
Funko Pop Fan & Loungefly fan.

stl_ben

Postby stl_ben » Fri May 05, 2023 3:20 pm

kdmlvr wrote:There are so many artist out there, I doubt they will have a problem finding an artist.

Quantity does not equal quality. They will never have the quality line up they had before.
ImageImageImage

mastakimchi

Postby mastakimchi » Fri May 05, 2023 10:50 pm

have they had any updates on taht robotech poster and cowboy bebop show they teased last year?

stl_ben

Postby stl_ben » Fri May 05, 2023 11:38 pm

mastakimchi wrote:have they had any updates on taht robotech poster and cowboy bebop show they teased last year?

I think the update is all the artist pulled out......
ImageImageImage

Lord Bacon

Postby Lord Bacon » Sat May 06, 2023 6:40 pm

mastakimchi wrote:have they had any updates on taht robotech poster and cowboy bebop show they teased last year?

I think the Cowboy Bebop show is done for unfortunately. I was really looking forward to it since it was going to be the first Mondo gallery show we've had in years.

I do hope that the art that was being worked on for that show does eventually make its way out to fans via Mondo, the artists themselves or other galleries.
Image Image Image Image Image

dolphinax2

Postby dolphinax2 » Sat May 06, 2023 11:35 pm

Lord Bacon wrote:

I think the Cowboy Bebop show is done for unfortunately. I was really looking forward to it since it was going to be the first Mondo gallery show we've had in years.

I do hope that the art that was being worked on for that show does eventually make its way out to fans via Mondo, the artists themselves or other galleries.

Yes, hopefully the artists themselves will be able to put out their art where we can buy it.
Hi. I'm Jeanne (Go by Gina).
I like Nightmare Before Christmas and anything else that catches my eye :)
FUNKO FUNKLUB #13433

[b]Fundays:2015,2016,2017,2018,2019,2020[/b]
Funko Fright Night2016
Funko Hollywood Grand Opening
World Premiere - Making Fun
Funko Virtual Con 2020
Funkon 2021
FDO 6,7,8 & 9
https://i.ibb.co/wg3cKBx/hJXGyyX.png

partner-in-crime

Postby partner-in-crime » Sat May 06, 2023 11:42 pm

stl_ben wrote:

I think the update is all the artist pulled out......

I think you are right and we probably won;t see these unless the artists put them out or they had already submitted them to Funko/Mondo.
Hello funatics, I'm Alana and I love collecting dragon pops.

FUNDAYS 2016, 2018, 2019, 2022
FDO LA 8
World Premiere Making Fun
FUNKO Hollywood Grand Opening
[color=#FF8000]Mask O Raid 2022[/color]

Lord Bacon

Postby Lord Bacon » Sat May 06, 2023 11:45 pm

dolphinax2 wrote:
Lord Bacon wrote:

Yes, hopefully the artists themselves will be able to put out their art where we can buy it.

Here's hoping! There was a lot of hype for the art show, and I know there will be some killer art that I will need to add to my collection.

Stragon

Postby Stragon » Sat May 06, 2023 11:53 pm

Lord Bacon wrote:
dolphinax2 wrote:
Lord Bacon wrote:

Here's hoping! There was a lot of hype for the art show, and I know there will be some killer art that I will need to add to my collection.

I'm with you hoping that somehow, someway, it will happen.
FUNKO FUNDAYS: 2016,2018,2019,2022
Funko Virtual Con 2020
Funko Mask O Raid 2022

Lexi

Postby Lexi » Sun May 07, 2023 1:57 am

Kingwolfdaddy wrote:
stl_ben wrote:And the answer is yes ....
https://www.thewrap.com/funko-mondo-lay ... roduction/?

So sad. Posters are what made Mondo who they were. I cringed when Funko first purchased them and now we see why.

I was actually happy when Funko bought them, I foolishly thought it meant I’d see Mondo posters at the Hollywood store. Yes I’m young and was optimistic.
FUNKO FUNDAYS 2015, 2016, 2022
FDO LA 6

FUNKON 2021

Lexi

Postby Lexi » Sun May 07, 2023 1:59 am

Lord Bacon wrote:
dolphinax2 wrote:
Lord Bacon wrote:

Hoping somehow it still happens, I was really looking forward to the Cowboy Bebop show.
FUNKO FUNDAYS 2015, 2016, 2022
FDO LA 6

FUNKON 2021

dolphinax2

Postby dolphinax2 » Sun May 07, 2023 6:41 pm

I would think in about 5-7 weeks we should start hearing about what will be available at SDCC, now that FDO is over with, time to start planning SDCC
Hi. I'm Jeanne (Go by Gina).
I like Nightmare Before Christmas and anything else that catches my eye :)
FUNKO FUNKLUB #13433

[b]Fundays:2015,2016,2017,2018,2019,2020[/b]
Funko Fright Night2016
Funko Virtual Con 2020
Funkon 2021
FDO 6,7,8 & 9
https://i.ibb.co/wg3cKBx/hJXGyyX.png

kdmlvr

Postby kdmlvr » Mon May 08, 2023 10:19 am

stl_ben wrote:
kdmlvr wrote:There are so many artist out there, I doubt they will have a problem finding an artist.

Quantity does not equal quality. They will never have the quality line up they had before.

There are alot of artist out there, so I would say never say never.

YoshinoyaPops

Postby YoshinoyaPops » Wed May 10, 2023 4:11 pm

Before at SDCC, Mondo was a different booth. I forgot, but will Mondo be a completely separate thing, or will lotto be required now? (The old Mondo booth, people would get in early, or even exhibitors get there first, getting the limited stuff before general public.
:freddy3:

stl_ben

Postby stl_ben » Wed May 10, 2023 7:09 pm

YoshinoyaPops wrote:Before at SDCC, Mondo was a different booth. I forgot, but will Mondo be a completely separate thing, or will lotto be required now? (The old Mondo booth, people would get in early, or even exhibitors get there first, getting the limited stuff before general public.

Nothing has been announced yet for this year. That being said most of the guys that have ran the booth for years arent working for Mondo any more.....
ImageImageImage

El_PANDA

Postby El_PANDA » Wed May 10, 2023 9:53 pm

YoshinoyaPops wrote:Before at SDCC, Mondo was a different booth. I forgot, but will Mondo be a completely separate thing, or will lotto be required now? (The old Mondo booth, people would get in early, or even exhibitors get there first, getting the limited stuff before general public.

Who knows I’m just hoping mondo is involved somehow would be disappointing if it’s not

YoshinoyaPops

Postby YoshinoyaPops » Thu May 11, 2023 9:37 am

stl_ben wrote:

Nothing has been announced yet for this year. That being said most of the guys that have ran the booth for years arent working for Mondo any more.....

At SDCC Special edition, it appeared to be a new team there, and they did have a booth as part of Funko side... which felt really odd, since I've been so use to the old spot.
:freddy3:

jigsaw

Postby jigsaw » Thu May 11, 2023 10:13 am

i think this was more a power move (just an opinion) but this will make mondo poster more available and less scarce? so this way everyone gets a poster but they wont be LE if they are its gonna be high numbers lol
SOME PEOPLE ARE SO UNGRATEFUL TO BE ALIVE.... BUT NOT YOU.... NOT ANYMORE.
ImageImage

IG: @Jigsaws_movie_room

Image ImageImage
ImageImage

grumpysf23

Postby grumpysf23 » Thu May 11, 2023 10:29 am

The glory days of Mondo prints/posters is probably over. I hope I'm wrong here but let's see if they have a presence during SDCC. Figure their toy and vinyl line will be more of a priority for Funko.

FuegoGlorious

Postby FuegoGlorious » Thu May 11, 2023 7:26 pm

I thought they said its confirmed its still going
:SW7a:

stl_ben

Postby stl_ben » Thu May 11, 2023 8:49 pm

FuegoGlorious wrote:I thought they said its confirmed its still going

You can stay its still going.....but words don't mean much.
Look how many fewer prints they have released since the announcment.
Look how many of their former artist have stated they will never work with Mondo again.
Artist with productions in the works were given the chance to pull out with the change and almost all of them did.
The new Creative Director (Attack Peter) has posted on social media that he needs help finding new artists.....

So sure they are continuing to make prints......just no artist want to design for them.
ImageImageImage

FuegoGlorious

Postby FuegoGlorious » Thu May 11, 2023 10:09 pm

you hate to see it
:SW7a:

wolfy233

Postby wolfy233 » Thu May 11, 2023 11:28 pm

It sure seems like it. I really hope that's not the case though.

kdmlvr

Postby kdmlvr » Fri May 12, 2023 9:26 am

stl_ben wrote:
FuegoGlorious wrote:I thought they said its confirmed its still going

You can stay its still going.....but words don't mean much.
Look how many fewer prints they have released since the announcment.
Look how many of their former artist have stated they will never work with Mondo again.
Artist with productions in the works were given the chance to pull out with the change and almost all of them did.
The new Creative Director (Attack Peter) has posted on social media that he needs help finding new artists.....

So sure they are continuing to make prints......just no artist want to design for them.

I think we need to give it some time, Attack Peter has also done some cool prints in the past.

stl_ben

Postby stl_ben » Sat May 13, 2023 2:02 pm

kdmlvr wrote:I think we need to give it some time, Attack Peter has also done some cool prints in the past.

Oh I'm not doubting Attack Peter makes great prints, he just can't keep up a Mondo level output on his own. They just announced a new Mondo Attack Peter print yesterday, and while that could be cool it to me screams I can't get any other artists so I'll have to do it myself. Like Rob Jones ran Mondo for over a decade and even before he was one of the top dogs at Mondo he was highly respected on print scene (heck he won a grammy for his art)....but yeah in all that time with Mondo he only released 3 Mondo prints. Attack Peter, one month in already releasing his first.
ImageImageImage

mastakimchi

Postby mastakimchi » Sun May 14, 2023 8:03 pm

I got a reply from attack peter when i asked him about the cowboy bebop show. he said it is still happening and news of it will be released soon. he also said that it won't be at austin, but at a different location. im glad its still on track

mastakimchi

Postby mastakimchi » Sun May 14, 2023 8:07 pm

Last year at sdcc it was a lottery system and the mondo booth was right next to the funko and loungefly booth.

JRJones92

Postby JRJones92 » Sun May 14, 2023 8:51 pm

mastakimchi wrote:I got a reply from attack peter when i asked him about the cowboy bebop show. he said it is still happening and news of it will be released soon. he also said that it won't be at austin, but at a different location. im glad its still on track

Im happy to hear that as well, i love cowboy bebop
-Jennifer-
♡ I collect pretty much anything I think is cool O:)
ISO: SDCC 13' bloody predator and bloody alien LE 1008/ OG sonic, knuckles, and tails/ master chief gold blockbuster exclusive, master chief Barnes and nobles exclusive, resident evil and gears of War lineup

kdmlvr

Postby kdmlvr » Mon May 15, 2023 9:29 am

stl_ben wrote:
kdmlvr wrote:I think we need to give it some time, Attack Peter has also done some cool prints in the past.

Oh I'm not doubting Attack Peter makes great prints, he just can't keep up a Mondo level output on his own. They just announced a new Mondo Attack Peter print yesterday, and while that could be cool it to me screams I can't get any other artists so I'll have to do it myself. Like Rob Jones ran Mondo for over a decade and even before he was one of the top dogs at Mondo he was highly respected on print scene (heck he won a grammy for his art)....but yeah in all that time with Mondo he only released 3 Mondo prints. Attack Peter, one month in already releasing his first.

Maybe they can find or discover some new artist.

plumb102

Postby plumb102 » Fri May 19, 2023 1:31 pm

Lord Bacon wrote:
theraven00 wrote:There's an updated article that says that poster production will continue. https://www.indiewire.com/2023/03/mondo-layoffs-funko-poster-production-doubt-1234822721/

Glad to hear that. Sad to hear that most of the og staff was let go, but am glad to hear that it isn't the end of Mondo art prints.

Did Funko cancel their contract all together with Mondo? or just let some staff go? :-k
SDCC 1996-current - Wondercon 2012-current - LACC 2021-current - ECCC '22 - Niagara Falls Con '22 - Designer Con '23
FunKon Hollywood '21 - Pasadena Con 2023-current - FunKon 2 HQ '22 - WonderCon Beach Bash '22 - Funkoville SDCC '22 & '23 -
WonderCon Fun House '23 - Back to the Beginning: Bob's Big Boy Meetup '24 - Comic-Con Revolution '24

Lord Bacon

Postby Lord Bacon » Fri May 19, 2023 3:00 pm

plumb102 wrote:
Lord Bacon wrote:
theraven00 wrote:There's an updated article that says that poster production will continue. https://www.indiewire.com/2023/03/mondo-layoffs-funko-poster-production-doubt-1234822721/

Glad to hear that. Sad to hear that most of the og staff was let go, but am glad to hear that it isn't the end of Mondo art prints.

Did Funko cancel their contract all together with Mondo? or just let some staff go? :-k

They let most of the staff go. Funko owns Mondo and they are still releasing product.

plumb102

Postby plumb102 » Fri May 19, 2023 4:40 pm

Lord Bacon wrote:
plumb102 wrote:
Lord Bacon wrote:

They let most of the staff go. Funko owns Mondo and they are still releasing product.

Ah, got it. cool thanks =D>
SDCC 1996-current - Wondercon 2012-current - LACC 2021-current - ECCC '22 - Niagara Falls Con '22 - Designer Con '23
FunKon Hollywood '21 - Pasadena Con 2023-current - FunKon 2 HQ '22 - WonderCon Beach Bash '22 - Funkoville SDCC '22 & '23 -
WonderCon Fun House '23 - Back to the Beginning: Bob's Big Boy Meetup '24 - Comic-Con Revolution '24

billyconard

Postby billyconard » Mon May 22, 2023 4:52 pm

I was bummed I couldn't snag the Hawkeye poster that dropped last week. I wish there had been a timed version for it because I wasn't able to even try for the regular drop. Oh well. Aftermarket it is for me i suppose.

But it's certainly proof that there are still posters coming in limited quantities and high quality production and artists.

stl_ben

Postby stl_ben » Tue May 23, 2023 10:31 pm

billyconard wrote:I was bummed I couldn't snag the Hawkeye poster that dropped last week. I wish there had been a timed version for it because I wasn't able to even try for the regular drop. Oh well. Aftermarket it is for me i suppose.

But it's certainly proof that there are still posters coming in limited quantities and high quality production and artists.

It's proof that they can license already existing art, 0 major artist have created anything new for Mondo since the news came out. (unless you count Attack Peter who they hired as the new head creative partner.)
ImageImageImage

PokemonMastaASH

Postby PokemonMastaASH » Wed May 24, 2023 3:09 pm

those new posters were kinda meh. yes no major content just a sad showing, like a person saying see I can still do this... but they really cant.

mastakimchi

Postby mastakimchi » Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:26 pm

matt taylor is releasing his space cowboy prints through spoke art

mastakimchi

Postby mastakimchi » Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:29 pm

heres a link to their twitter if you want to see the two prints https://twitter.com/Spoke_Art/status/16 ... 7840079884

stl_ben

Postby stl_ben » Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:35 pm

mastakimchi wrote:matt taylor is releasing his space cowboy prints through spoke art

Yep looks like almost all the artist for the Cowboy Bebop show have pulled their art from Nu Mondo and taking it elsewhere
ImageImageImage

grumpysf23

Postby grumpysf23 » Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:23 am

I hope posters are not done but the focus of late has been toys and records. I won't be surprised if Monday does not have posters at SDCC and just have toys and records.

Kwiksilverpop

Postby Kwiksilverpop » Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:28 pm

mastakimchi wrote:heres a link to their twitter if you want to see the two prints https://twitter.com/Spoke_Art/status/16 ... 7840079884

Thanks for sharing!
Cons: Comikaze' 15, SDCC '16, NYCC '16, Blizzcon '16, ECCC '17, D23 '17, SDCC '17, Blizzcon '17, ECCC '18, SDCC' 18, NYCC '18, DCON '18, SDCC '19, NYCC' 21, SDCC '22
Events: Fundays '16, Fright Night '16, Fundays '17, HQ Grand Opening '17, Fundays '18, Fundays '19, Fundays '22

Return to “Mondo”