Funko Guts Mondo: Lays off majority of staff

Funko’s latest acquisition, Mondo is an American company known for releasing limited edition screen printed posters for films, television shows, and comics, as well as vinyl movie soundtracks, clothing and apparel, toys, and re-issues of VHS releases
haw1577

Re: Funko Guts Mondo: Lays off majority of staff

Postby haw1577 » Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:16 pm

I wonder what's going to happen to all the Mondo event they were planning for 2023.

jzq88

Postby jzq88 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:54 am

i'm sad as well. glad i was able to purchase some of their posters.
:freddy3:

WinterBz

Postby WinterBz » Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:01 pm

I might have been sleeping under a rock all this time, but I only first heard of mondo about 2 weeks ago when they announced the release of Loki soundtrack album. The saddest news to hear when I just discovered this gem.

conventiongeek

Postby conventiongeek » Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:52 am

Interested to see how this all pans out...

Aussie Popin Paul

Postby Aussie Popin Paul » Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:15 am

Going to be very interesting to se what the new "limited" counts will be and the quality of the print. Defiantly sad news.
:freddy3: G'day all, I am a collector from Australia and my main thing to collect is Freddy Funko, also sodas and we have a little YouTube channel.

GimmeFunkoNow

Postby GimmeFunkoNow » Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:21 pm

skillawashere wrote:Disappointing all around. Honestly that PR letter did not help and had more people question the decisions made. It is what it is but they have disappointed a lot of fans and artists alike.

Exactly.

funkopants777

Postby funkopants777 » Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:46 pm

i will cherish my freebie mondo sticker forever :sad5:
ImageImageImage

egharevo

Postby egharevo » Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:49 pm

Super sad to hear about this

Comicbookwriter

Postby Comicbookwriter » Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:53 am

I hope they have an SDCC presence! I loved getting prints there live!
ImageImageImage

Straight2VHS

Postby Straight2VHS » Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:00 pm

Comicbookwriter wrote:I hope they have an SDCC presence! I loved getting prints there live!

Yeah, this is a real shame. I 2nd the SDCC presence but sadly it looks like that won't happen. Their booth, tucked away near the back corner of the convention hall, was always packed with fans clamoring for posters and other items.

Aussie Popin Paul

Postby Aussie Popin Paul » Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:54 pm

Comicbookwriter wrote:I hope they have an SDCC presence! I loved getting prints there live!

If Funko want to make the "NEW" Mondo work they will need to ramp up being at cons and not make it a secondary product. Time will tell but who knows with Funko at the moment
:freddy3: G'day all, I am a collector from Australia and my main thing to collect is Freddy Funko, also sodas and we have a little YouTube channel.

Comicbookwriter

Postby Comicbookwriter » Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:27 pm

Aussie Popin Paul wrote:

If Funko want to make the "NEW" Mondo work they will need to ramp up being at cons and not make it a secondary product. Time will tell but who knows with Funko at the moment

There is a real opportunity to make it/keep it great. I know plans are to expand print runs which is good but might make the collector part feel not as exclusive. I just think great posters need homes!!
ImageImageImage

Aussie Popin Paul

Postby Aussie Popin Paul » Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:18 pm

Comicbookwriter wrote:
Aussie Popin Paul wrote:

There is a real opportunity to make it/keep it great. I know plans are to expand print runs which is good but might make the collector part feel not as exclusive. I just think great posters need homes!!

I agree I just hope they dont go overboard with the counts as I feel that will change what Mondo is all about, great that more people can get them but we will see what the counts end up being. Also be interesting to see what happens with the records

Comicbookwriter

Postby Comicbookwriter » Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:56 pm

Aussie Popin Paul wrote:
Comicbookwriter wrote:
Aussie Popin Paul wrote:If Funko want to make the "NEW" Mondo work they will need to ramp up being at cons and not make it a secondary product. Time will tell but who knows with Funko at the moment

I agree I just hope they dont go overboard with the counts as I feel that will change what Mondo is all about, great that more people can get them but we will see what the counts end up being. Also be interesting to see what happens with the records

As long as quality stays, I’m good with an increase. Just don’t want it to go down brocade they are making too many posters.
ImageImageImage

e-funko-fan

Postby e-funko-fan » Thu May 04, 2023 10:42 pm

Oh man just reading about this :-/

jcrook

Postby jcrook » Fri May 05, 2023 1:37 am

It was really sad when it happened, think it was during Wondercon and on Twitter I noticed a lot of artists saying they would not work on new posters, but there is Bottleneck Gallery and a couple others that can step into the void.
Funko Fundays 2017
FunKon 2021
SDCC 2017, 2018, 2022

I go by Crook

mastakimchi

Postby mastakimchi » Tue May 09, 2023 7:06 pm

yea bottleneck and spokeart have been doing good work in the states lately

kdmlvr

Postby kdmlvr » Wed May 10, 2023 3:27 pm

jcrook wrote:It was really sad when it happened, think it was during Wondercon and on Twitter I noticed a lot of artists saying they would not work on new posters, but there is Bottleneck Gallery and a couple others that can step into the void.

It will be interesting to see.
Funko Pop Fan & Loungefly fan.

baghramdunks

Postby baghramdunks » Wed May 10, 2023 4:29 pm

Comicbookwriter wrote:
Aussie Popin Paul wrote:
Comicbookwriter wrote:

As long as quality stays, I’m good with an increase. Just don’t want it to go down brocade they are making too many posters.

I’m with you on this, hopefully the quality remains the same and not too many are produced. Flooding the market will be bad.

jcrook

Postby jcrook » Wed May 10, 2023 7:01 pm

mastakimchi wrote:yea bottleneck and spokeart have been doing good work in the states lately

I just heard about Spokesrt during WonderCon, had a friend pick me up one of their prints. Was very happy with it.
Funko Fundays 2017
FunKon 2021
SDCC 2017, 2018, 2022

I go by Crook

haw1577

Postby haw1577 » Thu May 11, 2023 2:54 am

Guess Mondo is a no show at Texas Frightmare Weekend 2023 was hoping to see some new horror poster.

FuegoGlorious

Postby FuegoGlorious » Thu May 11, 2023 6:30 pm

Unfortunate for the laid off but Funko has to do what makes business sense.
:SW7a:

funkopopfanatic

Postby funkopopfanatic » Sat May 13, 2023 4:35 pm

baghramdunks wrote:
Comicbookwriter wrote:
Aussie Popin Paul wrote:I agree I just hope they dont go overboard with the counts as I feel that will change what Mondo is all about, great that more people can get them but we will see what the counts end up being. Also be interesting to see what happens with the records

I’m with you on this, hopefully the quality remains the same and not too many are produced. Flooding the market will be bad.

Exactly. This can go both ways if they’re not careful.
SDCC Since 2007, Fundays 2018 & 2023!
Collecting Funko since 2011

Comicbookwriter

Postby Comicbookwriter » Mon May 15, 2023 1:41 am

I’m excited for SDCC and to see what Mondo brings. I think they will still have a presence.
ImageImageImage

Chingy

Postby Chingy » Mon May 15, 2023 10:39 am

Comicbookwriter wrote:I’m excited for SDCC and to see what Mondo brings. I think they will still have a presence.

One of the rewards for Funko's new Fan Rewards program is a tour of "Funkoville" at this year's SDCC which would indicate that they're planning on having a huge, multi-company floor presence, so I'm very hopeful that Mondo will be included at SDCC.

plumb102

Postby plumb102 » Fri May 19, 2023 1:32 pm

GimmeFunkoNow wrote:Treasure your Mondo posters even more now. They won’t be making any more… at all.

Earlier this week, Funko unceremoniously laid off most of the staff of Mondo, the Austin-based company whose distinctive and idiosyncratic movie posters, collectibles and records were the go-to ephemera for discerning movie-lovers, three individuals with knowledge told TheWrap.

Did Funko cancel their contract all together with Mondo? or just let some staff go? :-k
SDCC 1996-current - Wondercon 2012-current - LACC 2021-current - ECCC '22 - Niagara Falls Con '22 - Designer Con '23
FunKon Hollywood '21 - Pasadena Con 2023-current - FunKon 2 HQ '22 - WonderCon Beach Bash '22 - Funkoville SDCC '22 & '23 -
WonderCon Fun House '23 - Back to the Beginning: Bob's Big Boy Meetup '24 - Comic-Con Revolution '24

stl_ben

Postby stl_ben » Tue May 23, 2023 10:27 pm

plumb102 wrote:
GimmeFunkoNow wrote:Treasure your Mondo posters even more now. They won’t be making any more… at all.

Earlier this week, Funko unceremoniously laid off most of the staff of Mondo, the Austin-based company whose distinctive and idiosyncratic movie posters, collectibles and records were the go-to ephemera for discerning movie-lovers, three individuals with knowledge told TheWrap.

Did Funko cancel their contract all together with Mondo? or just let some staff go? :-k

They fired 50% of the staff including all of the remaining founding members of Mondo.
In doing so they burned bridges with almost all of their major artist.
Most have publicly posted they will never work with mondo again due to this.
ImageImageImage

mastakimchi

Postby mastakimchi » Tue May 23, 2023 11:09 pm

stl_ben wrote:
plumb102 wrote:

They fired 50% of the staff including all of the remaining founding members of Mondo.

yea basically fired everyone in the poster division and kept people from the vinyl division.

BenLo

Postby BenLo » Wed May 24, 2023 12:01 am

stl_ben wrote:
plumb102 wrote:

Dayum...that's crazy

skillawashere

Postby skillawashere » Wed May 24, 2023 12:10 am

Waiting to see what Funko will do with Mondo after all this.
Priscilla: Therapist that spends too much money on Iron Man and other Marvel collectibles (including Funko)

jcrook

Postby jcrook » Wed May 24, 2023 12:21 am

skillawashere wrote:Waiting to see what Funko will do with Mondo after all this.

I think they will have vinyl records, maybe some soft vinyls, and hopefully some posters. They may even have some tiki mugs
Funko Fundays 2017
FunKon 2021
SDCC 2017, 2018, 2022

I go by Crook

GimmeFunkoNow

Postby GimmeFunkoNow » Wed May 24, 2023 10:35 am

stl_ben wrote:
plumb102 wrote:

I had no idea of that amount. I knew they let go of the founders

PokemonMastaASH

Postby PokemonMastaASH » Wed May 24, 2023 3:06 pm

This is kinda messed up, but I remember that that staff at SDCC were not super pleasant to talk to so maybe they are just hard to work with

stl_ben

Postby stl_ben » Wed May 24, 2023 6:33 pm

PokemonMastaASH wrote:This is kinda messed up, but I remember that that staff at SDCC were not super pleasant to talk to so maybe they are just hard to work with

Incorrect. The staff were widely loved by fans of mondo which is what has made so many of us furious.
ImageImageImage

Bad Motherfunko

Postby Bad Motherfunko » Tue May 30, 2023 2:57 pm

Def a sad day.
Avatar Protos: https://i.imgur.com/iLdXwes.jpg
Collecting Funko since 2012.
Main Collections: Anything Avatar or Game of Thrones/House of the Dragon
Events Attended: Funko Hollywood Opening, Funkon '21, Fundays '22, SDCC '19/'22
Proud member of Funko Fiends (PSW) and The United Funko Family <3
Instagrams: @bad.motherfunko & @lollipop_customs

ISO Avatar the Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra Protos

PokemonMastaASH

Postby PokemonMastaASH » Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:29 pm

This is pretty sad news

Brettfes

Postby Brettfes » Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:49 am

this still sucks.

kristineisjoy

Postby kristineisjoy » Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:43 am

wonder if this is good or bad
LOVING MY FUNKOS!!!!

stl_ben

Postby stl_ben » Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:56 am

kristineisjoy wrote:wonder if this is good or bad

Bad
ImageImageImage

dobiethejold

Postby dobiethejold » Sat Nov 04, 2023 12:14 am

NOOOOOO I had the pleasure of snagging at poster at SDCC so sad for the peeps who work really hard at Mondo and sad days for the fans.

Return to “Mondo”