Mondo at Cons - they don't roll prints

Funko’s latest acquisition, Mondo is an American company known for releasing limited edition screen printed posters for films, television shows, and comics, as well as vinyl movie soundtracks, clothing and apparel, toys, and re-issues of VHS releases
hollis65

Mondo at Cons - they don't roll prints

Postby hollis65 » Fri May 03, 2024 10:42 pm

Stopped by Mondo at SDCC last year and recently C2E2 this year, and I absolutely hate that any poster you buy doesn't get rolled for you.

It just... I know this forum has talked about Mondo print quality since the acquisition, and Funko not understanding the customer base, but this stark difference in care for the prints when selling them really does speak volumes. They wanted to charge $80 for an exclusive spider man print that I then have to run to a safe place and try to roll on a con floor. Thanks but no thanks.

I don't think I'm ever buying prints from them at a Con again. Hopefully they start having some exclusive LPs for Cons? I'm lucky that I'm not into the figures as much.

Cheesemango

Re: Mondo at Cons - they don't roll prints

Postby Cheesemango » Sat May 04, 2024 10:33 pm

Sounds like an awful experience. They should at least consider making some space for customers to roll the prints up. Hopefully they make some improvements.

hollis65

Postby hollis65 » Mon May 06, 2024 10:55 pm

Cheesemango wrote:Sounds like an awful experience. They should at least consider making some space for customers to roll the prints up. Hopefully they make some improvements.

Yeah, on the one hand I can understand if folks working the con aren’t regular full time Mondo people, so they want to make sure they’re not messing up rolling posters, but at the same time it puts so much on the fans.

I’m half-tempted to set up a bootleg table and charge folks $5 to roll it for them hahahaha. I jest… maybe lol

sealordbrian

Postby sealordbrian » Tue May 07, 2024 1:47 am

Can certainly appreciate your opinion but as someone who has bought them for years from SDCC, I'll say that some posters aren't meant to be rolled (can screw up, crease the foil or the embossed areas). I think it's something that goes back in time for them (prior to Funko's acquisition) but I do know where you are coming from. Especially once you get one in hand, then it's a footrace to get outside of the main hall to properly carry it.

trzadrake

Postby trzadrake » Tue May 07, 2024 1:57 pm

sealordbrian wrote:Can certainly appreciate your opinion but as someone who has bought them for years from SDCC, I'll say that some posters aren't meant to be rolled (can screw up, crease the foil or the embossed areas). I think it's something that goes back in time for them (prior to Funko's acquisition) but I do know where you are coming from. Especially once you get one in hand, then it's a footrace to get outside of the main hall to properly carry it.

I've been buying from Mondo at SDCC for years and they have never rolled the posters. They always have them flat. I imagine it is much easier for them to keep the posters in pristine shape by shipping them and having them flat.

But as a buyer it is a bit of a hassle. Not many good solutions though. Rolling it is convenient for getting it out of a convention hall, but when you get it home it's warped and hard to get into a frame easily, in my experience.

Lexi

Postby Lexi » Tue May 07, 2024 2:02 pm

Cheesemango wrote:Sounds like an awful experience. They should at least consider making some space for customers to roll the prints up. Hopefully they make some improvements.

Wow, I did not know this. I bought a poster from Spoke Art at Wondercon and they rolled it for me before giving it to me and I appreciated it, not something I wanted to find space to do.
FUNKO FUNDAYS 2015, 2016, 2022
FDO LA 6
World Premiere Making Fun

Funko Hollywood Grand Opening
FUNKON 2021

fieldsy32

Postby fieldsy32 » Tue May 07, 2024 2:08 pm

It is why I steer clear of their posters at cons
Eric, decently tall guy.

2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023 Fundays
Funko HQ Grand Opening
2015, 2017, 2018, 2023 FDO
2022 Fright Night

kingssd3

Postby kingssd3 » Tue May 07, 2024 2:37 pm

At SDCC, it's really a warzone. I have to hold my prints up high like I'm carrying a wounded soldier through a battlefield.

theraven00

Postby theraven00 » Tue May 07, 2024 3:03 pm

I agree, I wouldn’t feel comfortable rolling it myself. I have a couple Mondo posters I’ve bought second-hand and I wouldn’t trust myself to roll them again to resell (not that I ever plan to sell them).
Poppin'

CollectorBadger

Postby CollectorBadger » Tue May 07, 2024 3:23 pm

Mondo has never rolled posters at cons, even before the acquisition. The posters show up in pallets packed flat, it would be an incredible amount of work for a small booth crew to roll every poster.
I think it would be best to be prepared and have your own tube if you plan on buying, heck, you can get a free on at the Fox booth every morning at SDCC.

Nick IG: collector.badger

movieman1981

Postby movieman1981 » Tue May 07, 2024 8:01 pm

Is there a trick to rapidly roll safely before dropping into the tube? I bought a poster and was rolling it under pressure to make room and put a slight dent in it

OG SLUMPURT

Postby OG SLUMPURT » Tue May 07, 2024 11:15 pm

Yea not rolling the prints is a hassle. We need to get the mods to read this!
OG SLUMPURT
:freddy2:

BigHow

Postby BigHow » Wed May 08, 2024 11:10 am

Prerolled prints would be a huge turn off for me. Mondo prints aren’t supposed to be treated like any other promo poster you get at a con. If I’m going to be rolling mine up temporarily for transport to the hotel room, I’d rather handle that process personally than having a random con booth staffer do it in a hurry while they’re staring at a line of 50 more people.

Plus, lots of collectors go out of their way to bring portfolios or foamcore “sandwiches” to protect their prints as soon as they purchase them.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Teen Wolf!

http://www.fixitinpost.org - Infrequent Pop Culture Thoughts

Looking for any of the following Pop Protos: Teen Wolf 1985, Astronaut Snoopy, Halloween/Pilot Snoopy, Woodstock, Wicket, Skeletor, Target Bullseye, Sugar Bear, Shinsuke Nakamura, and Topanga (from Boy Meets World)!

Fugly16

Postby Fugly16 » Wed May 08, 2024 12:57 pm

It's been awhile but I think BNG is the same at NYCC, but at least they gave me craft paper with my print.

Horror story from a concert I went to awhile ago where the person working the merch booth did roll it for me but did it in the most inelegant way possible causing all sorts of crinkles and creases. Most recent concert I went to last week, they let me roll it right at the merch table and let me take my time. That's the best.

jcrook

Postby jcrook » Wed May 08, 2024 1:01 pm

BigHow wrote:Plus, lots of collectors go out of their way to bring portfolios or foamcore “sandwiches” to protect their prints as soon as they purchase them.

I think that is something I should do, I am always worried about it getting damaged between the con and the hotel room
Funko Fundays 2017
FunKon 2021
SDCC 2017, 2018, 2022

I go by Crook

BearyAllen

Postby BearyAllen » Wed May 08, 2024 1:26 pm

Same as many have said, I don't recall Mondo ever rolling their prints, just leaving it up to the buyer. But i do agree it is tough escaping the exhibit hall like that!

EchoX

Postby EchoX » Wed May 08, 2024 11:07 pm

I've never noticed them rolling posters ever. I try to dedicate one day to buying art/prints and take my own tube with me, and a 13x19 portfolio for smaller artwork

Funko_Fanatic

Postby Funko_Fanatic » Mon May 13, 2024 11:57 am

They have never been rolled. I can see the frustration, but at the same time, imagine all the people upset that their poster is creased when they're folding it for us.
Pop count - 369
Dorbz count - 51
Favorite - Gemini Captain America
ISO - Metallic Deadpool, Freddy Deadpool
http://www.instagram.com/funko_fanatic

scullysdad

Postby scullysdad » Mon May 13, 2024 12:01 pm

They will roll them if you ask. I asked the employee to roll a Planet of the Apes print a few years back so I could just put it in the tube right away, and she did it without a problem.
Please Funko make Taylor Swift Pops!

Most wanted non-Taylor Pops: Carson Teva, Naru from Prey, The Last of Us TV show

kingssd3

Postby kingssd3 » Mon May 13, 2024 2:21 pm

Hmm I'll try asking them at SDCC this year. Maybe they don't want to liable if the poster gets bent

FunkoMeansFun

Postby FunkoMeansFun » Tue May 21, 2024 8:33 pm

To be fair to.Funko Mondo never rolled their posters at SDCC.

I found the best thing to do was to buy a few of those big black plastic poster tubes that you could fit a few posters in and roll them in safely yourself at/near the booth . They are very safe to carry and eventually ship after the con.

:freddy1: :freddy3: :freddy4:
:freddy3: Image

ImageImage

haw1577

Postby haw1577 » Tue May 21, 2024 8:39 pm

They never do; they don't want to be liable for creases.

biedermann15

Postby biedermann15 » Thu May 23, 2024 10:04 pm

Agreed. It is really difficult roll them and pick them in good condition with the amount of people at the con. I need to find a better way because the Mondo posters are amazing.

biedermann15

Postby biedermann15 » Thu May 23, 2024 10:04 pm

haw1577 wrote:They never do; they don't want to be liable for creases.

I always crease mine lol :drunken:

biedermann15

Postby biedermann15 » Thu May 23, 2024 10:05 pm

hollis65 wrote:

Yeah, on the one hand I can understand if folks working the con aren’t regular full time Mondo people, so they want to make sure they’re not messing up rolling posters, but at the same time it puts so much on the fans.

I’m half-tempted to set up a bootleg table and charge folks $5 to roll it for them hahahaha. I jest… maybe lol

I would be a customer!

X23

Postby X23 » Fri May 24, 2024 12:34 am

I think it’s a missed opportunity. I think a lot of us would buy holders if they would roll them for you.

Bullseye112

Postby Bullseye112 » Fri May 24, 2024 3:14 am

I do agree that it be nice for them to roll it for you or provide something to transport it with (I’d pay extra of course).

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Fri May 24, 2024 7:08 pm

X23 wrote:I think it’s a missed opportunity. I think a lot of us would buy holders if they would roll them for you.

This is true but I always bring a tube to cons if I think there may be a print or poster I want
ImageImageImage

Some people call me the orange hoodie

ISO funko Force creature from black lagoon chase Glow in the dark

XSRK

Postby XSRK » Fri May 24, 2024 9:17 pm

hpellot wrote:
X23 wrote:I think it’s a missed opportunity. I think a lot of us would buy holders if they would roll them for you.

This is true but I always bring a tube to cons if I think there may be a print or poster I want

Smart I think I spent $150 at the booth that sell tubes and hard poster holders.

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Sat May 25, 2024 1:07 pm

XSRK wrote:
hpellot wrote:

Smart I think I spent $150 at the booth that sell tubes and hard poster holders.

Bottleneck tends to sell a nice poster tube that fits a lot of them

I usually use that if I am local to my area
ImageImageImage

Some people call me the orange hoodie

ISO funko Force creature from black lagoon chase Glow in the dark

hollis65

Postby hollis65 » Sun May 26, 2024 8:33 pm

Thanks for folks thoughts- my first time to SDCC was last year so didn’t know Mondo never rolled.

That said, grey matter and bottleneck always offered when they were at NYCC… I’ve rolled foil prints before too (talk about nerve wracking) because there’s no way I could ship it flat or take it on a plane flat.

grumpysf23

Postby grumpysf23 » Sun May 26, 2024 9:54 pm

CollectorBadger wrote:Mondo has never rolled posters at cons, even before the acquisition. The posters show up in pallets packed flat, it would be an incredible amount of work for a small booth crew to roll every poster.
I think it would be best to be prepared and have your own tube if you plan on buying, heck, you can get a free on at the Fox booth every morning at SDCC.

Second this, Mondo has never rolled my posters for the many times I've bought a print.

Greek187

Postby Greek187 » Sun May 26, 2024 10:20 pm

Never got into prints but might try some
Funko POP collector since 2015
Wife and Husband hobby for both of us
Couples funatics!
EVENTS going to SDCC 2024 - DISNEY D23 2024
Sdcc 2023 :freddy3: Image
WENT TO -.Hollywood grand opening ,Wondercon 23 , FUNKON 1 2021 opening day,,

Squird
Hall of Fame Class of 2012
Hall of Fame Class of 2012

Postby Squird » Sun May 26, 2024 11:10 pm

Didn't know they didn't roll them. But I've never been near their booth when a poster dropped to get one.

Good to know for this year....even though I don't think I'll be in the right place at the right time.
Funklub: 11181

xalarmxclockx

Postby xalarmxclockx » Mon May 27, 2024 1:18 pm

Echoing what others have said, they have never rolled them. It definitely makes me nervous walking around until I can find a spot to stop and roll. I bring my poster tube with me so I'm ready to safely pack it away when I have a moment to do so.
ImageImage

imbatgirlpop

Postby imbatgirlpop » Mon May 27, 2024 11:11 pm

hollis65 wrote:Stopped by Mondo at SDCC last year and recently C2E2 this year, and I absolutely hate that any poster you buy doesn't get rolled for you.

It just... I know this forum has talked about Mondo print quality since the acquisition, and Funko not understanding the customer base, but this stark difference in care for the prints when selling them really does speak volumes. They wanted to charge $80 for an exclusive spider man print that I then have to run to a safe place and try to roll on a con floor. Thanks but no thanks.

I don't think I'm ever buying prints from them at a Con again. Hopefully they start having some exclusive LPs for Cons? I'm lucky that I'm not into the figures as much.

I asked about that, they should have them rolled in a special poster holder for those prices.

FrannyFunatic

Postby FrannyFunatic » Tue May 28, 2024 1:16 am

hollis65 wrote:Stopped by Mondo at SDCC last year and recently C2E2 this year, and I absolutely hate that any poster you buy doesn't get rolled for you.

im thinking becuase they dont want to be held accountable if any creases happen during rollin

Return to “Mondo”