Have you ever....

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
Katers

Re: Have you ever....

Postby Katers » Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:22 am

Rcmal1 wrote:
Katers wrote:
evrythngzen wrote:I have gifted them, not so much because I wanted that person to start collecting, but more because I know it's their favorite character. Like my best friend would never collect, it's not her thing and she hates "clutter" but she loves the Maleficent pops I have given her. LOL

My BFF is the same - she doesn't want to start collecting, but she's always very glad when I gift her a Captain Carter Funko item - pops, sodas and minis so far! \:D/

That is a good way to go about it!

I figure one or two a year is the way to slowly ease her over to the dark side! Or would that be the pop side? lol
Image ImageImage Image

x56735x

Postby x56735x » Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:15 am

For sure have gifted some Funko POPS back in the day to get them really into the game like I am. Gave some Cowboy Bebop... some signed Stan Lee OG Avengers and even some wobblers. They still collect, but very far, few, and inbetween. Was able to convert some convention buddies to get into the Funko Family after they were invited to Fundays. That will convert anyone...lol
ImageImage

Ginzo1622

Postby Ginzo1622 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:47 am

Katers wrote:
Rcmal1 wrote:
Katers wrote:
My BFF is the same - she doesn't want to start collecting, but she's always very glad when I gift her a Captain Carter Funko item - pops, sodas and minis so far! \:D/

I figure one or two a year is the way to slowly ease her over to the dark side! Or would that be the pop side? lol

Slowly but surely lol
Fundays 2022 - Proto Robots
Fright Night 2022
Fundays 2023 - Protomoa Wolves

Don't stand in my way!!!

:whdat:

Katers

Postby Katers » Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:45 am

Ginzo1622 wrote:
Katers wrote:
Rcmal1 wrote:

Slowly but surely lol

Can't move too fast, or you spook the skittish! lol
Image ImageImage Image

XSRK

Postby XSRK » Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:47 am

I’ve given POPs as presents many times to ppl who don’t collect. Great thing about it is there’s pretty much POPs for everybody. We all connect to something in pop culture. For me it’s always put a smile on the face of the receiver. Reminds them of something special brings them back to being a kid.

Rcmal1

Postby Rcmal1 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:58 am

Katers wrote:
Ginzo1622 wrote:
Katers wrote:

Slowly but surely lol

This made me chuckle at the start of my work day. Thanks for that.

Rcmal1

Postby Rcmal1 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:59 am

XSRK wrote:I’ve given POPs as presents many times to ppl who don’t collect. Great thing about it is there’s pretty much POPs for everybody. We all connect to something in pop culture. For me it’s always put a smile on the face of the receiver. Reminds them of something special brings them back to being a kid.

Agreed, they are also a nice thing for people to add to their office.

Katers

Postby Katers » Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:55 am

Rcmal1 wrote:
Katers wrote:
Ginzo1622 wrote:
Slowly but surely lol

This made me chuckle at the start of my work day. Thanks for that.

My pleasure!

I've been pretty entertained hearing how everyone has given pop presents, and how well (or not!) it's worked to spread the joy of Funko. Makes me feel better about my gifting habits! lol
Image ImageImage Image

Universal_ghost

Postby Universal_ghost » Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:36 pm

I've gifted a few people. My gf did get into collecting after I got her some and I have a co-worker who follows me on insta and sees I collect them and now he is finding one's he likes lol I might get him one as a gift and see if he starts collecting lol

DougieFresh_83

Postby DougieFresh_83 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:09 pm

I gifted a few Star Wars POPs to my brother for Christmas one year.

Not because I wanted him to get into collecting, I just didn't know what I wanted to get him, and I was short on time haha.

MarkyMark

Postby MarkyMark » Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:19 am

I gifted my cousin many horror pops but still hasn't bought any on his own.
ImageImageImageImage

Rcmal1

Postby Rcmal1 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:55 am

DougieFresh_83 wrote:I gifted a few Star Wars POPs to my brother for Christmas one year.

Not because I wanted him to get into collecting, I just didn't know what I wanted to get him, and I was short on time haha.

They are a great last minute gift idea.

Nihil

Postby Nihil » Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:29 am

Rcmal1 wrote:
DougieFresh_83 wrote:I gifted a few Star Wars POPs to my brother for Christmas one year.

They are a great last minute gift idea.

Hmm, might be a good idea for getting rid of some of the duplicates I have that don't sell well.
Funatic from Philadelphia. Nicolas Cage Super Fan.

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:21 am

MarkyMark wrote:I gifted my cousin many horror pops but still hasn't bought any on his own.

Great line to start with!

Serch_na

Postby Serch_na » Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:15 am

My girlfriend was resilient to collecting and still is, but I already managed to give her her first Pop, the legally blond one with the cup, everyone have their weakness
NYCC 2022
Deadpool - Photography - Mexican

Brutesquad

Postby Brutesquad » Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:57 pm

I have gifted POPs, sodas, and even Dorbz to non collectors, but not with the intention of converting them...although they did eventually come around hehe ;-)

Rcmal1

Postby Rcmal1 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:30 am

Brutesquad wrote:I have gifted POPs, sodas, and even Dorbz to non collectors, but not with the intention of converting them...although they did eventually come around hehe ;-)

It is fun to share your passion with others, glad they came around!

Rcmal1

Postby Rcmal1 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:31 am

Serch_na wrote:My girlfriend was resilient to collecting and still is, but I already managed to give her her first Pop, the legally blond one with the cup, everyone have their weakness

Even for the non collectors I think they are a great conversation starter at work by having one or two on your desk.

Serch_na

Postby Serch_na » Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:06 am

Rcmal1 wrote:
Serch_na wrote:My girlfriend was resilient to collecting and still is, but I already managed to give her her first Pop, the legally blond one with the cup, everyone have their weakness

Even for the non collectors I think they are a great conversation starter at work by having one or two on your desk.

Every office have at least one pop and i love that
NYCC 2022

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:50 am

Rcmal1 wrote:

Got a dozen LOL!

Serch_na

Postby Serch_na » Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:23 pm

rexflexall wrote:
Rcmal1 wrote:

Got a dozen LOL!

Got a few also :cheers:

NYCC 2022

Ronnie18

Postby Ronnie18 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:15 pm

I started getting into pops years ago and my family would buy Funko pops for me as gifts. I then tried to get them interested into collecting by getting them pops I thought they would like. No luck.

Rcmal1

Postby Rcmal1 » Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:25 am

Serch_na wrote:
rexflexall wrote:
Rcmal1 wrote:

Got a dozen LOL!

Great set up, I like the combination of ones out of the box and ones still in the box. I only have one on my work desk at the office at this time (the Freddy in SDCC gear given out at Hall H last year) but my home office is another story.

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:04 am

Serch_na wrote:
rexflexall wrote:
Rcmal1 wrote:

Got a dozen LOL!

Nice setup!!

Serch_na

Postby Serch_na » Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:34 pm

Rcmal1 wrote:
Serch_na wrote:
rexflexall wrote:
Got a dozen LOL!

Great set up, I like the combination of ones out of the box and ones still in the box. I only have one on my work desk at the office at this time (the Freddy in SDCC gear given out at Hall H last year) but my home office is another story.

Thanks, the lady who helps us cleaning hate the ones OOB because she cleans each one
NYCC 2022

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:07 pm

Serch_na wrote:
Rcmal1 wrote:
Serch_na wrote:

Thanks, the lady who helps us cleaning hate the ones OOB because she cleans each one

OOB pops collect dust like magnets!

Rcmal1

Postby Rcmal1 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:30 am

rexflexall wrote:
Serch_na wrote:
Rcmal1 wrote:

Oh god, this just gave me anxiety to look at how dusty the ones must be in my office at home...

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:38 am

Rcmal1 wrote:
rexflexall wrote:
Serch_na wrote:

Oh god, this just gave me anxiety to look at how dusty the ones must be in my office at home...

They can get pretty dusty, especially for me here in Las Vegas since I live in the desert!

DougieFresh_83

Postby DougieFresh_83 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:04 pm

rexflexall wrote:
Rcmal1 wrote:
rexflexall wrote:

They can get pretty dusty, especially for me here in Las Vegas since I live in the desert!

I can't imagine dealing with that much dust. I struggle with enough dust as is! lol

El_PANDA

Postby El_PANDA » Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:09 pm

I gave a Tanjiro pop to my sister in law and now she wants all the demon slayer ones
ImageImageImageImage

El_PANDA

Postby El_PANDA » Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:09 pm

Ronnie18 wrote:I started getting into pops years ago and my family would buy Funko pops for me as gifts. I then tried to get them interested into collecting by getting them pops I thought they would like. No luck.

Can be an expensive hobby and maybe there’s a challenge in actually tracking down the funko

mouth662

Postby mouth662 » Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:32 pm

I've given a few away as presents because I know they like the character not really trying to get them to start collecting, but a few have as a result of gifts. I also really began my collection because of a gift my gf (now wife) gave me years ago, she bought me a groot and seymour from little shop of horrors the rest is a pain in my bank account

rontonsoup

Postby rontonsoup » Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:52 pm

I’ve gifted pops to my family and some friends.
Collecting since 2014: "A couple that collects together, stays together."

Rcmal1

Postby Rcmal1 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:24 am

rontonsoup wrote:I’ve gifted pops to my family and some friends.

Any turn into collectors?

rontonsoup

Postby rontonsoup » Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:16 pm

Rcmal1 wrote:
rontonsoup wrote:I’ve gifted pops to my family and some friends.

Any turn into collectors?

My sister turned into a hoarder if that counts haha everyone else collects very little. My sister was the only one that started becoming a collector. Oh yeah, and my wife’s sister and fiancé.
Collecting since 2014: "A couple that collects together, stays together."

spider-man_616

Postby spider-man_616 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:52 pm

Rcmal1 wrote:I was curious if anyone here has ever given someone a Pop! in hopes they would start collecting. I have definitely gifted a fair share of them but I don't think I have converted any into Funatics up to this point.

i didn't gift a pop to someone but i've definitely got two of my friends into the funko craze by showing them pops of franchises they loved

heymrosario
SCCA 2023
SCCA 2023

Postby heymrosario » Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:33 pm

Rcmal1 wrote:I was curious if anyone here has ever given someone a Pop! in hopes they would start collecting. I have definitely gifted a fair share of them but I don't think I have converted any into Funatics up to this point.

I am very proud (I laugh as I say this) to influence my best friends to start collecting Pops! At first, I gave them a pop and a pop shirt as gifts and giggles, but they loved it, and now, they *hate* (not really) for it lol

Hey there, I'm Marc! (•◡•)
Collector since '14 • Photographer • Designer
Follow me on Instagram: @heymrosario

o2thedbld5

Postby o2thedbld5 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:37 pm

It sometimes is hard to convert someone into collecting as much as I do because of the monetary and time commitments. However, I'd say I have given Funko products to a couple friends who have now started to collect at least a few they like. I would remind them that Funko will always have something for anything you're a fan of. When they find that, it feels rewarding to me that I have helped them appreciate what Funko does for its community.
This be Aud, o2thedbld, odd!
Fav pop: Thumper :bunny:
ISO: The Jesus from The Big Lebowski, Audrey Hepburn Wacky Wobbler, Mars Attacks Martian

ImageImageImage

Rcmal1

Postby Rcmal1 » Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:53 am

heymrosario wrote:

I am very proud (I laugh as I say this) to influence my best friends to start collecting Pops! At first, I gave them a pop and a pop shirt as gifts and giggles, but they loved it, and now, they *hate* (not really) for it lol

It is always fun to bring more friends along to a Con. Everyone can always use a friend in line.

Rcmal1

Postby Rcmal1 » Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:38 pm

spider-man_616 wrote:

i didn't gift a pop to someone but i've definitely got two of my friends into the funko craze by showing them pops of franchises they loved

When their birthdays roll around its a perfect small little gift to get them.

Return to “Pop!”