Are Chases worth the Chase ?

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
WinterBz

Re: Are Chases worth the Chase ?

Postby WinterBz » Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:44 pm

islander671 wrote:
Z_PopCollector wrote:Overtime I’ve noticed chases aren’t much different than the actual common/reg variant! Feel as if they gotten lazy with the chases lately! For example: Speed RacerChase, Samurai Jack Chase, and Luck from Black Clover Chase are all different molds other than just having eyes shut or open as the difference! Don’t get me wrong I still like going on a hunt but the lack of detail in the difference of the chases have had me feeling swindled 8-[

I used to love going to places to hunt for Chases in the wild, however my desire to continue stopped not because of the lack of details or differences, it was due to more of the fact that Employees of said local stores were hoarding them on release day. Knowing that fact killed my desire to hunt for them, so now I dont bother looking and have turned to Soda Chases as they are a bit harder for people to know which is which.

I collect because like the IP, and I must get the chase and common. Lately, I noticed how lazy the chases have been and it’s not very motivating for me to go out of my ways to get chases. On top of this, chases values aren’t what they used to be anymore.

Mrswestcoastfunko

Postby Mrswestcoastfunko » Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:25 pm

runtodere wrote:
Mrswestcoastfunko wrote:True... I remember getting up at 5 am to chase the chase and it was fun but honestly not anymore.. maybe I'm just getting old lol id rather sleep... plus certain people kill it and can't forget employees either...

'Mature' I prefer to think of it

Lol mature like fine wine aha
ImageImage

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:30 am

I'm too old to hunt for those chases now, and probably too slow! The last chase I found in the wild was that yucky Valerian one.....and it was late afternoon, and there were TWO of them! When I left...those two were still there LOL!

Fredo66

Postby Fredo66 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:44 pm

Only if you want both molds. But if you are in it for the money then NO!
ImageImageImage Image
Fredo IG: @the4thcurator

Trendkill24hr

Postby Trendkill24hr » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:16 pm

Davunko wrote:For as many times I’ve gone to a store to check for pops, I have never seen a chase in the wild :-/

After so many times it will eventually happen, it took a few years before I came across one. It’s pretty much being at the right place at the right time
"Being a geek means never having to play it cool about how much you like something" Simon Pegg

Call me C.J. :)
Events: Fundays 2022 & 2023, Fright Night 2022, FDO9
Collection: 372 pieces as of 03/25/24
ISO Proto: Paka Paka Dragon

DrunkoPop

Postby DrunkoPop » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:56 pm

Trendkill24hr wrote:
Davunko wrote:For as many times I’ve gone to a store to check for pops, I have never seen a chase in the wild :-/

After so many times it will eventually happen, it took a few years before I came across one. It’s pretty much being at the right place at the right time

Exactly! When you least expect it, the chase will pop up. I’ve found 3 in 1 calendar year. :bounce:
Image Image
ImageImage

RedRoo

Postby RedRoo » Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:41 am

Back in the day when there were 1/36 chases it was a real hunt, But those days also had people ripping off pops off of the shelfs and damaging displays trying to find some and even have fights and pop karrens complain. So i miss them but i also dont miss them.

With the higher pop chases i dont mind a small hunt but im not majorly phased by it. I do feel sorry for collectors who need the Funko Exclusives ones tho because they can be a real hit and miss.
~Guy
TEAM BACON!
"With blood and rage of crimson red,

Ripped from a corpse so freshly dead,

Together with our hellish hate,

We'll burn you all--that is your fate!"

ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

runtodere

Postby runtodere » Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:34 am

Mrswestcoastfunko wrote:
runtodere wrote:
Mrswestcoastfunko wrote:True... I remember getting up at 5 am to chase the chase and it was fun but honestly not anymore.. maybe I'm just getting old lol id rather sleep... plus certain people kill it and can't forget employees either...

'Mature' I prefer to think of it

Lol mature like fine wine aha

Exactly.

Trendkill24hr

Postby Trendkill24hr » Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:54 pm

RedRoo wrote:Back in the day when there were 1/36 chases it was a real hunt, But those days also had people ripping off pops off of the shelfs and damaging displays trying to find some and even have fights and pop karrens complain. So i miss them but i also dont miss them.

With the higher pop chases i dont mind a small hunt but im not majorly phased by it. I do feel sorry for collectors who need the Funko Exclusives ones tho because they can be a real hit and miss.

It was about a miracle to even come across a 1/36
"Being a geek means never having to play it cool about how much you like something" Simon Pegg

Call me C.J. :)
Events: Fundays 2022 & 2023, Fright Night 2022, FDO9
Collection: 372 pieces as of 03/25/24
ISO Proto: Paka Paka Dragon

Brianbiz

Postby Brianbiz » Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:27 pm

Z_PopCollector wrote:Overtime I’ve noticed chases aren’t much different than the actual common/reg variant! Feel as if they gotten lazy with the chases lately! For example: Speed RacerChase, Samurai Jack Chase, and Luck from Black Clover Chase are all different molds other than just having eyes shut or open as the difference! Don’t get me wrong I still like going on a hunt but the lack of detail in the difference of the chases have had me feeling swindled 8-[

It depends on the soda for me if I really like the common I will buy it even if the chase is lazy or not but if I’m not crazy about the common or chase I won’t go for it. But funko has definitely made some crazy soda chases like Ben 10 chase, vision chase, and Vampire Freddy chase.

NightStyle

Postby NightStyle » Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:58 pm

They have been getting lazy on the difference in mold. I collect Naruto and the new chases haven't been too exciting (gitd, holding an item, etc) noting great unfortunately to still complete my set I end up getting it

Force951

Postby Force951 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:56 am

Very rare that there is a chase i value over the normal pop. Also with the ratio on the chase pops its not worth hunting for them anymore imo.

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:26 am

Force951 wrote:Very rare that there is a chase i value over the normal pop. Also with the ratio on the chase pops its not worth hunting for them anymore imo.

Hardly worth the value over regular pops for these newer chases now. I wish it would go back to 1 in 36 for chases instead of 1 in 6 now!

DrunkoPop

Postby DrunkoPop » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:20 pm

rexflexall wrote:
Force951 wrote:Very rare that there is a chase i value over the normal pop. Also with the ratio on the chase pops its not worth hunting for them anymore imo.

Hardly worth the value over regular pops for these newer chases now. I wish it would go back to 1 in 36 for chases instead of 1 in 6 now!

That would never happen but I do agree value wise.
Image Image
ImageImage

Hopesdenial

Postby Hopesdenial » Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:25 pm

Chases are cool and if I really want them I'll typically buy the bundles from Mighty Hobby or somewhere (though a little scary now with all these shops closing down). My favorite chases are the dragons from Paka Pakas though.

c00kiem0nster

Postby c00kiem0nster » Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:35 pm

I always used to go for the Chase variations at my local stores, but over time my area has become infested with resellers camping out every single Target, Hot Topic, Walmart, etc. at opening every single day. They buy all chases and store exclusives and leaves no chance of anyone getting them. So, I've resorted to buying online only, but I will not pay extra for chase bundles or buying 6 of one pop to get a chance of getting one.

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:19 pm

c00kiem0nster wrote:I always used to go for the Chase variations at my local stores, but over time my area has become infested with resellers camping out every single Target, Hot Topic, Walmart, etc. at opening every single day. They buy all chases and store exclusives and leaves no chance of anyone getting them. So, I've resorted to buying online only, but I will not pay extra for chase bundles or buying 6 of one pop to get a chance of getting one.

I haven't bothered with a Hot Topic line since before Covid LOL!

DougieFresh_83

Postby DougieFresh_83 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:29 pm

Chases are still SUPER exciting for me. Whether I get a random chase from an online order, or even seeing one at Target, it gets my heart pumping. But over the years, I've felt that the hunt really isn't worth it. The chase will find its way to me one way or another.

My strategy these days with POP chases is to just order one or two of the POP that I want, and if it's a chase, cool! If not, no biggie! I've had a lot more fun with chases with this mentality. #OneAndDone

rontonsoup

Postby rontonsoup » Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:27 am

SpaceDude wrote:
CrushMcLovin wrote:Only if it’s something you collect otherwise better off not wasting your time hunting when you can pay 2-3 times the common cost for the chase

I am with you on this one! Only if it is something you really want!!

I enjoy finding chases, but it’s hard to leave them. I buy the ones I like.
Collecting since 2014: "A couple that collects together, stays together."

Serch_na

Postby Serch_na » Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:16 pm

It was fun in the past to hunt chases, but now the employes just hide them, and if you add that most of the chases doesnt worth the hunt isnt fun anymore.
NYCC 2022
Deadpool - Photography - Mexican

runtodere

Postby runtodere » Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:37 pm

Serch_na wrote:It was fun in the past to hunt chases, but now the employes just hide them, and if you add that most of the chases doesnt worth the hunt isnt fun anymore.

I'm actually thinking of taking a job as an employee at one of these shops just to see what happens.

Serch_na

Postby Serch_na » Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:31 pm

runtodere wrote:
Serch_na wrote:It was fun in the past to hunt chases, but now the employes just hide them, and if you add that most of the chases doesnt worth the hunt isnt fun anymore.

I'm actually thinking of taking a job as an employee at one of these shops just to see what happens.

The POWEEEEEER :-({|=
NYCC 2022
Deadpool - Photography - Mexican

LoneWolf72

Postby LoneWolf72 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:49 pm

To me, chases are nice because they're another variety of your favorite pops. But the best part is in the name itself, the thrill of the chase to find them. It's part of the fun of collecting.
I'm Chad AKA Mr. StarWarner.
Image Image
Collecting since 2013
Fundays: 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
Virtual Con (2020), and Funkon (2021)
Funko Panel, Bingo Night (SDCC)
Funko Panel, Hall H (SDCC)
Fright Night San Diego
Funko HQ Grand Opening
FDO: Los Angeles (×2), Sacramento, and Baltimore (×2)

fbingha

Postby fbingha » Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:53 pm

No...

runtodere

Postby runtodere » Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:43 pm

Serch_na wrote:
runtodere wrote:

The POWEEEEEER :-({|=

I can't wait!

XSRK

Postby XSRK » Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:47 am

My local comic book store starting charging more for chases and I think that turned me off. Plus GameStop hunting lost its appeal over time. I only buy what I love now and it’s a lot less stressful plus easier on the pocket hahahaha

Ginzo1622

Postby Ginzo1622 » Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:54 am

XSRK wrote:My local comic book store starting charging more for chases and I think that turned me off. Plus GameStop hunting lost its appeal over time. I only buy what I love now and it’s a lot less stressful plus easier on the pocket hahahaha

I think because if there is chase with certain pop, the common is being ignored most of the time.
Fundays 2022 - Proto Robots
Fright Night 2022
Fundays 2023 - Protomoa Wolves

Don't stand in my way!!!

:whdat:

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:53 am

XSRK wrote:My local comic book store starting charging more for chases and I think that turned me off. Plus GameStop hunting lost its appeal over time. I only buy what I love now and it’s a lot less stressful plus easier on the pocket hahahaha

Gamestop was always a crapshoot for me!

El_PANDA

Postby El_PANDA » Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:35 pm

I feel like back in the day a chase was truly unique now not so much
ImageImageImageImage

El_PANDA

Postby El_PANDA » Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:36 pm

LoneWolf72 wrote:To me, chases are nice because they're another variety of your favorite pops. But the best part is in the name itself, the thrill of the chase to find them. It's part of the fun of collecting.

Yeah it is a great feeling finding them in the wild but so rare for me

Meowmix4

Postby Meowmix4 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:15 pm

At this point I usually just order one. If I don't get the chase I move on. If I do get the chase I'll go for another because I like having both versions

Ruen97

Postby Ruen97 » Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:04 am

Times have changed sadly
Mr. Freeze and Pop Collector
Collector: Since 2012
Full Sets: BVS/BTAS/Gotham/Impopsters/Carebears
Located: SCLA
:dkjoker1:

Ruen97

Postby Ruen97 » Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:04 am

Times have changed sadly
Mr. Freeze and Pop Collector
Collector: Since 2012
Full Sets: BVS/BTAS/Gotham/Impopsters/Carebears
Located: SCLA
:dkjoker1:

MarkyMark

Postby MarkyMark » Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:34 pm

Have never found a Chase in the wild. But I've tried many times. I just stopped not worth looking.
ImageImageImageImage

scullysdad

Postby scullysdad » Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:50 pm

MarkyMark wrote:Have never found a Chase in the wild. But I've tried many times. I just stopped not worth looking.

I have never found a chase when I have gone out to look for one, it’s always been a random surprise to walk in to Walmart or something and just see one. You’ll find one eventually.
Please Funko make Taylor Swift Pops!

Most wanted non-Taylor Pops: Carson Teva, Naru from Prey, The Last of Us TV show

lcarus83

Postby lcarus83 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:28 am

Chases were fun back in 2014/2015. I found a metallic OG Batman at B&N. I found Vampire Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer twice. I missed out on metallic OG Joker at FYE by like 20 seconds. Right when I walked in some lady pulled it off the shelf and took it to the register. Nobody else in the store. Ugh that one still makes me sick.

I always really wanted the Michael Myers and Jason Voorhees glow Chases but never found them.
Holy Grails: Riddler, Penguin, Two-Face, Hawkman, Martian Manhunter, Logan

Ginzo1622

Postby Ginzo1622 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:52 am

lcarus83 wrote:Chases were fun back in 2014/2015. I found a metallic OG Batman at B&N. I found Vampire Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer twice. I missed out on metallic OG Joker at FYE by like 20 seconds. Right when I walked in some lady pulled it off the shelf and took it to the register. Nobody else in the store. Ugh that one still makes me sick.

I always really wanted the Michael Myers and Jason Voorhees glow Chases but never found them.

Atleast you got lucky with some chases I rarely see any chase in my area
Fundays 2022 - Proto Robots
Fright Night 2022
Fundays 2023 - Protomoa Wolves

Don't stand in my way!!!

:whdat:

Marvel_Mama

Postby Marvel_Mama » Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:33 pm

when the molds arent different it is disappointing. Very hard to even hunt them anymore. I usually have to trade to get the ones i really want instead of finding in the wild. those were the good ol days.
Last edited by Marvel_Mama on Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diedre Loves her Funko Family
marvel_mama444 on insta - formerly Divade23 Marvel_Mama

Rick_Morty46

Postby Rick_Morty46 » Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:42 pm

islander671 wrote:

I used to love going to places to hunt for Chases in the wild, however my desire to continue stopped not because of the lack of details or differences, it was due to more of the fact that Employees of said local stores were hoarding them on release day. Knowing that fact killed my desire to hunt for them, so now I dont bother looking and have turned to Soda Chases as they are a bit harder for people to know which is which.

Even if you weigh the soda pops, a lot of them are the same weight as the commons. Especially when its just a difference in the paint job.

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:43 pm

divade23 wrote:when the molds are different it is disappointing. Very hard to even hunt them anymore. I usually have to trade to get the ones i really want instead of finding in the wild. those were the good ol days.

I rather a different mold so that it has more variety. Finding a chase in the wild is dead now a days is dead in california.
ImageImageImage

Some people call me the orange hoodie

ISO funko Force creature from black lagoon chase Glow in the dark

Return to “Pop!”