Please Note: New User Registrations and username/email address changes will be on hold from May 29th, 2024 through June 3rd, 2024

False Prototypes

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
Trujitsu Ninja

Re: False Prototypes

Postby Trujitsu Ninja » Sat May 18, 2024 7:27 am

SnackDaddy wrote:Rule of thumb

Follow the paper trail, ask for proof. Anyone with a real proto would be more than happy to show you proof. If you have questions about a certain seller, don't be afraid to ask someone who has been around for their opinion.

This I feel is the best advice for establishing real protos. They should have pictures of when and where they got it from.
:smt027 Trujitsu Ninja
Current collection count 540 updated 06/08/22
Interest pops Anime MHA and Naruto. Movie pops Pennywise, Killer Clowns and Warriors.

diabolix

Postby diabolix » Sat May 18, 2024 8:52 am

Funko_Fanatic wrote:
diabolix wrote:
TonyFunkoFreakHead wrote:Curious what peoples take is on Smeyer World and their protos...I know they are a "big" story but we seen other stores go under for being shady....I don't get how they can offer 10+ at check out for one proto lol or just how they have that many...whoa plugging them up???

Smeye World is very well-known in the proto community. They keep an archive of protos that they have sold, and typically providing proof you got the proto from Smeye World is good enough when a proto collector requests lineage. The 10+ thing is just the way their website is set up, if you try to add more than 1 to your cart, it'll say there's not enough quantity available. As others have said in this post, there's typically 2-4 white molds and 4-6 colour molds for a given figure.

That’s really good information to know. I’ve always thought Smeye World was shady because the amount of protos they were advertising, but I guess I was wrong.

I think they just have really good connections! Fugitive toys also gets an insane amount of protos, but they don't advertise it on their site. Instead, they host a WhatNot stream and sell it that way

CAHLEB

Postby CAHLEB » Sat May 18, 2024 10:51 am

diabolix wrote:
TonyFunkoFreakHead wrote:Curious what peoples take is on Smeyer World and their protos...I know they are a "big" story but we seen other stores go under for being shady....I don't get how they can offer 10+ at check out for one proto lol or just how they have that many...whoa plugging them up???

Smeye World is very well-known in the proto community. They keep an archive of protos that they have sold, and typically providing proof you got the proto from Smeye World is good enough when a proto collector requests lineage. The 10+ thing is just the way their website is set up, if you try to add more than 1 to your cart, it'll say there's not enough quantity available. As others have said in this post, there's typically 2-4 white molds and 4-6 colour molds for a given figure.

I saw they are selling Freddy as Love Combrat but hadn’t heard of them. Good to know they’re legit and they sell protos! I’ll have to keep an eye out.

zonkttc

Postby zonkttc » Sat May 18, 2024 11:36 am

CAHLEB wrote:
diabolix wrote:

I saw they are selling Freddy as Love Combrat but hadn’t heard of them. Good to know they’re legit and they sell protos! I’ll have to keep an eye out.

Sounds like you did your research which is the best move to ensure whatcha buying is legitimate

Funkorot

Postby Funkorot » Sat May 18, 2024 11:39 am

Ellis wrote:
SnackDaddy wrote:Rule of thumb

Follow the paper trail, ask for proof. Anyone with a real proto would be more than happy to show you proof. If you have questions about a certain seller, don't be afraid to ask someone who has been around for their opinion.

Well said. This has been something I've thought about recently as well.. But if you follow the paper trail and ask for proof, any legitimate source should be happy to comply. SnackDaddy rule of thumb on point

#-o

Funkorot

Postby Funkorot » Sat May 18, 2024 11:39 am

FunkoPhoenix wrote:
Kal-El-051 wrote:
SnackDaddy wrote:
That is a tough one, some people have brought fakes to fundays to try and trade and others have used the black bags to try and prove its legitimacy. I would ask around for reputation checks. If it's someone no one knows, proceed with caution. If it's a known person then you should be ok. No matter what, ask for second opinions

Incredibly unfortunate that we have to be so cautious with these things in this day and age. Thanks for responding to my question Snackdaddy! I will take your advice and utilize it.
If you're buying from retailers you should get a receipt, proving that you bought it and the list price.

lol

Chenzo157

Postby Chenzo157 » Sat May 18, 2024 12:38 pm

Flatt wrote:
Chenzo157 wrote:I've been seeing people in groups sadly get scammed buying fakes. I'm not an expert like others but I always try to share the knowledge I've gained from groups and friends to newer collectors so they don't lose a single dollar

always good to share the wisdom.

Definitely. Not just prototypes too. I see new collectors and let them know where to buy bundles if they're still available so they don't end up overpaying
Attended:

Fright Night '22
Camp Fundays '23

:freddy1:

diabolix

Postby diabolix » Sat May 18, 2024 7:47 pm

CAHLEB wrote:
diabolix wrote:

Buy with confidence! Also I love the Ron English stuff. I wish the Mona Lisa Grin didn't sell out so quickly when it dropped on Funko Shop lol

Heyitsallwin

Postby Heyitsallwin » Sun May 19, 2024 2:33 pm

diabolix wrote:
CAHLEB wrote:
diabolix wrote:

Buy with confidence! Also I love the Ron English stuff. I wish the Mona Lisa Grin didn't sell out so quickly when it dropped on Funko Shop lol

I have purchased from SmeyeWorld many times, and they offer a wide variety of drops almost every week!

They are incredibly diligent with the lineage of Protos. When I inquired about the history of a proto I acquired from their store, they provided an extensive list of previous owners, tracing back to Funko. Impressively, everything checked out when I contacted the owners separately on Facebook. This experience gives me full confidence that they thoroughly vet the pieces listed on their website.

But in all seriousness, I would recommend everyone do their part by asking questions to verify the lineage when it comes to protos c:
SDCC Funday 2023

runtodere

Postby runtodere » Sun May 19, 2024 3:43 pm

Heyitsallwin wrote:
diabolix wrote:
CAHLEB wrote:

I have purchased from SmeyeWorld many times, and they offer a wide variety of drops almost every week!

They are incredibly diligent with the lineage of Protos. When I inquired about the history of a proto I acquired from their store, they provided an extensive list of previous owners, tracing back to Funko. Impressively, everything checked out when I contacted the owners separately on Facebook. This experience gives me full confidence that they thoroughly vet the pieces listed on their website.

But in all seriousness, I would recommend everyone do their part by asking questions to verify the lineage when it comes to protos c:

I'll have to follow up with Smeye on the ones I've purchased. I sort of assumed Smeye on its own was lineage but I'll have to do it.

KelsoTastic

Postby KelsoTastic » Sun May 19, 2024 8:10 pm

Heyitsallwin wrote:
diabolix wrote:
CAHLEB wrote:

I've almost purchased from them. Really like their website and have heard great things.
I don't have many photos but really do avoid eBay for them unless the seller is open about lineage and such. If its a friend of a friends or simply came in a collection than it is really hard to trace.
Funko Collector since 2014
First Pop Ygritte GOT
Favorite Pop Signed Oscar Isaac MoonKnight

Image Image

Chenzo157

Postby Chenzo157 » Mon May 20, 2024 12:36 am

runtodere wrote:
Heyitsallwin wrote:
diabolix wrote:

I'll have to follow up with Smeye on the ones I've purchased. I sort of assumed Smeye on its own was lineage but I'll have to do it.

Saying you got it from smeye with proof is definitely good on its own but trying to get a more detailed lineage from them never hurts. Especially if later down the line you decide to sell it
Attended:

Fright Night '22
Camp Fundays '23

TonyFunkoFreakHead

Postby TonyFunkoFreakHead » Mon May 20, 2024 1:09 am

diabolix wrote:

Happy to hear this, just overall for the community that buys from them, don't like seeing ppl get got

Heyitsallwin

Postby Heyitsallwin » Mon May 20, 2024 8:32 am

KelsoTastic wrote:
Heyitsallwin wrote:
diabolix wrote:

I've almost purchased from them. Really like their website and have heard great things.
I don't have many photos but really do avoid eBay for them unless the seller is open about lineage and such. If its a friend of a friends or simply came in a collection than it is really hard to trace.

I hear you, I also try to avoid eBay where possible unless it's directly sponsored by Funko of some sort (there would be plenty of photos of the event with the proto present, and or social media messages on the handler's Instagram, x , tiktok, etc).
SDCC Funday 2023

Heyitsallwin

Postby Heyitsallwin » Mon May 20, 2024 8:35 am

runtodere wrote:
Heyitsallwin wrote:
diabolix wrote:

For sure, and there is no harm making a list for yourself. I was once advised by a veteran collector to create an photo album just for your proto lineage, and to this day, it works wonders lol
SDCC Funday 2023

diabolix

Postby diabolix » Mon May 20, 2024 10:25 am

Heyitsallwin wrote:
runtodere wrote:
Heyitsallwin wrote:

For sure, and there is no harm making a list for yourself. I was once advised by a veteran collector to create an photo album just for your proto lineage, and to this day, it works wonders lol

I should do this, but I'm so lazy haha

runtodere

Postby runtodere » Mon May 20, 2024 6:46 pm

Chenzo157 wrote:
runtodere wrote:
Heyitsallwin wrote:

Saying you got it from smeye with proof is definitely good on its own but trying to get a more detailed lineage from them never hurts. Especially if later down the line you decide to sell it

For sure - I just asked. Hopefully they can dig it up still

runtodere

Postby runtodere » Mon May 20, 2024 6:48 pm

Heyitsallwin wrote:
runtodere wrote:
Heyitsallwin wrote:

Interesting - that's a good idea!

FunkoFresh253

Postby FunkoFresh253 » Mon May 20, 2024 6:48 pm

DeputyDan wrote:With the world of technology getting more and more crazy, now i begin to wonder if people can 3D print false prototypes?

Anyone else had these thoughts?

I just love my POPS! and now that I've started collecting these prototypes, I want to make sure I'm buying the real deal.

yea that steers me from buying expensive ones. i usually only keep if i get gifted directly from funko or a reputable seller.
Team Goonies! Team Pop Protectors! Team Lumberjacks!Image

Heyitsallwin

Postby Heyitsallwin » Mon May 20, 2024 9:49 pm

diabolix wrote:
Heyitsallwin wrote:
runtodere wrote:

I hear you, I am just thankful you can select multiple pictures/screenshots and move them as bulk lol
SDCC Funday 2023

Chenzo157

Postby Chenzo157 » Tue May 21, 2024 1:06 am

runtodere wrote:
Chenzo157 wrote:
runtodere wrote:

For sure - I just asked. Hopefully they can dig it up still

I'm sure they can. I've got a street fighter dan I got from them like 2 years ago and I bet they'd be able to dig up the lineage if I asked
Attended:

Fright Night '22
Camp Fundays '23

runtodere

Postby runtodere » Tue May 21, 2024 3:32 pm

Heyitsallwin wrote:
diabolix wrote:
Heyitsallwin wrote:

I hear you, I am just thankful you can select multiple pictures/screenshots and move them as bulk lol

Fair enough!

KelsoTastic

Postby KelsoTastic » Thu May 23, 2024 4:04 pm

Heyitsallwin wrote:
runtodere wrote:
Heyitsallwin wrote:

A photo album titled Lineage with photos of receipts and photos at events. Now that is a wonderful idea. Will probably have to do this.
Funko Collector since 2014
First Pop Ygritte GOT
Favorite Pop Signed Oscar Isaac MoonKnight

Image Image

Jmagic

Postby Jmagic » Thu May 23, 2024 4:16 pm

:D Awesome thread! Definitely will be using all the tips and strategies mentioned for my proto purchsase.
I Collect Stoof :albino:

Chenzo157

Postby Chenzo157 » Mon May 27, 2024 3:38 am

One thing I learned is just because there's paint markings on it doesn't mean it's fake. Witnessed my friend as fright night pull a proto that looked like the paint was stripped from the black bag. Some would call scrapper but we knew it was legit since they got it from the proto wall
Attended:

Fright Night '22
Camp Fundays '23

Return to “Pop!”