Funko over produced?

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
CAHLEB

Re: Funko over produced?

Postby CAHLEB » Fri May 24, 2024 9:49 am

zonkttc wrote:Do you think funko can go back to super rare days?

No. The company is public now. Their mission is to make money not please fans.

Greek187

Postby Greek187 » Fri May 24, 2024 12:44 pm

hpellot wrote:
billville wrote:Yeah, I used to be one of those people who would always get upset when I missed a really exclusive drop, but at the end of the day it was all about the thrill of the hunt for me, which always kept me coming back. 'You win some, you lose some' kinda situations.

Def a double-edged sword for Funko though, because it's great that people have been able to get what they want pretty easily, but these are also considered collectibles, so finding that fine line between those 2 worlds would be ideal, yet understandably difficult. I agree with most that con exclusives should be treated as such, and held to a higher regard in the collectible world, and maybe production runs be left to the commons.

I feel like there should also be a clear delineation between fundays exclusive and shared BOFs.

I agree I think they need fundays items not to be shared online and the online box to be different items completly

Yesh I agree with you , not like last year - that was bad idea whoever came up with that
Funko POP collector since 2015
Wife and Husband hobby for both of us
Couples funatics!
EVENTS going to SDCC 2024 - DISNEY D23 2024
Sdcc 2023 :freddy3: Image
WENT TO -.Hollywood grand opening ,Wondercon 23 , FUNKON 1 2021 opening day,,

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Fri May 24, 2024 7:05 pm

Greek187 wrote:
hpellot wrote:
billville wrote:Yeah, I used to be one of those people who would always get upset when I missed a really exclusive drop, but at the end of the day it was all about the thrill of the hunt for me, which always kept me coming back. 'You win some, you lose some' kinda situations.

Def a double-edged sword for Funko though, because it's great that people have been able to get what they want pretty easily, but these are also considered collectibles, so finding that fine line between those 2 worlds would be ideal, yet understandably difficult. I agree with most that con exclusives should be treated as such, and held to a higher regard in the collectible world, and maybe production runs be left to the commons.

I feel like there should also be a clear delineation between fundays exclusive and shared BOFs.

I agree I think they need fundays items not to be shared online and the online box to be different items completly

Yesh I agree with you , not like last year - that was bad idea whoever came up with that

Exactly I think we all did not like what happened last year
ImageImageImage

Some people call me the orange hoodie

ISO funko Force creature from black lagoon chase Glow in the dark

jaypeeds

Postby jaypeeds » Fri May 24, 2024 10:22 pm

hpellot wrote:
Greek187 wrote:
hpellot wrote:

I can't agree more! Been happening to any hobby really, shoes, cards, designer toys... the moment they overproduce the craziness drops tremendously. Though one can argue that those who leave are mostly the resellers, so it's still a win to true collectors I guess

Chenzo157

Postby Chenzo157 » Sat May 25, 2024 3:06 am

CAHLEB wrote:

The only rare ones we'll get are ones obtained at fundays or from NFT drops.
Attended:

Fright Night '22
Camp Fundays '23

:freddy1:

Greek187

Postby Greek187 » Sat May 25, 2024 4:19 am

jaypeeds wrote:
hpellot wrote:
Greek187 wrote:

I can't agree more! Been happening to any hobby really, shoes, cards, designer toys... the moment they overproduce the craziness drops tremendously. Though one can argue that those who leave are mostly the resellers, so it's still a win to true collectors I guess

True , marvel legends . Star wars black series , pretty much anything is being over produced . Nothing truly being limited
Couples funatics!

Greek187

Postby Greek187 » Sat May 25, 2024 4:19 am

Chenzo157 wrote:
CAHLEB wrote:

100% this
Couples funatics!

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Sat May 25, 2024 1:06 pm

Greek187 wrote:
jaypeeds wrote:
hpellot wrote:

True , marvel legends . Star wars black series , pretty much anything is being over produced . Nothing truly being limited

Yep all the major collectible companies are having this issue
ImageImageImage

E1f4

Postby E1f4 » Sat May 25, 2024 2:30 pm

Greek187 wrote:
Chenzo157 wrote:
CAHLEB wrote:

100% this

Yup true LE counts will be behind NFT, Fundays, and #count Con stickers. Anything else will just flood the market eventually.
:freddy2:

hawkman2

Postby hawkman2 » Sat May 25, 2024 2:41 pm

Does seem like there are a lot of restocks.

Greek187

Postby Greek187 » Sat May 25, 2024 3:19 pm

hawkman2 wrote:Does seem like there are a lot of restocks.

Yes a lot of restocks is true -as long as Funko was making money, that is their companies mission . And they’re getting more product to other fans so I guess that was the whole thing
Couples funatics!

Chenzo157

Postby Chenzo157 » Sat May 25, 2024 4:55 pm

Greek187 wrote:

Yes a lot of restocks is true -as long as Funko was making money, that is their companies mission . And they’re getting more product to other fans so I guess that was the whole thing

Definitely a good and bad thing. Only bad if they say it's really limited then go and restock it
Attended:

Fright Night '22
Camp Fundays '23

taka

Postby taka » Sat May 25, 2024 6:48 pm

not a chance

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Sun May 26, 2024 12:07 pm

Greek187 wrote:

True at the end they are a public company and need to make the stock holders happy
ImageImageImage

runtodere

Postby runtodere » Sun May 26, 2024 12:47 pm

billville wrote:
runtodere wrote:

I'm guessing that Funko can't go back to the super-rare days (even 1/24 chases would be pretty cool) because of their size and fact of being public. I think they would be a better product if they did though.

Not sure, but my guess is that the super low piece counts were based on the Fundays attendance numbers at that point in time when the popularity wasn't quite as high as it is now. The only way I'd see that working now, based on current popularity, is by adding more Freddy variants to the bunch, which I imagine would take a lot of planning and resources to pull off. Coupled with the fact that Fundays attendance is now growing in numbers, and nights offered as well this year.

I agree though, and they could however offer a few super low piece counts as grand prizes during Fundays. Kinda like how they did the Willy Wonka golden ticket giveaway a while back.

Could you imagine the insanity? Glow anakin was crazy last year - wonder what they might have this year with the two days of fundays?

Greek187

Postby Greek187 » Sun May 26, 2024 4:22 pm

runtodere wrote:
billville wrote:
runtodere wrote:I'm guessing that Funko can't go back to the super-rare days (even 1/24 chases would be pretty cool) because of their size and fact of being public. I think they would be a better product if they did though.

Not sure, but my guess is that the super low piece counts were based on the Fundays attendance numbers at that point in time when the popularity wasn't quite as high as it is now. The only way I'd see that working now, based on current popularity, is by adding more Freddy variants to the bunch, which I imagine would take a lot of planning and resources to pull off. Coupled with the fact that Fundays attendance is now growing in numbers, and nights offered as well this year.

I agree though, and they could however offer a few super low piece counts as grand prizes during Fundays. Kinda like how they did the Willy Wonka golden ticket giveaway a while back.

Could you imagine the insanity? Glow anakin was crazy last year - wonder what they might have this year with the two days of fundays?

Glow Ahsoka franny confirmed lol
Couples funatics!

Chenzo157

Postby Chenzo157 » Mon May 27, 2024 3:34 am

Greek187 wrote:

They're smart too restocking things they know would sell out.
Attended:

Fright Night '22
Camp Fundays '23

runtodere

Postby runtodere » Tue May 28, 2024 9:07 pm

Greek187 wrote:
runtodere wrote:
billville wrote:

Glow Ahsoka franny confirmed lol

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Rick_Morty46

Postby Rick_Morty46 » Tue May 28, 2024 11:05 pm

Chenzo157 wrote:
CAHLEB wrote:

The only rare ones we'll get are ones obtained at fundays or from NFT drops.[/quote

Definitely the NFT Drops, especially the ones with low count grails.

GalaxyBodega

Postby GalaxyBodega » Wed May 29, 2024 1:09 am

Im assuming a new wave of deadpool pops are coming and there already SO MANY

Greek187

Postby Greek187 » Wed May 29, 2024 1:12 am

GalaxyBodega wrote:Im assuming a new wave of deadpool pops are coming and there already SO MANY

Inflation of Deadpool pops lol
Couples funatics!

GalaxyBodega

Postby GalaxyBodega » Wed May 29, 2024 1:13 am

Greek187 wrote:
GalaxyBodega wrote:Im assuming a new wave of deadpool pops are coming and there already SO MANY

Pops gwenpool, minis, plush, pool pool pool pool!!!!

B3ASTN3RD

Postby B3ASTN3RD » Wed May 29, 2024 3:09 am

So I haven't been pop hunting in a while, like 6 months, but went out yesterday to check out what's new, yes I picked up around 5 pops, but what I noticed right away was that there are sooooooooooo many reprints of pops that dropped years ago, like a ton. I didn't know that was a thing that was going on at this level. I don't see how there could be that many people who didn't get these on first release, don't they risk flooding the market?
ImageImageImage

Alanamaslama

Postby Alanamaslama » Wed May 29, 2024 6:20 am

GalaxyBodega wrote:
Greek187 wrote:

At least Gwenpool is her own character. Also the Unbelievable Gwenpool series was easily one my favorite Marvel comic series in the 2010s. I’ll gladly take more Gwenpool along with her supporting cast. Give me Batroc, Gwenpool, Megatony and a standalone Jeff the Landshark!
Hey, I’m Alan!

First Pop: Notorious BIG #18
Most Recent Addition: Roy Mustang #393
Con/Event Checklist: Anime Expo (1x) // Comic Con Palm Springs (1x) // Comic Con Revolution Ontario (4x) // Fundays 2017 // Funkon 2021 // Los Angeles Comic Con (3x) // San Diego Comic Con (7x) // WonderCon (1x)

zonkttc

Postby zonkttc » Wed May 29, 2024 7:40 am

Alanamaslama wrote:
GalaxyBodega wrote:
Greek187 wrote:

At least Gwenpool is her own character. Also the Unbelievable Gwenpool series was easily one my favorite Marvel comic series in the 2010s. I’ll gladly take more Gwenpool along with her supporting cast. Give me Batroc, Gwenpool, Megatony and a standalone Jeff the Landshark!

Agree Variety is the spice of life

Labackpacker007

Postby Labackpacker007 » Wed May 29, 2024 8:39 am

plumb102 wrote:
PopLoot wrote:Definitely some products more than others. What surprises me is Vaulted pops making there way back into the market. I guess it is good for new collectors that may have missed the initial release.

That always surprises me too; aren't reprinting some as well?

Reprinting? Is Funko re-releasing limited edition pops?
Longtime SDCC attendee and volunteer (since before it moved from the U.S. Grant). Also, charter D23 member and D23 Expo attendee. Looking forward to D23 2024 & SDCC2024. My family and I have attempted to attend Funko Fundays every year but have so far been unsuccessful in our quest.
Please don’t suggest joining Cop-a-Pop. We’re not into cheating or line-cutting. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Labackpacker007

Postby Labackpacker007 » Wed May 29, 2024 8:40 am

Anhtrung05 wrote:I am okay when a new variant comes out for the same pop, however, it makes me sad when they unvault things. I work so hard to add those into my collection and now I regret doing it.

Excuse my ignorance, but how exactly does Funko “vault” pops?
Longtime SDCC attendee and volunteer (since before it moved from the U.S. Grant). Also, charter D23 member and D23 Expo attendee. Looking forward to D23 2024 & SDCC2024. My family and I have attempted to attend Funko Fundays every year but have so far been unsuccessful in our quest.
Please don’t suggest joining Cop-a-Pop. We’re not into cheating or line-cutting. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Labackpacker007

Postby Labackpacker007 » Wed May 29, 2024 8:41 am

plumb102 wrote:
Anhtrung05 wrote:I am okay when a new variant comes out for the same pop, however, it makes me sad when they unvault things. I work so hard to add those into my collection and now I regret doing it.

I do think its odd when they reproduce.. then it becomes a challenge on old/new/or fake :-k

If it’s an open edition, how can you tell? Is there a date or something?

Labackpacker007

Postby Labackpacker007 » Wed May 29, 2024 8:45 am

rexflexall wrote:Of course when a company gets bigger they gonna reuse molds to try to get the most out of em, happens to all big toy companies!

Enesco destroyed several collectible lines when they took them over and started reissuing pieces from molds that were allegedly destroyed. I remember David Winter Cottages would hold an annual event where they would literally PUBLICLY destroy the molds of certain popular pieces. However, these molds were magically resurrected a few years later when Enesco took over.

Labackpacker007

Postby Labackpacker007 » Wed May 29, 2024 8:47 am

I think the same thing happened to Lilliputian Lane’s pieces too, but it’s been awhile so I may have the two mixed up. I just feel like Enesco ruins everything they touch. :/

Labackpacker007

Postby Labackpacker007 » Wed May 29, 2024 8:48 am

B3ASTN3RD wrote:So I haven't been pop hunting in a while, like 6 months, but went out yesterday to check out what's new, yes I picked up around 5 pops, but what I noticed right away was that there are sooooooooooo many reprints of pops that dropped years ago, like a ton. I didn't know that was a thing that was going on at this level. I don't see how there could be that many people who didn't get these on first release, don't they risk flooding the market?

Just curious, which pops did you see (or at least which ones stood out in your memory)?

Labackpacker007

Postby Labackpacker007 » Wed May 29, 2024 8:51 am

Sheesh. I wish Funko execs would read this Forum instead. I’ve seen so many wonderful ideas for Pops that would be super popular.

Labackpacker007

Postby Labackpacker007 » Wed May 29, 2024 8:52 am

Greek187 wrote:
jaypeeds wrote:
hpellot wrote:

That’s terrible. I hate to see Funko sabotaging its brand name like that. :(

Labackpacker007

Postby Labackpacker007 » Wed May 29, 2024 8:55 am

Trendkill24hr wrote:
Alanamaslama wrote:
Trendkill24hr wrote:Seeing more limited pops besides NFTs and Freddie’s would be nice, but personally just want to see some new licenses.

I’m happy for the One Piece collectors, but man Funko, let the license breathe a little and give us some other lines. lol

Same here. It seems like they keep going back to the same franchises over and over again. Give some other ones a chance. There are so many other shows and movies that also have huge fan bases, especially nostalgic shows.

Labackpacker007

Postby Labackpacker007 » Wed May 29, 2024 8:56 am

Pogiboy67 wrote:i agree they have been over produced, especially the ones with tons of variants. puts me off as a collector

Agreed.

Labackpacker007

Postby Labackpacker007 » Wed May 29, 2024 9:10 am

evanaki424 wrote:
hpellot wrote:
noahhrs wrote:
The Disney Lorcana cards are also a good example. Huge hype but then they ended up being everywhere and seemed super overproduced

True and lorcana still keeps pumping them out

Gosh, I used to have at least a dozen of the Brave Little Tailor cards from Lorcana. I wish I’d kept them instead of giving them away. My wife is still mad at me for giving away her card by mistake. She had 7 or 8 signatures on hers (she’d waited in line at D23 repeatedly to get the entire crew to sign it). I didn’t think she really wanted it because she’s not really into gaming. Boy, did I screw up. #-o

Labackpacker007

Postby Labackpacker007 » Wed May 29, 2024 9:12 am

evanaki424 wrote:
hpellot wrote:
noahhrs wrote:
The Disney Lorcana cards are also a good example. Huge hype but then they ended up being everywhere and seemed super overproduced

True and lorcana still keeps pumping them out

I am torn on whether I like the limited-ness and then cry when I miss out on things or whether I like being able to get things easily and then cry over the lack of rarity in my collection

Same. I think one solution might be to do a limited release of less popular characters/franchises that have more of a cult following, and mass-produce characters with a wide appeal to a broader audience.

drtorch

Postby drtorch » Wed May 29, 2024 10:02 am

hpellot wrote:
Greek187 wrote:

True at the end they are a public company and need to make the stock holders happy

I am a huge Star Wars Black Series line fan from Hasbro. The line has dropped in popularity as soon as they started to remake the hard to find figures on a different card. Unfortunately, I believe I am seeing the end to the Black Series line. I hope Funko doesn't make this mistake and collectors walk away. This is such a fun thing to collect due to the community. :freddy2: :freddy2: :freddy2: :freddy2: :freddy2:

TornadoJoes

Postby TornadoJoes » Wed May 29, 2024 10:05 am

We can only hope Funko can one day bring back the good ole days of collecting.
:wwe5:
Funko Fun Days - 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2023
SDCC - 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2023
NY Toy Fair - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
D23 Expo - 2013, 2015, 2017, 2019, 2022

BestDadEver

Postby BestDadEver » Wed May 29, 2024 4:40 pm

imbatgirlpop wrote:
plumb102 wrote:
Dave17251 wrote:
I agree with it being hard to please both sides. Personally I feel they should still cater more to the collector side and keep them more limited. Especially convention ones or event exclusive. Otherwise, why have them labeled as a collectible or exclusive?

I also agree with the double-edged sword unfortunately.. it's very hard to please the collectors, the fans, and the fan-based collectors (those categories might all be the same or completely different per person too) :-k ](*,)

I’m feeling kinda underwhelmed with Funko. I liked the chase , the low count- and I used to say please make it pre-order so there’s no flipping action, but there’s too many now.

yeah agree, I know it sucks when we don't get what we want, but I love the thrill of the hunt. MIss the days when I used to actually camp out for something.
Image Image

Return to “Pop!”