Barnes & Noble exclusives?

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
lcarus83

Barnes & Noble exclusives?

Postby lcarus83 » Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:25 am

Whatever happened to Barnes and Noble exclusives? They still get one every once in a blue moon but they used to be one of the biggest places to get exclusives. They didn't get a single con pop this year did they?

While I'm thinking about it, I also remember Fugitive Toys and Gemini Collectibles used to get a lot of exclusives. I know Gemini still gets one here and there but not like they used to. I can't remember the last Fugitive Toys exclusive. They were doing the White Lantern Pops and then they just stopped.
Holy Grails: Riddler, Penguin, Two-Face, Hawkman, Martian Manhunter, Logan

rexflexall

Re: Barnes & Noble exclusives?

Postby rexflexall » Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:18 am

They seem to have quieted down lately.

opopssum

Postby opopssum » Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:50 am

I was just thinking about the arms thing my self, I didn’t even realize about gem and fugitive.
I wonder if Some Barns still have their giant nerd areas, I haven’t been to one in forever.
- tauntaunking on instagram

Tusken

Postby Tusken » Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:14 pm

Maybe they had to take a step backwards or the cost for certain pops was too much? It is odd they have faded away when it came to them though. :freddy3:
Hi I'm Tusken.
Top Fan Badge of Funko, Funko Europe, Funko (Hollywood), Funko Games, Funko Blitz
Funko Winner of Danger Mouse 2021 - Twitter
Image Image Image Image

lcarus83

Postby lcarus83 » Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:35 pm

opopssum wrote:I was just thinking about the arms thing my self, I didn’t even realize about gem and fugitive.
I wonder if Some Barns still have their giant nerd areas, I haven’t been to one in forever.

I haven't been to mine in a few months. I only have 2 in my city but the last time I went, the main Pop section was moved way to the back of the store where the DVDs and vinyl records are.

The Hot Topic and Box Lunch in my city have cut their Funko section down by a lot. I remember Pops used to take up about half of a Hot Topics walls. My Box Lunch is down to two measly little shelves.

The last time I went to Walgreens, there wasn't a single Pop in there. Walgreens also used to be one of my primary hunting grounds, but the last couple years not so much. The Walgreens in my area don't get the new exclusives like they used to. Most of my hunting now is Walmart and Target. :-/

renardchua
Collector Of The Year
Collector Of The Year

Postby renardchua » Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:08 pm

Harry Potter Winged Key Pop! is shared with Barnes/BAM.

But yeah, definitely they got less now compared to before.
Hi, I’m Renard. :freddy3:
Instagram: @renardchua

scullysdad

Postby scullysdad » Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:29 pm

lcarus83 wrote:The last time I went to Walgreens, there wasn't a single Pop in there. Walgreens also used to be one of my primary hunting grounds, but the last couple years not so much. The Walgreens in my area don't get the new exclusives like they used to. Most of my hunting now is Walmart and Target. :-/

The Walgreens thing worries me more than B&N because I never see Pops in the stores anymore, but they still seem to be getting the Universal Monsters every Halloween. Which means, catch the online drop or it's gone forever.
Please Funko make Taylor Swift Pops!

Most wanted non-Taylor Pops: Carson Teva, Naru from Prey, The Last of Us TV show

Geescube
HoF 2016 & CotM
HoF 2016 & CotM

Postby Geescube » Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:52 pm

Some of the BN stores (smaller) are super duper scaled back on the collectibles in general. My store went from having that tall shelf display to having a tiny tiny wall with like 10 GoT pops on it. No mystery minis either. Alot of clearance pops too. Sad.

mongoose12

Postby mongoose12 » Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:25 pm

B&N was actually a nice little secret spot for me back in the day. I remember scoring a Luke and Wampa back in the day with no issue lol times have changed.

digithor

Postby digithor » Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:54 am

Geescube wrote:Some of the BN stores (smaller) are super duper scaled back on the collectibles in general. My store went from having that tall shelf display to having a tiny tiny wall with like 10 GoT pops on it. No mystery minis either. Alot of clearance pops too. Sad.

That's a shame, I must say that stopping in at BN on my road trips in the US was something I looked forward to since they always had such large areas just loaded with pops.
SDCC 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
Fundays 2018, 2019, 2021, 2023
HQ Grand Opening, ECCC Night and meetup at HQ, Hollywood Grand Opening, World Premier Making fun
Horror fanatic, GiTD collector, Star Wars
ImageImageImageImage

Hqsdfan619

Postby Hqsdfan619 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:57 pm

I have noticed they have had less coming in at my local stores. Not sure why.

aprilyoufools

Postby aprilyoufools » Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:18 am

The drastic amount that B&N scaled back made it seem like they were eventually getting away from selling Funko completely.
Even if this isn’t the case, it’s unfortunate but I understand since overall sales have shifted from brick-and-mortar locations to online.
she/they • ARMY | MOA | Bunnies/Tokki | FEARNOT

Geescube
HoF 2016 & CotM
HoF 2016 & CotM

Postby Geescube » Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:20 pm

I also remember the epic SDCC website fail that occurred a couple of years ago or so and wondered if that had anything to do with this. :-k

mongoose12

Postby mongoose12 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:17 pm

Geescube wrote:I also remember the epic SDCC website fail that occurred a couple of years ago or so and wondered if that had anything to do with this. :-k

its hard not to connect the dots and think this debacle didn't have any role in things :-k

Halfrig

Postby Halfrig » Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:34 pm

The big retailers like Wal-Mart and Target (along with Hot Topic) have cut back significantly compared to recent years. Either supply issues due to COVID or just the retailers reducing inventory due to product turn over.
:freddy1:

lcarus83

Postby lcarus83 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:46 pm

Halfrig wrote:The big retailers like Wal-Mart and Target (along with Hot Topic) have cut back significantly compared to recent years. Either supply issues due to COVID or just the retailers reducing inventory due to product turn over.

Yep. Hot Topic, which has been THE place for Pops since forever, has cut their sections down significantly. Unmasked Sam finally came in at one of my Hot Topics but they only got 3 in the shipment. They also got in 3 of the new Gambits. This is at Promenade Mall in Tulsa, Oklahoma which is literally on death's doorstep. The entire upper level, movie theater, and food court are shut down and now they aren't even running the air conditioning on the bottom level, where there are still a few places open. I think it's only Hot Topic, Journeys, Bath and Body, and Dillards that are still open. It really sucks because I love malls and so many of them are either dead or dying.

Jalapenopete

Postby Jalapenopete » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:36 am

mongoose12 wrote:B&N was actually a nice little secret spot for me back in the day. I remember scoring a Luke and Wampa back in the day with no issue lol times have changed.

I agree bn had a great selection, I could always find the most random pops like the TV or movie lines that wouldn't typically find a regular store
:freddy3:

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:54 am

I regret not picking up the B&N BTS exclusive set back then!

Lonikins
HoF 2020 & CotM & Spirit Award
HoF 2020 & CotM & Spirit Award

Postby Lonikins » Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:01 am

Barnes and Noble is where I picked up my first ever pop a decade ago :( Poor B&N. I also think BAM has started to take over some of their exclusives, which is annoying because we don't have BAM in my area.
Lauren - @flippiefloppies on twitter - @lonikinsfunko on IG - Spirit 2017 - CotM October 2018 - Hall of Fame Class of 2020

ImageImageImageImage

lcarus83

Postby lcarus83 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:38 pm

Lonikins wrote:Barnes and Noble is where I picked up my first ever pop a decade ago :( Poor B&N. I also think BAM has started to take over some of their exclusives, which is annoying because we don't have BAM in my area.

The BAM in my city has cut their Funko section down by a lot as well. I was there last weekend and they only had a couple of the diamond edition Jiminy Crickets and a Bram Stoker exclusive. As far as the commons, the majority of their Pop section was a TON of live action Lion King and Artemis Fowl pops that they clearly have had a hard time selling.

aprilyoufools

Postby aprilyoufools » Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:07 pm

lcarus83 wrote:
Lonikins wrote:Barnes and Noble is where I picked up my first ever pop a decade ago :( Poor B&N. I also think BAM has started to take over some of their exclusives, which is annoying because we don't have BAM in my area.

The BAM in my city has cut their Funko section down by a lot as well. I was there last weekend and they only had a couple of the diamond edition Jiminy Crickets and a Bram Stoker exclusive. As far as the commons, the majority of their Pop section was a TON of live action Lion King and Artemis Fowl pops that they clearly have had a hard time selling.

That's unfortunate and sad to hear. They had quite a number of decent exclusives over the past few years or so. CaziusClay just came up on the Moana/Kakamora 2-pack OOB (for free) recently that I def wanted to keep.
she/they • ARMY | MOA | Bunnies/Tokki | FEARNOT

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:32 am

I haven't been to a B&N for months now!

lcarus83

Postby lcarus83 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:15 am

So I've gone back to Barnes & Noble again and it's even worse than before. One little end cap with about a dozen Pops on it. Most were undesirable, damaged Pops that have been there a while. There were a couple Pop Pins and things, but that's it. The big huge section of Pops that used to be back by the CDs and records was wiped out and roped off. Not sure what they plan to do with that section. Very disappointing.

Out of the 12 or so Walgreens in my area, I was lucky to find Pops at a couple locations. They usually just had one Scary Face Jack Skellington or some random common. I was lucky enough to find Azrael and Bishop at one location. They had one of each.

FYE went under in my city a few years back. Hot Topic and Box Lunch don't carry very many Pops anymore either. So overall the in-person Pop hunt in my area is pretty much dead. It's down to just Target and Walmart and that's just kinda sad.

scullysdad

Postby scullysdad » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:36 am

lcarus83 wrote:So I've gone back to Barnes & Noble again and it's even worse than before. One little end cap with about a dozen Pops on it. Most were undesirable, damaged Pops that have been there a while. There were a couple Pop Pins and things, but that's it. The big huge section of Pops that used to be back by the CDs and records was wiped out and roped off. Not sure what they plan to do with that section. Very disappointing.

Same here, I went on Monday to buy the new issue of Doctor Who Magazine and I always check out the Pops in any store I go to. Maybe 30 total, and all older commons.
Please Funko make Taylor Swift Pops!

Most wanted non-Taylor Pops: Carson Teva, Naru from Prey, The Last of Us TV show

Fugly16

Postby Fugly16 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:51 am

Getting the SDCC posters from B&N was the best, then one year they stopped and I was bummed.

I recently went into one and the display size was about the same as I remember. One 4 sided display unit and at least two giant book shelves dedicated to Funko.

MrFadedGlory

Postby MrFadedGlory » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:13 am

I saw an Allen Parish kinda recently, should have snagged it .

My BN has two sections, a current carousel by the Manga/collectibles and the back wall of the music/movies with shelf warmers that aren’t even marked down.

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:36 am

I haven't been to B&N in months! Wonder what's new?

LujaKulu

Postby LujaKulu » Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:20 pm

I wondered why the B&N exclusives died off a few years back myself. I'm sort of glad though because the website changed and I can never get it to function where I am; I used to buy pops from B&N all the time before that because they had coupons all the time.

It's sort of a shame because B&N is where my Funko collection began, actually. Back in 2012, I remember being there with some family members and getting to the checkout line to discover Disney pops (Maleficent, the Queen, Belle) being displayed there. I had never seen or heard of them. They were so adorable, I got both the villains right there, then came by a few days later to get a few more. So even though I do have a sizeable pop collection at this point--thankfully I *don't* buy every Disney pop--I don't think it's that bad considering it was built up over ten years' time.
Collecting Since: Spring 2012
First pop: Maleficent
Most recent pop: TLM VHS Cover Pop, Mama Odie w/ Juju, Ursula Cart
Pop Count: 280+
Next-to-Buy: Lady Tremaine, Hades on Throne, Conductor!Sebastian
Lines I Collect: Disney Animated Classics, Kingdom Hearts, Sailor Moon, Digimon
Dream Pops: ReBoot, Final Fantasy

Fugly16

Postby Fugly16 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:13 pm

LujaKulu wrote:I wondered why the B&N exclusives died off a few years back myself. I'm sort of glad though because the website changed and I can never get it to function where I am; I used to buy pops from B&N all the time before that because they had coupons all the time.

It's sort of a shame because B&N is where my Funko collection began, actually. Back in 2012, I remember being there with some family members and getting to the checkout line to discover Disney pops (Maleficent, the Queen, Belle) being displayed there. I had never seen or heard of them. They were so adorable, I got both the villains right there, then came by a few days later to get a few more. So even though I do have a sizeable pop collection at this point--thankfully I *don't* buy every Disney pop--I don't think it's that bad considering it was built up over ten years' time.

For me it was the same, B&N was a big catalyst for me as I started to collect. B&N had like a 15% off coupon and I made my wife, her sister and a friend all buy some for me. I remember one of which was the ecto-1 with Winston. I still have that one.

Esko5150

Postby Esko5150 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:09 am

Fugly16 wrote:
LujaKulu wrote:I wondered why the B&N exclusives died off a few years back myself. I'm sort of glad though because the website changed and I can never get it to function where I am; I used to buy pops from B&N all the time before that because they had coupons all the time.

For me it was the same, B&N was a big catalyst for me as I started to collect. B&N had like a 15% off coupon and I made my wife, her sister and a friend all buy some for me. I remember one of which was the ecto-1 with Winston. I still have that one.

Same I heard of a buy 2 get 1 free sale and I went ham and thats basically how I got deeper into pops.

But honestly every time I went recently their pop areas are filled with commons no one wants. Thats prob why they slowed down.
Hello I'm ESKO!
900+ Pops, Mystery Minis, Sodas & Other Funko Products
Mayor of Angrytown

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

digithor

Postby digithor » Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:16 am

Those times of trying to buy the exclusives on their website, oh that was some interesting times. lol
HQ Grand Opening, ECCC Night and meetup at HQ, Hollywood Grand Opening, World Premier Making fun
ImageImageImageImage

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:30 pm

digithor wrote:

Those times of trying to buy the exclusives on their website, oh that was some interesting times. lol

LOL it was! Getting in cart then error, over and over for me!

Nemesis989

Postby Nemesis989 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:43 pm

Up here in Canada we don't have B&N. However, whenever I was in the States I would run in and see if I could find any exclusives....I never could...in Texas anyway
Thank you everyone for this awesome community

emcee

Postby emcee » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:08 pm

Pouring one out for the OG that is B&N
Collecting since 2013 (Jon Snow)
POP! Count: Stopped counting

digithor

Postby digithor » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:55 am

rexflexall wrote:
digithor wrote:

I remember trying my first time one night and those errors went on into the morning hours.

Nemesis989 wrote:Up here in Canada we don't have B&N. However, whenever I was in the States I would run in and see if I could find any exclusives....I never could...in Texas anyway

Same thing I did in the states, "ohhh look at this". lol
ImageImageImageImage

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:56 am

digithor wrote:
rexflexall wrote:
digithor wrote:

I remember trying my first time one night and those errors went on into the morning hours.

Nemesis989 wrote:Up here in Canada we don't have B&N. However, whenever I was in the States I would run in and see if I could find any exclusives....I never could...in Texas anyway

Same thing I did in the states, "ohhh look at this". lol

B&N used to have sickkkkkkkk Funko and toy clearance sales!

PhoenixForce

Postby PhoenixForce » Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:18 pm

I'm hoping the Diamond Edition of Wonder Woman will be easy to find at B&N. Our stores pop section continues to shrink unfortunately.

Hi, I'm JASON!
You can follow me on Instagram: @jpg_rising or on Twitter: @jpg_rising
I also have an Instagram just for my Funko Photography: @PhoenixForcePhotos
I've been collecting since 2013: It started with Marvel and quickly became a collection of, a little bit of everything in between!

digithor

Postby digithor » Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:12 am

PhoenixForce wrote:I'm hoping the Diamond Edition of Wonder Woman will be easy to find at B&N. Our stores pop section continues to shrink unfortunately.

I keep thinking of the dc shop glitter version.
ImageImageImageImage

Ginzo1622

Postby Ginzo1622 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:22 am

digithor wrote:
PhoenixForce wrote:I'm hoping the Diamond Edition of Wonder Woman will be easy to find at B&N. Our stores pop section continues to shrink unfortunately.

I keep thinking of the dc shop glitter version.

It might be online so everyone should be able to grab
Fundays 2022 - Proto Robots
Fright Night 2022
Fundays 2023 - Protomoa Wolves

Don't stand in my way!!!

:whdat:

brooklyn_geek

Postby brooklyn_geek » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:28 am

They don't happen as much now because they don't sell very well...B&N stores around here usually have a bunch of their exclusives

Return to “Pop!”