Unique POPS Funko has created

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
PopCollector
HoF 2018 & CotM
HoF 2018 & CotM

Unique POPS Funko has created

Postby PopCollector » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:05 pm

Funko has come a long way from the original single pose POPs. I find it fascinating how they continue to evolve their POPS from the early days when we were excited with their metallic, flocked or glow in the dark variants. There are so many varieties, but this latest Frog of Thunder in a jar from the Disney + Loki series I really like and is currently one of my favorites. I really liked this variation because having a POP in a jar is something totally different like a prop out of the show. I have probably forgotten all the different unique POPs that Funko has created over the years so I would love to hear what your favorite unique POP is!

I'm Lewis - "...from Collectors, to Friends, to Family"

ImageImageImage Image ImageImage

lazcommalisa
Rookie Of The year
Rookie Of The year

Re: Unique POPS Funko has created

Postby lazcommalisa » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:13 pm

I totally agree with you! Funko keeps pushing the boundaries with the new and exciting sculpts they come out with each year. I think some of the most unique pops that come to my mind and they haven’t done this type of thing in a while are 2 2018 NYCC pops: professor quirrell and okye. The idea of the removable part and making a new figure was so creative and I was in awe of both of them.

mongoose12

Postby mongoose12 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:14 pm

ive mentioned this before, how the design/art evolution is just amazing. i particularly mention the original ironman (04) and while it is simple by design (comic version) when compared to a newer ironman pop you can really see the differences. funko continues to push the envelope and task risks while still keeping some of their 'core' features in each pop.

in terms of my favorite unique pop, it would have to be the batman/jim gordon movie moment with them standing by the bat signal.

mongoose12

Postby mongoose12 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:18 pm

PopCollector wrote:Funko has come a long way from the original single pose POPs. I find it fascinating how they continue to evolve their POPS from the early days when we were excited with their metallic, flocked or glow in the dark variants. There are so many varieties, but this latest Frog of Thunder in a jar from the Disney + Loki series I really like and is currently one of my favorites. I really liked this variation because having a POP in a jar is something totally different like a prop out of the show. I have probably forgotten all the different unique POPs that Funko has created over the years so I would love to hear what your favorite unique POP is!

on a side note, seeing the frog of thunder gives me continued hope that we will one day see a tv show accurate pop version of zordon. i'd even want it to be somewhat blurry just like the show lol

HowardTheDuck

Postby HowardTheDuck » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:29 pm

I couldn’t have even imagined Pops like we get now in my wildest dreams when I first started collecting. It’s been an absolute delight to witness that progression. A very recent example that took me aback is the Supreme Strange Statue I just got in my MCC box. It’s not the most elaborate pop of all time but I spent a long time just admiring the detail in the paint job and molding. I’d love to see more like it in the future.
I'm Julian. HowardTheFunatic on IG!
ISO: FREDDY FUNKO CAPTAIN AMERICA, FREDDY FUNKO STORMTROOPER, FAIRLY ODD PARENTS 3 PACK, CONTEST OF CHAMPIONS HOWARD THE DUCK PROTO, MAN-THING PROTO, BRUTUS THE BUCKEYE PROTO

renardchua
Collector Of The Year
Collector Of The Year

Postby renardchua » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:33 pm

Great topic, Lewis! :)

Would love to see people’s answers here.

For me, top of mind for me is Benson from The Regular Show of Cartoon Network.

The Gumball machine design is really ingenious and unique - still one of my all-time favorite Funko Pops ever! :)
Last edited by renardchua on Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hi, I’m Renard. :freddy3:
Instagram: @renardchua

renardchua
Collector Of The Year
Collector Of The Year

Postby renardchua » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:35 pm

mongoose12 wrote:
PopCollector wrote:Funko has come a long way from the original single pose POPs. I find it fascinating how they continue to evolve their POPS from the early days when we were excited with their metallic, flocked or glow in the dark variants. There are so many varieties, but this latest Frog of Thunder in a jar from the Disney + Loki series I really like and is currently one of my favorites. I really liked this variation because having a POP in a jar is something totally different like a prop out of the show. I have probably forgotten all the different unique POPs that Funko has created over the years so I would love to hear what your favorite unique POP is!

on a side note, seeing the frog of thunder gives me continued hope that we will one day see a tv show accurate pop version of zordon. i'd even want it to be somewhat blurry just like the show lol

Zordon, in Pint Size Heroes form, is ingenious as well! :D

mongoose12

Postby mongoose12 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:56 pm

renardchua wrote:
mongoose12 wrote:

so true story, i had to look this up because i'll admit i didn't know it existed let alone what it looked like. lol wow what a great looking piece!

brooklyn_geek

Postby brooklyn_geek » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:04 pm

One of my favorite all time Pops and one of the first I ever took out of the box...also unique imo

lavery01
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby lavery01 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:15 pm

There’s so many unique pops that have been made, but the pop album line and the pop comic covers really stands out for me.
Hi I'm Latricia \:D/

StarWarner
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Postby StarWarner » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:17 pm

brooklyn_geek wrote:One of my favorite all time Pops and one of the first I ever took out of the box...also unique imo

I absolutely love that Pop. It is so different and cute.
I'm Tiffany. Instagram & Twitter: @star_warner
ImageImage

ISO:
Queen in the North Pop proto
Sansa Stark Rock Candy proto
Maleficent Protos
Harley Rock Candy and PSH protos
Luna Lovegood Pop or Rock Candy protos

PopCollector
HoF 2018 & CotM
HoF 2018 & CotM

Postby PopCollector » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:39 pm

lazcommalisa wrote:I totally agree with you! Funko keeps pushing the boundaries with the new and exciting sculpts they come out with each year. I think some of the most unique pops that come to my mind and they haven’t done this type of thing in a while are 2 2018 NYCC pops: professor quirrell and okye. The idea of the removable part and making a new figure was so creative and I was in awe of both of them.

Oooh that is a good one. Although I like Harry Potter I was not able to keep up with all the releases, but I kept the unique sculpts with Professor Quirrel being one of them! Okye I have because I am an avid Marvel collector. The first POPs if I am not wrong that had something unique with the POP itself was the Game of Thrones Ned Stark whose head could be detached. This is a good one! Thanks for reminding me!

mongoose12 wrote:ive mentioned this before, how the design/art evolution is just amazing. i particularly mention the original ironman (04) and while it is simple by design (comic version) when compared to a newer ironman pop you can really see the differences. funko continues to push the envelope and task risks while still keeping some of their 'core' features in each pop.

in terms of my favorite unique pop, it would have to be the batman/jim gordon movie moment with them standing by the bat signal.
Spoiler: show

Agree with you totally. I remember when they made the Avengers Iron Man and I loved that mold. Still probably on of my favorite IronMan molds. Good one with the movie moments. Before movie moments I remember looking for a bat signal to go with a Batman Pop.

HowardTheDuck wrote:I couldn’t have even imagined Pops like we get now in my wildest dreams when I first started collecting. It’s been an absolute delight to witness that progression. A very recent example that took me aback is the Supreme Strange Statue I just got in my MCC box. It’s not the most elaborate pop of all time but I spent a long time just admiring the detail in the paint job and molding. I’d love to see more like it in the future.

Another good one! Yes the quality of the POPs these days are pretty amazing. I remember we always had threads on bad paint jobs with the compound Hulk I think having the worst paint job.

renardchua wrote:Great topic, Lewis! :)

Would love to see people’s answers here.

For me, top of mind for me is Benson from The Regular Show of Cartoon Network.

The Gumball machine design is really ingenious and unique - still of my all-time favorite Funko Pops ever! :)

Yes Renard! I remember that Benson pop and the Gumball machine design. I never watched the show, but in hindsight this is one that would have been nice in the collection for it's uniqueness!

brooklyn_geek wrote:One of my favorite all time Pops and one of the first I ever took out of the box...also unique imo

Good one Clyde! I don't remember exactly, but this was around the time we began to see more POPs being accompanied by other items that made the POP more easily identifiable with a movie scene. Awesome pick!

lavery01 wrote:There’s so many unique pops that have been made, but the pop album line and the pop comic covers really stands out for me.

Yes, pop albums, comic covers and VHS movies are definitely a unique line!

Mr Yac

Postby Mr Yac » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:19 pm

surprised nobody has mentioned this little guy

PopCollector
HoF 2018 & CotM
HoF 2018 & CotM

Postby PopCollector » Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:43 pm

Mr Yac wrote:surprised nobody has mentioned this little guy

Bingo! Yes that is definitely a unique one!

CaseyJones14
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY

Postby CaseyJones14 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:50 pm

One of my favorite movies has 2 Pops that I'd consider pretty unique. Definitely a fun thread idea!

Brett - caseyj0nes14 on Instagram
ISO - Dorbz and McNugget Protos!

aprilyoufools

Postby aprilyoufools » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:07 pm

Gelatinous Cube was the first one I thought of when I saw this thread, and Xanathar and Tiamet also from Dungeons and Dragons
Last edited by aprilyoufools on Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
she/they • ARMY | MOA | Bunnies/Tokki | FEARNOT

Mr Yac

Postby Mr Yac » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:09 pm

aprilyoufools wrote:Gelatinous Cube was the first one I thought of when I saw this thread, and Xanthar and Tiamet also from Dungeons and Dragons

The D&D line has quickly become one of my favorites. was sad there wasn't a reveal for SDCC, we really need a D&D accurate Demogorgon.

aprilyoufools

Postby aprilyoufools » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:17 pm

Mr Yac wrote:
aprilyoufools wrote:Gelatinous Cube was the first one I thought of when I saw this thread, and Xanthar and Tiamet also from Dungeons and Dragons

The D&D line has quickly become one of my favorites. was sad there wasn't a reveal for SDCC, we really need a D&D accurate Demogorgon.

Maybe for ECCC or NYCC? I know nothing about D&D (other than "Stranger Things") and don't collect them but I appreciate how unique the sculpts are compared to other POP! figures. Would also love to see a D&D-accurate Vecna.

lazcommalisa
Rookie Of The year
Rookie Of The year

Postby lazcommalisa » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:39 pm

YES!!! I got this pop to get free shipping from Gamestop lol I had just recently watched Onward when this pop came out and knew I needed to have this. All the DnD pops have been nothing short of amazing. I saw the proto for this in the FB and even that is epic.

Mr Yac

Postby Mr Yac » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:35 pm

lazcommalisa wrote:
YES!!! I got this pop to get free shipping from Gamestop lol I had just recently watched Onward when this pop came out and knew I needed to have this. All the DnD pops have been nothing short of amazing. I saw the proto for this in the FB and even that is epic.

i've never seen his proto, jealous of whoever owns it.

aprilyoufools wrote:Maybe for ECCC or NYCC? I know nothing about D&D (other than "Stranger Things") and don't collect them but I appreciate how unique the sculpts are compared to other POP! figures. Would also love to see a D&D-accurate Vecna.

he's way different than his Stranger Things counterpart , think giant 2 headed Baboon with tentacles.

Dsho333

Postby Dsho333 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:04 pm

I think jiraiya and Naruto on toad are super unique

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:50 pm

How about the rose one from beauty and the beast that was a unique one
ImageImageImage

Some people call me the orange hoodie

ISO funko Force creature from black lagoon chase Glow in the dark

Rantt

Postby Rantt » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:05 pm

As for me, I still think Bao is the most unique in term of how Funko Package it in the form of a dumpling box and it’s so pretty!
:freddy2: Kent Chua

ISO: AstroBoy Protos, Maleficent Protos, Funko Freddy Protos.

PopCollector
HoF 2018 & CotM
HoF 2018 & CotM

Postby PopCollector » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:27 pm

CaseyJones14 wrote:One of my favorite movies has 2 Pops that I'd consider pretty unique. Definitely a fun thread idea!

LOL Starship Troopers is classic!

Ooh yes, the DnD are definitely unique ones! Tiamat is so cool. I missed this one.

Mr Yac wrote:
lazcommalisa wrote:

Me too Mr. Yac. I would love to see what the proto looks like!

Dsho333 wrote:I think jiraiya and Naruto on toad are super unique

Yes this was one I was considering even though I did not collect the line. It looked pretty awesome. Double POPS.

hpellot wrote:How about the rose one from beauty and the beast that was a unique one

Yes unique that it wasn't technically even a character!

Rantt wrote:As for me, I still think Bao is the most unique in term of how Funko Package it in the form of a dumpling box and it’s so pretty!

True! Unique packaging which Funko has exceled at since the introduction of POPS with a see through box and sized so that it was stackable.

renardchua
Collector Of The Year
Collector Of The Year

Postby renardchua » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:25 am

mongoose12 wrote:
renardchua wrote:
mongoose12 wrote:

so true story, i had to look this up because i'll admit i didn't know it existed let alone what it looked like. lol wow what a great looking piece!

You know what’s up, bud. If you want some obscure/not so popular Funko line, you know I can be of your service. :)

Actually, the MMPR PSH line one of my faves, almost all main characters (masked and unmasked) and villains were created, plus we have Zordon and Dragonzord as well!

Here’s a pic of my full set :)

digithor

Postby digithor » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:35 am

That was a unique one, just a fun design all around.
SDCC 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
Fundays 2018, 2019, 2021, 2023
HQ Grand Opening, ECCC Night and meetup at HQ, Hollywood Grand Opening, World Premier Making fun
Horror fanatic, GiTD collector, Star Wars
ImageImageImageImage

Mr Yac

Postby Mr Yac » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:46 am

digithor wrote:
That was a unique one, just a fun design all around.

I still think it’d make for an awesome Freddy

aprilyoufools

Postby aprilyoufools » Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:07 am

PopCollector wrote:
Mr Yac wrote:
lazcommalisa wrote:YES!!! I got this pop to get free shipping from Gamestop lol I had just recently watched Onward when this pop came out and knew I needed to have this. All the DnD pops have been nothing short of amazing. I saw the proto for this in the FB and even that is epic.

Me too Mr. Yac. I would love to see what the proto looks like!

One of the admins in Funko Protos 101 group on FB collects D&D protos. My partner got the Asmodeus proto after dancing on stage during Festival of Fun at ECCC last December and ended up selling it to her. She wanted it as a birthday present to herself. These are her photos she posted in the Protos 101 Facebook group.

CoolNerd

Postby CoolNerd » Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:05 am

Rantt wrote:As for me, I still think Bao is the most unique in term of how Funko Package it in the form of a dumpling box and it’s so pretty!

Yes I agree that Bao is really unique in packaging and its really cute and its like love at first sight!
Just a collector who loves Funko!!

BigM
HoF 2019 & CotM
HoF 2019 & CotM

Postby BigM » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:43 am

Forgot about a couple of these. My first thought was the Benson pop.
Mickey :SW7:
IG: Fuzzybunnyshogun
Looking for IRON MAIDEN POP PROTOS
Team Deadpool!
COTM 01/17

Fugly16

Postby Fugly16 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:50 am

Tiny ghost in a jar is all like, "Am i nothing to you?!?"

But my favorite which got me into collecting, Alan and Caby Carlos. Spot on perfect with that baby carrier. They hooked me with this.

mongoose12

Postby mongoose12 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:32 am

this is quickly becoming one of my favorite threads. its given me a chance to really take a good look at some pops that i don't own but still admire from a design prospective. the gelatinous cube is just insanely cool looking and this is coming from someone who has zero understanding of D&D except that they talk about it alot on stranger things lol

lavery01
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby lavery01 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:35 am

Yes it is, one of my favorites. So glad that I have him..lol
Hi I'm Latricia \:D/

Rantt

Postby Rantt » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:42 am

lavery01 wrote:

Yes it is, one of my favorites. So glad that I have him..lol

Me too! It’s so unique and cute! One of the best to me!
:freddy2: Kent Chua

ISO: AstroBoy Protos, Maleficent Protos, Funko Freddy Protos.

evrythngzen

Postby evrythngzen » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:57 am

I loved when we started getting the flying witches like the ones from Hocus Pocus. I consider them to be unique in their own way. LOL
:freddy3: Collector, convention manager, all around nerdy weirdo!!

Tusken

Postby Tusken » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:59 am

Lewis I found this pop very fun to see in person. It's on point with a character that showed up for a short period of time in Loki. If he glows in the dark it would be on point. :freddy3:
Hi I'm Tusken.
Top Fan Badge of Funko, Funko Europe, Funko (Hollywood), Funko Games, Funko Blitz
Funko Winner of Danger Mouse 2021 - Twitter
Image Image Image Image

DrunkoPop

Postby DrunkoPop » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:22 am

I’m probably in the minority that likes the Art Series. :clown:
Image Image
ImageImage

PopCollector
HoF 2018 & CotM
HoF 2018 & CotM

Postby PopCollector » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:34 am

Tusken wrote:

Lewis I found this pop very fun to see in person. It's on point with a character that showed up for a short period of time in Loki. If he glows in the dark it would be on point. :freddy3:

That's awesome. I ahve it on preorder and you are right, if it was a GITD piece or had sound too, that would be mindblowing.

DrunkoPop wrote:I’m probably in the minority that likes the Art Series. :clown:

Still unique in it's way nonetheless! I feel that for some the art they drew on it was a bit overwhelming for the figure while others I thought they worked really well!

Sarcasticguy
Hall of Fame Class of 2023
Hall of Fame Class of 2023

Postby Sarcasticguy » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:37 am

Codsworth from Fallout is pretty cool

Hi, I'm Scott.
Instagram: @Sarcasticguy89
ISO:
Any Fallout Protos
Aliens Ellen Ripley Rock Candy Proto
Furiosa and Normal Immortan Joe Protos
SDCC '13 Bloody Predator Pop!
Retro Freddy Thor | Retro Freddy Skeletor

DrunkoPop

Postby DrunkoPop » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:40 am

PopCollector wrote:
Tusken wrote:

That's awesome. I ahve it on preorder and you are right, if it was a GITD piece or had sound too, that would be mindblowing.

DrunkoPop wrote:I’m probably in the minority that likes the Art Series. :clown:

Still unique in it's way nonetheless! I feel that for some the art they drew on it was a bit overwhelming for the figure while others I thought they worked really well!

My faves are the TMNT set and Robin Hood in which I have in my pop collection :razz:
Image Image
ImageImage

Return to “Pop!”