Oakland Athletics - Black Panther Funko Pop Stadium Giveaway 9/10/22

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
MajorLeaguePops

Oakland Athletics - Black Panther Funko Pop Stadium Giveaway 9/10/22

Postby MajorLeaguePops » Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:40 pm

Here is the calendar for the A's promotional schedule which includes a Black Panther Funko Pop giveaway on Sept. 10th, 2022.

Does anyone know anything about this giveaway? The A's have not (from my searches) published any further information or images of this. My assumption is that the pop is going to be a common Black Panther pop because the A's are very cheap and I doubt they would do any type of exclusive pop. But what would be really cool is if they did a Ryan Coogler Black Panther Director pop (Oakland Born) OR an exclusive pop of black panther in the outfit he wore in the Oakland scenes, which looks like a pea coat and his iconic claw necklace.

BUT knowing the A's, I doubt they would do anything that cool.

mongoose12

Re: Oakland Athletics - Black Panther Funko Pop Stadium Giveaway 9/10/22

Postby mongoose12 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:53 pm

No idea about what the exclusive would be but I don’t think it would be an already released common. Also, the screenshot says Presented by Comcast Xfinity so it’s actually them doing the promo so you’re in luck lol they have a few bucks to spare and will no doubt do something awesome :D

renardchua
Collector Of The Year
Collector Of The Year

Postby renardchua » Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:00 pm

Hopefully it’s something Black Panther in A’s gear or something along those lines, and not just previously released regular pops. :cheers:
Hi, I’m Renard. :freddy3:
Instagram: @renardchua

MajorLeaguePops

Postby MajorLeaguePops » Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:08 pm

mongoose12 wrote:No idea about what the exclusive would be but I don’t think it would be an already released common. Also, the screenshot says Presented by Comcast Xfinity so it’s actually them doing the promo so you’re in luck lol they have a few bucks to spare and will no doubt do something awesome :D

You underestimate the A's ability to be cheap.
My wife's family has had season tickets since 1986
My Dad since 1987
I had my own since 2014
(In total 6 seats - for 40+ games a year)

This is the first season the A's offered Season tickets post-Covid.

They raised their prices 50-70% for season ticket plans, raised food prices 100% for season ticket holders, (they used to have 50% off food for 2017-2019 seasons Pre-Covid but no more for this season), also raised parking to $20 for STH, which used to be Free for some plans. AND they traded all of their best players, did not resign any free agents. and the cherry on top is they are now receiving money from all the other MLB teams in the revenue sharing plan complaining they are a small market team. They have one of the richest owners in MLB and yet they are always in the bottom 5 teams in spending. If they could do something cheap, they would. Xfinity sponsoring it will only have them having more money in their pockets.

If it wasn't clear, we are no longer season ticket holders.

I hold out hope that they do something cool with this pop. But my expectations are zero.

aprilyoufools

Postby aprilyoufools » Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:33 pm

MajorLeaguePops wrote:You underestimate the A's ability to be cheap.
My Dad since 1987
I had my own since 2014

They raised their prices 50-70% for season ticket plans, raised food prices 100% for season ticket holders, (they used to have 50% off food for 2017-2019 seasons Pre-Covid but no more for this season), also raised parking to $20 for STH, which used to be Free for some plans. AND they traded all of their best players, did not resign any free agents. and the cherry on top is they are now receiving money from all the other MLB teams in the revenue sharing plan complaining they are a small market team. They have one of the richest owners in MLB and yet they are always in the bottom 5 teams in spending. If they could do something cheap, they would. Xfinity sponsoring it will only have them having more money in their pockets.

I hold out hope that they do something cool with this pop. But my expectations are zero.

My partner and I were considering going but your points are making me think otherwise. Especially when you're a collector in the Bay Area and are very aware of how well the SF Giants have done with their Funko and FiGPiN promo giveaways.

The points you bring up also make me sad since I know some of my partner's relatives are long-time A's fans and season ticket holders.
she/they • ARMY | MOA | Bunnies/Tokki | FEARNOT

MajorLeaguePops

Postby MajorLeaguePops » Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:47 pm

aprilyoufools wrote:
MajorLeaguePops wrote:You underestimate the A's ability to be cheap.

My partner and I were considering going but your points are making me think otherwise. Especially when you're a collector in the Bay Area and are very aware of how well the SF Giants have done with their Funko and FiGPiN promo giveaways.

The points you bring up also make me sad since I know some of my partner's relatives are long-time A's fans and season ticket holders.

The giants do things a little differently. Most of the time they do a special ticket only for their good stuff. Which is super frustrating. I don't want to spend $100 on a ticket when the item I want is $50 on eBay.

The A's however have cheap single game tickets and their Stadium Giveaways are for every person as they walk in.

I definitely don't want to discourage anyone from going, but I am just less than optimistic that the A's will have something worth going for - because of how cheap they are.

But if it is cool. I hope to go! But it all depends on if I'm going the following day for the Dave Stewart Number Retirement.

scullysdad

Postby scullysdad » Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:54 pm

The Brewers have done themed bobble head days here in Milwaukee, and it’s usually a player dressed as something. I would say there is a very small chance of this just being a common they hand out because these are normally sponsored and the team does not pay for them anyway. There is also a very small chance of this being a brand new sculpt. If it’s not a player’s head on Black Panther’s body then it’s going to be a repaint like the Giants Jack Jack.
Please Funko make Taylor Swift Pops!

Most wanted non-Taylor Pops: Carson Teva, Naru from Prey, The Last of Us TV show

comic book guy

Postby comic book guy » Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:41 pm

Thanks for sharing the info. Hopefully they'll have some decent cheap seats available. A Saturday afternoon at the ballpark plus a cool pop sounds great to me!
:king: Mike

mongoose12

Postby mongoose12 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:25 am

MajorLeaguePops wrote:
mongoose12 wrote:No idea about what the exclusive would be but I don’t think it would be an already released common. Also, the screenshot says Presented by Comcast Xfinity so it’s actually them doing the promo so you’re in luck lol they have a few bucks to spare and will no doubt do something awesome :D

My Dad since 1987
I had my own since 2014

So, tell me how you really feel about the As lol

runtodere

Postby runtodere » Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:03 pm

MajorLeaguePops wrote:

My Dad since 1987
I had my own since 2014

I still want one - even if it's common. This might be one of the last Oakland souvenirs ever - I know that's sad for fans though...

Tusken

Postby Tusken » Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:26 am

Interesting and hope the A’s do this for sure which might help other teams do the same down the line. :freddy3:
Hi I'm Tusken.
Top Fan Badge of Funko, Funko Europe, Funko (Hollywood), Funko Games, Funko Blitz
Funko Winner of Danger Mouse 2021 - Twitter
Image Image Image Image

runtodere

Postby runtodere » Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:43 am

Tusken wrote:Interesting and hope the A’s do this for sure which might help other teams do the same down the line. :freddy3:

Cmon Dodgers. Or Angels. Or maybe even Padres.

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:35 pm

Good one!

NoobMaster69

Postby NoobMaster69 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:53 pm

runtodere wrote:
MajorLeaguePops wrote:

My Dad since 1987
I had my own since 2014

I still want one - even if it's common. This might be one of the last Oakland souvenirs ever - I know that's sad for fans though...

Did the Warriors do anything special before leaving Oracle?

runtodere

Postby runtodere » Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:09 pm

NoobMaster69 wrote:
runtodere wrote:
MajorLeaguePops wrote:
My Dad since 1987
I had my own since 2014

Did the Warriors do anything special before leaving Oracle?

I didn't hear of anything. I think they were just happy to get out of Oracle.

they_call_me_alex

Postby they_call_me_alex » Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:22 pm

This seems like a very unique stadium giveaway. I remember the Giants had a Woody and BB-8 many years ago.
Good luck to all who are going for it.

NoobMaster69

Postby NoobMaster69 » Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:10 pm

they_call_me_alex wrote:This seems like a very unique stadium giveaway. I remember the Giants had a Woody and BB-8 many years ago.

They also had a pretty dope bruce lee version, which a more limited all orange variant

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:22 pm

I wish it was closer, sounds like a great give away
ImageImageImage

Some people call me the orange hoodie

ISO funko Force creature from black lagoon chase Glow in the dark

Popfanatics

Postby Popfanatics » Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:17 am

Born and raised in Oakland (but relocated to so ca) and I have been going to games since the 70’s. Whatever the pop is I need it!!
It’s me Lynda

Vertigo813

Postby Vertigo813 » Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:48 am

NoobMaster69 wrote:
they_call_me_alex wrote:This seems like a very unique stadium giveaway. I remember the Giants had a Woody and BB-8 many years ago.

They also had a pretty dope bruce lee version, which a more limited all orange variant

And this year they have the orange C-3PO with the black variant for the VIP tickets. The VIP tickets aren’t cheap but definitely worth it with how limited the variants are (both this and the orange Bruce Lee).
Image Image

JJLecaros

Postby JJLecaros » Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:32 am

planning on getting tickets for the event hopefully we get some pics soon.

JJLecaros

Postby JJLecaros » Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:33 am

comic book guy wrote:Thanks for sharing the info. Hopefully they'll have some decent cheap seats available. A Saturday afternoon at the ballpark plus a cool pop sounds great to me!

last I checked tickets were pretty cheap

FerrisGuy3

Postby FerrisGuy3 » Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:03 am

Oh wow. May be buying my nephew tickets to see a baseball game for me lol
Hi, I’m Tom. Michigan Based Funatic collecting since 2014

Chingy

Postby Chingy » Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:38 pm

How many other teams have given out a POP as a giveaway? I know the Mariners and Cardinals have, and so did a minor league team in Everett. Any others?

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:25 pm

Chingy wrote:How many other teams have given out a POP as a giveaway? I know the Mariners and Cardinals have, and so did a minor league team in Everett. Any others?

Tampa Bay Rays also did it
ImageImageImage

Some people call me the orange hoodie

ISO funko Force creature from black lagoon chase Glow in the dark

ocwankenobi

Postby ocwankenobi » Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:06 pm

Seem a little random. But awesome.
(Signature powered by VALOR Industries 4.0)

ryanc_

Postby ryanc_ » Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:21 pm

oh wow that sounds amazing. i've never been to an a's game, only giants games

scullysdad

Postby scullysdad » Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:40 pm

Chingy wrote:How many other teams have given out a POP as a giveaway? I know the Mariners and Cardinals have, and so did a minor league team in Everett. Any others?

Mariners, Cardinals, Rays. This year the Red Sox and Reds both have one. The Giants have done a few - BB-8, Jack Jack and Bruce Lee off the top of my head but there could be more - but they were not players, they were variants of existing Pops.
Please Funko make Taylor Swift Pops!

Most wanted non-Taylor Pops: Carson Teva, Naru from Prey, The Last of Us TV show

runtodere

Postby runtodere » Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:14 pm

I think I need to get tickets to this game

lavery01
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby lavery01 » Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:19 pm

scullysdad wrote:

Mariners, Cardinals, Rays. This year the Red Sox and Reds both have one. The Giants have done a few - BB-8, Jack Jack and Bruce Lee off the top of my head but there could be more - but they were not players, they were variants of existing Pops.

Would be great if the dodgers and angel stadiums did a giveaway, even So Fi. Wonder if it’s difficult to have these giveaways with the stadiums because there aren’t a lot of them happening. #-o
Hi I'm Latricia \:D/

they_call_me_alex

Postby they_call_me_alex » Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:36 pm

Vertigo813 wrote:
NoobMaster69 wrote:

And this year they have the orange C-3PO with the black variant for the VIP tickets. The VIP tickets aren’t cheap but definitely worth it with how limited the variants are (both this and the orange Bruce Lee).

I didn't know that they changed the ticket price based on the exclusive that you will get. I kind of like that you can guarantee yourself one of the more rare ones, but also kind of like the randomness if given the same ticket option to all attendees.

mactds

Postby mactds » Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:03 pm

Really interested to see how this turns out. Especially since there seems to be no obvious connection.
Hi, I'm Trevor
Current Pop Count: 310
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/mactds/

akagalar

Postby akagalar » Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:31 pm

It's during D23 so I wouldn't be able to go anyway.
Image Image

ocwankenobi

Postby ocwankenobi » Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:49 am

akagalar wrote:It's during D23 so I wouldn't be able to go anyway.

Not a bad reason..........

Love your Erso button.
(Signature powered by VALOR Industries 4.0)

Thehueys

Postby Thehueys » Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:45 am

I’m excited to see what this is. I love the stadium giveaways
Current collection count is over 5000 unique pieces.
FDO: 2023
Fundays: 2018,2019,2021,2022, 2023
Fright Night: 2022
ECCC: 2017,2018,2019,2021
SDCC: 2018, 2019,2022,2023,2024
NYCC: 2019,2022,2023
Wondercon: 2022,2023
C2E2: 2024
FunKon: 2021
Designer Con:2019,2021,2022,2023,2024

Always looking for missing Huckleberry Hound, Freddy Funko and Disney pieces that I’m missing :)

Chingy

Postby Chingy » Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:10 pm

scullysdad wrote:

Whoa that's a lot more than I knew about. Thanks

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:42 pm

Really, during D23? Ouchers.

Vertigo813

Postby Vertigo813 » Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:01 pm

they_call_me_alex wrote:
Vertigo813 wrote:
NoobMaster69 wrote:

I didn't know that they changed the ticket price based on the exclusive that you will get. I kind of like that you can guarantee yourself one of the more rare ones, but also kind of like the randomness if given the same ticket option to all attendees.

I think it’s a byproduct of how the Giants run their promotions. They have a lot of different events that have a VIP add on so it seems they slotted the Funko giveaways into that model as of recently. It is really nice being guaranteed the rare pop but it would be fun to have the randomness of the rare ones being intermingled with the standard ones for the general giveaway.
Image Image

Popfanatics

Postby Popfanatics » Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:43 am

akagalar wrote:It's during D23 so I wouldn't be able to go anyway.

I saw this too! Boo!
It’s me Lynda

Jaybrd1095

Postby Jaybrd1095 » Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:17 pm

Is there somewhere to find all Pop giveaways for games? All the different teams/cities?

Return to “Pop!”