Ever found a grail in your own closet?

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
Elewitt2022

Ever found a grail in your own closet?

Postby Elewitt2022 » Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:28 pm

Have you ever found a grail in your own closet?

The other day I was just looking in my pop closet (yes I have a closet where I put the pops I am not currently displaying) and I picked up one that didn't have a pop protector to check if it was worthy - and to my surprise it was more than worthy at a PPG of $125. Now this little guy is in a Pop Stack and is sitting prominently on my top shelf!!! :razz: :razz:

Instagram: @suplexrd

:freddy3:

squidward

Re: Ever found a grail in your own closet?

Postby squidward » Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:03 pm

There have been a few posts recently on another platform where people found a box of fun from ages ago.

My biggest surprises from the past were glow Doc Brown and Glow Kurama. Those both jumped a lot in a short period of time.
Member of TUFF. Attended: Fundays 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, Virtual 2021, 2022. HQ Grand Opening. Hollywood Grand Opening. Making Fun Premiere. Funkon 1 & 2. Fright Night 1. Multiple SDCC, NYCC, ECCC, Fugitive Parties. Lover of Funko Artist Sketches.

mongoose12

Postby mongoose12 » Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:09 pm

ha! this has happened to me so many times. but it was more like pops that i had tucked away that became grails over time. the DC bobblehead chases are the first ones that come to mind...more recently i found some older disney stuff.

Tusken

Postby Tusken » Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:12 pm

I found a Superman chase buried in a stack in my closet a few years ago I had missed. :freddy3:
Hi I'm Tusken.
Top Fan Badge of Funko, Funko Europe, Funko (Hollywood), Funko Games, Funko Blitz
Funko Winner of Danger Mouse 2021 - Twitter
Image Image Image Image

Elewitt2022

Postby Elewitt2022 » Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:46 pm

squidward wrote:There have been a few posts recently on another platform where people found a box of fun from ages ago.

My biggest surprises from the past were glow Doc Brown and Glow Kurama. Those both jumped a lot in a short period of time.

The Glow Doc Brown sounds awesome. I remember wishing I had tried to get that one!

Elewitt2022

Postby Elewitt2022 » Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:52 pm

mongoose12 wrote:ha! this has happened to me so many times. but it was more like pops that i had tucked away that became grails over time. the DC bobblehead chases are the first ones that come to mind...more recently i found some older disney stuff.

Definitely see the "over time" phenomenon happening with certain licenses. Especially when a sequel to a movie comes out, all of a sudden those first wave pops from the original movie increase over night.

Elewitt2022

Postby Elewitt2022 » Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:54 pm

Tusken wrote:I found a Superman chase buried in a stack in my closet a few years ago I had missed. :freddy3:

Finding a chase you didn't know you had has to be a fun moment! I know finding one in the wild is a thrill - but finding one in your own collection is next level!

Valde
HOF 2022 & CotM
HOF 2022 & CotM

Postby Valde » Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:23 pm

You don’t even want to know which Pops are on the floor of my closet. I did unpack some Pops from Tiki Fundays and found an Antman Freddy not too long ago.
Grail: Super Freddy
Jason - va1de on Instagram
ImageImageImage

jedik6
HoF 2023 & CotM
HoF 2023 & CotM

Postby jedik6 » Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:31 pm

This too has happened to me a lot lately...to a fault too. I found an SDCC Winnie the Pooh, an SDCC Heisenberg, an exclusive Gustavo Fring to name a few. I also realized I didn't have things I swore I did like a Gamora common....
Ahsoka Superfan
HOF #94 - Class of 2023
ISO Kamala Khan / Ms. Marvel MCU
Wednesday Addams Netflix Proto

joecolt

Postby joecolt » Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:58 pm

Finally found Scarface Tony Montana in packing boxes as well. I can finally display him haha

LakerSpartan117

Postby LakerSpartan117 » Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:04 pm

The only things I have in my closet is clothes I never touch and gum, but I did find one of my Kobe pops in there along with my Spyro proto. I think I kept them in there for safe keeping
ImageImageImageImageImage

keyese

Postby keyese » Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:42 pm

I'm always surprised at some of the pops that are suddenly worth triple digits that I wouldn't have expected. I have a bin of some dupe ones that I try to sell at local comic shows because they're usually not worth shipping and sometimes I get an unexpected gem :)
AKA ElizabethKeyes on Twitch or keyese on Discord :freddy2:
ISO Mystery Minis!
Lord of the Rings: Eowyn (HT) and Lurtz (HT)
Avengers Endgame: 1/72 Hulk, 1/72 Hawkeye, 1/24 Black Widow (all Walmart exclusives)

Spiffythedog

Postby Spiffythedog » Tue Jul 12, 2022 4:17 pm

I am positive I have a bunch of these hiding in my moving boxes. I went thru several years of packing / planning to move that most of my collection has always been stored and never properly displayed. I can't even remember most of what I have except for my old PPG account when I used to stay on top of cataloging my collection. Its on my priority list over the next few months to start unpacking them. Its gonna feel like Christmas morning haha
You can call me Spiff ;)
I collect Star Wars, mini things, cute things, and FRIENDS!

CaseyJones14
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY

Postby CaseyJones14 » Tue Jul 12, 2022 4:26 pm

mongoose12 wrote:ha! this has happened to me so many times. but it was more like pops that i had tucked away that became grails over time. the DC bobblehead chases are the first ones that come to mind...more recently i found some older disney stuff.

The closet and office merch king! :D

Not a grail, but I did stumble upon a Hei Hei in my closet the other day.
Brett - caseyj0nes14 on Instagram
ISO - Dorbz and McNugget Protos!

Stat32111

Postby Stat32111 » Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:18 am

Yes, and it’s always a nice surprise to see older pops that have jumped for one reason or another! I had the regular amazing Spider-Man and Amazing Spider-Man 2 sitting in a tote and they jumped quite a over the last year!
Instagram- calebshiny

funko_gtx91

Postby funko_gtx91 » Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:49 am

Elewitt2022 wrote:Have you ever found a grail in your own closet?

The other day I was just looking in my pop closet (yes I have a closet where I put the pops I am not currently displaying) and I picked up one that didn't have a pop protector to check if it was worthy - and to my surprise it was more than worthy at a PPG of $125. Now this little guy is in a Pop Stack and is sitting prominently on my top shelf!!! :razz: :razz:

It sure feels good to find a pop that is worthy that you don’t know about. An amazing pop! I am glad I have this in the collection

MadForAlice

Postby MadForAlice » Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:56 am

I love that Obi-Wan! Great find!!

We were going through my Boyfriend's Closet last week and found the set of Ghostbuster Freddy's and a Hatter Freddy!

Elewitt2022

Postby Elewitt2022 » Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:22 am

MadForAlice wrote:I love that Obi-Wan! Great find!!

We were going through my Boyfriend's Closet last week and found the set of Ghostbuster Freddy's and a Hatter Freddy!

I do like the Freddy's - the Ghostbuster set sounds amazing!

My favorite Freddy's in my collection are the Daft Punk Set from SDCC 2017 !! Those guys are front an center on my display!

Cmpotter
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Postby Cmpotter » Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:27 am

I keep 95% of my pops in totes in the basement so like once a year when I organize them I’m always surprised what I find lol I’m like oh I have this that’s cool and then some older ones I look at prices and am utterly shocked. It’s a fun experience lol
Image Image

scullysdad

Postby scullysdad » Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:58 am

Cmpotter wrote:I keep 95% of my pops in totes in the basement so like once a year when I organize them I’m always surprised what I find lol I’m like oh I have this that’s cool and then some older ones I look at prices and am utterly shocked. It’s a fun experience lol

Ha, same here, I keep about 100 on display at any time and the rest are in totes downstairs. Turns out my Naruto with the pre-release sticker is worth $$$ and I forgot I even had him until I was sorting things last week.
Please Funko make Taylor Swift Pops!

Most wanted non-Taylor Pops: Carson Teva, Naru from Prey, The Last of Us TV show

jagpop

Postby jagpop » Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:00 pm

joecolt wrote:Finally found Scarface Tony Montana in packing boxes as well. I can finally display him haha

Bro, that was Joe Montana that you found, not Tony.

I am not in danger, I am the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:19 pm

I have found them in my office and in my garage
ImageImageImage

Some people call me the orange hoodie

ISO funko Force creature from black lagoon chase Glow in the dark

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:20 pm

ImageImageImage

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:20 pm

ImageImageImage

lavery01
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby lavery01 » Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:21 pm

Husband was sorting our pops and realized that we had three of the attack on titans, Sasha, Mikasa, and Beast that all went up in value. lol
Hi I'm Latricia \:D/

joecolt

Postby joecolt » Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:23 pm

jagpop wrote:
joecolt wrote:Finally found Scarface Tony Montana in packing boxes as well. I can finally display him haha

I said Joe Mantegna
(The Waterboy reference)

jagpop

Postby jagpop » Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:24 pm

joecolt wrote:
jagpop wrote:

I said Joe Mantegna
(The Waterboy reference)

Well played... =D>

I am not in danger, I am the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!

HowardTheDuck

Postby HowardTheDuck » Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:41 pm

I glanced at my PPG top 10 recently and was floored to see Ghostface, Blue Heisenberg AND the OG Zero chase up there. I can’t remember the last time it changed and those were definitely surprises. Guess I should throw protectors on those. lol
I'm Julian. HowardTheFunatic on IG!
ISO: FREDDY FUNKO CAPTAIN AMERICA, FREDDY FUNKO STORMTROOPER, FAIRLY ODD PARENTS 3 PACK, CONTEST OF CHAMPIONS HOWARD THE DUCK PROTO, MAN-THING PROTO, BRUTUS THE BUCKEYE PROTO

MadForAlice

Postby MadForAlice » Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:20 am

Elewitt2022 wrote:

My favorite Freddy's in my collection are the Daft Punk Set from SDCC 2017 !! Those guys are front an center on my display!

Those ones are the Freddy Flux right? They're so cool together. I believe we're missing one to complete the set. They're amazing!

FunCo010

Postby FunCo010 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:23 am

I wish!! haha I wish I had a closet that keeps gems in there :P
PLEASE FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM: FUNCO010

Tusken

Postby Tusken » Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:33 am

Elewitt2022 wrote:
Tusken wrote:I found a Superman chase buried in a stack in my closet a few years ago I had missed. :freddy3:

Finding a chase you didn't know you had has to be a fun moment! I know finding one in the wild is a thrill - but finding one in your own collection is next level!

That is the one thing I've never been lucky to do and that is find a chase in the wild. Hoping one day though. :freddy3:
Hi I'm Tusken.
Top Fan Badge of Funko, Funko Europe, Funko (Hollywood), Funko Games, Funko Blitz
Funko Winner of Danger Mouse 2021 - Twitter
Image Image Image Image

opopssum

Postby opopssum » Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:38 am

I don't know if I would consider them grails but I completely forgot about some Freddys from last years "Funkon", I left them in the box of fun and put them on a shelf and it was out of site out of mind.
- tauntaunking on instagram

jagpop

Postby jagpop » Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:47 am

Most definitely this has happen. Pops that I have collected because I enjoyed the line but stashed away because of space issues. Came back to the boxes later and rediscovered them.

Chingy

Postby Chingy » Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:53 am

At SDCC 2010 (or 2011?) I bought the metallic Buzz Lightyear that was limited to 360 pieces and had the designer sign it and sketch a little buzz on the box. A couple years went by and I gave it to my nephew because what the hell did I know? Now every time I visit my brother's house, I find my grail in his toy piles, beaten all to hell.

Elewitt2022

Postby Elewitt2022 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:00 am

Chingy wrote:At SDCC 2010 (or 2011?) I bought the metallic Buzz Lightyear that was limited to 360 pieces and had the designer sign it and sketch a little buzz on the box. A couple years went by and I gave it to my nephew because what the hell did I know? Now every time I visit my brother's house, I find my grail in his toy piles, beaten all to hell.

Such a sad story! But at least you know that at one time you owned a Grail of Grails! Lets just try to forget the rest of the story.... lol

Elewitt2022

Postby Elewitt2022 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:07 am

Tusken wrote:
Elewitt2022 wrote:

That is the one thing I've never been lucky to do and that is find a chase in the wild. Hoping one day though. :freddy3:

When I first started collecting "Chasing," I thought that was the ultimate goal. I would drive around from target to barnes and noble to gamestop in one part of town, and then over to another area with another target and barnes and noble and gamestop. The best was when you found them all in one shopping center. Hooray!

I eventually found one at a Gamestop and another at a Target, but I realized I didn't even want those pops! I was just picking up because they were chases..... Eventually, the "Chase" was too exhausting, and I discovered Ebay was really the best option to get the Pops! I wanted to own. And it took a lot less time. I still glance at the Pop area every time I am in Target....the "Chase" is still in my psyche, just not to the point that it once was. lol ;-) lol

Elewitt2022

Postby Elewitt2022 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:09 am

MadForAlice wrote:
Elewitt2022 wrote:

Those ones are the Freddy Flux right? They're so cool together. I believe we're missing one to complete the set. They're amazing!

Yes, they are. I love the different faces on each one. I ended up spending way too much on the last one - just to complete the set! But I am happy I did it!

Elewitt2022

Postby Elewitt2022 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:12 am

FunCo010 wrote:I wish!! haha I wish I had a closet that keeps gems in there :P

Is that a Conan Pop in your signature image?

My journey with Funko started with the give-a-way Conan's at SDCC years back. I am a big fan of all the different variants!

What is the story behind your signature, if it is ok to ask?

DrunkoPop

Postby DrunkoPop » Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:54 am

BANE from the Dark Knight Rises
I purchased him 4 years ago from an avid collector who couldn’t wait to get rid of him. Now he’s worth $240. lol
Image Image
ImageImage

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:41 pm

My Doc Brown glow, when I bought someone's BTTF lot for cheap 3 years ago!

Return to “Pop!”