Calling Old School Collectors - The Clockwork Orange Story

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
grailmonster

Calling Old School Collectors - The Clockwork Orange Story

Postby grailmonster » Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:43 pm

Hey guys... so, I was fortunate enough to recently attain a Clockwork Orange (I'm super super excited!!!).

I was wondering if anyone who was around from 2010-2015 era can run through the full story of this Pop!
Just looking for all-encompassing details of everything involving it as I'm super fascinated by the history and story.

* How were both variants originally distributed (I've seen the threads about Gemini selling the Chase in 2013, was the non-Chase also sold through Gemini?)

* What were the licensing issues Funko faced with this piece?

* What is Radio Days and how were they involved?

* Any quirky and cool facts about it would be awesome!!

Thank you!!

Toys R Us Kid

Re: Calling Old School Collectors - The Clockwork Orange Story

Postby Toys R Us Kid » Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:19 pm

Congrats on that megafind! I've always appreciate these from a far. How long were you hunting for this before tracking one down?
- I'm also looking forward to seeing what other info is out there about it's history. This was before I was collection but I too was always curious about it's story.
Jorge, here! Instagram: toys.r.us.kid
Fundays 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023 | "Making Fun" Hollywood Premier | Funko Hollywood Grand Opening
Fright Night II 2022 | Mask - O - Raid 2022 | FDO9 Sacramento | Funkon I & II

0mie

Postby 0mie » Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:25 pm

I’m listening

My NFT collections zlyau.wam | wallet.dp | funatic.ftw
FUNKLUB MEMBER #1337

mongoose12

Postby mongoose12 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:45 pm

#11 was personally owned by Brian until 2016 when it became apart of my collection. No cap as the kids would say.

grailmonster

Postby grailmonster » Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:48 pm

[quote="mongoose12"]#11 was personally owned by Brian until 2016 when it became apart of my collection. No cap as the kids would say.[/quote]

Wow. amazing!
#11 gitd or non?

mongoose12

Postby mongoose12 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:50 pm

glow my guy

willy wonka
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby willy wonka » Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:54 pm

Congrats on the Addition!
Just call me Joe...

ImageImage
ISO: Freddy Mad Hatter LE 1/24, Mad Hatter Protos,
SDCC 4 Pack Dorbz(Found thanks to another Funatic)

Serch_na

Postby Serch_na » Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:25 am

Following I want to know to
NYCC 2022
Deadpool - Photography - Mexican

grailmonster

Postby grailmonster » Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:40 am

[quote="Toys R Us Kid"]Congrats on that megafind! I've always appreciate these from a far. How long were you hunting for this before tracking one down?
- I'm also looking forward to seeing what other info is out there about it's history. This was before I was collection but I too was always curious about it's story.[/quote]

It took me about 4 months in total.
I knew a lot of the owners, but had trouble getting any of them to sell! I kinda got lucky with finding this particular one (and at a price I'd consider to be reasonable).

runtodere

Postby runtodere » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:35 am

[quote="mongoose12"]#11 was personally owned by Brian until 2016 when it became apart of my collection. No cap as the kids would say.[/quote]
Crazy

lavery01
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby lavery01 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:55 am

Wow! Now the story of how you managed this is what I would love to hear. lol
Hi I'm Latricia \:D/

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:45 am

[quote="lavery01"][quote="mongoose12"]#11 was personally owned by Brian until 2016 when it became apart of my collection. No cap as the kids would say.[/quote]

Wow! Now the story of how you managed this is what I would love to hear. lol[/quote]

Congrats on the find.
ImageImageImage

Some people call me the orange hoodie

ISO funko Force creature from black lagoon chase Glow in the dark

grailmonster

Postby grailmonster » Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:24 pm

Here is what I've been able to find out (thanks jacob!) - if you have additional info, feel free to correct & revise this, or add to it!:

Back in 2012, Funko had plans to produce a full line of Clockwork Orange Pops!. Since paying exorbitant amount of money for licenses wasn't as feasible of an option as it is today, they frequently used a company named Radio Days to help skirt licensing & copyright laws.

If you look at the "Clockwork Orange" logo on the Pop, it has a gear in the middle of the "o" - this is not the official Clockwork Orange logo. Part of Radio Days' effort to navigate the licensing was using a unique logo (they did this with several Pops!).

For whatever reason, Clockwork Orange's parent company took a very threatening approach with these Pops! and ordered them all destroyed or face legal action. Brian (CEO) destroyed all but 12 of Chase, 12 of the non-Chase and a handful of wobblers. He hand signed and numbered each of these.

Funko were never able to sell these pieces directly, so the non-Chases were given to friends (mainly members of the Funko Funatic forum). Some of the Chases were also given to Funatic members, and the rest were given to Gemini Collectibles (and sold by them for $350).

BigM
HoF 2019 & CotM
HoF 2019 & CotM

Postby BigM » Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:43 pm

The wobblers are interesting too. It’s the same that there’s 12 regular and 12 glow of them but there were a couple of cases of the regular wobblers that were supposed to be released that got into the public’s hands. Not sure how entirely but I heard that they were stolen from a factory and sold off on eBay or something. There’s probably fewer than 50 of them. The “o” mentioned by Rev is what he’s talking about on the base of the wobblers. He has a pic of them both side by side somewhere to better explain it.
Mickey :SW7:
IG: Fuzzybunnyshogun
Looking for IRON MAIDEN POP PROTOS
Team Deadpool!
COTM 01/17

mongoose12

Postby mongoose12 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:21 pm

[quote="lavery01"][quote="mongoose12"]#11 was personally owned by Brian until 2016 when it became apart of my collection. No cap as the kids would say.[/quote]

Wow! Now the story of how you managed this is what I would love to hear. lol[/quote]

[img]https://preview.redd.it/wfdg64ix8jv81.jpg?auto=webp&s=792c0299bd8bf1643abff945c490a021b2249cd7[/img]

we'll have to table that for a face to face convo lol

lavery01
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby lavery01 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:34 pm

[quote="mongoose12"][quote="lavery01"][quote="mongoose12"]#11 was personally owned by Brian until 2016 when it became apart of my collection. No cap as the kids would say.[/quote]

[img]https://preview.redd.it/wfdg64ix8jv81.jpg?auto=webp&s=792c0299bd8bf1643abff945c490a021b2249cd7[/img]

we'll have to table that for a face to face convo lol[/quote]

Okay great, I’m going to hold you to it. And besides would love to meet you in person. So until the next Funko event we’re both at, it’ll be tabled. :roflmao:

Chingy

Postby Chingy » Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:45 pm

[quote="grailmonster"]Here is what I've been able to find out (thanks jacob!) - if you have additional info, feel free to correct & revise this, or add to it!:

Back in 2012, Funko had plans to produce a full line of Clockwork Orange Pops!. Since paying exorbitant amount of money for licenses wasn't as feasible of an option as it is today, they frequently used a company named Radio Days to help skirt licensing & copyright laws.

If you look at the "Clockwork Orange" logo on the Pop, it has a gear in the middle of the "o" - this is not the official Clockwork Orange logo. Part of Radio Days' effort to navigate the licensing was using a unique logo (they did this with several Pops!).

For whatever reason, Clockwork Orange's parent company took a very threatening approach with these Pops! and ordered them all destroyed or face legal action. Brian (CEO) destroyed all but 12 of Chase, 12 of the non-Chase and a handful of wobblers. He hand signed and numbered each of these.

Funko were never able to sell these pieces directly, so the non-Chases were given to friends (mainly members of the Funko Funatic forum). Some of the Chases were also given to Funatic members, and the rest were given to Gemini Collectibles (and sold by them for $350).[/quote]

Wow! I didn't know any of this. What an interesting piece of Funko history. Thank you for sharing.

mongoose12

Postby mongoose12 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:58 pm

[quote="lavery01"][quote="mongoose12"][quote="lavery01"][quote="mongoose12"]#11 was personally owned by Brian until 2016 when it became apart of my collection. No cap as the kids would say.[/quote]

Okay great, I’m going to hold you to it. And besides would love to meet you in person. So until the next Funko event we’re both at, it’ll be tabled. :roflmao:[/quote]

Deal and that’ll be Nycc!

BRiley0216

Postby BRiley0216 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:22 pm

Congratulations

Revenant-wayfarer

Postby Revenant-wayfarer » Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:45 am

Someone named grail monster just bought one. He was also the guy who bought the willy wonka, Oompa Loompa two pack with the golden ticket.
ImageImage

lavery01
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby lavery01 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:49 am

[quote="Revenant-wayfarer"]Someone named grail monster just bought one. He was also the guy who bought the willy wonka, Oompa Loompa two pack with the golden ticket.[/quote]

Not sure if you noticed, but he’s also the one that started this thread. lol

gastlecast

Postby gastlecast » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:20 am

Congrats :)
One half of the Gastlecast YouTube Channel
www.youtube.com/gastlecast
instagram: @gastlecast
twitter: @gastlecast
email: gastlecast@gmail.com

willy wonka
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby willy wonka » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:43 am

[quote="mongoose12"][quote="lavery01"][quote="mongoose12"][quote="lavery01"][quote="mongoose12"]#11 was personally owned by Brian until 2016 when it became apart of my collection. No cap as the kids would say.[/quote]

Okay great, I’m going to hold you to it. And besides would love to meet you in person. So until the next Funko event we’re both at, it’ll be tabled. :roflmao:[/quote]

Deal and that’ll be Nycc![/quote]

I would like to hear this story as well!
Just call me Joe...

ImageImage
ISO: Freddy Mad Hatter LE 1/24, Mad Hatter Protos,
SDCC 4 Pack Dorbz(Found thanks to another Funatic)

tlaloc666

Postby tlaloc666 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:16 pm

Congrats on that megaultimate grail !
Kyko here !!

Tik tok : @kyko_tj
Tijuana The Happiest Place on Earth !!

Funko events attended
Fundays 2015
Fundays 2016
Funko Fright Night
Fundays 2017
Premiere Making Fun
Fundays 2018
Fundays 2019
HQ Hollywood Opening 2019
ECCC VIrtual Con 2020
Summer Virtual Con 2020
Funkon 2021
Fundays 2021
Funko Fright Night 2 NYC 2022

Serch_na

Postby Serch_na » Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:28 pm

[quote="willy wonka"][quote="mongoose12"][quote="lavery01"][quote="mongoose12"][quote="lavery01"][quote="mongoose12"]#11 was personally owned by Brian until 2016 when it became apart of my collection. No cap as the kids would say.[/quote]

Deal and that’ll be Nycc![/quote]

I would like to hear this story as well![/quote]

Im in \:D/
NYCC 2022
Deadpool - Photography - Mexican

Jalapenopete

Postby Jalapenopete » Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:14 pm

Love this topic!! Congrats on your new gem!! love reading stories like this!!! Funko should incorporate stories into fun tv
:freddy3:

gerardogios

Postby gerardogios » Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:13 pm

Congrats on the mega holy grail! =D>
:freddy2:

Toys R Us Kid

Postby Toys R Us Kid » Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:00 am

[quote="grailmonster"]Here is what I've been able to find out (thanks jacob!) - if you have additional info, feel free to correct & revise this, or add to it!:

Funko were never able to sell these pieces directly, so the non-Chases were given to friends (mainly members of the Funko Funatic forum). Some of the Chases were also given to Funatic members, and the rest were given to Gemini Collectibles (and sold by them for $350).[/quote]

Wow this is awesome. I always wondered the story behind these and I don't think as many people know what really happened to them. I didn't know there was a full production run that was actually destroyed. Imagine what these would be had they been fully released. I guess most of the hype is for the rarity (aside from how classic of a movie Clockwork Orange is).
Jorge, here! Instagram: toys.r.us.kid
Fundays 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023 | "Making Fun" Hollywood Premier | Funko Hollywood Grand Opening
Fright Night II 2022 | Mask - O - Raid 2022 | FDO9 Sacramento | Funkon I & II

Stat32111

Postby Stat32111 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:13 am

Very interesting! Was always curious on the story. Thanks for sharing
Instagram- calebshiny

theraven00

Postby theraven00 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:42 am

I remember hearing about these a few years ago and it was like an urban myth at the time until one sold for around $12,000. I couldn't believe the price back then, but looking back that was quite a steal.lol
Poppin'

Mr Yac

Postby Mr Yac » Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:12 am

Interesting thread, I’ve always wondered why this thing was so expensive.

Revenant-wayfarer

Postby Revenant-wayfarer » Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:20 am

[quote="lavery01"][quote="Revenant-wayfarer"]Someone named grail monster just bought one. He was also the guy who bought the willy wonka, Oompa Loompa two pack with the golden ticket.[/quote]

Not sure if you noticed, but he’s also the one that started this thread. lol[/quote]

I did not lol. Whoops
ImageImage

Marvelfanatic86

Postby Marvelfanatic86 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:44 pm

Wow always heard rumors of this ! Interesting to finally learn more ! Thanks for sharing everyone and congrats on getting a piece of funko history !
▪️Funko Collector circa 2014
▪️Pop Count 2000+
▪️Comic Con Enthusiast
▪️NYCC - 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021,2022
▪️SDCC - 2019, 2022, 2023
▪️Fundays - 2019, 2022, 2023

Fnava87

Postby Fnava87 » Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:15 am

[quote="grailmonster"]Hey guys... so, I was fortunate enough to recently attain a Clockwork Orange (I'm super super excited!!!).

I was wondering if anyone who was around from 2010-2015 era can run through the full story of this Pop!
Just looking for all-encompassing details of everything involving it as I'm super fascinated by the history and story.

* How were both variants originally distributed (I've seen the threads about Gemini selling the Chase in 2013, was the non-Chase also sold through Gemini?)

* What were the licensing issues Funko faced with this piece?

* What is Radio Days and how were they involved?

* Any quirky and cool facts about it would be awesome!!

Thank you!![/quote]

Holy grail fam sheesh!!!

FunkOCD

Postby FunkOCD » Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:13 pm

[quote="Mr Yac"]Interesting thread, I’ve always wondered why this thing was so expensive.[/quote]

You're expensive but this takes the cake aside from the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory golden ticket 2-pack!
ImageImageImageImage

MPF223

Postby MPF223 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:44 am

[quote="FunkOCD"][quote="Mr Yac"]Interesting thread, I’ve always wondered why this thing was so expensive.[/quote]

You're expensive but this takes the cake aside from the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory golden ticket 2-pack![/quote]

The clockwork orange pop is a grail grail the chocolate factory golden ticket 2 pack is the holy grail I wish I could afford them lol

FunkOCD

Postby FunkOCD » Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:38 pm

[quote="MPF223"][quote="FunkOCD"][quote="Mr Yac"]Interesting thread, I’ve always wondered why this thing was so expensive.[/quote]

You're expensive but this takes the cake aside from the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory golden ticket 2-pack![/quote]

The clockwork orange pop is a grail grail the chocolate factory golden ticket 2 pack is the holy grail I wish I could afford them lol[/quote]

I expect you to own both of these one day! Heh
ImageImageImageImage

RedRoo

Postby RedRoo » Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:34 am

If i remember correctly there were 12 in total made (6 normal 6 chase) 11 ended up reaching public hands and have been making the rounds.

they were proof of concepts for the movie to try and get the contract. Sadly it fell through (until more recent times when it was acquired).
~Guy
TEAM BACON!
"With blood and rage of crimson red,

Ripped from a corpse so freshly dead,

Together with our hellish hate,

We'll burn you all--that is your fate!"

ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

funko_gtx91

Postby funko_gtx91 » Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:56 am

Congrats on this big grail……… I would like to hear other peoples story too

MPF223

Postby MPF223 » Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:35 am

[quote="FunkOCD"][quote="MPF223"][quote="FunkOCD"][quote="Mr Yac"]Interesting thread, I’ve always wondered why this thing was so expensive.[/quote]

The clockwork orange pop is a grail grail the chocolate factory golden ticket 2 pack is the holy grail I wish I could afford them lol[/quote]

I expect you to own both of these one day! Heh[/quote]

Maybe if I was fortunate enough to win the lottery haha

Return to “Pop!”