Auotgraphing Pops?

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
FunkoMatt857697

Re: Auotgraphing Pops?

Postby FunkoMatt857697 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:56 pm

What kind of pens do people use to get funko windows signed? Sharpies or Paint pens?

scullysdad

Postby scullysdad » Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:01 pm

FunkoMatt857697 wrote:What kind of pens do people use to get funko windows signed? Sharpies or Paint pens?

Definitely paint pens on Pop windows
Please Funko make Taylor Swift Pops!

Most wanted non-Taylor Pops: Carson Teva, Naru from Prey, The Last of Us TV show

FerrisGuy3

Postby FerrisGuy3 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:50 pm

I have quite a few pops signed. I find it better than getting a photo signed that just sits in a folder. I only get pops signed by people I really want to meet though
Hi, I’m Tom. Michigan Based Funatic collecting since 2014

Str3ak19

Postby Str3ak19 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:37 pm

Definitely paint pens, we usually carry a variety with us in our bag in the rare occasion the celebrity doesn't have the color we'd prefer.

digithor

Postby digithor » Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:13 am

scullysdad wrote:
FunkoMatt857697 wrote:What kind of pens do people use to get funko windows signed? Sharpies or Paint pens?

Yes, bring your own in case the person that you are getting to sign is only using a sharpie.
SDCC 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
Fundays 2018, 2019, 2021, 2023
HQ Grand Opening, ECCC Night and meetup at HQ, Hollywood Grand Opening, World Premier Making fun
Horror fanatic, GiTD collector, Star Wars
ImageImageImageImage

Str3ak19

Postby Str3ak19 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:09 am

digithor wrote:
scullysdad wrote:

Yes, bring your own in case the person that you are getting to sign is only using a sharpie.

Yep, We were having Brendan Fraser sign our mummy pops and he picked up a sharpie. I probably scared him when I stopped him so fast and handed him a paint pen lol. To be fair his had run out.

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:31 am

Stan Lee signed my Spider-Man pop in sharpie because his handlers wouldn't let me hand him a paint pen!!

lavery01
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby lavery01 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:13 pm

All of our pops were signed with sharpies. They have stood the test of time too, probably because their all in pop protectors. lol
Hi I'm Latricia \:D/

digithor

Postby digithor » Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:01 am

Str3ak19 wrote:
digithor wrote:
scullysdad wrote:

Yep, We were having Brendan Fraser sign our mummy pops and he picked up a sharpie. I probably scared him when I stopped him so fast and handed him a paint pen lol. To be fair his had run out.

That kind of makes me wonder how many they bring to a show.
SDCC 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
Fundays 2018, 2019, 2021, 2023
HQ Grand Opening, ECCC Night and meetup at HQ, Hollywood Grand Opening, World Premier Making fun
Horror fanatic, GiTD collector, Star Wars
ImageImageImageImage

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:24 pm

Paint pens are tops!

Bam808

Postby Bam808 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:46 pm

I don’t mind the autographing of Funko pops, but is that one the Funko itself or on the box, I feel whatever makes you happy in displaying, the only autograph Funko I have is Ralph Machio karate kid and I love it, it’s from 7bap which is cool because it’s authenticating.

Stat32111

Postby Stat32111 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:04 am

I always use paint pens for the window signed. I always use white as well as I think it shows the best out of any color I’ve used
Instagram- calebshiny

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:26 am

Stat32111 wrote:

I always use paint pens for the window signed. I always use white as well as I think it shows the best out of any color I’ve used

The white does Pop! LOL

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:32 am

Stat32111 wrote:

The white does Pop! LOL

Nooklin

Postby Nooklin » Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:18 am

I only have a couple and had them use paint pens that are archival quality from the art store.

Pryde72

Postby Pryde72 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:08 am

Sharpie actually make some decent paint pens that work well, but if you are talking the regular type, stay away from them.
I used to be a werewolf, but I’m alright nooooooooooow :cat:

WildBill

Postby WildBill » Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:21 am

For those that get POP!s autographed in person, do you (carefully) remove the POP and only bring the flattened box, or do you bring as is? I am thinking of getting my first in-person autograph at NYCC and would love some advice.

willy wonka
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby willy wonka » Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:13 am

WildBill wrote:For those that get POP!s autographed in person, do you (carefully) remove the POP and only bring the flattened box, or do you bring as is? I am thinking of getting my first in-person autograph at NYCC and would love some advice.

Only if I am getting on a plane and I don't have space. am driving to NYCC so if I was getting autograph I would just bring the pop in a box. I think flattening the box is safer if you are flying and don't have the space.
Just call me Joe...

ImageImage
ISO: Freddy Mad Hatter LE 1/24, Mad Hatter Protos,
SDCC 4 Pack Dorbz(Found thanks to another Funatic)

Elewitt2022

Postby Elewitt2022 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:47 am

I sent in a few pops to vShout to get some My Hero Pops signed. I included a hardstack with each pop, thinking that would make it easier for them to keep the pop protected.

Well, they broke the hardstacks somehow. They took the pops out and had the celebrities sign the flattened boxes. Then they put them back together and sent them back in soft protectors. So maybe next time (if there is a next time) I will just send them the flattened boxes. lol
Instagram: @suplexrd

:freddy3:

drtorch

Postby drtorch » Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:58 pm

At Star Wars Celebration, Pedro Pascal signed the exclusive Baby Yoda. I thought that was pretty cool!

Ohlordypops

Postby Ohlordypops » Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:02 pm

WildBill wrote:For those that get POP!s autographed in person, do you (carefully) remove the POP and only bring the flattened box, or do you bring as is? I am thinking of getting my first in-person autograph at NYCC and would love some advice.

I've taken the pop in the box to have signed, but have seen it done bother ways.
Hi! It's Lauren
IG & Twitter: Ohlordypops
Follow me on Instagram: @ohlordypops

Ohlordypops

Postby Ohlordypops » Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:05 pm

Elewitt2022 wrote:I sent in a few pops to vShout to get some My Hero Pops signed. I included a hardstack with each pop, thinking that would make it easier for them to keep the pop protected.

Well, they broke the hardstacks somehow. They took the pops out and had the celebrities sign the flattened boxes. Then they put them back together and sent them back in soft protectors. So maybe next time (if there is a next time) I will just send them the flattened boxes. lol

That stinks about your hard stacks. I have some of my MHA collection signed and they are some of the nicest people when we got to meet them.
Hi! It's Lauren
IG & Twitter: Ohlordypops
Follow me on Instagram: @ohlordypops

daOCHO

Postby daOCHO » Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:19 am

Elewitt2022 wrote:I sent in a few pops to vShout to get some My Hero Pops signed. I included a hardstack with each pop, thinking that would make it easier for them to keep the pop protected.

Alot of mail-in services prefer to have the POP boxes arrived flat. They have limited space when transporting the mailed in items from their offices to the private signing destination. I’m surprised that vShout didn’t list instructions on how to send in specific mail-in items.

Twitter: @CCM8
Instagram: casey_aka_daocho

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:58 am

Paint pens in white or yellow or orange usually Pop!

Dajaus

Postby Dajaus » Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:19 pm

I love autos... they make the pop POP lol

akagalar

Postby akagalar » Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:21 am

I usually use deco or sharpie oil-based paint pens
Image Image

randig

Postby randig » Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:30 pm

I’ve got a few that I’ve sent in the PSA, it’s been like a month but can’t wait to get them back!
Fundays: 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019

ImageImage

BRiley0216

Postby BRiley0216 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:40 pm

dolphinax2 wrote:
Ginzo1622 wrote:
GarrettCipp wrote:
At an Avengers premiere my wife snuck in a OOB Thor into the signing area and we got Chris Hemsworth to sign the back of the head and take a picture with it. It’s such a sloppy signature because the bumps of the hair but it was such an awesome memory!

It's definitely a personal grail for you

That is so awesome, congrats

That's really awesome

Pryde72

Postby Pryde72 » Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:34 pm

With a huge thanks to a couple of people, I was today able to add Oscar Isaac and John Rhys-Davies to my collection.

Remember when you were a little kid and would wait for the postman to drop off the mail? (Ok well I did lol)

I am super excited for my upcoming mail calls
I used to be a werewolf, but I’m alright nooooooooooow :cat:

Anthonybisi

Postby Anthonybisi » Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:28 pm

Elewitt2022 wrote:I have been collecting Funko for a few years now, and I got my first autographed Pops as part of a completist effort for my Scott Pilgrim set.

And then for a little while, I started picking up some random autographed Pops from local shops who could vouch for the signatures, and then I sent away items to autograph companies when they had interesting celebrities I could find Pops for. Eventually I even bought some on ebay, although these felt the most sketchy, with or without the various authentication stickers. [-o<

But ultimately, I decided that having an item signed in front of me, personalized with my own name right there on the box was the most satisfying. Each signed pop has a story now, and when its displayed on my shelf, its so much more meaningful! I understand that the personalization makes it less valuable, but it can't always be about resale, right? 8-[

Its definitely harder to get, but there are a few cons where you can get up close and request signatures, so I just keep an eye our for who will be visiting, and bring my own pop to be signed. :bounce:

I am curious how others on the board feel about autographs in general, and about personalization especially.

Also, if others know of good places to find signings, please share. I live in Atlanta, so Dragon Con is a great source for me each year!

Autograph funkos are amazing but personally I rather get a funko pop signed in person to make it mean so much more. I had my gold SpongeBob funko pop get signed by Tom Kenny yesterday it was worth every second would rather that so much more then buying a signature without ever meeting the actor themselves.

Bad Motherfunko

Postby Bad Motherfunko » Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:02 pm

Elewitt2022 wrote:I have been collecting Funko for a few years now, and I got my first autographed Pops as part of a completist effort for my Scott Pilgrim set.

And then for a little while, I started picking up some random autographed Pops from local shops who could vouch for the signatures, and then I sent away items to autograph companies when they had interesting celebrities I could find Pops for. Eventually I even bought some on ebay, although these felt the most sketchy, with or without the various authentication stickers. [-o<

But ultimately, I decided that having an item signed in front of me, personalized with my own name right there on the box was the most satisfying. Each signed pop has a story now, and when its displayed on my shelf, its so much more meaningful! I understand that the personalization makes it less valuable, but it can't always be about resale, right? 8-[

Its definitely harder to get, but there are a few cons where you can get up close and request signatures, so I just keep an eye our for who will be visiting, and bring my own pop to be signed. :bounce:

I am curious how others on the board feel about autographs in general, and about personalization especially.

Also, if others know of good places to find signings, please share. I live in Atlanta, so Dragon Con is a great source for me each year!

I feel autographs add that that unique aspect to collecting. No one autograph is EXACTLY the same so it makes it rarer in my opinion. Which can make a pop even more satisfying, especially when your name is on it.

Currently I am trying to get my Avatar set signed, which is a major undertaking but I love seeing them up there as part of my collection. Makes it more mine and more special. I could never imagine selling them since I was so careful choosing quotes that resonate to me.

Now my question is, does anyone get persnickity about placement of quotes vs where the auto goes? I like my autos on the front window while I have quotes on the side. Its so the figure doesn't get blocked up by quotes.
Avatar Protos: https://i.imgur.com/iLdXwes.jpg
Collecting Funko since 2012.
Main Collections: Anything Avatar or Game of Thrones/House of the Dragon
Events Attended: Funko Hollywood Opening, Funkon '21, Fundays '22, SDCC '19/'22
Proud member of Funko Fiends (PSW) and The United Funko Family <3
Instagrams: @bad.motherfunko & @lollipop_customs

ISO Avatar the Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra Protos

Wiselordship

Postby Wiselordship » Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:34 am

I started with a few from the Dallas Fan Expo. No it is like a goal to get certain collections all signed. It is just a great thing to go and chat with the actors. Also, with out kids they love hearing the voices and interacting with the VAs of the shows they love.

First was Ricco Fajardo that wife asked me if I was going to. I debated it and then we decided to get line. He was so personable and now we try to swing by when we see he is at a con.

Latest was Sonny Strait who I found out drew before doing voice acting. So he actually put a Krillin and Usopp drawing on the side of their pops. It was just the chef kiss to the signature.

Elewitt2022

Postby Elewitt2022 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:29 pm

Thanks to my daughter sticking it out through some tough logistics issue at NYCC on sunday, we were able to get Oscar Isaac, Brendan Fraser and Christopher Lloyd to add to the autographed pops!

This year I have learned that sometimes it takes a team to really keep this collecting habit going....
Instagram: @suplexrd

:freddy3:

Goatedfunko

Autograph or not to autograph? That is the question!

Postby Goatedfunko » Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:29 pm

For me personally I love the look of a well setup auto on my pops that I get myself. Currently trying to finish my Hall H collection of autograph pops but missing the Freddy signature and the Star Wars (never officially released) pop.

Do you like autographs or without?
Do you have any autograph collections going?
Central California Crew (of one :freddy3: )
The nurse!

SDCC: 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
NYCC: 2022
Fundays: TBD

Bad Motherfunko

Re: Autograph or not to autograph? That is the question!

Postby Bad Motherfunko » Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:56 pm

Goatedfunko wrote:For me personally I love the look of a well setup auto on my pops that I get myself. Currently trying to finish my Hall H collection of autograph pops but missing the Freddy signature and the Star Wars (never officially released) pop.

Do you like autographs or without?
Do you have any autograph collections going?

I say if you can get an autograph, do so. I personally am trying to get my whole Avatar collection signed at the moment.
Avatar Protos: https://i.imgur.com/iLdXwes.jpg
Collecting Funko since 2012.
Main Collections: Anything Avatar or Game of Thrones/House of the Dragon
Events Attended: Funko Hollywood Opening, Funkon '21, Fundays '22, SDCC '19/'22
Proud member of Funko Fiends (PSW) and The United Funko Family <3
Instagrams: @bad.motherfunko & @lollipop_customs

ISO Avatar the Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra Protos

zachattack

Postby zachattack » Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:59 pm

I only have 1 Pop that is autographed. I got a Arkham Asylum Batman signed by Kevin Conroy a few years ago. It'll never leave my collection. RIP.
Sincerely,
Zach Attack!
Funatic of the Month for March 2024
Photo-A-Day Challenge December 2023 "Movie Night"
FunkoSodaSaturday Winner April 2022

DFWFunkoHunter

Postby DFWFunkoHunter » Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:10 pm

It’s all personal preference. I prefer to get autographs on things I can frame easily to save space but that’s just me. I do have a few pieces that are signed but they came that way when I purchased them like fluffy dotd and Majin Vegeta.

That’s why I love collectibles so much because we all vary on how we collect :)

Geescube
HoF 2016 & CotM
HoF 2016 & CotM

Postby Geescube » Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:21 pm

I def strive to have at least ONE pop signed by my fave actors.

scullysdad

Postby scullysdad » Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:35 pm

I do collect autographs, but I don’t have a lot of signed Pops. I can’t really explain it but it has to hit me a certain way for me to want a Pop signed. It has to ‘feel right’ for me to get one signed which I know sounds weird.

My Stranger Things autographs are all on photos, but I do regret never getting a Millie Bobbie Brown signed Pop.
Please Funko make Taylor Swift Pops!

Most wanted non-Taylor Pops: Carson Teva, Naru from Prey, The Last of Us TV show

Goatedfunko

Postby Goatedfunko » Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:23 am

zachattack wrote:I only have 1 Pop that is autographed. I got a Arkham Asylum Batman signed by Kevin Conroy a few years ago. It'll never leave my collection. RIP.

Wow that’s a great pickup!
Central California Crew (of one :freddy3: )
The nurse!

SDCC: 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
NYCC: 2022
Fundays: TBD

Return to “Pop!”