Auotgraphing Pops?

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
Elewitt2022

Auotgraphing Pops?

Postby Elewitt2022 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:13 am

I have been collecting Funko for a few years now, and I got my first autographed Pops as part of a completist effort for my Scott Pilgrim set.

And then for a little while, I started picking up some random autographed Pops from local shops who could vouch for the signatures, and then I sent away items to autograph companies when they had interesting celebrities I could find Pops for. Eventually I even bought some on ebay, although these felt the most sketchy, with or without the various authentication stickers. [-o<

But ultimately, I decided that having an item signed in front of me, personalized with my own name right there on the box was the most satisfying. Each signed pop has a story now, and when its displayed on my shelf, its so much more meaningful! I understand that the personalization makes it less valuable, but it can't always be about resale, right? 8-[

Its definitely harder to get, but there are a few cons where you can get up close and request signatures, so I just keep an eye our for who will be visiting, and bring my own pop to be signed. :bounce:

I am curious how others on the board feel about autographs in general, and about personalization especially.

Also, if others know of good places to find signings, please share. I live in Atlanta, so Dragon Con is a great source for me each year!
Instagram: @suplexrd

:freddy3:

BRiley0216

Re: Auotgraphing Pops?

Postby BRiley0216 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:27 am

Some like them, I am OOB so no go for me

Fugly16

Postby Fugly16 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:37 am

I like sigs, only got a few but when presented with the opportunity I say why not.

SuperRutger

Postby SuperRutger » Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:50 am

It is so great getting things signed. I started with my signature pops little more then a year ago when the world opend up again.
It is so fulfilling to meet your favorite actors and getting them signed.
I started working at the comic cons in the UK now I can get more things signed and get more time with the actors. It is way more fun.

DrunkoPop

Postby DrunkoPop » Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:57 am

I personally don’t collect anything autograph unless I meet the celeb or talent. I don’t even like to get my pops signed. I only have 1 signed and that was at the very beginning of me collecting.
Image Image
ImageImage

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:20 am

[quote="DrunkoPop"]I personally don’t collect anything autograph unless I meet the celeb or talent. I don’t even like to get my pops signed. I only have 1 signed and that was at the very beginning of me collecting.[/quote]

I feel the same way. I have a few autographed items.
ImageImageImage

Some people call me the orange hoodie

ISO funko Force creature from black lagoon chase Glow in the dark

heymrosario
SCCA 2023
SCCA 2023

Postby heymrosario » Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:22 am

I think it's more than just getting a pop signed. It's the moment you're creating memories and experiences that only you can tell that story to your friends and family. Having the signed pop is a good "evidence," but your story with it makes the pop ten times better and more valuable.

I personally have a few and I was fortunate enough to get my first pops signed by The Boys cast and John Cena. This was my first time getting anything signed and it was well worth it! I'll cherish every moment I had with them even if it was just for a brief moment.

As far as resales go, these pops aren't leaving my collection. The stories behind them makes it a valuable ad priceless at the same time

Hey there, I'm Marc! (•◡•)
Collector since '14 • Photographer • Designer
Follow me on Instagram: @heymrosario

lavery01
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby lavery01 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:25 am

We’ve gotten a few autographs pops in our collection, they were all signed right in front of us, so yeah you’re right about the satisfaction you feel when that happens. My most prized and favorite autographed is our batmobile pop ride signed by Adam West, he was a joy to meet in person. We have never bought any autographed pops outside of the cons we attend, I prefer it that way.
Hi I'm Latricia \:D/

scullysdad

Postby scullysdad » Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:45 am

I like getting Pops signed and I am not the kind of person who needs to see it signed in front of me. I do go to plenty of cons but most of the interactions are not memorable enough for it to make a difference - other than Robert Sheehan, that guy was one of the most awesome celebrities I have met.

I usually get 11x14 photos signed but in some cases I just prefer Pops. I thought it would be cool to get all of the cast of The Umbrella Academy to sign their Pops, but after getting Allison and Klaus the pandemic happened and I don't think any of them has made an appearance recently. I also did send-ins for private signings for the cast of Hawkeye on Pops, I am excited to get them back (I made the mistake of doing one order for Renner, Hailee Steinfeld, and Florence Pugh and Florence has not signed yet so I am waiting for them all).
Please Funko make Taylor Swift Pops!

Most wanted non-Taylor Pops: Carson Teva, Naru from Prey, The Last of Us TV show

mongoose12

Postby mongoose12 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:53 am

i've never been a fan of this but to each his own...the only autograph i have is stan lee on a stan lee pop box. had to make an exception for the goat.

DrunkoPop

Postby DrunkoPop » Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:35 am

[quote="hpellot"][quote="DrunkoPop"]I personally don’t collect anything autograph unless I meet the celeb or talent. I don’t even like to get my pops signed. I only have 1 signed and that was at the very beginning of me collecting.[/quote]

I feel the same way. I have a few autographed items.[/quote]

I’m not advocating for fake autos out there but it’s simply not my thing.
Image Image
ImageImage

FunkoEmu

Postby FunkoEmu » Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:25 pm

[quote="Elewitt2022"]I have been collecting Funko for a few years now, and I got my first autographed Pops as part of a completist effort for my Scott Pilgrim set.

And then for a little while, I started picking up some random autographed Pops from local shops who could vouch for the signatures, and then I sent away items to autograph companies when they had interesting celebrities I could find Pops for. Eventually I even bought some on ebay, although these felt the most sketchy, with or without the various authentication stickers. [-o<

But ultimately, I decided that having an item signed in front of me, personalized with my own name right there on the box was the most satisfying. Each signed pop has a story now, and when its displayed on my shelf, its so much more meaningful! I understand that the personalization makes it less valuable, but it can't always be about resale, right? 8-[

Its definitely harder to get, but there are a few cons where you can get up close and request signatures, so I just keep an eye our for who will be visiting, and bring my own pop to be signed. :bounce:

I am curious how others on the board feel about autographs in general, and about personalization especially.

Also, if others know of good places to find signings, please share. I live in Atlanta, so Dragon Con is a great source for me each year![/quote]
Most of my collection is autographed now (I'm over 180 signed pops now - 165 from people I met in person). I don't collect much besides ones to get signed. Funny enough I'm just outside Atlanta (Buford) and will be getting a few signed at DragonCon myself.

As for places to get them signed, I did just see that ATL Comic Convention will be back in February. I haven't heard if Fandemic will be back in Atlanta this year. And if you're into horror, there's always Days of the Dead.

If you're into wrestling, Mick Foley will be signing at Plastic Empire (in Marietta) on September 9th from 4pm-7pm. They do in-store signings every other month or so.

If you're into traveling for cons, FanboyExpo in Knoxville isn't too far away and they get a decent guestlist. It looks like Huntsville is starting to get some bigger names too, so hopefully they become a good day-trip con.
ImageImage
SDCC: 2023, 2024
DragonCon: 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
NYCC: 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024

FunkoEmu

Postby FunkoEmu » Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:31 pm

[quote="heymrosario"]I think it's more than just getting a pop signed. It's the moment you're creating memories and experiences that only you can tell that story to your friends and family. Having the signed pop is a good "evidence," but your story with it makes the pop ten times better and more valuable.

I personally have a few and I was fortunate enough to get my first pops signed by The Boys cast and John Cena. This was my first time getting anything signed and it was well worth it! I'll cherish every moment I had with them even if it was just for a brief moment.

As far as resales go, these pops aren't leaving my collection. The stories behind them makes it a valuable ad priceless at the same time[/quote]
Exactly how I feel about them!
ImageImage
SDCC: 2023, 2024
DragonCon: 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
NYCC: 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024

Esko5150

Postby Esko5150 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:51 pm

I've gotten a good amount signed in person whenever I have the chance. Mostly horror pops due to the amount of horror conventions in my area of LA. I'd love to get more but it seems that with a newborn now my con days are limited.

I have however purchased a few online from reputable stores. For example, got a Kevin James signed "Mooby" pop from his official online store. Also got Christopher Sabat signed Vegeta pops from a store where he did a signing from, same as a Sean Schemmel signed Goku from a signing as well. If I know the store and it's from an official signing event I don't need proof of authenticity. I'd like to be physically present when getting an auto on a pop but for some of my favorite characters like Goku & Vegeta I'm happy just having a signature from my all-time favorite voice actors.
Hello I'm ESKO!
900+ Pops, Mystery Minis, Sodas & Other Funko Products
Mayor of Angrytown

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

aprilyoufools

Postby aprilyoufools » Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:04 pm

[quote="heymrosario"]I think it's more than just getting a pop signed. It's the moment you're creating memories and experiences that only you can tell that story to your friends and family. Having the signed pop is a good "evidence," but your story with it makes the pop ten times better and more valuable.

As far as resales go, these pops aren't leaving my collection. The stories behind them makes it a valuable ad priceless at the same time[/quote]

Exactly how I feel, too. Rex's segment and other prominent guests in the "Making Fun" documentary (like Jason David Frank and Walter Jones from MMPR) said it all. Getting a POP signed has become part of a con experience now. There have been a couple instances where we would've loved to get an autograph from a guest at a convention but they didn't have a POP released yet at the time.
she/they • ARMY | MOA | Bunnies/Tokki | FEARNOT

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:17 am

[quote="DrunkoPop"][quote="hpellot"][quote="DrunkoPop"]I personally don’t collect anything autograph unless I meet the celeb or talent. I don’t even like to get my pops signed. I only have 1 signed and that was at the very beginning of me collecting.[/quote]

I’m not advocating for fake autos out there but it’s simply not my thing.[/quote]

I did almost buy one recently of B Real but decided not to.
ImageImageImage

Some people call me the orange hoodie

ISO funko Force creature from black lagoon chase Glow in the dark

pen2xgp

Postby pen2xgp » Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:31 pm

I agree, I like having the interaction with the Talent than just straight up buying a signature with nothing else. It does mean when getting any sigs you gotta be extra careful with the boxes and carry good pens.

MPF223

Postby MPF223 » Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:05 pm

I have around 100 autographed pops I personally love it. It takes collecting to a whole new level :)

Esko5150

Postby Esko5150 » Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:12 pm

[quote="MPF223"]I have around 100 autographed pops I personally love it. It takes collecting to a whole new level :)[/quote]

We're gonna need a picture of those please lol lol lol
Hello I'm ESKO!
900+ Pops, Mystery Minis, Sodas & Other Funko Products
Mayor of Angrytown

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

jcrook

Postby jcrook » Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:15 pm

[quote="Fugly16"]I like sigs, only got a few but when presented with the opportunity I say why not.[/quote]

Thats how I feel too. I try if I see any of the talent will be at cons I'm planning on attending.
Funko Fundays 2017
FunKon 2021
SDCC 2017, 2018, 2022

I go by Crook

DrunkoPop

Postby DrunkoPop » Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:23 pm

[quote="hpellot"][quote="DrunkoPop"][quote="hpellot"][quote="DrunkoPop"]I personally don’t collect anything autograph unless I meet the celeb or talent. I don’t even like to get my pops signed. I only have 1 signed and that was at the very beginning of me collecting.[/quote]

I’m not advocating for fake autos out there but it’s simply not my thing.[/quote]

I did almost buy one recently of B Real but decided not to.[/quote]

Before 2018 I was big on getting autos. I would meet the celeb or talent. Now it’s not the same anymore. I don’t feel like going through all the hassle.
Image Image
ImageImage

willy wonka
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby willy wonka » Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:36 pm

Just certain ones. I have some Rick and Morty ones signed. Also will be getting Futurama ones signed this weekend
Just call me Joe...

ImageImage
ISO: Freddy Mad Hatter LE 1/24, Mad Hatter Protos,
SDCC 4 Pack Dorbz(Found thanks to another Funatic)

nerdandcheese

Postby nerdandcheese » Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:09 pm

I have a few Pops that I’ve gotten signed at conventions. They look pretty great signed with various colored paint pens.
Larry
IG: nerdandcheese

fieldsy32

Postby fieldsy32 » Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:06 pm

Having something signed in front of you means so much more! It’s satisfying to see the celeb personalize it too!
Eric, decently tall guy.

2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023 Fundays
Funko HQ Grand Opening
2015, 2017, 2018, 2023 FDO
2022 Fright Night

BRiley0216

Postby BRiley0216 » Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:46 pm

[quote="fieldsy32"]Having something signed in front of you means so much more! It’s satisfying to see the celeb personalize it too![/quote]
Oh you collect sigs too?

Mr Yac

Postby Mr Yac » Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:01 pm

i'm pretty new to the signing thing, but i have a couple now and they're pretty fun to collect. i never cared about celebrities but i do find myself scanning the guest section of cons a lot more frequently now.

digithor

Postby digithor » Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:29 am

Getting a pop signed in person is much more rewarding, that's what I would be going for if I was to collect more pops for autographs.
SDCC 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
Fundays 2018, 2019, 2021, 2023
HQ Grand Opening, ECCC Night and meetup at HQ, Hollywood Grand Opening, World Premier Making fun
Horror fanatic, GiTD collector, Star Wars
ImageImageImageImage

Marvel_LS_02

Postby Marvel_LS_02 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:00 am

I barely started getting pops autographs. Temuera at Star Wars Celebration. That one I got personalized. Then at SDCC I got Bryce to sign a flocked Inoske. That one i opted out of personalization.... didn't want it...even though I'm never getting rid of it. I think if your want one signed go for it; same goes for if you want it personalized. Yeah I'd rather get it signed in person so at the same time your meeting the actual person and have a brief interaction.

Marvel_LS_02

Postby Marvel_LS_02 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:05 am

[quote="Mr Yac"]i'm pretty new to the signing thing, but i have a couple now and they're pretty fun to collect. i never cared about celebrities but i do find myself scanning the guest section of cons a lot more frequently now.[/quote]

I started scanning them too now this year. I got an auto for my niece back in Nov, and when Star Wars Celebration and SDCC came around when I went i ended getting a pops signed for myself. Before then I'd just collect pops never really thinking getting any signed so I never really looked to see who was on the list or at the exhibit hall booths signing til then

gastlecast

Postby gastlecast » Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:41 pm

My wife and I love getting our pops autographed. We like the experience of getting the pops autographed. We have so many fun stories from over the years!
One half of the Gastlecast YouTube Channel
www.youtube.com/gastlecast
instagram: @gastlecast
twitter: @gastlecast
email: gastlecast@gmail.com

daOCHO

Postby daOCHO » Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:42 am

On autograph POPs I tend to focus on fandoms that I have a string interest in. If they prefer to personalize I am okay with that. With the cons coming back, I try to take opportunity if various guests show up.

Twitter: @CCM8
Instagram: casey_aka_daocho

digithor

Postby digithor » Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:08 am

[quote="Mr Yac"]i'm pretty new to the signing thing, but i have a couple now and they're pretty fun to collect. i never cared about celebrities but i do find myself scanning the guest section of cons a lot more frequently now.[/quote]

Some of those prices are just so much though at the conventions, I've seen them easily be double compared to when the same person was at a local convention doing autographs.
SDCC 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
Fundays 2018, 2019, 2021, 2023
HQ Grand Opening, ECCC Night and meetup at HQ, Hollywood Grand Opening, World Premier Making fun
Horror fanatic, GiTD collector, Star Wars
ImageImageImageImage

MPF223

Postby MPF223 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:35 am

Im sure I have played a role in your decision on it lol

Mr Yac

Postby Mr Yac » Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:00 pm

[quote="MPF223"]

Im sure I have played a role in your decision on it lol[/quote]

you're my inspiration in many areas of how i live my life.

squidward

Postby squidward » Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:40 pm

I have very few autographed items and the ones I have came that way. I do not seek or pay for celebrity autographs, so I think I'm a bit of an outlier. I see more and more people getting their Pops autographed, especially for anime. It's just not for me.

Actually, upon reflection, the only things that I have been excited to have autographed are from Funko. It's great to have Mike Becker or Brian Mariotti or the social media team sign something. It does add to the memory of the event.
Member of TUFF. Attended: Fundays 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, Virtual 2021, 2022. HQ Grand Opening. Hollywood Grand Opening. Making Fun Premiere. Funkon 1 & 2. Fright Night 1. Multiple SDCC, NYCC, ECCC, Fugitive Parties. Lover of Funko Artist Sketches.

MPF223

Postby MPF223 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:20 pm

[quote="squidward"]I have very few autographed items and the ones I have came that way. I do not seek or pay for celebrity autographs, so I think I'm a bit of an outlier. I see more and more people getting their Pops autographed, especially for anime. It's just not for me.

Actually, upon reflection, the only things that I have been excited to have autographed are from Funko. It's great to have Mike Becker or Brian Mariotti or the social media team sign something. It does add to the memory of the event.[/quote]

I believe autographs hold a lot of meaning for multiple reasons one of my main reasons for collecting is the roles that the actors have played brought me joy and this is one way of returning the favor by supporting them

funko_gtx91

Postby funko_gtx91 » Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:02 am

I personally like meeting the celebrity face to face and have them sign it…… it’s the experience for me

Stat32111

Postby Stat32111 » Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:06 am

I have a couple pops signed by celebrities. Both were in person and they are very special! Will never get rid of them
Instagram- calebshiny

MPF223

Postby MPF223 » Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:22 pm

[quote="Stat32111"]I have a couple pops signed by celebrities. Both were in person and they are very special! Will never get rid of them[/quote]

Its an awesome experience to get them signed in person I really do enjoy the interaction with the celebrity

GarrettCipp

Postby GarrettCipp » Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:32 pm

[quote="BRiley0216"]Some like them, I am OOB so no go for me[/quote]

At an Avengers premiere my wife snuck in a OOB Thor into the signing area and we got Chris Hemsworth to sign the back of the head and take a picture with it. It’s such a sloppy signature because the bumps of the hair but it was such an awesome memory!
Hi, I’m Garrett!
First Pop 2014
ISO: Hong Kong Phooey. Fred Flintstone. White Ranger
Insta @ambadassador

:drum:

Return to “Pop!”