Anyone buy commons any more?

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
fbingha

Re: Anyone buy commons any more?

Postby fbingha » Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:50 pm

I would happily buy commons in any of the lines that interest me... Just make them!

muscleheadfunkopop

Postby muscleheadfunkopop » Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:00 pm

Yea... :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:
Funko Funatic Shoutouts! #9
Fundays 2014◇2015◇2016◇2017◇2018◇2019◇2021V◇2022◇2023
FDO6 SF◇FDO7 Sackanda & LA◇FDO8 SF◇FDO9 Sackanda
Fright Night◇HQ Grand Opening◇Making Fun Movie Premiere◇FunKon Hollywood◇Fright Night II

Instagram: @muscleheadfunkopop #SODAWasted
Facebook: Iz Salazar

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:18 am

Bought a few for gifts this year!

daOCHO

Postby daOCHO » Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:27 pm

If the commons are great looking molds that fit my fandom, definitely. Especially in music & sports

Twitter: @CCM8
Instagram: casey_aka_daocho

scullysdad

Postby scullysdad » Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:12 pm

I’m trying to put my completionist days behind me so in 2023, other than my main lines, I don’t think I will pick up a ton of commons. I love commons but for space I need to cut back and when there are two versions of a character I have to make a choice. I just did that with Jujutsu Kaisen where I bought the Funko Shop Nobara so I am passing on the common even though it’s a different mold and an awesome looking Pop.
Please Funko make Taylor Swift Pops!

Most wanted non-Taylor Pops: Carson Teva, Naru from Prey, The Last of Us TV show

Mario Wario

Postby Mario Wario » Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:12 pm

I still buy commons. For instance, the recent No Way Home common Pops! are awesome, so I ordered some.
:freddy1:

DG_FunkPoppa

Postby DG_FunkPoppa » Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:44 pm

brinkleytroy wrote:I totally have nothing against buying common funkos. We are all mostly in it to get things that we like and think are cool. Me personally now I’ve run out of room and are trying to only get rare funkos of lines I collect.

I agree with you! Same here. I have a few commons of pops that I really like but I’m starting to run out of room.

Meowmix4

Postby Meowmix4 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:12 pm

I try to be very selective when it comes to commons. They can easily fill a lot of space.

There’s also the potential for variants. I skipped the recent Espeon because I have a feeling it will show up again in another form.

Trendkill24hr

Postby Trendkill24hr » Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:35 pm

There’s quite a few commons that are my favorites, like the Adventures of Gummy Bears pops and Dinosaurs. However I’d like to see some variants like flocked and GITD to make them a bit more special. That being said, I’m not too hasty to buy commons incase variants come out down the road
"Being a geek means never having to play it cool about how much you like something" Simon Pegg

Call me C.J. :)
Events: Fundays 2022 & 2023, Fright Night 2022, FDO9
Collection: 372 pieces as of 03/25/24
ISO Proto: Paka Paka Dragon

Rantt

Postby Rantt » Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:46 pm

Honestly I realised recently most common and exclusives looks almost identical so I rather get those exclusive and passes on the commons..
:freddy2: Kent Chua

ISO: AstroBoy Protos, Maleficent Protos, Funko Freddy Protos.

digithor

Postby digithor » Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:33 am

Trendkill24hr wrote:There’s quite a few commons that are my favorites, like the Adventures of Gummy Bears pops and Dinosaurs. However I’d like to see some variants like flocked and GITD to make them a bit more special. That being said, I’m not too hasty to buy commons incase variants come out down the road

You can always make the commons into the versions you'd want until/if they make those. Sometimes it's cheaper that way.
SDCC 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
Fundays 2018, 2019, 2021, 2023
HQ Grand Opening, ECCC Night and meetup at HQ, Hollywood Grand Opening, World Premier Making fun
Horror fanatic, GiTD collector, Star Wars
ImageImageImageImage

2017fanatic

Postby 2017fanatic » Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:04 am

The last common set I purchased was the HOTD, I still see people pick up commons though when I’m shopping around town.
Funatic of all things Funko!!

Ginzo1622

Postby Ginzo1622 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:28 am

I buy commons but usually for a discount.
Fundays 2022 - Proto Robots
Fright Night 2022
Fundays 2023 - Protomoa Wolves

Don't stand in my way!!!

:whdat:

PopPChulo

Postby PopPChulo » Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:41 am

I stay away from commons whereas I used to buy them but the boatload and here’s why: we’ve seen a ENORMOUS decrease in the frequency of vaulted items, molds, exclusives and for me it has decreased the collectibility and rush of feeling like I have to get it asap. It’s cool for casual collectors but for me, space getting tight lol
PopPChulo

Funko Enthusiast/Creative Idea Expert/Music Analyst/Pop Culture Geek :freddy3:

"Creativity is all around you.. How you chose to use that creativity is at your disgression" - Pop-P Chulo

jagpop

Postby jagpop » Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:52 am

PopPChulo wrote:I stay away from commons whereas I used to buy them but the boatload and here’s why: we’ve seen a ENORMOUS decrease in the frequency of vaulted items, molds, exclusives and for me it has decreased the collectibility and rush of feeling like I have to get it asap. It’s cool for casual collectors but for me, space getting tight lol

Amen to this. Space is almost non-existent. Like you mentioned, there are so many commons that I would love to add, but no space to display and storage is getting even tighter.

I am not in danger, I am the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!

islander671

Postby islander671 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:43 pm

Elewitt2022 wrote:Am I the only one?

Or have other collectors started to only buy stickered, exclusive, Con related, specialty, etc...?

It is rare that I see a common pop! that I feel like I need to add to my collection. I feel like I have to be extra choosey because I just don't have that much space anymore.

Anyone else feel the same way? Am I missing out on something? :-k

I will be honest I used to buy anything and everything that interested me and it did not matter if it was common, stickered, etc. But now due to the lack of space I have been a bit more selective. I mean if the common doesnt have too many variations then I would just pick it up.
ImageImage

Trendkill24hr

Postby Trendkill24hr » Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:19 pm

digithor wrote:
Trendkill24hr wrote:There’s quite a few commons that are my favorites, like the Adventures of Gummy Bears pops and Dinosaurs. However I’d like to see some variants like flocked and GITD to make them a bit more special. That being said, I’m not too hasty to buy commons incase variants come out down the road

You can always make the commons into the versions you'd want until/if they make those. Sometimes it's cheaper that way.

I’m not very crafty myself, but I have thought about it
"Being a geek means never having to play it cool about how much you like something" Simon Pegg

Trendkill24hr

Postby Trendkill24hr » Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:21 pm

PopPChulo wrote:I stay away from commons whereas I used to buy them but the boatload and here’s why: we’ve seen a ENORMOUS decrease in the frequency of vaulted items, molds, exclusives and for me it has decreased the collectibility and rush of feeling like I have to get it asap. It’s cool for casual collectors but for me, space getting tight lol

Space getting tight for me too, most of my commons are in a storage unit, and even that space is almost full

jondru

Postby jondru » Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:13 pm

ofc... many characters I enjoy just have a common
Andrew

PopPChulo

Postby PopPChulo » Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:16 pm

jagpop wrote:

Amen to this. Space is almost non-existent. Like you mentioned, there are so many commons that I would love to add, but no space to display and storage is getting even tighter.

Yeah I’m severely running out of space and at this point, if I’m trading off space - I need value. That way I can clear space if necessary. That’s why I have to target things I know that are short print and I really can deal with the commons
PopPChulo

"Creativity is all around you.. How you chose to use that creativity is at your disgression" - Pop-P Chulo

Gsanch28

Postby Gsanch28 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:20 pm

I picked up all the commons for the Batman movie and also the ginger bread common super heroes this year. I always try and pick up all the simpsons funkos commons and all. I have a lot of the Batman commons also.
:freddy1: " I don't know anything with certainty, but seeing the stars makes me dream"

Calico88

Postby Calico88 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:20 pm

only my favs anime

PopPChulo

Postby PopPChulo » Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:53 am

Trendkill24hr wrote:

Space getting tight for me too, most of my commons are in a storage unit, and even that space is almost full

Yeah, same - that’s why at this point if I pick up anything; has to be of value so if i want the space back I can get it back lol I think that’s why vaulting is important because it gives the opportunity for older collectors to make space and newer collectors to pick up things they love.
PopPChulo

jagpop

Postby jagpop » Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:47 pm

Gsanch28 wrote:I picked up all the commons for the Batman movie and also the ginger bread common super heroes this year. I always try and pick up all the simpsons funkos commons and all. I have a lot of the Batman commons also.

Batman anything is always a must. This is the one line that commons are an automatic buy. More Bats!

I am not in danger, I am the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!

FunkoholicsAnonymous

Postby FunkoholicsAnonymous » Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:36 am

I personally don’t, to help keep my collection low, I try not to get commons. Usually exclusives and above.
:freddy2:
Hi, my name is Erl
TUFF crew
IG’s:
@funkoholics_anonymous
@operationpop (charity work)

SDCC Funko Pop Up Shop 2017
Funkon 2021
Fundays 2022
Fright Night 2022
Mask-O-Raid 2022
Fundays 2023

Trendkill24hr

Postby Trendkill24hr » Mon Dec 26, 2022 3:05 pm

PopPChulo wrote:
Trendkill24hr wrote:

Yeah, same - that’s why at this point if I pick up anything; has to be of value so if i want the space back I can get it back lol I think that’s why vaulting is important because it gives the opportunity for older collectors to make space and newer collectors to pick up things they love.

That’s true, I’ve totally dug out pops I bought at retail that are worth over $100 now

PopPChulo

Postby PopPChulo » Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:11 pm

Trendkill24hr wrote:
PopPChulo wrote:
Trendkill24hr wrote:

That’s true, I’ve totally dug out pops I bought at retail that are worth over $100 now

In my opinion, that’s the best part of Funko collecting. It’s when you go and buy something strictly because you’ll love it; pull it out years later and find that it’s worth 10x the amount you paid even when your not going to sell it. It’s just the fact that something you got because you are passionate about now has extra value on your investment haha
PopPChulo

Calico88

Postby Calico88 » Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:13 pm

all the time

Trendkill24hr

Postby Trendkill24hr » Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:57 pm

PopPChulo wrote:
Trendkill24hr wrote:
PopPChulo wrote:

In my opinion, that’s the best part of Funko collecting. It’s when you go and buy something strictly because you’ll love it; pull it out years later and find that it’s worth 10x the amount you paid even when your not going to sell it. It’s just the fact that something you got because you are passionate about now has extra value on your investment haha

That, and if money ever gets tight I can sell it and just buy a a more modern mold of that character for retail…like that Goonies set lol

PopPChulo

Postby PopPChulo » Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:33 pm

Trendkill24hr wrote:
PopPChulo wrote:
Trendkill24hr wrote:

That, and if money ever gets tight I can sell it and just buy a a more modern mold of that character for retail…like that Goonies set lol

This is also a thing lol I like when they make new molds of a character and retire the old one. I don’t see any harm in it considering that collectors still can get the character and it kinda rewards early adoption. I’m not too sure what the catalyst is nowadays for discontinuing figures because it seems like figures are available forever lol
PopPChulo

Trendkill24hr

Postby Trendkill24hr » Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:48 pm

PopPChulo wrote:
Trendkill24hr wrote:
PopPChulo wrote:

This is also a thing lol I like when they make new molds of a character and retire the old one. I don’t see any harm in it considering that collectors still can get the character and it kinda rewards early adoption. I’m not too sure what the catalyst is nowadays for discontinuing figures because it seems like figures are available forever lol

I think the catalyst is when people stop buying them or never bought them, but yah it seems like it’s that plus 5 years nowadays lol

Nihil

Postby Nihil » Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:55 am

Elewitt2022 wrote:Am I the only one?

Or have other collectors started to only buy stickered, exclusive, Con related, specialty, etc...?

It is rare that I see a common pop! that I feel like I need to add to my collection. I feel like I have to be extra choosey because I just don't have that much space anymore.

Anyone else feel the same way? Am I missing out on something? :-k

Yeah, space is a concern, but I buy commons as long as I like the IP or character enough. As is evident, anything Nic Cage related I will buy, no matter how common. As a Philly guy I also get Philly-related ones, like Gritty and the Phanatic.
Funatic from Philadelphia. Nicolas Cage Super Fan.

randig

Postby randig » Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:48 am

I buy all the Batman!
Fundays: 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019

ImageImage

PopPChulo

Postby PopPChulo » Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:18 pm

Trendkill24hr wrote:
PopPChulo wrote:
Trendkill24hr wrote:

I think the catalyst is when people stop buying them or never bought them, but yah it seems like it’s that plus 5 years nowadays lol

Hmm maybe that is the case but I feel like some pops are available forever even when their not selling (I promise it felt like I seen 100s of supreme leader snoke pops occupying the target shelves at one point for years lol)
PopPChulo

Trendkill24hr

Postby Trendkill24hr » Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:42 pm

PopPChulo wrote:
Trendkill24hr wrote:
PopPChulo wrote:

Hmm maybe that is the case but I feel like some pops are available forever even when their not selling (I promise it felt like I seen 100s of supreme leader snoke pops occupying the target shelves at one point for years lol)

I swear there are still pops of him at my local store lol

Mjacob78

Postby Mjacob78 » Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:15 am

And I’m saying how many variants do I need lol. Like honestly how many say Harry Potter variants do I really need lol.
Gotta love those pops :freddy2:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

PopPChulo

Postby PopPChulo » Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:15 pm

Trendkill24hr wrote:
PopPChulo wrote:
Trendkill24hr wrote:

Lol lol I swear it felt like they produced 100k of that pop. Every single time I went to target I seen a shelf full of them with other exclusives sprinkled in.
PopPChulo

LoneWolf72

Postby LoneWolf72 » Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:37 pm

I buy almost everything Star Wars and Disney, no matter the sticker. But I got to say I do like the exclusives, but mostly for the chase.
I'm Chad AKA Mr. StarWarner.
Image Image
Collecting since 2013
Fundays: 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
Virtual Con (2020), and Funkon (2021)
Funko Panel, Bingo Night (SDCC)
Funko Panel, Hall H (SDCC)
Fright Night San Diego
Funko HQ Grand Opening
FDO: Los Angeles (×2), Sacramento, and Baltimore (×2)

Trendkill24hr

Postby Trendkill24hr » Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:13 pm

PopPChulo wrote:
Trendkill24hr wrote:
PopPChulo wrote:

Lol lol I swear it felt like they produced 100k of that pop. Every single time I went to target I seen a shelf full of them with other exclusives sprinkled in.

I wonder if eventually they gave up and threw them away and that’s the only reason some stores don’t have 1 or 2 instead of 12 lol

Marvel_LS_02

Postby Marvel_LS_02 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:48 am

I too have to be more "do i NEED it" t buy it. Too many pops in the collection that I'm not buying everything in the wave etc etc. I've still bought commons like the Star Lord and Groot Christmas pops, the santa pop. lately this year or so Ive mainly bought for others but yeah the ones I have I've gotten for myself have mainly been at conventions or store exclusives. That's main;y been for the designs for the character. Well at SDCC IF i am able to get int the Funko store, I try get at least one pop even if my must(s) are gone, because Its con and I made it in so i'm leaving with something, that was a want and not a NEED, with a sticker for myself. Sometimes there's AAA exclusives that I get there because you can't find thse just anywhere sometimes if u miss out on PO online so i would look at other booths that might sell those.

Return to “Pop!”