Do I have to be a fan to buy the Pop!?

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
Dave17251

Re: Do I have to be a fan to buy the Pop!?

Postby Dave17251 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:33 pm

pberickp wrote:
Dave17251 wrote:Collect what you like! I personally started picking up 2 themes for my pops. First one is all monkeys! I have lines like the original Planet of the Apes, which I have never seen. That won't stop me from digging my Dr Zaius pop. Second line is scary looking pops like Kuchisake and Junji Ito Hideo. I started to look into the origins of both pops AFTER i had acquired them. I love doing it this way.

I’m the same with sharks or surfboards. I buy any POP w/ a shark or any POP! where someone has a surfboard. Naturally Fin du Chomp was a must buy :)

Personally would love to see collections like this. The type of collections can be endless and would be awesome to see all the different themes

Pryde72

Postby Pryde72 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:39 pm

I don’t watch very much anime any more, but if I think it’s a cool mold, then yup I will get it.
I used to be a werewolf, but I’m alright nooooooooooow :cat:

Sthesuperstar

Postby Sthesuperstar » Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:14 pm

Collect what you like unless space is an issue. That's the only reason I have slowed down, lol
Follow Me On Instagram @sthesuperstar
ISO SIMPSONS POPS & PROTOS
Member Of Funko Fiends Midwest as of November 2019 :freddy1:

wolfy233

Postby wolfy233 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:01 pm

I have at least two pops in my collection that are "grab first if a fire starts in the house" and I'm a fan of neither show that they are from. Sometimes certain pops just speak to you.

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:49 pm

wolfy233 wrote:I have at least two pops in my collection that are "grab first if a fire starts in the house" and I'm a fan of neither show that they are from. Sometimes certain pops just speak to you.

I recall getting a tekken pop because I liked the mold
ImageImageImage

Some people call me the orange hoodie

ISO funko Force creature from black lagoon chase Glow in the dark

DrunkoPop

Postby DrunkoPop » Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:02 pm

hpellot wrote:
wolfy233 wrote:I have at least two pops in my collection that are "grab first if a fire starts in the house" and I'm a fan of neither show that they are from. Sometimes certain pops just speak to you.

I recall getting a tekken pop because I liked the mold

I know exactly what you mean, I’ve done this before. Some molds I just need to have because I find it so dope. I try not over do it.
Image Image
ImageImage

phnguyen

Postby phnguyen » Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:14 am

The first few pops I bought I never knew what Funko was. I was in the grocery store Meijer and saw Thor, wolverine, and Dr. Doom. I was like oh these are cool-looking toys and bought them.

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:30 am

Lord Bacon wrote:
rexflexall wrote:
Lord Bacon wrote:Not really. Sometimes I buy stuff just to complete a line or collection. I'm a completionist, so having one of every possible release or variant in a line takes priority over how I feel about a specific piece.

I've envious of you! The discipline!

Yea, it's totally my discipline and not my OCD 8-[

LOL I got my own OCD issues!

mrodr110

Postby mrodr110 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:16 pm

Whats crazy is half the time I am becoming a fan of something because of talking to people about pops coming out, getting the pop, then saying I need to see/read/experience this.

wolfy233

Postby wolfy233 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:28 am

mrodr110 wrote:Whats crazy is half the time I am becoming a fan of something because of talking to people about pops coming out, getting the pop, then saying I need to see/read/experience this.

Sometimes we collect things for ourselves and sometimes for what it says to other ppl about us when they see it. Pops are no exception in this. Either way can induce an emotion in us as we walk by it every day. Sorry, didn't mean to get so cerebral, haha.

Becalena

Postby Becalena » Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:17 am

Elewitt2022 wrote:Have you bought a Pop! just for the way it looks, even if you are not a fan of, or have no knowledge about the licensed product?

I have a lot of Pops! in my collection that I have acquired which I just think look awesome, mostly from anime, but I couldn't tell you anything about the license and who the character is, or why they are depicted in this way. I just reacted to the design. (For example SDCC 2022 Enmu)

Conversely, there are lines released, which when I see them, I feel no inclination to buy the Pops! And then, when I happen to watch the show, and become invested in the characters, I suddenly feel the need to add the Pops! to my collection. (For example House of Dragon - Daemon looks much cooler when I know what a complex character he is)

This collecting thing is so complicated... lol

Image Image

Yes! I purchased Ghűs from SDCC18 because he was cute and flocked, it was from a game I had no idea what the game was(still don't hehe) I think that's how people should collect if you like it you get it

keyese

Postby keyese » Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:30 am

I can't think of an example off the top of my head, but I have definitely purchased Pops just because I liked their molds or pose :)
AKA ElizabethKeyes on Twitch or keyese on Discord :freddy2:
ISO Mystery Minis!
Lord of the Rings: Eowyn (HT) and Lurtz (HT)
Avengers Endgame: 1/72 Hulk, 1/72 Hawkeye, 1/24 Black Widow (all Walmart exclusives)

jcrook

Postby jcrook » Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:54 pm

Stragon wrote:
jcrook wrote:I feel as though you buy what you want for whatever reason you want. Gave firefighter pops to coworkers, gave front line workers to other friends who work in healthcare and now some Disney ones for my little girl. What I like is that there is so much to choose from for whatever reason you collect.

I do the same thing. I buy for family, friends, and coworkers and for myself I try to stick to my favorite lines but I have so many favorites it isn't funny.

My same struggle too. I keep trying to cut back but then they release new pops and there goes my self control.
Funko Fundays 2017
FunKon 2021
SDCC 2017, 2018, 2022

I go by Crook

disneyfunkoaddict

Postby disneyfunkoaddict » Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:16 pm

i dont have to be a fan myself, if i like a pop for whatever reason i get it.

bitmap

Postby bitmap » Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:27 pm

mrodr110 wrote:Whats crazy is half the time I am becoming a fan of something because of talking to people about pops coming out, getting the pop, then saying I need to see/read/experience this.

actually me

Stragon

Postby Stragon » Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:11 am

disneyfunkoaddict wrote:i dont have to be a fan myself, if i like a pop for whatever reason i get it.

I used to be that way until I ran out of space, then I put them in totes in the garage, now the totes have a storage unit, so now I have to be choosy, but can buy for family, friends, and coworkers lol
FUNKO FUNDAYS: 2016,2018,2019,2022
Funko Hollywood Grand Opening
World Premiere - Making Fun
Funko Virtual Con 2020
Funko Mask O Raid 2022

ryanc_

Postby ryanc_ » Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:12 pm

no way, I buy pops that just stand out as cool designs all the time even if I'm unfamiliar with the character

TonyCFunko

Postby TonyCFunko » Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:25 pm

I have been trying to get some of the One Piece pops since I started watching the show, but I’m 450 episodes in waiting for some of them to show up haha
:freddy2:
Twitter/Instagram: @TonyCFunko
Wondercon ‘23
Fright Nights ‘22
NYCC ‘22
Fundays ‘22
SDCC ‘22
Wondercon ‘22
Funko Pop Quiz S1 Semi-Finalist
SDCC Special Edition ‘21

ISO: My Hero Academia & Demon Slayer Protos

lcarus83

Postby lcarus83 » Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:43 pm

As long as you like the Pop that's all that matters. I'm not a fan of Little Shop of Horrors, but the Audrey II and Baby Audrey are a couple of my favorite Pops. They're just cool and they fit with my horror collection well.

I am certainly no fan of anime whatsoever, but there are a few Pops I like. From what I've seen, I find One Piece to be terrible. However I think some of the Pops, particularly the ships, are pretty cool.
Holy Grails: Riddler, Penguin, Two-Face, Hawkman, Martian Manhunter, Logan

Boszdrew

Postby Boszdrew » Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:50 pm

you don't need to be a fan to buy don't be a FOMO lol and buy what you want not just because it's hot
Collecting Funko : 2018
SDCC : 2018, 2023
Wondercon 2018, 2019

Image Image

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Thu May 18, 2023 11:16 am

lcarus83 wrote:As long as you like the Pop that's all that matters. I'm not a fan of Little Shop of Horrors, but the Audrey II and Baby Audrey are a couple of my favorite Pops. They're just cool and they fit with my horror collection well.

I am certainly no fan of anime whatsoever, but there are a few Pops I like. From what I've seen, I find One Piece to be terrible. However I think some of the Pops, particularly the ships, are pretty cool.

I agree buy what you love or like, no matter what the line is.
ImageImageImage

Some people call me the orange hoodie

ISO funko Force creature from black lagoon chase Glow in the dark

dolphinax2

Postby dolphinax2 » Thu May 18, 2023 11:18 am

Nope, I have many pops that I don’t watch the program or know anything about it besides that it is cute and I like it.
Hi. I'm Jeanne (Go by Gina).
I like Nightmare Before Christmas and anything else that catches my eye :)
FUNKO FUNKLUB #13433

[b]Fundays:2015,2016,2017,2018,2019,2020[/b]
Funko Fright Night2016
World Premiere - Making Fun
Funko Virtual Con 2020
Funkon 2021
FDO 6,7,8 & 9
https://i.ibb.co/wg3cKBx/hJXGyyX.png

scullysdad

Postby scullysdad » Thu May 18, 2023 11:27 am

Boszdrew wrote:buy what you want not just because it's hot

I don’t know if I have picked up things because they are hot, but I have definitely gotten caught up in the hype for lines I wouldn’t collect otherwise. I’m trying to stop that.
Please Funko make Taylor Swift Pops!

Most wanted non-Taylor Pops: Carson Teva, Naru from Prey, The Last of Us TV show

x3r0

Postby x3r0 » Thu May 18, 2023 11:36 am

scullysdad wrote:

I don’t know if I have picked up things because they are hot, but I have definitely gotten caught up in the hype for lines I wouldn’t collect otherwise. I’m trying to stop that.

I know this feeling well. I managed that by realizing my old roots what I can familiarize myself with and understanding budgeting and space being given.

I hope this insight helps.

Also— to OP, buy what resonates with you as a new collector. I mean it’s easier said than done. But do what with what you please. No one is stopping ya.
Collecting since 2010

..I like to take photos of anything...

Funko Hollywood's Sid and Marty Krofft
Funko Hollywood’s Funkon

Instagram: Euphoria Imaging

evrythngzen

Postby evrythngzen » Thu May 18, 2023 6:34 pm

I buy for both reasons, mostly because I'm a fan but absolutely if there is something that catches my eye and I love the look, I'm buying it. I bought this one voo doo looking dude, I couldn't even begin to tell you what he is from but I loved the look and he went well with my other voo doo looking ones. LOL
:freddy3: Collector, convention manager, all around nerdy weirdo!!

Boszdrew

Postby Boszdrew » Thu May 18, 2023 6:43 pm

scullysdad wrote:

well you got a point there
Collecting Funko : 2018
SDCC : 2018, 2023
Wondercon 2018, 2019

Image Image

Ryko87

Postby Ryko87 » Thu May 18, 2023 11:04 pm

You don’t have to be a fan of the line to buy the pop. I buy anime pops mainly, but I also ended up buying kang and kodos two pack from GameStop in 2019 because I liked the glow. I don’t collect the Simpson line but like the show.

calpolo17

Postby calpolo17 » Tue May 23, 2023 1:26 pm

I've bought a ton of Pops that I just liked the way they looked. Many turned out to be my most valuable, and a few led me to check out new shows and movies I wouldnt have otherwise known about.

spider-man_616

Postby spider-man_616 » Tue May 23, 2023 2:13 pm

Elewitt2022 wrote:Have you bought a Pop! just for the way it looks, even if you are not a fan of, or have no knowledge about the licensed product?

I have a lot of Pops! in my collection that I have acquired which I just think look awesome, mostly from anime, but I couldn't tell you anything about the license and who the character is, or why they are depicted in this way. I just reacted to the design. (For example SDCC 2022 Enmu)

Conversely, there are lines released, which when I see them, I feel no inclination to buy the Pops! And then, when I happen to watch the show, and become invested in the characters, I suddenly feel the need to add the Pops! to my collection. (For example House of Dragon - Daemon looks much cooler when I know what a complex character he is)

Image Image

I don't but it's a personal choice to limit how many pops I actually get. If I got every pop I thought looked cool, I'd run out of space so fast.

Bam808

Postby Bam808 » Tue May 23, 2023 3:32 pm

I enjoy buying pops first on if they fit my collection, second on how they look and if it was something I may look into getting into the series or show, I tend to wait after I watch a movie or shiw to purchase the Funko Pops and by then its to late, one example is the Boys series, I waited to long to get into watching and mossed out on the poos.

MaxFMusic

Postby MaxFMusic » Wed May 24, 2023 3:47 pm

I think the true answer is no! If you are a collector, then whatever reason you deem for you buying that item is up to you! Whether its the look of the sculpt/painting or the affiliation to a certain fandom, its up to you!
Max F.
Media Scorer, Composer, and Trumpeter
Collecting since November 2013
Funatic Member since July 2022
200+ Funko products in my collection :freddy1:

DarkSonic

Postby DarkSonic » Wed May 24, 2023 4:07 pm

Nope! Bought many because it looks cool. Like the Ivy from wondercon for example
WonderCon Fun House 23 - Camp Fundays 23

JJLecaros

Postby JJLecaros » Wed May 24, 2023 5:09 pm

Sarcasticguy wrote:Nah you don't have to be a fan. Collect what you like!

what he said.

DFWFunkoHunter

Postby DFWFunkoHunter » Wed May 24, 2023 6:24 pm

No! I have way more than I can count That I picked up just because the mold was cool, it was or it had a pet, or whatever without knowing a single thing about the character beyond seeing it! That’s the great thing about collecting is that people can choose to collect for whatever reason as long as it brings joy :)

zonkttc

Postby zonkttc » Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:47 am

Image Image

Your money your choice. I've seen ppl buy pops just for aesthetic to completions. Its up to you what you value. If you want the pop to have, craft etc its up to you. N yea collecting is complicated but its also so much fun if you let it. No stress off a piece of plastic.

willy wonka
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby willy wonka » Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:42 pm

I bought the blue chrome batman because I liked the look of it.
Just call me Joe...

ImageImage
ISO: Freddy Mad Hatter LE 1/24, Mad Hatter Protos,
SDCC 4 Pack Dorbz(Found thanks to another Funatic)

pinklaquer

Postby pinklaquer » Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:50 pm

I would say I have a small handful of items that are not necessarily Pops! But they have managed their way into my collection simply because of the way they look.

If it brings you joy…that’s all that matters! :cheers:

desdin28

Postby desdin28 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:22 am

pinklaquer wrote:I would say I have a small handful of items that are not necessarily Pops! But they have managed their way into my collection simply because of the way they look.

If it brings you joy…that’s all that matters! :cheers:

Agreed with this statement, if it brings you joy, that's all that matters. To me, it was DND and Junji Ito pops. Unique molds and never played DND in the past nor watch the show but fell in love with them.

Funkognome

Postby Funkognome » Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:43 am

I did this at the beginning of collecting, but I had to stop due to running out of room :(
But I definitely agree! Collect what you like, it's your collection.

Ep245

Postby Ep245 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:22 am

Buy what makes you happy! I support you!
——
- Funko Fundays 2018 (Prom!)
- Camp Fundays 2023

:freddy2:

Return to “Pop!”