SDCC wants

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
El_PANDA

Re: SDCC wants

Postby El_PANDA » Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:22 pm

DrunkoPop wrote:
Rcmal1 wrote:
DrunkoPop wrote:
I don’t like Airbnb at all. I’ve seen and heard way too many horror stories. No thanks

Stay away from AirBnB this year. My booking (which I made days after last year's convention) got canceled cause of new rules in SD where people need to have expensive permits. There is nothing available for a cheap rate this time, which stinks. I am excited though to try and stay at a hotel close to downtown, it should be a different type of experience.

I stay away from Airbnb period.

Yeah Airbnb has gotten very bad

El_PANDA

Postby El_PANDA » Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:23 pm

JaeLopez23 wrote:Congrats to all that got tickets

I got tickets but missed the coveted Saturday again

DrunkoPop

Postby DrunkoPop » Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:09 pm

El_PANDA wrote:
DrunkoPop wrote:
Rcmal1 wrote:
Stay away from AirBnB this year. My booking (which I made days after last year's convention) got canceled cause of new rules in SD where people need to have expensive permits. There is nothing available for a cheap rate this time, which stinks. I am excited though to try and stay at a hotel close to downtown, it should be a different type of experience.

Even before it got really bad, I never bought in.
Image Image
ImageImage

Ronnie18

Postby Ronnie18 » Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:49 pm

DrunkoPop wrote:
El_PANDA wrote:
DrunkoPop wrote:

I would love to stay at an Airbnb for sdcc but with all the additional fees and reported issues. It’s easier to stay at a hotel.

DrunkoPop

Postby DrunkoPop » Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:11 pm

Ronnie18 wrote:
DrunkoPop wrote:
El_PANDA wrote:

I would love to stay at an Airbnb for sdcc but with all the additional fees and reported issues. It’s easier to stay at a hotel.

Exactly. Why deal with all that hassle.
Image Image
ImageImage

funko_gtx91

Postby funko_gtx91 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:43 am

Ginzo1622 wrote:
funko_gtx91 wrote:
rexflexall wrote:
Simpsons for sure!

Hopefully!! :freddy2:

They pretty much have this line in SDCC right

They have had exclusives at nycc but not sdcc I think

Ginzo1622

Postby Ginzo1622 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:50 am

funko_gtx91 wrote:
Ginzo1622 wrote:
funko_gtx91 wrote:

Hopefully!! :freddy2:

Ah really it atleast you have one per year lol
Fundays 2022 - Proto Robots
Fright Night 2022
Fundays 2023 - Protomoa Wolves

Don't stand in my way!!!

:whdat:

DrunkoPop

Postby DrunkoPop » Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:31 am

Ginzo1622 wrote:
funko_gtx91 wrote:
Ginzo1622 wrote:

In 2019 SDCC we got Treehouse of Horror Kang and Kodos. So there is always hope.
Image Image
ImageImage

Rcmal1

Postby Rcmal1 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:34 am

DrunkoPop wrote:
El_PANDA wrote:
DrunkoPop wrote:

I had great success in years past and was able to save a ton of money and have more room for me and my friends. The city really cracking down has just been horrible.

Nihil

Postby Nihil » Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:14 am

Rcmal1 wrote:
DrunkoPop wrote:
El_PANDA wrote:

I had great success in years past and was able to save a ton of money and have more room for me and my friends. The city really cracking down has just been horrible.

Yeah, it is a shame. Airbnb's have been really clutch for SDCC, I think both for the renters and the rentees. It's been very nice staying in a place with multiple bedrooms / bathrooms and a nice walk or short drive down to the convention center. Having to go with the "Hotelocalypse" is going to be more cramped and harder on the wallet. Damn hotel lobby.
Funatic from Philadelphia. Nicolas Cage Super Fan.

CaseyJones14
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY

Postby CaseyJones14 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:20 am

Jumbo Freddy and Jumbo Boo Berry. It's a travesty we haven't got either - there has to be some licensing issues with Boo Berry because I always feel like he's last to get made.
Brett - caseyj0nes14 on Instagram
ISO - Dorbz and McNugget Protos!

DrunkoPop

Postby DrunkoPop » Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:02 am

Rcmal1 wrote:
DrunkoPop wrote:
El_PANDA wrote:

What do you mean by the city really cracking down? :-k
Image Image
ImageImage

Nihil

Postby Nihil » Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:35 am

DrunkoPop wrote:
Rcmal1 wrote:
DrunkoPop wrote:

Basically San Diego has passed new laws regarding who can rent a property for short-term residency. It involves applying for specific licenses and different tax documents. Some regulations also limit the amount of days per year you can rent out. This can be all well-and-good for property owners who run a business of renting units, but it is a burden on regular home-owners who just want to rent their dwelling while they are on vacation. Some SD residents would rent out their place during SDCC for extra cash, as it is a profitable time, but it is now harder to do so and a lot of previously available Airbnb listings have had to cancel.

DrunkoPop

Postby DrunkoPop » Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:58 am

Nihil wrote:
DrunkoPop wrote:
Rcmal1 wrote:

Basically San Diego has passed new laws regarding who can rent a property for short-term residency. It involves applying for specific licenses and different tax documents. Some regulations also limit the amount of days per year you can rent out. This can be all well-and-good for property owners who run a business of renting units, but it is a burden on regular home-owners who just want to rent their dwelling while they are on vacation. Some SD residents would rent out their place during SDCC for extra cash, as it is a profitable time, but it is now harder to do so and a lot of previously available Airbnb listings have had to cancel.

Interesting. Thanks for that piece of information.
Image Image
ImageImage

Chingy

Postby Chingy » Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:00 pm

Nihil wrote:
Chingy wrote:Severance was probably one of the best offsites ever at SDCC. Flynn's Arcade and Westward come to mind as well. Blade Runner 2049 was pretty cool too.

It was definitely one of my favorites. The D&D one from last year was also pretty cool, free drinks and a show. Plus their line management was top notch.

From previous years, the Good Place offsite was great, as was the Amazon experience (I got to do The Boys escape room and the scavenger hunt) and the South Park mini golf. I think some of the worst were the Pixels arcade and the Watchmen booth.

Ooof. The Watchmen booth. Fun concept and cool minimalist setup, but nothing substantial. Same with the Twilight Zone at the Petco Interactive Zone. Another truly great one that comes to mind is Pennyworth.

bitmap

Postby bitmap » Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:37 pm

Chingy wrote:
bitmap wrote:
Nihil wrote:
The offsite was really fun. You got to join an orientation, view some art, try out some MDR on the computers, and even experience a MDE. No waffle parties though. Got some cool swag, including a finger trap, an employee handbook, and a team photo (with a little something on the back).

I got into that off site as well. The wait was super long even though you had a reservation. I think it was 2 hours from when you lined up til when you got it. The actors in the experience were on point as well, definitely felt I was at Lumen. Hopefully they'll have a presence this coming year as well.

Severance was probably one of the best offsites ever at SDCC. Flynn's Arcade and Westward come to mind as well. Blade Runner 2049 was pretty cool too.

100% the severance entire experience was top notch, everything from the actors, rooms, and activities stayed incredibly true to the show

Straight2VHS

Postby Straight2VHS » Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:45 pm

Anyone think more details on Fundays 2023 will be unveiled at Wondercon next month like last year?

Nihil

Postby Nihil » Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:15 pm

Chingy wrote:
Nihil wrote:
Chingy wrote:Severance was probably one of the best offsites ever at SDCC. Flynn's Arcade and Westward come to mind as well. Blade Runner 2049 was pretty cool too.

It was definitely one of my favorites. The D&D one from last year was also pretty cool, free drinks and a show. Plus their line management was top notch.

From previous years, the Good Place offsite was great, as was the Amazon experience (I got to do The Boys escape room and the scavenger hunt) and the South Park mini golf. I think some of the worst were the Pixels arcade and the Watchmen booth.

Ooof. The Watchmen booth. Fun concept and cool minimalist setup, but nothing substantial. Same with the Twilight Zone at the Petco Interactive Zone. Another truly great one that comes to mind is Pennyworth.

Yeah, the booth itself was okay I guess, and I enjoyed the pins. But standing for over an hour in a parking lot in direct sunlight for a 10 second video was NOT worth it.

Meowmix4

Postby Meowmix4 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:18 pm

Straight2VHS wrote:Anyone think more details on Fundays 2023 will be unveiled at Wondercon next month like last year?

I hope so. Getting anxious about SDCC.

Is it July yet?

PopPChulo

Postby PopPChulo » Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:48 am

My favorite time of the year fr, can’t wait til this years fundays! I hear it’s gonna be a doozy!
PopPChulo

Funko Enthusiast/Creative Idea Expert/Music Analyst/Pop Culture Geek :freddy3:

"Creativity is all around you.. How you chose to use that creativity is at your disgression" - Pop-P Chulo

Blitzfreeze

Postby Blitzfreeze » Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:04 am

I too can't wait for this year's fundays, it will be bittersweet because after getting in last year and seeing somewhat small edition sizes (I know there was nothing compared to previous years) but the new venue is going to hold a LOT more of us, so edition sizes are going to be much higher I'd wager.
ImageImageImageImageImage
SDCC 1999-2023

Chingy

Postby Chingy » Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:53 pm

Blitzfreeze wrote:I too can't wait for this year's fundays, it will be bittersweet because after getting in last year and seeing somewhat small edition sizes (I know there was nothing compared to previous years) but the new venue is going to hold a LOT more of us, so edition sizes are going to be much higher I'd wager.

I'm thinking this too but I'm really hoping that there are just a larger variety of small editions.

Blitzfreeze

Postby Blitzfreeze » Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:21 pm

Chingy wrote:
Blitzfreeze wrote:I too can't wait for this year's fundays, it will be bittersweet because after getting in last year and seeing somewhat small edition sizes (I know there was nothing compared to previous years) but the new venue is going to hold a LOT more of us, so edition sizes are going to be much higher I'd wager.

I'm thinking this too but I'm really hoping that there are just a larger variety of small editions.

Fingers crossed we are both wrong! Let's hope you are right that there are just a lot more small edition sizes.
SDCC 1999-2023

Force951

Postby Force951 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:03 am

Hoping for Last of Us pops, but figure the themes go better with NYCC.

mongoose12

Postby mongoose12 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:16 am

I’d want for the booth to sell nft packs (codes) and have a redemption area for legendaries/grails.

Serch_na

Postby Serch_na » Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:20 am

I want to go to SD just for Fundays, i really dont have the energy for a big con, do you think it worths the trip? (i clearly know yes, but i want to be sure because its not a small/cheap trip)
NYCC 2022
Deadpool - Photography - Mexican

Blitzfreeze

Postby Blitzfreeze » Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:31 am

Serch_na wrote:I want to go to SD just for Fundays, i really dont have the energy for a big con, do you think it worths the trip? (i clearly know yes, but i want to be sure because its not a small/cheap trip)

If you are coming domestically and staying a night or two, totally.
SDCC 1999-2023

Serch_na

Postby Serch_na » Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:40 am

Blitzfreeze wrote:
Serch_na wrote:I want to go to SD just for Fundays, i really dont have the energy for a big con, do you think it worths the trip? (i clearly know yes, but i want to be sure because its not a small/cheap trip)

A night or two yes, domestically no lol
NYCC 2022

Nihil

Postby Nihil » Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:56 pm

San Diego is a beautiful city, and there are a ton of off-sites and events that you can do without needing SDCC tickets. Experiencing the city in general with the con-craziness is great, or even just checking out year-round aspects of the city is a fun time. It's one of my favorite cities in the USA, and home to one of my favorite restaurants. If you can justify the budget, I would definitely recommend going. Though like others have said, it can be quite pricey with travel and hotel expenses.

bitmap

Postby bitmap » Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:42 pm

Nihil wrote:

San Diego is a beautiful city, and there are a ton of off-sites and events that you can do without needing SDCC tickets. Experiencing the city in general with the con-craziness is great, or even just checking out year-round aspects of the city is a fun time. It's one of my favorite cities in the USA, and home to one of my favorite restaurants. If you can justify the budget, I would definitely recommend going. Though like others have said, it can be quite pricey with travel and hotel expenses.

I agree, as well. If you get Fundays, you pretty much have to go. Yes the price of attending is expensive, but the Fundays experience is already worth the price of admission. Plus you get the experience the vibrant city during the convention which has so many off sites, great food, and fellow convention enthusiasts.

Ronnie18

Postby Ronnie18 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:19 pm

bitmap wrote:
Nihil wrote:

I agree, as well. If you get Fundays, you pretty much have to go. Yes the price of attending is expensive, but the Fundays experience is already worth the price of admission. Plus you get the experience the vibrant city during the convention which has so many off sites, great food, and fellow convention enthusiasts.

My sister and I are looking forward to SDCC this year but Fundays would be the cherry on top

Serch_na

Postby Serch_na » Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:51 pm

bitmap wrote:
Nihil wrote:

Thanks all, ill try to get tickets and then ill worry about the expenses, i want to do this before my wedding . :freddy2:
NYCC 2022

Blitzfreeze

Postby Blitzfreeze » Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:01 pm

Serch_na wrote:
Blitzfreeze wrote:

A night or two yes, domestically no lol

Well if you don't mind customs and bringing a lot of hard protectors with you to survive the international flight back home, then maaaaayyyyybeeee? lol
SDCC 1999-2023

Nemesis989

Postby Nemesis989 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:39 pm

Ronnie18 wrote:
bitmap wrote:
Nihil wrote:

My sister and I are looking forward to SDCC this year but Fundays would be the cherry on top

Looking forward to Fundays this year, SDCC is the cherry haha
Thank you everyone for this awesome community

Meowmix4

Postby Meowmix4 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:32 pm

Force951 wrote:Hoping for Last of Us pops, but figure the themes go better with NYCC.

Definitely makes more sense with it being around Halloween. Would be awesome though!

funko_gtx91

Postby funko_gtx91 » Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:42 am

DrunkoPop wrote:
Ginzo1622 wrote:
funko_gtx91 wrote:

In 2019 SDCC we got Treehouse of Horror Kang and Kodos. So there is always hope.

I would like to see homer but in a different old than the original

DrunkoPop

Postby DrunkoPop » Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:50 pm

funko_gtx91 wrote:
DrunkoPop wrote:
Ginzo1622 wrote:

I would like to see homer but in a different old than the original

Interesting but we did get a soda last year. I like those molds.
Image Image
ImageImage

Rick_Morty46

Postby Rick_Morty46 » Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:19 pm

bitmap wrote:
Chingy wrote:
bitmap wrote:
I got into that off site as well. The wait was super long even though you had a reservation. I think it was 2 hours from when you lined up til when you got it. The actors in the experience were on point as well, definitely felt I was at Lumen. Hopefully they'll have a presence this coming year as well.

Severance was probably one of the best offsites ever at SDCC. Flynn's Arcade and Westward come to mind as well. Blade Runner 2049 was pretty cool too.

100% the severance entire experience was top notch, everything from the actors, rooms, and activities stayed incredibly true to the show

Godzilla was a really good one and Ready player one.

Rick_Morty46

Postby Rick_Morty46 » Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:23 pm

I'm down with The last of us.

Chingy

Postby Chingy » Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:34 pm

Rick_Morty46 wrote:
bitmap wrote:
Chingy wrote:

Godzilla was a really good one and Ready player one.

I had forgotten about Ready Player One offsite! I didn't get to experience that but I remember hearing about it and reading the reviews. It was supposed to be pretty awesome.

Return to “Pop!”