Anybody else think they’re overdoing it on Freddy lately?

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
Jarrieta13

Re: Anybody else think they’re overdoing it on Freddy lately?

Postby Jarrieta13 » Sat Sep 16, 2023 1:50 pm

Ah, I would want some type of Freddy that's Anime theme I don't think I have seen any tbh! Halloween theme are my favorited so in short no, I want more!

Brianbiz

Postby Brianbiz » Sat Sep 16, 2023 4:03 pm

Mr Yac wrote:I’m usually in the minority here on opinions, but am I the only one who thinks them taking Freddy from being a yearly offering that gets maybe a couple hundred pieces and turning him into a bi-monthly drop of thousands is really diminishing his appeal? Wanting a Freddy collection was my top priority when I first learned about him and Fundays, but now what was once such a special epic thing is starting to feel so mundane, which is sad and kind of how I’ve been feeling about collecting Funko in general. I dunno, maybe it’s the announcement of yet another NFT drop meaning a couple thousand new Freddys are destined for this world, but it just got me thinking , and I know how much you all hate me thinking so I’ll end it there.

I love Freddy’s can’t have enough of them! :freddy2:

deadlycollects

Postby deadlycollects » Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:16 pm

Mr Yac wrote:I’m usually in the minority here on opinions, but am I the only one who thinks them taking Freddy from being a yearly offering that gets maybe a couple hundred pieces and turning him into a bi-monthly drop of thousands is really diminishing his appeal? Wanting a Freddy collection was my top priority when I first learned about him and Fundays, but now what was once such a special epic thing is starting to feel so mundane, which is sad and kind of how I’ve been feeling about collecting Funko in general. I dunno, maybe it’s the announcement of yet another NFT drop meaning a couple thousand new Freddys are destined for this world, but it just got me thinking , and I know how much you all hate me thinking so I’ll end it there.

Its a love/ hate with how they are doing the freddys but thats why i focused more on older freddys now

popfanboy
HOF 2022 & Spirit
HOF 2022 & Spirit

Postby popfanboy » Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:20 pm

I am very late to this thread, but I agree, kinda. They're definitely not as unique as they used to be and a lot easier to obtain, but I still enjoy seeing my favorite characters turned into Freddy. This past SDCC is where I really felt the abundance of Freddy, specifically at the booth. I really liked what Funko had been doing with their themed booths and having a booth related Freddy exclusive to the con, Clown Freddy and Frightmare Freddy, but at SDCC it was a bit of overkill. There were so many Freddy's that I feel like each one took away from the others and as a result I don't think most of them sold out. I think if they had one solid Freddy that represented the booth, Mayor Freddy perhaps, it would have been a hit.
Tanner
I'm an artist who dreams of working for Funko one day.
Check out some of my drawings!
Follow me on Instagram @popfanboy
ISO Any Bat Boy, Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, or Ghostbuster ghost protos!

sealordbrian

Postby sealordbrian » Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:00 pm

I personally don't mind it as there are collectors of Freddy and there are collectors of the IP that he's repping in those items. So if you are into horror, although they may have produced a hundred plus of him, there are considerably less that are horror. So if you look at this from an IP perspective, the number is fair. Plus, it's given never collectors an opportunity to acquire pieces of him (that even as recent as a few years ago) were mostly unattainable to the majority of the public (whether due to cost or access).

deadlycollects

Postby deadlycollects » Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:06 am

Once freddy hits the anime world we will probably see more and more come often than what we see now

joeb0011

Postby joeb0011 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:36 pm

i think they need to bring back the 2016,2017 where quantities of the Freddy were low and cooler looking. Freddys are suppose to be a novelty exclusives... not liimted to 5k and above...
ImageImage

Ronnie18

Postby Ronnie18 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:37 pm

Yes, personally I think they are over doing it with a lot of pops. There are so many to keep up with. But I do love the Freddy pops.

zonkttc

Postby zonkttc » Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:27 pm

Ronnie18 wrote:Yes, personally I think they are over doing it with a lot of pops. There are so many to keep up with. But I do love the Freddy pops.

:freddy1: yea I hear you. It can get overwhelming. What I do is take a break then go for either ones I want or for the ones that drop previously in the second market :bounce: :compress:

Steelo99

Postby Steelo99 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:46 pm

So many too and it’s hard to decide which
ones to buy.
Because I love them all.

KwangWin9

Postby KwangWin9 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:38 am

zonkttc wrote:
Ronnie18 wrote:Yes, personally I think they are over doing it with a lot of pops. There are so many to keep up with. But I do love the Freddy pops.

:freddy1: yea I hear you. It can get overwhelming. What I do is take a break then go for either ones I want or for the ones that drop previously in the second market :bounce: :compress:

totally agree with this...anytime a Marvel show comes out, a windfall of characters is close behind :/

brooklyn_geek

Postby brooklyn_geek » Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:58 am

I love Freddy as much as the next guy but as many people are stating in this thread I guess there is such a thing as too much of a good thing & I agree...but lest we forget part of the reason we have the LE numbers in the thousands is because once upon a time people complained how difficult it was to acquire Freddy Pops lol

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:36 am

I was never really into that many Freddys but the Transformers ones have nearly got me on a hook!

FunkoEmu

Postby FunkoEmu » Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:24 am

rexflexall wrote:I was never really into that many Freddys but the Transformers ones have nearly got me on a hook!

Right there with you. G1 Transformers is the only line I work to stay 100% on.

But in terms of the post topic I tend to agree. If they REALLY want to spread around the Freddy love to general sales, maybe they could reserve variants for the special events.
ImageImage
SDCC: 2023, 2024
DragonCon: 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
NYCC: 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024

Elviax

Postby Elviax » Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:54 am

rexflexall wrote:I was never really into that many Freddys but the Transformers ones have nearly got me on a hook!

SAME HERE!
Hello! My name's David, nice to meet you!

Anime/Pokemon Collector

Fnava87

Postby Fnava87 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:01 am

I understand how you feel, last few years I been really picky on what I collect because I have no room and because it can get out of hand :roflmao: also depends if you are collecting because of value or what you like or both nothing wrong with any of those. They can pump out all the Freddy’s they want! it don’t matter to me because at the end of the day I am going to go for what I really want. Because I can be like not for me pass!!! but at the same time that same Freddy can be pop somebody has been waiting for so it is good to have many different versions of Freddy because the possibilities of a Freddy as a character are endless.

wolfy233

Postby wolfy233 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:07 am

Of two minds on this. On the one hand, I am always excited to see new Freddy's released, but on the other hand, I think the release of just different versions of a Freddy (especially just different colorways) cheapens the novelty of it. There are plenty of characters --and ppl-- for Freddy to imitate, no need to dilute it with slight variations.

Ginzo1622

Postby Ginzo1622 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:53 am

wolfy233 wrote:Of two minds on this. On the one hand, I am always excited to see new Freddy's released, but on the other hand, I think the release of just different versions of a Freddy (especially just different colorways) cheapens the novelty of it. There are plenty of characters --and ppl-- for Freddy to imitate, no need to dilute it with slight variations.

Yeah I hope they stopped doing multiple colorway, takes away the fun
Fundays 2022 - Proto Robots
Fright Night 2022
Fundays 2023 - Protomoa Wolves

Don't stand in my way!!!

:whdat:

Jezter
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby Jezter » Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:06 am

My only issue with the new Freddy pops is that I won't be able to get some of the ones I really like. I don't do NFT and don't have the funds to pay for high priced ones on the second market. Sad, but I'll manage. :D
Hey I'm John! :joker:

Pops!- 716ish
Dorbz: 34
Mystery Minis: 33
Vinyl Idolz: 2
Hikari: 1
Mini-Hikari: 1
Instagram: courtjezter

This Is Where A Really Neat Signature Is Going To Go....Eventually...Maybe.

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:30 am

Jezter wrote:My only issue with the new Freddy pops is that I won't be able to get some of the ones I really like. I don't do NFT and don't have the funds to pay for high priced ones on the second market. Sad, but I'll manage. :D

You'll be fine, just collect what you like within your budget!

HowardTheDuck

Postby HowardTheDuck » Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:50 pm

Jezter wrote:My only issue with the new Freddy pops is that I won't be able to get some of the ones I really like. I don't do NFT and don't have the funds to pay for high priced ones on the second market. Sad, but I'll manage. :D

I'm in the same boat. It's a bummer sometimes but there are plenty of pops out there I love AND can actually afford every once in a while. lol Especially with all the sales going on lately. Those have been fun even if the reason for them isn't.
I'm Julian. HowardTheFunatic on IG!
ISO: FREDDY FUNKO CAPTAIN AMERICA, FREDDY FUNKO STORMTROOPER, FAIRLY ODD PARENTS 3 PACK, CONTEST OF CHAMPIONS HOWARD THE DUCK PROTO, MAN-THING PROTO, BRUTUS THE BUCKEYE PROTO

wolfy233

Postby wolfy233 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:11 am

I would take a look at some of the older ones (I'm sure a few are on your list); I'd focus on those versus ones that came out in the last six months/year. Many have started to come down in price as newer "grails" have moved into the space. You may be surprised at how some out-of-range pieces have now become in-range.

Ginzo1622

Postby Ginzo1622 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:34 am

wolfy233 wrote:

I would take a look at some of the older ones (I'm sure a few are on your list); I'd focus on those versus ones that came out in the last six months/year. Many have started to come down in price as newer "grails" have moved into the space. You may be surprised at how some out-of-range pieces have now become in-range.

That's a good thing for new collectors then
Fright Night 2022

Don't stand in my way!!!

DrunkoPop

Postby DrunkoPop » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:49 am

rexflexall wrote:

BINGO!!!! You couldn’t have said it any better :smt033
Image Image
ImageImage

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:02 am

DrunkoPop wrote:
rexflexall wrote:

Funko is meant to be FUN! Don't get peer pressured into going over budget!

mikechickenhead

Postby mikechickenhead » Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:36 am

Oh.. once again.. NEVER ENOUGH FREDDY!!!
HEY HO! FUNKO!

ImageImage Image Image
Fundays. 3 FDO. 3

DrunkoPop

Postby DrunkoPop » Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:16 pm

rexflexall wrote:
DrunkoPop wrote:
rexflexall wrote:

Exactly. Collect what you like and spend what you can. :thumbright:
Image Image
ImageImage

waltstikiland

Postby waltstikiland » Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:43 pm

scullysdad wrote:Before this year I had six Freddys, and thanks to the NFTs, FunDays, and Fright Night my collection is close to 40 (and that’s not counting the NFTs I have not gotten yet). I agree that there have been a lot of Freddys but still not too many for me.

Totally agree here!

I love Freddy and the influx of new Freddy’s has made it more accessible for those of us that can’t collect the 500 and below piece counts.

Keep ‘em coming!
Started collecting Funko back in 2012!

I am a huge Star Wars fan as well as all things Mid-Century! :mickey2:
I love to go to Tiki Bars and all of Tiki Culture

Love all things Freddy and love to learn more about Funko history!

NYCC 2015-2022
Star Wars Celebration 2022-23

dork_knight
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Postby dork_knight » Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:56 pm

It has crossed my mind at some point, but I have to admit that I’m still a sucker for Freddy lol.

I was telling myself to just stick to Freddys that have a license attached to them, but I still even pick up all the sporty ones even though I’m not really into sports and I’m a big fan of all these Halloween ones! Lol

I especially appreciate that Funko is able to do more with the head-sculpt compared to previous Freddy’s which were mainly just headswaps with minor paint changes.
Bah Weep Gragnah Weep Nini Bong!
FunKlub Member:2016000002828
Funko Collectibles Count:4000+
Pokémon GO! Pokédex: 807 | Trainer Name: DorkKn1ght

A few fellow Funko Funatics and I started a podcast: http://www.buzzsprout.com/1015576
FB: Dave Metran | IG: @dork_knight46 | TW: @davemetran

RedRoo

Postby RedRoo » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:12 pm

i think there defintly flooding the market a bit with him. its good for those who never went to events to pick one up ezy but it does effect those that were harder to get.
~Guy
TEAM BACON!
"With blood and rage of crimson red,

Ripped from a corpse so freshly dead,

Together with our hellish hate,

We'll burn you all--that is your fate!"

ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

thefunkohunko

Postby thefunkohunko » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:42 pm

It's a lot! While it's not a bad thing to have cool Freddys, it seemed a but more....special (?) only to see him at events vs NFT drops, for example.
Hey y’all, I'm Austin! I love putting smiles on people’s faces through my love for collecting and art!
Follow me on Instagram @thefunkohunko and check out my Funko art portfolio!
Aspring Funko artist!
In search of 2004 SDCC Funko-Mart items & old school Funko memorabilia!

LakerSpartan117

Postby LakerSpartan117 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:52 pm

I wanted to revisit this topic because they have been definitely overdoing Freddy a bit, but I also think they should make an effort to try and make Freddy more "mainstream".

I really liked the idea of an animated show for Freddy. Maybe get it picked up by Netflix, like what Studio MDHR did with Cuphead or even CD Projekt Red did with Cyberpunk Edgerunners.

Give more a reason for Freddy to be as produced as he is now.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Ginzo1622

Postby Ginzo1622 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:56 am

LakerSpartan117 wrote:I wanted to revisit this topic because they have been definitely overdoing Freddy a bit, but I also think they should make an effort to try and make Freddy more "mainstream".

I really liked the idea of an animated show for Freddy. Maybe get it picked up by Netflix, like what Studio MDHR did with Cuphead or even CD Projekt Red did with Cyberpunk Edgerunners.

Give more a reason for Freddy to be as produced as he is now.

That would be nice if it actually happens
Fright Night 2022

Don't stand in my way!!!

cliffd64
Hall of Fame Class of 2006
Hall of Fame Class of 2006

Postby cliffd64 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:25 am

In 2023 alone I have acquired about 28 or 29 new Freddies... but when you consider I traveled to SDCC and Fundays, and the shipments of NFT Royalty Freddies finally arriving, it's not unexpected... 6 of them just arrived from the Halloween series 2 NFT drop, 13 of them were from SDCC/Fundays/FunOnTheRun activities, and of course the royalties from several NFT drops. I didn't go to NYCC or it probably would have been more, and I suspect I'll get a few more deliveries of NFT royalty Freddies before the year is out. Trick is, just get what you love... don't have to have them all.
Image ImageImage Image Image Image Image

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:33 am

DrunkoPop wrote:
rexflexall wrote:
DrunkoPop wrote:

Lately for me the budget's been a bit on the low side! Saving up for the holiday season!

Kal-El-051

Postby Kal-El-051 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:59 am

I love my Freddy’s. I am buying more of him than anything else these days so I would say keep them coming!

Elviax

Postby Elviax » Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:01 am

cliffd64 wrote:In 2023 alone I have acquired about 28 or 29 new Freddies... but when you consider I traveled to SDCC and Fundays, and the shipments of NFT Royalty Freddies finally arriving, it's not unexpected... 6 of them just arrived from the Halloween series 2 NFT drop, 13 of them were from SDCC/Fundays/FunOnTheRun activities, and of course the royalties from several NFT drops. I didn't go to NYCC or it probably would have been more, and I suspect I'll get a few more deliveries of NFT royalty Freddies before the year is out. Trick is, just get what you love... don't have to have them all.

Exactly! With so many variations out now, get them from your fav IP!
Hello! My name's David, nice to meet you!

Anime/Pokemon Collector

Kuya_Kulture

Postby Kuya_Kulture » Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:23 pm

I admit i like a lot of the new freddys, but like most there is way to may variants so that makes it super hard for Freddy collector to complete their sets. I like it a little better when it was a little more rare and limited to few events. The past 2 year Fundays have been pure fire though, Fright Night stuff .... not so much
ImageImageImage

DrunkoPop

Postby DrunkoPop » Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:32 pm

rexflexall wrote:
DrunkoPop wrote:
rexflexall wrote:

Lately for me the budget's been a bit on the low side! Saving up for the holiday season!

That’s smart! :thumbleft:
Image Image
ImageImage

Wild_Flower85

Postby Wild_Flower85 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:32 pm

I wish they would make more keychain Freddy’s and Bittys

Return to “Pop!”