Anybody else think they’re overdoing it on Freddy lately?

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
Mr Yac

Anybody else think they’re overdoing it on Freddy lately?

Postby Mr Yac » Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:33 pm

I’m usually in the minority here on opinions, but am I the only one who thinks them taking Freddy from being a yearly offering that gets maybe a couple hundred pieces and turning him into a bi-monthly drop of thousands is really diminishing his appeal? Wanting a Freddy collection was my top priority when I first learned about him and Fundays, but now what was once such a special epic thing is starting to feel so mundane, which is sad and kind of how I’ve been feeling about collecting Funko in general. I dunno, maybe it’s the announcement of yet another NFT drop meaning a couple thousand new Freddys are destined for this world, but it just got me thinking , and I know how much you all hate me thinking so I’ll end it there.

CaseyJones14
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY

Re: Anybody else think they’re overdoing it on Freddy lately?

Postby CaseyJones14 » Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:37 pm

I definitely agree that it's going a little crazy. Here are some stats from the past year...

Fundays - 34
Fright Night - 33
NFT (going back to last year) - 27

Almost 100 new Freddy's in a year is pretty nuts.
Brett - caseyj0nes14 on Instagram
ISO - Dorbz and McNugget Protos!

DFWFunkoHunter

Postby DFWFunkoHunter » Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:43 pm

It’s a bit overwhelming for sure but I think they are trying to get more people into them. Sometimes it just takes the right one to get someone’s interest. Sometimes though too many too fast can just feel like omg I can’t do this lol.

Justsonice25

Postby Justsonice25 » Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:46 pm

Mr Yac wrote:I’m usually in the minority here on opinions, but am I the only one who thinks them taking Freddy from being a yearly offering that gets maybe a couple hundred pieces and turning him into a bi-monthly drop of thousands is really diminishing his appeal? Wanting a Freddy collection was my top priority when I first learned about him and Fundays, but now what was once such a special epic thing is starting to feel so mundane, which is sad and kind of how I’ve been feeling about collecting Funko in general. I dunno, maybe it’s the announcement of yet another NFT drop meaning a couple thousand new Freddys are destined for this world, but it just got me thinking , and I know how much you all hate me thinking so I’ll end it there.

I said the same thing in an NFT royalty discussion.
Like for the GOT I was glad to see it being Jon Snow instead of another Freddy since we're being oversaturated when them.

mongoose12

Postby mongoose12 » Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:46 pm

They can make 500 a year and I wouldn’t mind it. Freddy is important to the brand and I understand why Funko would want to get as much exposure as possible.

MarcuSFunko

Postby MarcuSFunko » Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:47 pm

Before this year, I really didn’t care much of going after many Freddy’s. But this past year I have gotten in to it more. Maybe make some a little less count, but don’t want them to make less. I would love to see some more 24 piece counts.
NYCC 2022
Fright Nights 2022

renardchua
Collector Of The Year
Collector Of The Year

Postby renardchua » Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:59 pm

MarcuSFunko wrote:Before this year, I really didn’t care much of going after many Freddy’s. But this past year I have gotten in to it more. Maybe make some a little less count, but don’t want them to make less. I would love to see some more 24 piece counts.

With the way things are going - I believe that LE12/24 is already a thing of the past.

The idea is that they want to accomodate more people to collect, thus the higher number of variety as well.
Last edited by renardchua on Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hi, I’m Renard. :freddy3:
Instagram: @renardchua

renardchua
Collector Of The Year
Collector Of The Year

Postby renardchua » Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:03 pm

mongoose12 wrote:They can make 500 a year and I wouldn’t mind it. Freddy is important to the brand and I understand why Funko would want to get as much exposure as possible.

Co-sign with you on this one on the overall idea of how Freddy is related to the brand.

But I believe the downside here is just given the sheer number of drops, being a completist is really not feasible anymore right now, so people will just be more inclined to be focusing on their fandoms.
Hi, I’m Renard. :freddy3:
Instagram: @renardchua

Martian1314

Postby Martian1314 » Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:09 pm

yes I have to agree.

runtodere

Postby runtodere » Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:39 pm

MarcuSFunko wrote:Before this year, I really didn’t care much of going after many Freddy’s. But this past year I have gotten in to it more. Maybe make some a little less count, but don’t want them to make less. I would love to see some more 24 piece counts.

I also think the 500 piece counts are pretty good - enough to be able to at least try for them but lmited enough where you could conceivably know everyone that has one.

mongoose12

Postby mongoose12 » Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:45 pm

renardchua wrote:
mongoose12 wrote:They can make 500 a year and I wouldn’t mind it. Freddy is important to the brand and I understand why Funko would want to get as much exposure as possible.

Co-sign with you on this one on the overall idea of how Freddy is related to the brand.

But I believe the downside here is just given the sheer number of drops, being a completist is really not feasible anymore right now, so people will just be more inclined to be focusing on their fandoms.

I see your second point as a good thing. Now Freddy’s related to certain fandoms may end up with actual fans vs a completionist only getting it to be complete. Love ya lol

sassypops

Postby sassypops » Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:02 pm

The more Freddy made the merrier it is IMO. Just need a Freddy Hiesenberg to be made.
greetings from the seven kingdoms

Breaking Bad Funko Pop introduce me to this hobby.

Pop count: 819

ig: @sillygorgeous

:colors:

fbingha

Postby fbingha » Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:04 pm

I'm okay with it since I only buy the Freddys that I like. I'm also quickly turning into just a Freddy collector since my usual Fandoms are no longer on Funko's radar.

Bad Motherfunko

Postby Bad Motherfunko » Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:19 pm

While its a lot that means more people can get their hands on a Freddy that they will likely enjoy so I feel its better than having less Freddy's.
Avatar Protos: https://i.imgur.com/iLdXwes.jpg
Collecting Funko since 2012.
Main Collections: Anything Avatar or Game of Thrones/House of the Dragon
Events Attended: Funko Hollywood Opening, Funkon '21, Fundays '22, SDCC '19/'22
Proud member of Funko Fiends (PSW) and The United Funko Family <3
Instagrams: @bad.motherfunko & @lollipop_customs

ISO Avatar the Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra Protos

jcrook

Postby jcrook » Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:25 pm

I think I liked it more when you got a Freddy at Fundays. Now, anyone can get one, doesn't mean it is a bad thing, but no longer as special.
Funko Fundays 2017
FunKon 2021
SDCC 2017, 2018, 2022

I go by Crook

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:34 pm

I agree, they are making too many freddies IMO.
ImageImageImage

Some people call me the orange hoodie

ISO funko Force creature from black lagoon chase Glow in the dark

Libertyroxx

Postby Libertyroxx » Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:39 pm

renardchua wrote:

With the way things are going - I believe that LE12/24 is already a think of the past.

The idea is that they want to accomodate more people to collect, thus the higher number of variety as well.

I agree that LE 12/24 Freddy's are probably as thing of the past. Personally I don't mind. A pop should not cost as much as a nice brand new car, that's just absurd in my opinion.

But I don't mind the amount of Freddy's being released.I love Freddy's, especially Halloween ones! But I'm also not trying to get every single one, just the ones I have a direct affinity for.

Anyone trying to be Freddy complete though? This release pace is a bit of a nightmare. Though fortunately only a few are really expensive.
Proud member of The United Funko Family
Fundays 2015 through 2019, 2022, 2023
FDO 7 NYC FDO 8 Sacramento FDO 9 Las Vegas
Fright Night 1 & 2 , HQ Grand Opening, Making Fun Premier, Funko Hollywood Grand Opening, Funkon 1

Funklub member # 14829
Collections Star Wars, IRON MAIDEN :headbang: , Doctor Who, Marvel, Movies, Freddy Funko, Spastik/Fantastik Plastik

ImageImage

BigM
HoF 2019 & CotM
HoF 2019 & CotM

Postby BigM » Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:43 pm

I can see both sides on this one. I love having Freddy’s but it’s becoming too hard to get every one of them that I like due to the number coming out.

Freddy is the mascot of the company so it’s a very important character for Funko. I don’t think making more variants is a bad thing. Pick and choose what you want. I’ve definitely cut back on which ones I’ll try to get and will try more for my specific fandoms vs getting them just to be more complete (which never was nor will going to happen).

Can’t imagine that there is anyone who is a true or as close as possible “complete” Freddy collector now. I know Rev was very close but I’m curious now due to NFT Freddy’s and everything else.
Mickey :SW7:
IG: Fuzzybunnyshogun
Looking for IRON MAIDEN POP PROTOS
Team Deadpool!
COTM 01/17

Fugly16

Postby Fugly16 » Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:20 pm

Overdoing it? Not for me, the more the better. But I will one hundred percent agree with the sentiment that this year we saw a ginormous wave of new Freddys into the mix.

Freddy Funko

Postby Freddy Funko » Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:44 pm

Hmm... *holds back tears*

mongoose12

Postby mongoose12 » Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:54 pm

Freddy Funko wrote:Hmm... *holds back tears*

I ride w Freddy, don’t worry. Lol

lazcommalisa
Rookie Of The year
Rookie Of The year

Postby lazcommalisa » Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:07 pm

I am a die hard Freddy fan so bring them on!!! I have been trying to get a bunch released this year, especially the fright night ones. The ones released this year have been nothing short of fantastic and I have been trying to get as many as I can.
:freddy2:
~Lisa

IG: itallstartedwitha_pop
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

lavery01
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby lavery01 » Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:30 pm

I’m absolutely loving it. Keep them coming. I know there’s been a bunch, but I haven’t even scratch the surface with getting most of the Freddy’s that were released. I’m so behind. lol
Hi I'm Latricia \:D/

mikechickenhead

Postby mikechickenhead » Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:40 pm

ALL THE FREDDYS
always freddy..
Never enough
HEY HO! FUNKO!

ImageImage Image Image
Fundays. 3 FDO. 3

supertoygiant
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby supertoygiant » Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:11 pm

Maybe some twilight zone Freddys on the horizon...
1st pop Marvel Thor bobble head and Captain America (2011) Walked into booth at SDCC and purchased in less than 5 minutes.

COTM 5/2019

FUNKLUB MEMBER #1893

1st dorbz Funko shop Freddy.

ISO CM Punk NIB or OOB

Kwiksilverpop

Postby Kwiksilverpop » Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:57 am

Definitely feels like a lot more have been released lately. Collectors will have to be more selective about their fandoms, being a completionist is too costly to keep up lol
Cons: Comikaze' 15, SDCC '16, NYCC '16, Blizzcon '16, ECCC '17, D23 '17, SDCC '17, Blizzcon '17, ECCC '18, SDCC' 18, NYCC '18, DCON '18, SDCC '19, NYCC' 21, SDCC '22
Events: Fundays '16, Fright Night '16, Fundays '17, HQ Grand Opening '17, Fundays '18, Fundays '19, Fundays '22

Boszdrew

Postby Boszdrew » Sat Oct 22, 2022 1:03 am

a lot of fans enjoying them especially to all new collectors and besides funko did a back to back con with both have events that has Freddys, plus you add funko nft's with FREDDY as royalty and Holloween Series, people will buy what they like to spent there money with and funko is taking that advantage..
Collecting Funko : 2018
SDCC : 2018, 2023
Wondercon 2018, 2019

Image Image

scullysdad

Postby scullysdad » Sat Oct 22, 2022 1:04 am

Before this year I had six Freddys, and thanks to the NFTs, FunDays, and Fright Night my collection is close to 40 (and that’s not counting the NFTs I have not gotten yet). I agree that there have been a lot of Freddys but still not too many for me.
Please Funko make Taylor Swift Pops!

Most wanted non-Taylor Pops: Carson Teva, Naru from Prey, The Last of Us TV show

Boszdrew

Postby Boszdrew » Sat Oct 22, 2022 1:06 am

scullysdad wrote:Before this year I had six Freddys, and thanks to the NFTs, FunDays, and Fright Night my collection is close to 40 (and that’s not counting the NFTs I have not gotten yet). I agree that there have been a lot of Freddys but still not too many for me.

i'm totally 100% the same haha...
Collecting Funko : 2018
SDCC : 2018, 2023
Wondercon 2018, 2019

Image Image

theraven00

Postby theraven00 » Sat Oct 22, 2022 1:25 am

I like it, there's more variety which makes it more likely to get a character you've been waiting for. I'd hate it if I was a completionist, but as someone that tries to collect characters I like it's made it more fun. Some of the NFT drops I've participated in primarily for the Freddy version (Transformers, DC series 2, Power Rangers, etc.). To that point, I think the NFT drops have been especially good! I just wish I didn't have to wait so long to get them.lol
Poppin'

digithor

Postby digithor » Sat Oct 22, 2022 3:22 am

It's a lot easier for people to get into the freddy line with the large amount of them coming out each year.
SDCC 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
Fundays 2018, 2019, 2021, 2023
HQ Grand Opening, ECCC Night and meetup at HQ, Hollywood Grand Opening, World Premier Making fun
Horror fanatic, GiTD collector, Star Wars
ImageImageImageImage

Anhtrung05

Postby Anhtrung05 » Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:34 am

I understand what you are talking about. I want to collect all the Freddy’s, but I don’t think it is possible for me. That is why I only collect Freddys that have a crown. :) The reason for this is because I collect out of box and if anyone comes to take my collection, I can use Freddy’s crown as defensive weapon

Ginzo1622

Postby Ginzo1622 » Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:41 am

Anhtrung05 wrote:I understand what you are talking about. I want to collect all the Freddy’s, but I don’t think it is possible for me. That is why I only collect Freddys that have a crown. :) The reason for this is because I collect out of box and if anyone comes to take my collection, I can use Freddy’s crown as defensive weapon

Wow that is awesome. Maybe you can share your collection here
Fundays 2022 - Proto Robots
Fright Night 2022
Fundays 2023 - Protomoa Wolves

Don't stand in my way!!!

:whdat:

netman97

Postby netman97 » Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:16 am

love all the new freddy Pops, a lot made though.
one day maybe i`ll get a social media freddy to go with the rest.
Wants-
Jam Master Jay , Tupac , Notorious Big
Public enemy - Chuck D , Flavor Flav,
Boo Berry, Frankenberry, Count Chocula
Unmasked Jason Vorhees Pop
Image Image Image

netman97

Postby netman97 » Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:17 am

love all the new freddy Pops, a lot made though.
one day maybe i`ll get a social media freddy to go with the rest.
Wants-
Jam Master Jay , Tupac , Notorious Big
Public enemy - Chuck D , Flavor Flav,
Boo Berry, Frankenberry, Count Chocula
Unmasked Jason Vorhees Pop
Image Image Image

post31

Postby post31 » Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:21 am

I love Freddy and am happy more people are starting to fall in love with him too. Like pops many are not for me so I don’t go for them. Plus the molds are constantly getting better. I could see where people going for all of them could be fatigued but luckily that’s not me.
SDCC 1998 - current
Fundays 2016, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
Pop Rangers, Killer Crowns, Lumberjacks
FDO8 2018 LA
FDO9 2023 SD
Making Fun premier
Funko Hollywood Grand Opening
Funkon 2021

Mawhonic7

Postby Mawhonic7 » Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:59 pm

I say the more the merrier. There have been so many great Freddy's this year. Feel bad for the completists but for those of use who pick and choose, it's been fun!
Hi! I’m Eric

ryanc_

Postby ryanc_ » Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:16 pm

I don't mind the quantity necessarily, but I am disappointed that many of the cooler ones are within the whole NFT system

mongoose12

Postby mongoose12 » Sat Oct 22, 2022 3:47 pm

ryanc_ wrote:I don't mind the quantity necessarily, but I am disappointed that many of the cooler ones are within the whole NFT system

It may be an attempt to draw attention to the new digital funko platform. It’s working in my opinion.

randig

Postby randig » Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:04 pm

mongoose12 wrote:
ryanc_ wrote:I don't mind the quantity necessarily, but I am disappointed that many of the cooler ones are within the whole NFT system

It may be an attempt to draw attention to the new digital funko platform. It’s working in my opinion.

I mean… I can’t stop buying em!
Fundays: 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019

ImageImage

Return to “Pop!”