Are Chases worth the Chase ?

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
Kwik_One

Re: Are Chases worth the Chase ?

Postby Kwik_One » Mon May 22, 2023 12:38 pm

Trujitsu Ninja wrote:In some cases no, Now for the most part you can just buy the chase in a bundle deal no having to wait in line, look around town or do an online order hoping to get lucky with the chase.

I have made so many friends that I spend time with outside of collecting from waiting in lines and chasing chases. So, for me, there is always the opportunity to make a new friend so I will continue to chase chases and hopefully make some new friends along the way.

Kwik_One

Postby Kwik_One » Mon May 22, 2023 12:44 pm

Dv8sian wrote:Yes, chasing the chase is part of the fun... especially with the Sodas!

Chasing soda chases can get VERY expensive really fast.

Jessedtaylor77

Postby Jessedtaylor77 » Mon May 22, 2023 12:53 pm

A lot of times I’ll just pay the mark up from someone for the chase. Try not to pay more then 3x cost price for chases.

spider-man_616

Postby spider-man_616 » Mon May 22, 2023 1:01 pm

Kwik_One wrote:
Trujitsu Ninja wrote:In some cases no, Now for the most part you can just buy the chase in a bundle deal no having to wait in line, look around town or do an online order hoping to get lucky with the chase.

I have made so many friends that I spend time with outside of collecting from waiting in lines and chasing chases. So, for me, there is always the opportunity to make a new friend so I will continue to chase chases and hopefully make some new friends along the way.

i wish i had the time to wait in lines for store openings to try to get a chase

LakerSpartan117

Postby LakerSpartan117 » Mon May 22, 2023 1:28 pm

I remember when I first started collecting, I was driving around every B&N/Target/Hot Topic/Walmart/etc. looking for chases. I was obsessed with getting them because it was part of the hunt. Eventually money got tighter, gas and car maintenance was expensive. And I only started collecting chases for the series/line I wanted to collect.

Chases started to get lazier and lazier and I lost interest in their allure. I feel like the community has come up with better chase ideas than Funko has in a while.
ImageImageImageImageImage

sdcccrasher

Postby sdcccrasher » Mon May 22, 2023 2:01 pm

Jessedtaylor77 wrote:A lot of times I’ll just pay the mark up from someone for the chase. Try not to pay more then 3x cost price for chases.

I agree ... It's a lot easier and less stress that way. =D> =D> =D>
Hello! I'm Roger :freddy1:

Munke

Postby Munke » Mon May 22, 2023 2:26 pm

It’s hit or miss for me - the main problem I have is with the sheer number of pops that have chases now (I’m looking at you One Piece) - I know the 1/6 makes for better production costs and all - but finding a chase mean something is what I miss.

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Mon May 22, 2023 3:41 pm

I don't like the chase anymore, too much wasted time and gas LOL!

Trujitsu Ninja

Postby Trujitsu Ninja » Mon May 22, 2023 10:03 pm

spider-man_616 wrote:
Kwik_One wrote:
Trujitsu Ninja wrote:In some cases no, Now for the most part you can just buy the chase in a bundle deal no having to wait in line, look around town or do an online order hoping to get D lucky with the chase.

Definitely made lots of new friends waiting for chases but in my case my area has now become full of toxic people that I don’t wish to hang around with so now I just get the chase bundles. Well that’s on my end but if you have a good crowd and have the time get that chase then for sure keep hunting. #leave no chase behind :D
:smt027 Trujitsu Ninja
Current collection count 540 updated 06/08/22
Interest pops Anime MHA and Naruto. Movie pops Pennywise, Killer Clowns and Warriors.

scullysdad

Postby scullysdad » Mon May 22, 2023 11:39 pm

LakerSpartan117 wrote:I remember when I first started collecting, I was driving around every B&N/Target/Hot Topic/Walmart/etc. looking for chases. I was obsessed with getting them because it was part of the hunt. Eventually money got tighter, gas and car maintenance was expensive. And I only started collecting chases for the series/line I wanted to collect.

I’m still a ‘no chase left behind’ kind of person but I have stopped playing chase roulette with lines I don’t collect. It was too expensive and I can’t tell you how many random commons I have for lines I don’t care about at all.
Please Funko make Taylor Swift Pops!

Most wanted non-Taylor Pops: Carson Teva, Naru from Prey, The Last of Us TV show

LakerSpartan117

Postby LakerSpartan117 » Tue May 23, 2023 3:13 am

scullysdad wrote:
LakerSpartan117 wrote:I remember when I first started collecting, I was driving around every B&N/Target/Hot Topic/Walmart/etc. looking for chases. I was obsessed with getting them because it was part of the hunt. Eventually money got tighter, gas and car maintenance was expensive. And I only started collecting chases for the series/line I wanted to collect.

I’m still a ‘no chase left behind’ kind of person but I have stopped playing chase roulette with lines I don’t collect. It was too expensive and I can’t tell you how many random commons I have for lines I don’t care about at all.

I've 100% been there and I remember trying to do a "chase wall" and it looked awful. Just extremely expensive. And then I always felt I was depriving someone of a chase that collected that line. But then I also remembered that some people would probably see a chase, buy it, then sell it lol

But if I see a chase on a shelf, I still get the urge to splurge and pick it up. I just buy chase bundles if there is a chase for a line I collect. No more roulette

CaliCollectibles
CotM & CotY
CotM & CotY

Postby CaliCollectibles » Tue May 23, 2023 4:15 am

Yes! As long as you want it, nothing will stop you from getting it. I'm selective and don't need every chase, but certain ones I will play chase roulette (buy up to 3) or just spend up to get it. In those instances, it's always worth it.
Hi, I'm L.J. :spiderman: US Navy Veteran

Proto ISO: US Navy Sailor (Dress Whites), Inspector Gadget, Romeo (Romeo & Juliet).

Instagram/Twitter/YouTube: CaliCollectibles
https://www.instagram.com/calicollectibles

friskykillface

Postby friskykillface » Tue May 23, 2023 4:17 am

I think you’d be better off just being the chase
Way to many stores/employees hide the chase or you need to camp out hours in advance

But then again I always take L’s when I try for chases but at least I don’t return them like those that do it on Amazon
Hey, take care and have an awesome day.

RedRoo

Postby RedRoo » Tue May 23, 2023 11:59 am

Well there was a real chase for them back when they were 1/36 but also when they were that rare there were issues of people pulling pops off the shelf trying to get them and then stores getting them and reselling them for quite a bit.

While the rareity drop did decrease i gotta say i still think there good. Because there are alot more ones out there with cool variants (but on the other end there are alot which are bleh to)

I think they can still be worth it and finding one in public is always golden.
~Guy
TEAM BACON!
"With blood and rage of crimson red,

Ripped from a corpse so freshly dead,

Together with our hellish hate,

We'll burn you all--that is your fate!"

ImageImage

spider-man_616

Postby spider-man_616 » Tue May 23, 2023 2:11 pm

Trujitsu Ninja wrote:
spider-man_616 wrote:
Kwik_One wrote:

Definitely made lots of new friends waiting for chases but in my case my area has now become full of toxic people that I don’t wish to hang around with so now I just get the chase bundles. Well that’s on my end but if you have a good crowd and have the time get that chase then for sure keep hunting. #leave no chase behind :D

I totally understand that feeling of getting influenced by people around you. Good people bring good vibes

Lord Bacon

Postby Lord Bacon » Tue May 23, 2023 7:02 pm

As others have mentioned in this thread, many of us hunted down Chases mostly because of the rarity of them. Even if you didn't want them, they made for great trade fodder. The hunt was always fun and catching one in the wild was always a great feeling. For me, all Chases were worth the chase back in the day.

Now that Chases aren't as rare anymore, I'm more selective and only go after the ones that I like. I really don't go hunting down them down anymore in stores, so I often just pay the premium to buy the ones that I want from someone else.
Image Image Image Image Image

Trujitsu Ninja

Postby Trujitsu Ninja » Tue May 23, 2023 11:48 pm

spider-man_616 wrote:
Trujitsu Ninja wrote:
spider-man_616 wrote:i wish i had the time to wait in lines for store openings to try to get a chase

I totally understand that feeling of getting influenced by people around you. Good people bring good vibes

Yeah some of those guys got jobs in these spots on purpose to help their group out from what I heard last. I did find a random chase at fye the other day in the afternoon so maybe I’ll start going at those times when no one is waiting around.
Interest pops Anime MHA and Naruto. Movie pops Pennywise, Killer Clowns and Warriors.

Bry2487

Postby Bry2487 » Wed May 24, 2023 11:34 am

For me, depends on the chases because there are chases that they are worthwhile to capture with a huge significant amount of details that are very different from the common versions. At the end of the day, is what we collect am I right ?

spider-man_616

Postby spider-man_616 » Wed May 24, 2023 12:11 pm

Trujitsu Ninja wrote:
spider-man_616 wrote:
Trujitsu Ninja wrote:Definitely made lots of new friends waiting for chases but in my case my area has now become full of toxic people that I don’t wish to hang around with so now I just get the chase bundles. Well that’s on my end but if you have a good crowd and have the time get that chase then for sure keep hunting. #leave no chase behind :D

Yeah some of those guys got jobs in these spots on purpose to help their group out from what I heard last. I did find a random chase at fye the other day in the afternoon so maybe I’ll start going at those times when no one is waiting around.

hella lucky catching a restock like that

joecolt

Postby joecolt » Wed May 24, 2023 12:47 pm

Unfortunately no. Not since store employees got savvy and started to hide them for themselves to re-sell or keep.

mastakimchi

Postby mastakimchi » Wed May 24, 2023 12:48 pm

honestly i dont really hunt for chases anymore, but as a funko collector i feel like its a rite of passage. i mean every collector has a story about their first chase or how they got a hold of their favorite one.

WarHmongHer

Postby WarHmongHer » Wed May 24, 2023 1:29 pm

The completionist in me says yes!!! My wallet says nooooooo!!! Lol

jagpop

Postby jagpop » Wed May 24, 2023 1:33 pm

joecolt wrote:Unfortunately no. Not since store employees got savvy and started to hide them for themselves to re-sell or keep.

I've had the same experience. If you are not lined up at a HT at the break of dawn, you won't get anything. When I visit my local Gamestop, they never have anything. Maybe I should get a part time job there? Hmmm...

I am not in danger, I am the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!

joecolt

Postby joecolt » Wed May 24, 2023 11:00 pm

jagpop wrote:
joecolt wrote:Unfortunately no. Not since store employees got savvy and started to hide them for themselves to re-sell or keep.

I've had the same experience. If you are not lined up at a HT at the break of dawn, you won't get anything. When I visit my local Gamestop, they never have anything. Maybe I should get a part time job there? Hmmm...

They're always hiring bro. Get dem chases!

TriFeckTa

Postby TriFeckTa » Wed May 24, 2023 11:10 pm

They are only worth it to me if they are Iron Man chases. And, I don't think we have any Iron Man chase pops out there. lol

Keep me in mind if y'all have one of the Iron Man wobbler chases I still need ;)
Hey there, I'm Michael and I am an Iron Man Junkie!
Iron Man POP! Collection (Production Pieces): COMPLETE
Iron Man Proto Count: 50
Iron Man Wacky Wobblers: IN PROGRESS

ISO: Gold Mark 2 Iron Man CHASE Wobbler, Gold Mark 1 Iron Man CHASE Wobbler, Gold and Silver 1/12 Freddy Stark Wobblers, and IRON MAN RELATED PROTOS

Check out my IG: @triifeckta
ImageImage

Panda

Postby Panda » Wed May 24, 2023 11:37 pm

Chases was fun in the beginning before store employees started to put them aside for themselves or their friends

wolfy233

Postby wolfy233 » Thu May 25, 2023 2:23 am

Once specialty sites started selling common/chase combos in abundance, I feel it kind of deflated the market on the regular, non-exclusive chases. They just have not been sought after like they once were since then. Having said that, I'll still seek out very specific ones, like certain anime characters, but gone are the days of "gotta catch 'em all."
Last edited by wolfy233 on Thu May 25, 2023 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dewdis

Postby Dewdis » Thu May 25, 2023 2:24 am

I used to have fun hunting them down. Soda chases are still cool to me!

funkopopfanatic

Postby funkopopfanatic » Thu May 25, 2023 2:26 am

wolfy233 wrote:Once specialty sites started selling common/chase combos in abundance, I feel it kind of deflated the market on the regular, non-exclusive chases. They just have not been sought after like they once were since then.

Agreed. The chases aren’t like they used to be. I have almost a 1000 pops and 2 chases lol
SDCC Since 2007, Fundays 2018 & 2023!
Collecting Funko since 2011

Trujitsu Ninja

Postby Trujitsu Ninja » Thu May 25, 2023 7:15 am

spider-man_616 wrote:
Trujitsu Ninja wrote:
spider-man_616 wrote:I totally understand that feeling of getting influenced by people around you. Good people bring good vibes

hella lucky catching a restock like that

Yeah it was the px exclusive eragon.

PopPChulo

Postby PopPChulo » Thu May 25, 2023 1:08 pm

I don’t go out my way for a chase unless it’s something I can’t live without & even then; it doesn’t really go beyond one order of chase roulette lol if I don’t get it I just don’t get it, and if I want it bad enough ; I’ll buy on secondary. For the most part though - 9 out of 10 I’m not chasing a chase Lolol. I do think that Chases are healthy for the community though, beginning collectors really get a kick out of looking for a chase (I remember it was a thrill for me in the beginning to) but after you’ve chased a chase so many times you become a hardened war veteran that utilizes their time different lol lol so in short, I guess it’s worth for the bonding experience but not so much as far as long term value
PopPChulo

Funko Enthusiast/Creative Idea Expert/Music Analyst/Pop Culture Geek :freddy3:

"Creativity is all around you.. How you chose to use that creativity is at your disgression" - Pop-P Chulo

JRJones92

Postby JRJones92 » Thu May 25, 2023 1:09 pm

Jessedtaylor77 wrote:A lot of times I’ll just pay the mark up from someone for the chase. Try not to pay more then 3x cost price for chases.

Same, I like a good deal
-Jennifer-
♡ I collect pretty much anything I think is cool O:)
ISO: SDCC 13' bloody predator and bloody alien LE 1008/ OG sonic, knuckles, and tails/ master chief gold blockbuster exclusive, master chief Barnes and nobles exclusive, resident evil and gears of War lineup

jyc123

Postby jyc123 » Thu May 25, 2023 1:16 pm

Panda wrote:Chases was fun in the beginning before store employees started to put them aside for themselves or their friends

That's exactly my reason for no longer chase hunting at my local Hot Topic, sigh :(
Follow me on IG: @funko_collectorz \:D/
Link is https://www.instagram.com/funko_collectorz/?hl=en

I have over 500 pops, someone help!

Pogiboy67

Postby Pogiboy67 » Thu May 25, 2023 1:24 pm

yeah id rather shell out the extra instead of wasting money on multiples trying to find the chase
:freddy2: POGIBOY67

ImageImageImage

caziusclay

Postby caziusclay » Thu May 25, 2023 1:27 pm

PopPChulo wrote:I don’t go out my way for a chase unless it’s something I can’t live without & even then; it doesn’t really go beyond one order of chase roulette lol if I don’t get it I just don’t get it, and if I want it bad enough ; I’ll buy on secondary. For the most part though - 9 out of 10 I’m not chasing a chase Lolol. I do think that Chases are healthy for the community though, beginning collectors really get a kick out of looking for a chase (I remember it was a thrill for me in the beginning to) but after you’ve chased a chase so many times you become a hardened war veteran that utilizes their time different lol lol so in short, I guess it’s worth for the bonding experience but not so much as far as long term value

All of this. The pandemic changed a lot of our habits when it comes to collecting. I noticed this when I wasn't as motivated to wake up super early and wait in line for shared convention exclusives at the mall or not really seeing others line up early for a Hot Topic chase. And yeah, if I want a Chase enough I'll find it on secondary or be able to trade for it at some point.
Instagram: @djcaziusclay

PickyFunkos

Postby PickyFunkos » Thu May 25, 2023 1:34 pm

Z_PopCollector wrote:Overtime I’ve noticed chases aren’t much different than the actual common/reg variant! Feel as if they gotten lazy with the chases lately! For example: Speed RacerChase, Samurai Jack Chase, and Luck from Black Clover Chase are all different molds other than just having eyes shut or open as the difference! Don’t get me wrong I still like going on a hunt but the lack of detail in the difference of the chases have had me feeling swindled 8-[

I love the chase. but I'm 100% out on the soda chase hunt. lol. I've got too many common sodas. haha

Darthawz

Postby Darthawz » Tue May 30, 2023 7:25 pm

I think if they make a chase for a certain character, then they they shouldn’t make that many molds for that character. That way it keeps the chase and common still somewhat special.

FunkoVandal413

Postby FunkoVandal413 » Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:25 am

Not anymore unfortunately. Hunting chases was so fun when you knew you were gonna end up with a mini grail
IG Manifiesto_413
Funko Collector since 2011, dedicated and with a crown tattoo. My biggest goals are to become a HoF member and attend Fundays someday.
C2E2 '19, '20, '21, '23
FunKon '21
Fan Expo '22, '23
Anime Magic '22, '23
Anime Central '23
Anime Senpai '23
Days of the Dead Staff '19, '21, '22, '23
Anime Midwest Staff '23

:freddy2:

drtorch

Postby drtorch » Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:09 pm

I am torn, the excitement of getting the chases is so much fun! I have decided to start buying the chases :(

drtorch

Postby drtorch » Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:10 pm

I am torn, the excitement of getting the chases is so much fun! I have decided to start buying the chases :(

Return to “Pop!”