Are Chases worth the Chase ?

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
Marvel_Mama

Re: Are Chases worth the Chase ?

Postby Marvel_Mama » Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:28 pm

hpellot wrote:
divade23 wrote:when the molds are different it is disappointing. Very hard to even hunt them anymore. I usually have to trade to get the ones i really want instead of finding in the wild. those were the good ol days.

I rather a different mold so that it has more variety. Finding a chase in the wild is dead now a days is dead in california.

Mine was a typo, i meant disappointing when it isnt different mold. anymore no point in hunting for the same thing in diff color most the time.
Diedre Loves her Funko Family
marvel_mama444 on insta - formerly Divade23 Marvel_Mama

Libertyroxx

Postby Libertyroxx » Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:03 pm

Depends on the chase. My most recent was Iron Maiden "Stranger in a Strange Land" Eddie. Completely different mold than the common (Somewhere in Time). I absolutely love it. And many chases are great. But yeah, some I just don't bother with. Different mold is always a win in my book.
Proud member of The United Funko Family
Fundays 2015 through 2019, 2022, 2023
FDO 7 NYC FDO 8 Sacramento FDO 9 Las Vegas
Fright Night 1 & 2 , HQ Grand Opening, Making Fun Premier, Funko Hollywood Grand Opening, Funkon 1

Funklub member # 14829
Collections Star Wars, IRON MAIDEN :headbang: , Doctor Who, Marvel, Movies, Freddy Funko, Spastik/Fantastik Plastik

ImageImage

slimpicks

Postby slimpicks » Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:36 pm

like others have said . chases where fun when they were actually in the wild but since now employees set aside chases for themselves or their friends its not as fun. also this goes for online stores selling bundles for chases. no really hunt just spend more money.
Charles aka slimpicks
instagram: Funko_slimpicks
ImageImage
Funko Fundays - 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022, 2023
Funko Fright night - 2016
Funko HQ grand opening - 2017
Funko "Making Fun - The Story of Funko" - 2018
Funko HQ Hollywood - 2019
Funkon Hollywood 2021
FDO San Diego 2023

Meowmix4

Postby Meowmix4 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:48 pm

slimpicks wrote:like others have said . chases where fun when they were actually in the wild but since now employees set aside chases for themselves or their friends its not as fun. also this goes for online stores selling bundles for chases. no really hunt just spend more money.

Yeah I agree, I've been to a few events in person and the favoritism/lack of organization can really take away from the fun :(

Getting a chase is already hard enough as is, please dont make it harder [-o<

Charger14
Hall of Fame Class of 2023
Hall of Fame Class of 2023

Postby Charger14 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:55 pm

If its something I really want, I just order a box of 6 so I'm guaranteed the chase.
WOBBLER WANT LIST:
GROOVY GHOULIES - MUST HAVE
HECKLE & JECKLE
20" GALACTUS
DC SUPERHEROES

spider-man_616

Postby spider-man_616 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:01 am

Z_PopCollector wrote:Overtime I’ve noticed chases aren’t much different than the actual common/reg variant! Feel as if they gotten lazy with the chases lately! For example: Speed RacerChase, Samurai Jack Chase, and Luck from Black Clover Chase are all different molds other than just having eyes shut or open as the difference! Don’t get me wrong I still like going on a hunt but the lack of detail in the difference of the chases have had me feeling swindled 8-[

some chases are worth it and some aren't. like I really like the armored luffy chase or bankai ichigo because the details look nice, but I am not a fan of any of the diecast chases or the clear chase of batman beyond

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:26 am

spider-man_616 wrote:
Z_PopCollector wrote:Overtime I’ve noticed chases aren’t much different than the actual common/reg variant! Feel as if they gotten lazy with the chases lately! For example: Speed RacerChase, Samurai Jack Chase, and Luck from Black Clover Chase are all different molds other than just having eyes shut or open as the difference! Don’t get me wrong I still like going on a hunt but the lack of detail in the difference of the chases have had me feeling swindled 8-[

some chases are worth it and some aren't. like I really like the armored luffy chase or bankai ichigo because the details look nice, but I am not a fan of any of the diecast chases or the clear chase of batman beyond

I like the clear chase for batman beyond
ImageImageImage

Some people call me the orange hoodie

ISO funko Force creature from black lagoon chase Glow in the dark

DrunkoPop

Postby DrunkoPop » Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:52 pm

Charger14 wrote:If its something I really want, I just order a box of 6 so I'm guaranteed the chase.

Exactly or you can order a common & chase bundle practically from any where. :freddy3:
Image Image
ImageImage

L3g3nD33

Postby L3g3nD33 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:41 pm

I gave up on Chases. As Funko has become more and more mainstream, its virtually impossible to find Chases in my area. Either store employees take them before they hit shelves (GameStop, Target) or they get marked up way above retail (Newbury Comics, LCS). Its easier to just pay $30 for a Chase then waste gas and time driving around to stores.
Collecting Funko since 2016
Funko Fundays 2018, 2022, 2023
Funko Fright Night 2022
Funatics Day Out 9
San Diego Comic-Con 2019, 2022, 2023, 2024
New York Comic Con 2021, 2022, 2023

Image Image Image Image Image

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:11 pm

L3g3nD33 wrote:I gave up on Chases. As Funko has become more and more mainstream, its virtually impossible to find Chases in my area. Either store employees take them before they hit shelves (GameStop, Target) or they get marked up way above retail (Newbury Comics, LCS). Its easier to just pay $30 for a Chase then waste gas and time driving around to stores.

All this is true!

V2daTizzo

Postby V2daTizzo » Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:18 pm

L3g3nD33 wrote:I gave up on Chases. As Funko has become more and more mainstream, its virtually impossible to find Chases in my area. Either store employees take them before they hit shelves (GameStop, Target) or they get marked up way above retail (Newbury Comics, LCS). Its easier to just pay $30 for a Chase then waste gas and time driving around to stores.

yup i saw first hand here that game stop employees save the chase/exclusive pops for themselves

darqa

Postby darqa » Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:43 pm

V2daTizzo wrote:

yup i saw first hand here that game stop employees save the chase/exclusive pops for themselves

That's probably why I've never seen them in a store before! Not for lack of trying.

We got into collecting too late I think to have taken part in the golden age of the chase hunt.

L3g3nD33

Postby L3g3nD33 » Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:25 pm

darqa wrote:
V2daTizzo wrote:

That's probably why I've never seen them in a store before! Not for lack of trying.

We got into collecting too late I think to have taken part in the golden age of the chase hunt.

I loved the Chase hunt 3-4 years ago. I worked near B&N and would go every day to check the Pop section.
Collecting Funko since 2016
Funko Fundays 2018, 2022, 2023
Funko Fright Night 2022
Funatics Day Out 9
San Diego Comic-Con 2019, 2022, 2023, 2024
New York Comic Con 2021, 2022, 2023

Image Image Image Image Image

Blitzfreeze

Postby Blitzfreeze » Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:23 am

The problem with chases is corruption and greed. Every Hot Topic or Gamestop I've gone to basically flaunts how the employees will grab the chases or text their friends who will buy them long before they get placed on the store shelves.
ImageImageImageImageImage
SDCC 1999-2023

Ginzo1622

Postby Ginzo1622 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:00 am

Blitzfreeze wrote:The problem with chases is corruption and greed. Every Hot Topic or Gamestop I've gone to basically flaunts how the employees will grab the chases or text their friends who will buy them long before they get placed on the store shelves.

I guess we can't do anything about it since it's hard to control employees. Some employees are collectors too so it's really hard to stop that.
Fundays 2022 - Proto Robots
Fright Night 2022
Fundays 2023 - Protomoa Wolves

Don't stand in my way!!!

:whdat:

Ginzo1622

Postby Ginzo1622 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:01 am

Blitzfreeze wrote:The problem with chases is corruption and greed. Every Hot Topic or Gamestop I've gone to basically flaunts how the employees will grab the chases or text their friends who will buy them long before they get placed on the store shelves.

I guess we can't do anything about it since it's hard to control employees. Some employees are collectors too so it's really hard to stop that.
Fright Night 2022

Don't stand in my way!!!

Mario Wario

Postby Mario Wario » Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:54 pm

The GameStops and Hot Topics I go to in my area don’t do that.
:freddy1:

Blitzfreeze

Postby Blitzfreeze » Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:16 pm

Mario Wario wrote:

I'm envious, I'm in SoCal where the cost of living is the worst in the entire US, everyone hustles here to make ends meet.
ImageImageImageImageImage
SDCC 1999-2023

spider-man_616

Postby spider-man_616 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:04 am

hpellot wrote:
spider-man_616 wrote:

For me, the common looks better than the clear chase

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:08 am

spider-man_616 wrote:
hpellot wrote:
spider-man_616 wrote:

For me, the common looks better than the clear chase

I really like the mold
ImageImageImage

Some people call me the orange hoodie

ISO funko Force creature from black lagoon chase Glow in the dark

LoneWolf72

Postby LoneWolf72 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:50 am

El_PANDA wrote:
LoneWolf72 wrote:To me, chases are nice because they're another variety of your favorite pops. But the best part is in the name itself, the thrill of the chase to find them. It's part of the fun of collecting.

Yeah it is a great feeling finding them in the wild but so rare for me

Same here, but it doesn't stop me from trying lol.
I'm Chad AKA Mr. StarWarner.
Image Image
Collecting since 2013
Fundays: 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
Virtual Con (2020), and Funkon (2021)
Funko Panel, Bingo Night (SDCC)
Funko Panel, Hall H (SDCC)
Fright Night San Diego
Funko HQ Grand Opening
FDO: Los Angeles (×2), Sacramento, and Baltimore (×2)

Alanamaslama

Postby Alanamaslama » Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:15 am

Mario Wario wrote:

Where I am it’s either employees or scalpers for pops. I see the same people lining up hours ahead of time whenever HT posts a chase restocking on their Instagram. The only chases I’ve ever found in the wild were really damaged, non-pops like Vinyl Gold, or sodas.
Hey, I’m Alan!

Events checked off:

Funko Fundays 2017, FunKon 2021
SDCC 1999, 2017-2019, 2022, 2023
WonderCon 2019
Comic Con Revolution Ontario 2017, 2018, 2023
Los Angeles Comic Con 2016, 2018, 2019

Ginzo1622

Postby Ginzo1622 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:17 am

Alanamaslama wrote:
Mario Wario wrote:

Where I am it’s either employees or scalpers for pops. I see the same people lining up hours ahead of time whenever HT posts a chase restocking on their Instagram. The only chases I’ve ever found in the wild were really damaged, non-pops like Vinyl Gold, or sodas.

I agree with this that's why I rather buy online if I missed call it a day
Fright Night 2022

Don't stand in my way!!!

Trujitsu Ninja

Postby Trujitsu Ninja » Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:18 am

Ginzo1622 wrote:
Alanamaslama wrote:
Mario Wario wrote:The GameStops and Hot Topics I go to in my area don’t do that.

I agree with this that's why I rather buy online if I missed call it a day

Yeah gamestop employees will look through the load first before putting it out. Not all of them just some of them at different locations. Hot topic employees are not to talk about what’s coming out but that info does get passed to friends. Yeah I just buy the chase online and if it’s exclusive to a store here I just buy the overseas one. Not dealing with people and shady employees I just pay extra to avoid that.
:smt027 Trujitsu Ninja
Current collection count 540 updated 06/08/22
Interest pops Anime MHA and Naruto. Movie pops Pennywise, Killer Clowns and Warriors.

oobcollector

Postby oobcollector » Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:03 pm

Way back 2012... the hunt was fun... in my area at least, we can find random chases in stores same price as regular. Nowadays, lining up or waiting online for hours and buying bundles with pops that you don't want just to have a chance of chase kinda takes the fun away. Sometimes you have to buy 6 regular pops to get one chase. (i don't need 6 regular pops of 1 character) you'll also won't see chases in store nowadays, everything has been sorted before it hit the shelves. If i really want the chase, I just wait for other collectors to sell theirs.

Alanamaslama

Postby Alanamaslama » Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:29 pm

oobcollector wrote:Way back 2012... the hunt was fun... in my area at least, we can find random chases in stores same price as regular. Nowadays, lining up or waiting online for hours and buying bundles with pops that you don't want just to have a chance of chase kinda takes the fun away. Sometimes you have to buy 6 regular pops to get one chase. (i don't need 6 regular pops of 1 character) you'll also won't see chases in store nowadays, everything has been sorted before it hit the shelves. If i really want the chase, I just wait for other collectors to sell theirs.

Finding a chase is nice, but I actually don’t like the 1/6 odds. They’re too high, which triggers my gambling itch. For awhile I caught myself buying 2-3 of the same thing online for a chance at it. Those bundles are within my budget, but it would really add up because they constantly release new pops with chases. I just avoid them all together. I just wait for collectors to sell theirs, sometimes pretty close to retail because there’s so many on the aftermarket.

Also a with how many of a single pop and its chase are produced, in addition to the higher odds, it kind of lends itself to get eaten up by the camping scalpers. If they get wind that something is in stock, they camp out and they’re guaranteed one or two. If the odds were much lower, say 1/72, I wonder if people would even bother camping out since most stores won’t stock 72 of something and they only might get one chase in. Those online chase bundles would be impractical, too. Also, I think most people would feel more satisfied with their commons knowing it would be so unlikely to get a chase anyway.
Hey, I’m Alan!

Events checked off:

Funko Fundays 2017, FunKon 2021
SDCC 1999, 2017-2019, 2022, 2023
WonderCon 2019
Comic Con Revolution Ontario 2017, 2018, 2023
Los Angeles Comic Con 2016, 2018, 2019

Karubin

Postby Karubin » Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:40 pm

The hunt was fun a few years ago. Now is just buy the chase bundle. Funko Hollywood is on my way home from work, so I was fortunate to get chases for NBA Gold, One Piece, and Chester Hollywood exclusive.

Calvin
IG: karubin_funko
Twitter: Karubin_funko

Main Line: DBZ, MHA, Naruto, NBA, Anime, Kingdom Hearts, and Overwatch
Sub Line: Freddy Funko, Pop Asia, Marvel, DC, and etc.
Pop!: 2,000+
Dorbz: 150+
ISO: Atomic Freddy & Hall H Freddy

Funko events attended FUNday 2019: Team Loko Moko, Funko Hollywood Grand Opening, FunKon 2021, Virtual FUNday 2021: Team Proto Punks

thebigdog14

Postby thebigdog14 » Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:17 pm

I agree. If I'm going through the effort to find the chase, I want a new mold/outfit. Otherwise, I'll go for only the chase if it's the same mold as the common, but a different color, GITD, metallic, chrome, flocked, etc.
SDCC 2014-2019, 2022, 2023
SWC 2019
Funko Fundays 2019, 2022, 2023

zackispoppin

Postby zackispoppin » Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:08 pm

Most chases now are so lazy and end up being <$25 so it’s not even worth playing chase roulette or hunting. Some of the good ones (imo ones like Britney Spears and Iron Maiden) are definitely worth it but most are just metallic or have a small insignificant difference that discourages me from paying 2-5 times the cost of the common.
Yes... we're still here! Hoping Fundays 2024 will be my first! :bounce:

zonkttc

Postby zonkttc » Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:40 pm

I would 100% chase all, if they made chases of anyone in star wars who is holding a light saber with gitd saber versions.

VoltaMikeV7

Postby VoltaMikeV7 » Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:43 pm

I dont like the term lazy, especially since classic chases were always just slight differences. We have been spoiled with detailed sculpts we forget sometimes subtle is better. Either way, ill never pass on a chase. . .except Jafar Genie glow lol
VOLTA [Miiike]
IG: @Voltas_Vault
Image Image Image Image ImageImageImage

WarHmongHer

Postby WarHmongHer » Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:52 pm

I'm gunna start a 2nd and 3rd Job working at gs and ht just to grab chases too. Lol

WarHmongHer

Postby WarHmongHer » Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:54 pm

But for realz. I just buy the ones I need for my collection by the case of 6 now. Since many of the chase bundles I see on websites pricing isn't that far off from the case of 6. Might as well grab 4 extra commons to use as....Stocking stuffers. Lol

Darthawz

Postby Darthawz » Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:24 pm

DrunkoPop wrote:
Kulick wrote:I kind of agree with you. It is a difficult decision BUT as a collector I MUST HAVE ALL OF THE VARIANTS or else its not a complete set

Right but then it gets out of hand when so many variants start to drop.

So true. I feel like they have done so many DBZ pops last couple years. Back when I started there was only a handful and I had to sell that fandom cuz I couldn’t keep up with all the drops.

DiegoLo

Postby DiegoLo » Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:48 pm

It's a hard call, but for me as many said Chases are not so different nowadays (Maybe for production cost or something I guess)
Funko Collectibles Count:1000+ (Need more space)
ISO Freddy Flux (4 of them)

SDCC 2018 - 2019, 2023
NYCC 2021
Fundays (Soon)

9fingerdevil

Postby 9fingerdevil » Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:50 pm

I feel like with the amount they make now of each figure the chases are just slightly harder to find commons. They should go back to 1/36 chase odds

WinterBz

Postby WinterBz » Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:09 pm

islander671 wrote:

I used to love going to places to hunt for Chases in the wild, however my desire to continue stopped not because of the lack of details or differences, it was due to more of the fact that Employees of said local stores were hoarding them on release day. Knowing that fact killed my desire to hunt for them, so now I dont bother looking and have turned to Soda Chases as they are a bit harder for people to know which is which.

My exact sentiments on chases…a lot are just lazy chases that have me questioning if they’re worth my time and money

DrunkoPop

Postby DrunkoPop » Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:11 pm

Darthawz wrote:
DrunkoPop wrote:
Kulick wrote:I kind of agree with you. It is a difficult decision BUT as a collector I MUST HAVE ALL OF THE VARIANTS or else its not a complete set

Right but then it gets out of hand when so many variants start to drop.

So true. I feel like they have done so many DBZ pops last couple years. Back when I started there was only a handful and I had to sell that fandom cuz I couldn’t keep up with all the drops.

Oh DBZ is out of control. I agree with that
Image Image
ImageImage

WinterBz

Postby WinterBz » Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:22 pm

9fingerdevil wrote:I feel like with the amount they make now of each figure the chases are just slightly harder to find commons. They should go back to 1/36 chase odds

It used to be 1/36?!?? :o I’d say 1/12 would be better

jcrook

Postby jcrook » Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:10 am

When I first started collecting they were with the chase, but now, it’s really got to be something that speaks to me, lines have to be drawn.
Funko Fundays 2017
FunKon 2021
SDCC 2017, 2018, 2022

I go by Crook

Return to “Pop!”