Are Chases worth the Chase ?

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
runtodere

Re: Are Chases worth the Chase ?

Postby runtodere » Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:42 pm

mongoose12 wrote:I’ve long wished that 1:36 chases returned. I’m old school I suppose.

I'm there with you on this. However, I gave up looking for chases long ago - there's just so much employee holding/buying, lining up, etc. that it stopped being fun very fast.

runtodere

Postby runtodere » Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:43 pm

islander671 wrote:
Z_PopCollector wrote:Overtime I’ve noticed chases aren’t much different than the actual common/reg variant! Feel as if they gotten lazy with the chases lately! For example: Speed RacerChase, Samurai Jack Chase, and Luck from Black Clover Chase are all different molds other than just having eyes shut or open as the difference! Don’t get me wrong I still like going on a hunt but the lack of detail in the difference of the chases have had me feeling swindled 8-[

I used to love going to places to hunt for Chases in the wild, however my desire to continue stopped not because of the lack of details or differences, it was due to more of the fact that Employees of said local stores were hoarding them on release day. Knowing that fact killed my desire to hunt for them, so now I dont bother looking and have turned to Soda Chases as they are a bit harder for people to know which is which.

Agree on the Soda chases too - but the revelation that weighing and what not can also be done really has me abandoning that too.

islander671

Postby islander671 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:17 pm

runtodere wrote:
islander671 wrote:
Z_PopCollector wrote:Overtime I’ve noticed chases aren’t much different than the actual common/reg variant! Feel as if they gotten lazy with the chases lately! For example: Speed RacerChase, Samurai Jack Chase, and Luck from Black Clover Chase are all different molds other than just having eyes shut or open as the difference! Don’t get me wrong I still like going on a hunt but the lack of detail in the difference of the chases have had me feeling swindled 8-[

I used to love going to places to hunt for Chases in the wild, however my desire to continue stopped not because of the lack of details or differences, it was due to more of the fact that Employees of said local stores were hoarding them on release day. Knowing that fact killed my desire to hunt for them, so now I dont bother looking and have turned to Soda Chases as they are a bit harder for people to know which is which.

Agree on the Soda chases too - but the revelation that weighing and what not can also be done really has me abandoning that too.

That is true about the ability to weigh the sodas for chases.
ImageImageImage

post31

Postby post31 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:10 pm

Anything is worth the chase if you enjoy it.
SDCC 1998 - current
Fundays 2016, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
Pop Rangers, Killer Crowns, Lumberjacks
FDO8 2018 LA
FDO9 2023 SD
Making Fun premier
Funko Hollywood Grand Opening
Funkon 2021

Stat32111

Postby Stat32111 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:44 pm

It’s worth it to me if it’s a character that I really want! I’ll get both variants (example bullet train)
Instagram- calebshiny

Trendkill24hr

Postby Trendkill24hr » Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:06 pm

There’s been some pretty awesome chases In the recent years, but they have made some pretty lackluster ones too. I still find it exciting to find one regardless if it’s a good chase or not
"Being a geek means never having to play it cool about how much you like something" Simon Pegg

Call me C.J. :)
Events: Fundays 2022 & 2023, Fright Night 2022, FDO9
Collection: 372 pieces as of 03/25/24
ISO Proto: Paka Paka Dragon

thejosh2010
HoF 2020 & CotM
HoF 2020 & CotM

Postby thejosh2010 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:31 pm

It’s been so long since I’ve seen a chase in the wild that I most often look for the chase on the secondary market before even trying. It’s a thrill to hunt, but there’s too much to keep up with to fool around too long on small potatoes :bom:
COTM 01/18
HALL OF FAME 2020 #79
IG: THEJOSH2010
Funko LOVE in the Heart of the Appalachia

FireEmblemZack

Postby FireEmblemZack » Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:39 am

I think the last chases I got were: Hot Topic Gloomy Bear (online order), John Lennon (Funko Shop online) and They Live Alien (A chase bundle online)
Sadly my area has people lining up at stores literally daily lol They see it as working for their business because they turn around and try to sell the chases locally for 40 bucks lol
Chases for me (besides sodas) is just a nostalgic thing for me about the 2015-2017 era of collecting for me!! When it felt like I was the only one in my area collecting lol
Image R.I.P. Buddy, my bestest friend

funko_gtx91

Postby funko_gtx91 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:56 am

islander671 wrote:

I hate that I have had that happen to me a couple of times

Ginzo1622

Postby Ginzo1622 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:33 am

Chase is only worth the chase if you really collect them otherwise the other version should be fine.
Fundays 2022 - Proto Robots
Fright Night 2022
Fundays 2023 - Protomoa Wolves

Don't stand in my way!!!

:whdat:

Mrswestcoastfunko

Postby Mrswestcoastfunko » Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:30 am

True... I remember getting up at 5 am to chase the chase and it was fun but honestly not anymore.. maybe I'm just getting old lol id rather sleep... plus certain people kill it and can't forget employees either...
ImageImage

OffTheCHENG

Postby OffTheCHENG » Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:49 am

They use to be. It's a lot easier to get them now. I believe it's 1/6. Before it was 1/32 I believe; and boy was the excitement there when you found one. They need to bring that back lol
Image ImageImage

ImageImageImageImage

Ginzo1622

Postby Ginzo1622 » Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:59 am

Mrswestcoastfunko wrote:True... I remember getting up at 5 am to chase the chase and it was fun but honestly not anymore.. maybe I'm just getting old lol id rather sleep... plus certain people kill it and can't forget employees either...

Yeah it's kinda messed up now.
Fundays 2022 - Proto Robots
Fright Night 2022
Fundays 2023 - Protomoa Wolves

Don't stand in my way!!!

:whdat:

Meowmix4

Postby Meowmix4 » Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:25 pm

I think you should only go for the pop if you like the common version.

That being said, receiving a chase on my armored chopper was a pleasant surpise :)

DrunkoPop

Postby DrunkoPop » Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:44 pm

Meowmix4 wrote:I think you should only go for the pop if you like the common version.

That being said, receiving a chase on my armored chopper was a pleasant surpise :)

Agreed and many congrats!!! :cheers:
Image Image
ImageImage

akagalar

Postby akagalar » Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:45 pm

Like any other pop, I go for the chase only if I really want it.
However, since I work and cannot wait for stores to open, and I never get chases in the mail, I end up just buying them.
Image Image

Chingy

Postby Chingy » Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:20 pm

CryptoJenkins7 wrote:Chases are now worth the chase when I'm opening sodas - the trill of seeing the variant pog in the can gets me every time!

I get such a rush of adrenaline when I see that!

Trendkill24hr

Postby Trendkill24hr » Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:29 pm

Chingy wrote:
CryptoJenkins7 wrote:Chases are now worth the chase when I'm opening sodas - the trill of seeing the variant pog in the can gets me every time!

IMO It’s more exciting than finding a pop chase I the wild
"Being a geek means never having to play it cool about how much you like something" Simon Pegg

PhoenixForce

Postby PhoenixForce » Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:30 pm

Some of the SODA, especially the 3L SODAs have had really great, different chases that aren't just metallic, glow or flocked. Those have been woth the chase for me.

Hi, I'm JASON!
You can follow me on Instagram: @jpg_rising or on Twitter: @jpg_rising
I also have an Instagram just for my Funko Photography: @PhoenixForcePhotos
I've been collecting since 2013: It started with Marvel and quickly became a collection of, a little bit of everything in between!

Jalapenopete

Postby Jalapenopete » Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:44 am

Kulick wrote:I kind of agree with you. It is a difficult decision BUT as a collector I MUST HAVE ALL OF THE VARIANTS or else its not a complete set

Agree its fun collecting all the variants
:freddy3:

Mr Yac

Postby Mr Yac » Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:54 am

Some are great, but very rarely do I prefer the chase over the common for both pop and soda.

Chingy

Postby Chingy » Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:44 am

Trendkill24hr wrote:
Chingy wrote:

I agree. Something about not knowing and opening it up to discover the pog. With a Pop, the sticker is right on the box. There's less anticipation.

DFWFunkoHunter

Postby DFWFunkoHunter » Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:13 pm

It used to be fun but now a days it’s not worth it for the most part unless it’s something that I really want and the cost of buying it second hand is just too ridiculous. I always weigh the time invested and gas searching to if it will be just cheaper to buy it because at times it’s just easier to buy or not even get it. If it’s a “lazy” chase then I’ve learned I don’t need it. I also have no desire to beat people that camp way too early and have plugs in the stores hold them back stuff.

runtodere

Postby runtodere » Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:52 pm

Mrswestcoastfunko wrote:True... I remember getting up at 5 am to chase the chase and it was fun but honestly not anymore.. maybe I'm just getting old lol id rather sleep... plus certain people kill it and can't forget employees either...

'Mature' I prefer to think of it

mouth662

Postby mouth662 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:14 pm

I don't think so. Most of the regular chases aren't that great. The really good chases are usually store exclusives and you have to chase roulette it online. I don't even bother trying most of the time, I'll wait until the price dips and pick it up or just buy a bundle. Even the regular chases you can pick up in store are impossible to come by in my area. I live in socal so all the stores get picked over by flippers, most stores have employees with friends holding stock. It's just not worth the "chase"

mohawkjones

Postby mohawkjones » Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:48 pm

There is a certain thrill to seeing that sticker on a store shelf for certain.

Unless it's a character I am really into or a must have for me (which are few and far between) I do not lose any sleep over chases.
Hi, I am Shawn. Iron Man junkie, Soda-holic and Hikari addict. Funklub member #14300/01057

keyese

Postby keyese » Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:29 pm

I no longer really go out for chases post-pandemic but I do appreciate when they have a different mold or something really different than just a repaint. The last chase I went out for and actively left the house early to get was the HT Gyomei (even though his chase is not the greatest, I had to have him).
AKA ElizabethKeyes on Twitch or keyese on Discord :freddy2:
ISO Mystery Minis!
Lord of the Rings: Eowyn (HT) and Lurtz (HT)
Avengers Endgame: 1/72 Hulk, 1/72 Hawkeye, 1/24 Black Widow (all Walmart exclusives)

ghost_yamasaki

Postby ghost_yamasaki » Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:33 pm

I feel they are. But it’s fair that many feel the OG version on many of them are better.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImage

ISO: Con LE Exclusives | All Freddys | Iron Maiden Protos | Always trading, so PM me |

IG: @cometlodgecollectibles | aka: asianlukecage

ExoSquad4

Postby ExoSquad4 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:26 pm

I remember when a chase used to be so difficult to find but now I feel like they’re such a common thing to find now. SODA on the other hand are wayyyyy more challenging because It’s a game of chance with those.

Trendkill24hr

Postby Trendkill24hr » Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:44 pm

Chingy wrote:
Trendkill24hr wrote:
Chingy wrote:

I agree. Something about not knowing and opening it up to discover the pog. With a Pop, the sticker is right on the box. There's less anticipation.

That and most soda chases are way more limited than some pop chases

DrunkoPop

Postby DrunkoPop » Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:21 am

Trendkill24hr wrote:
Chingy wrote:
Trendkill24hr wrote:

Some? You mean most since they are all numbered :freddy2:
Image Image
ImageImage

Bad Motherfunko

Postby Bad Motherfunko » Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:51 pm

I love chases that have more differences than just a paint job (glow/metallic etc.). Full on mold changes really get me hyped for the chase, but those seem few and far between sometimes so I settle for the others more often than not.
Avatar Protos: https://i.imgur.com/iLdXwes.jpg
Collecting Funko since 2012.
Main Collections: Anything Avatar or Game of Thrones/House of the Dragon
Events Attended: Funko Hollywood Opening, Funkon '21, Fundays '22, SDCC '19/'22
Proud member of Funko Fiends (PSW) and The United Funko Family <3
Instagrams: @bad.motherfunko & @lollipop_customs

ISO Avatar the Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra Protos

keyese

Postby keyese » Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:56 pm

Bad Motherfunko wrote:I love chases that have more differences than just a paint job (glow/metallic etc.). Full on mold changes really get me hyped for the chase, but those seem few and far between sometimes so I settle for the others more often than not.

It's always interesting to me when the full mold change ones are like "this person with a mask" or "mask off" and then the chase ends up being the one I want least (like the Demogorgan with its mouth closed chase).
AKA ElizabethKeyes on Twitch or keyese on Discord :freddy2:
ISO Mystery Minis!
Lord of the Rings: Eowyn (HT) and Lurtz (HT)
Avengers Endgame: 1/72 Hulk, 1/72 Hawkeye, 1/24 Black Widow (all Walmart exclusives)

Trendkill24hr

Postby Trendkill24hr » Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:12 pm

DrunkoPop wrote:
Trendkill24hr wrote:
Chingy wrote:

Yah you’re right, most pop chases we don’t know how many they made of

rontonsoup

Postby rontonsoup » Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:10 am

DrunkoPop wrote:
rontonsoup wrote:
DrunkoPop wrote:
That’s good. You collect what you like. :freddy1:

It’s the thrill of finding one that’s fun. It always reminds me of the first time I found a chase. My first time, I actually found 3 at once lol

I did find 3. GameStop. Box Lunch. Target. Lots of great memories.

Nice! Whenever I find a chase, I feel like playing the lottery haha
Collecting since 2014: "A couple that collects together, stays together."

CrushMcLovin

Postby CrushMcLovin » Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:20 am

Only if it’s something you collect otherwise better off not wasting your time hunting when you can pay 2-3 times the common cost for the chase
:freddy2:
Funatic since '13
Funko Collection Count: 962
http://www.TheVIParolaz.com
PROTO ISO: MCU / Disney Pixar

DrunkoPop

Postby DrunkoPop » Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:21 pm

Trendkill24hr wrote:
DrunkoPop wrote:
Trendkill24hr wrote:

Yah you’re right, most pop chases we don’t know how many they made of

Exactly. That was my point.
Image Image
ImageImage

DrunkoPop

Postby DrunkoPop » Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:23 pm

rontonsoup wrote:
DrunkoPop wrote:
rontonsoup wrote:
It’s the thrill of finding one that’s fun. It always reminds me of the first time I found a chase. My first time, I actually found 3 at once lol

I did find 3. GameStop. Box Lunch. Target. Lots of great memories.

Nice! Whenever I find a chase, I feel like playing the lottery haha

You should. Hey you never know :mir1:
Image Image
ImageImage

SpaceDude
Rookie Of The year
Rookie Of The year

Postby SpaceDude » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:24 pm

CrushMcLovin wrote:Only if it’s something you collect otherwise better off not wasting your time hunting when you can pay 2-3 times the common cost for the chase

I am with you on this one! Only if it is something you really want!!
Tate/SpaceDude's Pop Vault :freddy3:
2020 Rookie of the Year
Instagram: spacedudespopvault
Facebook: Tate McCarty
Colorado Funatic

Davunko

Postby Davunko » Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:57 pm

For as many times I’ve gone to a store to check for pops, I have never seen a chase in the wild :-/

Return to “Pop!”