PSA Grading of Pops

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
diabolix

Re: PSA Grading of Pops

Postby diabolix » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:33 pm

desdin28 wrote:Was curious on the stackability and qualit of the PSA graded cases, looks pretty good. Wondering if quality is similar to pop armors - been wanting to send in one for funsies!

Stackability and quality are good! I have a few graded PSA pops and many autograph authenticated ones. I think pop armors do a better job at protecting the pop thought in the event you drop it.

Anhtrung05

Postby Anhtrung05 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:45 pm

There is a lot of problems with this because I’ve seen some graded ones and for a 10, they do not seem right.

They are probably authentic and such but the box is not pristine, the figure itself had flaws, and the pop is not even expensive. The graded pop in question was $400. If you were you buy it non graded it would be 100ish. I will never buy graded pops.

desdin28

Postby desdin28 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:40 pm

Lakerfan75 wrote:
desdin28 wrote:Was curious on the stackability and qualit of the PSA graded cases, looks pretty good. Wondering if quality is similar to pop armors - been wanting to send in one for funsies!

They are pretty comparable in quality, however the PSAs are a bit taller, to account for the grading sticker. I do think the Armor Shields look a bit clearer for some reason. But both are very solid and do the job in protecting the POP.

Thank you for your reply! Was also thinking about how clear the PSA slabs are as well. Definitely to consider. :D

desdin28

Postby desdin28 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:43 pm

diabolix wrote:

Stackability and quality are good! I have a few graded PSA pops and many autograph authenticated ones. I think pop armors do a better job at protecting the pop thought in the event you drop it.

Thank you for the reply, noted! Yeah, having the pop armors on mine feels pretty secure! Although, did notice a switch in dimension from their very first version to the new version. Otherwise, definitely considering for autograph authentication!

Lakerfan75

Postby Lakerfan75 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:55 pm

Anhtrung05 wrote:There is a lot of problems with this because I’ve seen some graded ones and for a 10, they do not seem right.

They are probably authentic and such but the box is not pristine, the figure itself had flaws, and the pop is not even expensive. The graded pop in question was $400. If you were you buy it non graded it would be 100ish. I will never buy graded pops.

PSA must be getting stricter, because my best POP only got an 8.5. I think it is getting harder to get 9’s or 10’s. But that being said, I wouldn’t mind paying a small premium to know it is at least authentic. But you are totally right that $400 for a $100 POP just because it is a PSA 10 isn’t worth the additional money.

diabolix

Postby diabolix » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:33 pm

desdin28 wrote:
diabolix wrote:

Thank you for the reply, noted! Yeah, having the pop armors on mine feels pretty secure! Although, did notice a switch in dimension from their very first version to the new version. Otherwise, definitely considering for autograph authentication!

Yeah, a bit bummed that 7BAP changed the dimensions slightly lol. I had to go through all of them sort them out, cause I want everything to be the same size.

Also, I would say PSA is great for auto authentication, but I'm not too sold on them grading pops. I know they graded a SDCC 2010 Batman that was box swapped, but I don't think there was any such indication. A lot of people on the Facebook groups swear that they're experts and know what they're doing... but I think they're rookies still

brooklyn_geek

Postby brooklyn_geek » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:51 pm

The problem with PSA and the autographs are that they make deals alongside the booths so as soon as you get an object signed they’re right there to put their seal of approval. In an of itself that’s fine but if you opt to not let them grade and authenticate it then and there they will grade the item but they won’t verify the signature….take a hobby and make it an “investment” deal and it doesn’t feel as fun

NoOtherOptions

Postby NoOtherOptions » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:47 am

I'm curious if/when CGC starts grading pops. More competition is always good. But my problem is inherently how do you grade pops, at least with comics its both the condition of the pages as well as the cover. With a pop to get a good look at the pop to really call the toy itself a ten or whatever you'd risk damaging the packaging. So if you don't grade the figure just the packaging the value seems limited to me.

Lakerfan75

Postby Lakerfan75 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:09 pm

NoOtherOptions wrote:I'm curious if/when CGC starts grading pops. More competition is always good. But my problem is inherently how do you grade pops, at least with comics its both the condition of the pages as well as the cover. With a pop to get a good look at the pop to really call the toy itself a ten or whatever you'd risk damaging the packaging. So if you don't grade the figure just the packaging the value seems limited to me.

Yeah, it is a bit of a mystery to me how they graded my POPs. I mean the boxes were pretty perfect, and I have no idea if they even grade the POP itself. It was worth trying the experience and if it becomes more popular, I may do it again.

stucho2090

Postby stucho2090 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:00 pm

Part of me likes it on some pops. Grail pops where you won't want them taken out would be a good idea but the more I see grading the random $30-50 pops being graded and people asking for $300-500.

I won't mind a signed funko being graded and sealed.

Lakerfan75

Postby Lakerfan75 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:03 pm

stucho2090 wrote:Part of me likes it on some pops. Grail pops where you won't want them taken out would be a good idea but the more I see grading the random $30-50 pops being graded and people asking for $300-500.

Totally agree, I just graded my grails. Only because I won’t ever open them and I like the display. I was a little worried about the shipping, but it all worked out.

I don’t really see many PSA graded Pops out there right now, so I am curious how popular it is. It does seem most of the ones I see are the autographed Pops, which makes sense for signature verification, but it can get costly.

Chuckles00012

Postby Chuckles00012 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:18 pm

Lakerfan75 wrote:
stucho2090 wrote:Part of me likes it on some pops. Grail pops where you won't want them taken out would be a good idea but the more I see grading the random $30-50 pops being graded and people asking for $300-500.

Totally agree, I just graded my grails. Only because I won’t ever open them and I like the display. I was a little worried about the shipping, but it all worked out.

I don’t really see many PSA graded Pops out there right now, so I am curious how popular it is. It does seem most of the ones I see are the autographed Pops, which makes sense for signature verification, but it can get costly.

I can see limited editions or grails and autographed ones.

EwokAttack

Postby EwokAttack » Wed May 01, 2024 1:17 am

I feel like Pop condition is so subjective, more so than cards etc because it is arguably way easier to gen a GM MINT 10 pokemon card than it is to get a Pop box that universally can be agreed has no flaws both on the box condition and paint, and it the Pop condition and paint. And where do you draw the line, if everything is perfect but it has a Con sticker that is askew does that effect the overall grade? Do you lose GM MINT 10 because a sticker is crooked but the box and Pop are flawless? I feel like it would just be a shameless cash grab by PSA etc.

funko_gtx91

Postby funko_gtx91 » Wed May 01, 2024 1:35 am

I like the idea especially on the older pops and some of the expensive newer pops

Vader_Jimmy

Postby Vader_Jimmy » Wed May 01, 2024 1:59 am

I have mixed feelings on it. For sure would like a psa 10, but the idea of not been able to remove it from the case don’t know bout that.

Cheesemango

Postby Cheesemango » Fri May 10, 2024 2:50 pm

Vader_Jimmy wrote:I have mixed feelings on it. For sure would like a psa 10, but the idea of not been able to remove it from the case don’t know bout that.

I agree with the fact of not being able to remove it out once it’s encapsulated. And the case now takes up more space in tour collection. Would be nice to say to have a PSA 10 pop though.

Grogu

Postby Grogu » Fri May 10, 2024 2:55 pm

rontonsoup wrote:I’m not a fan of it, but once the majority of the collectors move that route, then I’ll have to cave in. I like the process for authenticating autographs though.

To me I think this is the biggest part of grading. If you can get an autograph authenticated and possibly certified, then all the better. But as others have posted, the grading might have a negative affect on non graded POPs down the line.
SDCC: 2010 - 2023
Wondercon: 2016 - 2023

OG SLUMPURT

Postby OG SLUMPURT » Fri May 10, 2024 4:40 pm

I always thought that grading pops would be too hard considering that I think the paint job on the pop should be included in the grading and for them to look at it thoroughly, they would have to open the box.
OG SLUMPURT
:freddy2:

runtodere

Postby runtodere » Fri May 10, 2024 5:03 pm

This thread popped up and made me cringe again - I so wish grading wasn't a thing.

funkotron

Postby funkotron » Fri May 10, 2024 5:37 pm

I've had a few comics graded, ones that I had signed and witnessed and wanted to be protected/preserved. Pops though, I don't think I'd ever go the graded route. I have two signed pops, one I didn't even bother to get authenticated. And Pop Armors are plenty to keep them protected.

Calico88

Postby Calico88 » Fri May 10, 2024 5:38 pm

I’m waiting on cgc to start grading pops there grade is more respected

Lakerfan75

Postby Lakerfan75 » Fri May 10, 2024 6:34 pm

funkotron wrote:I've had a few comics graded, ones that I had signed and witnessed and wanted to be protected/preserved. Pops though, I don't think I'd ever go the graded route. I have two signed pops, one I didn't even bother to get authenticated. And Pop Armors are plenty to keep them protected.

Yeah, I agree, I went through the process of PSA grading, and I think if I do it again, it would only be to authenticate the autograph. While I do like the PSA armor, I prefer the Armor Shields more as they are more stackable, i.e. they don't have the PSA Sticker on top adding more to the armor.

BikerGeek

Postby BikerGeek » Fri May 10, 2024 8:03 pm

I get a lot of comics in my collection graded (specifically CGC)...is there really a lot of interest in grading actual pops?

FuegoGlorious

Postby FuegoGlorious » Fri May 10, 2024 9:09 pm

glad to see PSA come out on top as the most prevalent grading for pops. I think they have a really good system and are reliable. Even the one hiccup they had where they damaged someone's pop they were well compensated.
:SW7a:

BikerGeek

Postby BikerGeek » Sun May 12, 2024 11:07 am

oof...PSA pricing is a lil steep to me...but, if you've a grail, or an autographed one, I can see it...

brooklyn_geek

Postby brooklyn_geek » Sun May 12, 2024 12:15 pm

I ask…because I don’t think people ask enough…are they grading the condition of the BOX, the Pop itself or BOTH?

BikerGeek

Postby BikerGeek » Sun May 12, 2024 9:27 pm

Oof, good question, I'd assume both...but how do you make sure that the box wouldn't get damaged by them? Comics are easy, it's just a book...but pops...great question.

Joser777

Postby Joser777 » Sun May 12, 2024 9:32 pm

It’s tough I don’t think grading suites pops in the since of value increasing like cards or comics but I know some people that have paid crazy money for a psa 10 metallic charizard
iso: anime protos, scott pilgrim protos, spiderman protos

BikerGeek

Postby BikerGeek » Sun May 12, 2024 10:17 pm

Everybody's a fan of something and will pay for it as well.

dominicrosales23

Postby dominicrosales23 » Mon May 13, 2024 3:33 am

brooklyn_geek wrote:I ask…because I don’t think people ask enough…are they grading the condition of the BOX, the Pop itself or BOTH?

I may be wrong, or it has changed, but my understanding is that they grade the box itself, and I've seen speculation that the figures are not confirmed to be legit or fakes. Of course, this info may be outdated though.

Ginzo1622

Postby Ginzo1622 » Mon May 13, 2024 6:51 am

dominicrosales23 wrote:
brooklyn_geek wrote:I ask…because I don’t think people ask enough…are they grading the condition of the BOX, the Pop itself or BOTH?

I may be wrong, or it has changed, but my understanding is that they grade the box itself, and I've seen speculation that the figures are not confirmed to be legit or fakes. Of course, this info may be outdated though.

I thought it was explained in PSA website when you grade them. I could be wrong
Fundays 2022 - Proto Robots
Fright Night 2022
Fundays 2023 - Protomoa Wolves

Don't stand in my way!!!

:whdat:

XavierSoup

Postby XavierSoup » Mon May 13, 2024 9:52 am

newhousebailey wrote:This is a great topic. I personally like it from the perspective of authentication, but don't like it from a collector's perspective. This is my opinion, but I feel that it has driven down the values of non-graded collectibles in terms of comic books and other current PSA graded items. I also wonder how thorough they can be assuming they don't open the box and take the actual Pop out of the box. I am not sure if they do, but I worry about the overall impact.

I honestly am not a fan of getting pops graded. I guess the only time I'd want that is if I was buying an autographed pop for piece of mind.

DiegoLo

Postby DiegoLo » Mon May 13, 2024 10:05 am

XavierSoup wrote:
newhousebailey wrote:This is a great topic. I personally like it from the perspective of authentication, but don't like it from a collector's perspective. This is my opinion, but I feel that it has driven down the values of non-graded collectibles in terms of comic books and other current PSA graded items. I also wonder how thorough they can be assuming they don't open the box and take the actual Pop out of the box. I am not sure if they do, but I worry about the overall impact.

I honestly am not a fan of getting pops graded. I guess the only time I'd want that is if I was buying an autographed pop for piece of mind.

But here they graded the Box, Pop or certificate the signature? or all?
Funko Collectibles Count:1000+ (Need more space)
ISO Freddy Flux (4 of them)

SDCC 2018 - 2019, 2023
NYCC 2021
Fundays (Soon)

brooklyn_geek

Postby brooklyn_geek » Mon May 13, 2024 10:09 am

Ginzo1622 wrote:
dominicrosales23 wrote:

I thought it was explained in PSA website when you grade them. I could be wrong

The descriptions of the services are not as nuanced as they should be but apparently they’re saying they are authentication of the piece and they are grading THE BOX AND NOT THE CONDITION OF THE FIGURE ITSELF. So years ago when I said that this is all rather silly and were basically collecting boxes I might have been onto something lol

ItsJuhtin

Postby ItsJuhtin » Mon May 13, 2024 10:28 am

I can care less of it, keep it in the TCG world honestly

rontonsoup

Postby rontonsoup » Tue May 14, 2024 12:04 am

Grogu wrote:
rontonsoup wrote:I’m not a fan of it, but once the majority of the collectors move that route, then I’ll have to cave in. I like the process for authenticating autographs though.

To me I think this is the biggest part of grading. If you can get an autograph authenticated and possibly certified, then all the better. But as others have posted, the grading might have a negative affect on non graded POPs down the line.

I agree, especially for a sports pop. I wonder if Beckett would grade pops. Imagine a BGS 10 Black Label pop lol
Collecting since 2014: "A couple that collects together, stays together."

Image Image Image Image

Tootall411

Postby Tootall411 » Tue May 14, 2024 5:13 am

So for me grading is great for often faked pops, limited piece counts, old release pops and really clean newer pops. The reason being the pop should look the same in 20 or 30 years from now as it did when it goes into the encapsulation. I just wish they would give graders notes to see why a pop was graded at that number.

XavierSoup

Postby XavierSoup » Tue May 14, 2024 11:07 am

DiegoLo wrote:
XavierSoup wrote:

I believe they do both pop and authentication.

Grogu

Postby Grogu » Tue May 14, 2024 12:19 pm

XavierSoup wrote:
DiegoLo wrote:
XavierSoup wrote:I honestly am not a fan of getting pops graded. I guess the only time I'd want that is if I was buying an autographed pop for piece of mind.

I believe they do both pop and authentication.

If they do both then that's great.
SDCC: 2010 - 2023
Wondercon: 2016 - 2023

Vader_Jimmy

Postby Vader_Jimmy » Tue May 14, 2024 12:19 pm

Anhtrung05 wrote:There is a lot of problems with this because I’ve seen some graded ones and for a 10, they do not seem right.

Totally agree with you , they get a high grade but the box seems to have flaws. So how is it determined they deserved a 10. Are they grading the pop up quality only or the box as well?

Return to “Pop!”