PSA Grading of Pops

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
TheVerdant23

Re: PSA Grading of Pops

Postby TheVerdant23 » Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:50 pm

brooklyn_geek wrote:I attended NYCC and I saw the first wave of Pops being submitted to PSA for grading...I'm on the fence about it...I don't like the asking prices I'm seeing so far on the market...how do you all feel about graded Pops and the effect it will have or has had on the hobby???

eventually market will go up for PSA grading. a funko store owner i know said that its a good couple year investment before high prices for psa. he also said less than 10% of any single pop would come back psa 10

brooklyn_geek

Postby brooklyn_geek » Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:28 am

TheVerdant23 wrote:
brooklyn_geek wrote:I attended NYCC and I saw the first wave of Pops being submitted to PSA for grading...I'm on the fence about it...I don't like the asking prices I'm seeing so far on the market...how do you all feel about graded Pops and the effect it will have or has had on the hobby???

eventually market will go up for PSA grading. a funko store owner i know said that its a good couple year investment before high prices for psa. he also said less than 10% of any single pop would come back psa 10

My issue isn't about people grading them as a practice, it's that PSA has been AGRESSIVELY pushing this as a way to go for "investment" purposes as they do with cards etc and this inevitably HURTS hobbies... just because you graded a vaulted pop and get a 10 it should now make people expect the value to be ten times what the secondary market is...number two at some point people realize it's a racket and the interest in them wanes...anyone who collects sports cards knows that we are currently going thru what is being referred to as THE JUNK SLAB ERA...thousands of cards submitted for grading during the pandemic & after that coming back graded and no one's buying them because the demand just isn't there...action figures and toys have been being graded for years...vintage Star Wars comes to mind...however PSA has basically set up shop at every major convention where ever Pops are being signed and it's kinda sad to me. Just pushing people into a direction where a fun hobby is now just about money and a return on investment :rolleyes:

DrunkoPop

Postby DrunkoPop » Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:34 am

brooklyn_geek wrote:
TheVerdant23 wrote:

My issue isn't about people grading them as a practice, it's that PSA has been AGRESSIVELY pushing this as a way to go for "investment" purposes as they do with cards etc and this inevitably HURTS hobbies... just because you graded a vaulted pop and get a 10 it should now make people expect the value to be ten times what the secondary market is...number two at some point people realize it's a racket and the interest in them wanes...anyone who collects sports cards knows that we are currently going thru what is being referred to as THE JUNK SLAB ERA...thousands of cards submitted for grading during the pandemic & after that coming back graded and no one's buying them because the demand just isn't there...action figures and toys have been being graded for years...vintage Star Wars comes to mind...however PSA has basically set up shop at every major convention where ever Pops are being signed and it's kinda sad to me. Just pushing people into a direction where a fun hobby is now just about money and a return on investment :rolleyes:

Very well put. =D> I don’t see this lasting too long. I barely have anything graded and the few items I have graded are well worth it.
Image Image
ImageImage

TheVerdant23

Postby TheVerdant23 » Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:30 pm

brooklyn_geek wrote:
TheVerdant23 wrote:

just like any hobby market is bearish or bullish. my friend has worlds largest non-sports cards collection and he doesnt care on market just a collector even though some of his cards worth 6figures he just wants to collect regardless

Mr Yac

Postby Mr Yac » Sat Jul 08, 2023 3:03 pm

TheVerdant23 wrote:
just like any hobby market is bearish or bullish. my friend has worlds largest non-sports cards collection and he doesnt care on market just a collector even though some of his cards worth 6figures he just wants to collect regardless

Forgive me for making assumptions but I’m gonna go out on a limb and say your friend is in no way hurting for cash in his life, it’s easy to say “value doesn’t matter” when you’re well off.

edsteez

Postby edsteez » Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:46 am

Not a fan of pops being graded. But I do see the high value pops being worth grading. Also authenticating for buyers to have reassurance they aren’t buying fakes.

Ginzo1622

Postby Ginzo1622 » Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:59 am

edsteez wrote:Not a fan of pops being graded. But I do see the high value pops being worth grading. Also authenticating for buyers to have reassurance they aren’t buying fakes.

Yeah it's a good way to authenticate old pops
Fundays 2022 - Proto Robots
Fright Night 2022
Fundays 2023 - Protomoa Wolves

Don't stand in my way!!!

:whdat:

brooklyn_geek

Postby brooklyn_geek » Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:01 am

The key thing I'm trying to say is we're now talking about the hobby..."market"

Nothing wrong with any of the facets we're discussing, its not character judgement if you like the idea of it, I'm just weary of the companies swooping in to "legitimize" what was already a thriving thing...seen it happen to virtually everything I've collected for over 40 years & it usually makes it a little less FUN imo

DrunkoPop

Postby DrunkoPop » Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:27 pm

edsteez wrote:Not a fan of pops being graded. But I do see the high value pops being worth grading. Also authenticating for buyers to have reassurance they aren’t buying fakes.

I agree with Pop being fake aspect. As I have been fooled more than once.
Image Image
ImageImage

TheVerdant23

Postby TheVerdant23 » Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:58 pm

Mr Yac wrote:
TheVerdant23 wrote:

Forgive me for making assumptions but I’m gonna go out on a limb and say your friend is in no way hurting for cash in his life, it’s easy to say “value doesn’t matter” when you’re well off.

hes been collecting his whole life, but he doesnt have that type cash to buy cards that r worth new car. he just knows his stuff and gets things that were supposed b distroyed or people thought was fake because card in certain language. think the most hes ever spent was a few grand on single card. but he does his research and couple risks but knows his stuff inside and out so much so few times PSA has asked him to inspect something to see if its legit or fake

Chickyx2

Postby Chickyx2 » Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:44 am

Honestly , I think it's not a good idea. Everyone has different standards when they use the word mint. That's why I never use that word. I tend to be a stickler for box condition especially for my personal collection. My opinion of a great box and pop may differ from the person who is grading. This is why I would never get a pop graded.
SDCC 2013 TO PRESENT
FRIGHT NIGHT 1 SAN DIEGO
FUNDAYS 2015,2017,2018,2023
HOLLYWOOD GRAND OPENING :freddy3:

Funkognome

Postby Funkognome » Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:12 pm

I like it if we're using it to validate Pops! But I don't like that the graded pops are selling for so much more, feel like this is driving non graded pops to eventually be the lesser and graded being the standard.

Mr Yac

Postby Mr Yac » Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:13 pm

Funkognome wrote:I like it if we're using it to validate Pops! But I don't like that the graded pops are selling for so much more, feel like this is driving non graded pops to eventually be the lesser and graded being the standard.

Just like with comics, but I don’t quite think the Funko world will be quite as dictated by grader prices as comics and cards have become.

Daisygal

Postby Daisygal » Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:35 pm

I’m sending in a few this month and hope to get 10s

Funkolotz1622

Postby Funkolotz1622 » Sun Jul 16, 2023 6:21 pm

Daisygal wrote:I’m sending in a few this month and hope to get 10s

What are you sending? Good luck
Fundays 2022 - Black Light Proto Robos
Fright Night 2022
Fundays 2023 - Protomoa Wolves

HowardTheDuck

Postby HowardTheDuck » Sun Jul 16, 2023 6:50 pm

Mr Yac wrote:
Funkognome wrote:I like it if we're using it to validate Pops! But I don't like that the graded pops are selling for so much more, feel like this is driving non graded pops to eventually be the lesser and graded being the standard.

Just like with comics, but I don’t quite think the Funko world will be quite as dictated by grader prices as comics and cards have become.

As someone who spent time helping out at my LCS before it closed I really hope you’re right. Buyers have gotten picky enough over the years in my experience.
I'm Julian. HowardTheFunatic on IG!
ISO: FREDDY FUNKO CAPTAIN AMERICA, FREDDY FUNKO STORMTROOPER, FAIRLY ODD PARENTS 3 PACK, CONTEST OF CHAMPIONS HOWARD THE DUCK PROTO, MAN-THING PROTO, BRUTUS THE BUCKEYE PROTO

Darthawz

Postby Darthawz » Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:15 am

I feel like once you are fully invested and start knowing more about Funko in general you become a non official grader lol just my opinion.

Daisygal

Postby Daisygal » Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:23 pm

Funkolotz1622 wrote:

Thank you. Gol D Roger chase/Luffy chase/SSG Goku

Wiselordship

Postby Wiselordship » Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:25 pm

Daisygal wrote:
Funkolotz1622 wrote:

Those would be some good ones.

r2.ha

Postby r2.ha » Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:06 am

Like the idea of pops being graded like sports cards but it’s going to be hard for these companies who don’t know much about pops and people sending in fakes to get graded getting a 10 and reselling it as a real pop
Hi the name's Rey

evanaki424

Postby evanaki424 » Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:13 am

Daisygal wrote:
Funkolotz1622 wrote:

Good luck

BatLita

Postby BatLita » Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:10 am

As someone who likes to glam Pops, there are a lot of flaws on Pops, people may never see, since many are in box collectors. The criteria would have to be so specific, and there are a lot more elements than a baseball card or an autograph.
FRIGHT NIGHT 2022
FUNDAYS 2022
SDCC 2022
NYCC 2022
NYCC 2019
ECCC 2019
NYCC 2018
NYCC 2017
NYCC 2016
NYCC 2015

kappait

Postby kappait » Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:42 pm

I have just submitted my top 3 for grading to see how it goes. My thought is anything over 1k in value is probably worth preserving at with higher protection and for the price they are charging it’s not that bad.

I collect a ton of stuff and like the piece of mind the encapsulation provides not only with storage but also there isn’t much dispute when it comes to authenticity.

Condition is another thing. As a long time coin collector I’ve learned not to collect a slab. Eye appeal is everything. I’m betting if this catches on this will hold true with pops.
ImageImage

Do or do not there is no try
Yoda '80

:SW9:
Funklub# 7225
Fundays: 2017, 2018

Superturtlewave

Postby Superturtlewave » Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:52 pm

ehhhhhh. This is a tough one, but I think at the moment i wouldnt personally do it...

Zomcataj

Postby Zomcataj » Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:11 pm

kappait wrote:I have just submitted my top 3 for grading to see how it goes. My thought is anything over 1k in value is probably worth preserving at with higher protection and for the price they are charging it’s not that bad.

I collect a ton of stuff and like the piece of mind the encapsulation provides not only with storage but also there isn’t much dispute when it comes to authenticity.

Condition is another thing. As a long time coin collector I’ve learned not to collect a slab. Eye appeal is everything. I’m betting if this catches on this will hold true with pops.

How much does it cost to get them graded?
Living life to the fullest! :freddy2:

kappait

Postby kappait » Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:09 am

Zomcataj wrote:
kappait wrote:I have just submitted my top 3 for grading to see how it goes. My thought is anything over 1k in value is probably worth preserving at with higher protection and for the price they are charging it’s not that bad.

How much does it cost to get them graded?

It’s 39 to grade the pop. So for 3 it was 117 and then 49 bucks to ship all 3 back. So like 55 each. I think if send more you can reduce the shipping cost.

The only issue I have is it’s taking a long time. I submitted them on June 23rd. And they are just now grading it.
ImageImage

Yoda '80

Funklub# 7225

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:38 am

Superturtlewave wrote:ehhhhhh. This is a tough one, but I think at the moment i wouldnt personally do it...

I'm in agreement on that one!

Zomcataj

Postby Zomcataj » Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:53 pm

Yeah that's a bit expensive. I was going to send in a bunch if Pokemon cards but have to decide if the juice is worth the squeeze.
Living life to the fullest! :freddy2:

Anhtrung05

Postby Anhtrung05 » Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:41 pm

brooklyn_geek wrote:
TheVerdant23 wrote:

I think the grading is a terrible idea. I went past a few booth that did grading for pop. I saw a 8.5 grading and it looked terrible. I asked them to show me a 10 and I absolutely do not agree with it. The figure was broken. How does a broken figure get a 10!! I asked the person and they said they only grade the box. Lol I don’t know why I would pay extra for someone to critique another persons/robots ability to fold boxes.

KenGT8

Postby KenGT8 » Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:46 pm

\:D/ Not gonna lie, I'm kind of curious about having some of my grails graded....hmm.

SithLord112

Postby SithLord112 » Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:26 am

I have 2 pops I sent to PSA before and 1 was just to make sure it was authentic and the other I just sent to see how it graded and just to keep protected and will never leave my collection. They are not necessary for the hobby but also I think older ones and ones with fakes would be nice to have graded so you know it's real and then if you want to crack it open then that's up to you.
:freddy3:

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:40 am

KenGT8 wrote:\:D/ Not gonna lie, I'm kind of curious about having some of my grails graded....hmm.

I'm a bit scared of just sending them off!

kristineisjoy

Postby kristineisjoy » Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:43 am

anyone even get 10's with funko psa?
LOVING MY FUNKOS!!!!

justboogie

Postby justboogie » Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:27 pm

I have no interest in buying graded pops. But if grading is the future for this collecting hobby, then I'd eventually succumb and grade my grails at some point in the future.

kappait

Postby kappait » Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:15 pm

rexflexall wrote:
KenGT8 wrote:\:D/ Not gonna lie, I'm kind of curious about having some of my grails graded....hmm.

I live close to Long Beach CA and PSA is there 3 times a year for the the coin and sports collectibles show. I’ve been doing in person drop offs for cards, coins, and now Pops. It saves money on shipping them out and they box them up pretty well on-site. If that helps.

You can check their website to see if they are doing any shows with on-site grading near you.

I was wondering if they were going to do it at SDCC but they just had a booth this year.
ImageImage

Yoda '80

Funklub# 7225

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:29 am

kappait wrote:
rexflexall wrote:

I live close to Long Beach CA and PSA is there 3 times a year for the the coin and sports collectibles show. I’ve been doing in person drop offs for cards, coins, and now Pops. It saves money on shipping them out and they box them up pretty well on-site. If that helps.

You can check their website to see if they are doing any shows with on-site grading near you.

I was wondering if they were going to do it at SDCC but they just had a booth this year.

I'm in Vegas so occasionally they have the big card shows here that PSA vends at!

mikechickenhead

Postby mikechickenhead » Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:30 pm

I won't grade a pop.. can't take it out and play with it once it's encapsulated
HEY HO! FUNKO!

ImageImage Image Image
Fundays. 3 FDO. 3

nyel24

Postby nyel24 » Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:42 pm

is there a specific value point on whether you would consider sending it for grading? say a pop that's valued at $200 PPG. Would that be worth sending in to grade if it comes back a PSA 8 and above?

kappait

Postby kappait » Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:28 pm

rexflexall wrote:
kappait wrote:
rexflexall wrote:

I'm in Vegas so occasionally they have the big card shows here that PSA vends at!

Might be worth checking out. If you’re worried about shipping them out. My thought was anything over 1k in value was probably worth grading just to keep it safe. Got 2 kids and who knows when they’ll want to play with my toys. Haha.
ImageImage

Yoda '80

Funklub# 7225

kappait

Postby kappait » Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:32 pm

nyel24 wrote:is there a specific value point on whether you would consider sending it for grading? say a pop that's valued at $200 PPG. Would that be worth sending in to grade if it comes back a PSA 8 and above?

My personal thought was anything over 500ish is probably worth it. But that’s up to you.
ImageImage

Yoda '80

Funklub# 7225

Return to “Pop!”