PSA Grading of Pops

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
brooklyn_geek

PSA Grading of Pops

Postby brooklyn_geek » Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:52 pm

I attended NYCC and I saw the first wave of Pops being submitted to PSA for grading...I'm on the fence about it...I don't like the asking prices I'm seeing so far on the market...how do you all feel about graded Pops and the effect it will have or has had on the hobby???

newhousebailey

Re: PSA Grading of Pops

Postby newhousebailey » Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:55 pm

This is a great topic. I personally like it from the perspective of authentication, but don't like it from a collector's perspective. This is my opinion, but I feel that it has driven down the values of non-graded collectibles in terms of comic books and other current PSA graded items. I also wonder how thorough they can be assuming they don't open the box and take the actual Pop out of the box. I am not sure if they do, but I worry about the overall impact.
Hello. My name is Mike and I am currently most excited about the Gravity Falls line.

ImageImage

Tusken

Postby Tusken » Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:17 pm

I've not had any graded but I know a few funatics who have had it done. They like them graded. I'm not a huge fan but I can understand their perspective. :freddy3:
Hi I'm Tusken.
Top Fan Badge of Funko, Funko Europe, Funko (Hollywood), Funko Games, Funko Blitz
Funko Winner of Danger Mouse 2021 - Twitter
Image Image Image Image

Davunko

Postby Davunko » Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:08 pm

Have never sent any to get graded and don't think I would, but I do enjoy seeing ones that are lol

rontonsoup

Postby rontonsoup » Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:22 pm

I’m not a fan of it, but once the majority of the collectors move that route, then I’ll have to cave in. I like the process for authenticating autographs though.
Collecting since 2014: "A couple that collects together, stays together."

lavery01
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby lavery01 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:10 pm

We haven’t had any graded in our collection, to be honest I’ve never even thought about. lol
Hi I'm Latricia \:D/

Squird
Hall of Fame Class of 2012
Hall of Fame Class of 2012

Postby Squird » Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:17 pm

Not a fan. I feel like all they'll be doing is grading the packaging, the front, and the left side of the figure. I am okay with autograph authenticators. I was at Planet Comicon in KC this weekend and saw a lot of people getting things signed and saw a lot of Signature Series pops in booths. Lots of opportunity for shenanigans.

I
Funklub: 11181

WayneNC704

Postby WayneNC704 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:41 pm

The thought of never opening a pop also sun damage etc - I don't agree with pop grading how can the inspect the actual pop more like box grading

WayneNC704

Pop Grading / Box Grading - Which one is being graded

Postby WayneNC704 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:42 pm

Do they grade the pop box or the physical pop - ????????

mongoose12

Re: Pop Grading / Box Grading - Which one is being graded

Postby mongoose12 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:03 pm

What came first, the chicken or the egg?

DrunkoPop

Postby DrunkoPop » Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:17 pm

WayneNC704 wrote:The thought of never opening a pop also sun damage etc - I don't agree with pop grading how can the inspect the actual pop more like box grading

I’m pretty sure they open the box with out bending the flap and/or you can tell if it’s a fake or not by just looking at the pop.
It’s a weird concept at the beginning. I’m sure this is how card & comic started.
Image Image
ImageImage

Niteowl_1

Postby Niteowl_1 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:37 pm

Everyone has a critique for a pop box as to what is mint and what is not. That being said I think I saw them grading at Star Wars celebration last year. I didn’t agree with the high score they had given that particular box
Iso: freddy funko as doc brown regular and glow, back to the future protos,mirio hero costume (lemillion)proto, killua proto, one piece and demon slayer protos
Image Image Image Image Image Image

bitmap

Postby bitmap » Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:09 pm

Niteowl_1 wrote:Everyone has a critique for a pop box as to what is mint and what is not. That being said I think I saw them grading at Star Wars celebration last year. I didn’t agree with the high score they had given that particular box

i believe PSA is the standard when it comes to this grading system, so having their authority and grading helps with some level of consistency when comparing quality

scullysdad

Postby scullysdad » Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:44 pm

I am not a fan of grading most things - trading cards I am ok with, but graded comics, Pops, VHS tapes, etc just aren’t for me. At the same time, I put everything in a protector and my limited Freddy Pops in armor so what’s really the difference?
Please Funko make Taylor Swift Pops!

Most wanted non-Taylor Pops: Carson Teva, Naru from Prey, The Last of Us TV show

willy wonka
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby willy wonka » Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:50 pm

I like the idea but I can't see myself getting all my pops graded.
Just call me Joe...

ImageImage
ISO: Freddy Mad Hatter LE 1/24, Mad Hatter Protos,
SDCC 4 Pack Dorbz(Found thanks to another Funatic)

emoagogo
HoF 2023 & Spirit
HoF 2023 & Spirit

Postby emoagogo » Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:48 pm

I think the idea is dumb. The box is the only thing being graded and the figure is definitely being ignored. It this point Funko should just sell boxes cuz that’s all people care about.

Emo or Emilio is fine.
ISO: Pixar Protos
IG: emoagogo

CaseyJones14
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY

Postby CaseyJones14 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:36 pm

emoagogo wrote:I think the idea is dumb. The box is the only thing being graded and the figure is definitely being ignored. It this point Funko should just sell boxes cuz that’s all people care about.

Kinda want to send in the most damaged box possible to get a PR 1 grade lol
Brett - caseyj0nes14 on Instagram
ISO - Dorbz and McNugget Protos!

ascaryman

Postby ascaryman » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:15 am

I'm not a fan of it since it separates the casing of my collection.
SDCC 2013-2018 | Fundays 2015-2018

MarkyMark

Postby MarkyMark » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:58 am

I'm on the fence about grading, but I might cave in a do a couple
ImageImageImageImage

c00kiem0nster

Postby c00kiem0nster » Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:19 am

Im against grading. Most of them have been coming up as ways for people who grade themselves to earn more money. Look at the video game bubble currently going on for example.

questkid32

Postby questkid32 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:41 am

I'm a big fan of grading toys, comics and cards, so I'm excited that this is starting to take hold. I always keep mine in the box (and in a hard outer shell) anyway, so this is just adding verified authenticity and eye appeal!

NoobMaster69

Postby NoobMaster69 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:11 am

Just like how grading for cards had to start somewhere, grading pops in boxes will have to start somewhere. Once an accepted criteria becomes standard, then it’ll be easier for others to follow suit. I’d say it’s like how some collectors go and get sealed packs graded - it’s a bit weird IMO but to each their own. In the case of in-box POPs, it just needs to be clearly stated that the grading is effectively for the box and not what’s in the box.

Alanamaslama

Postby Alanamaslama » Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:20 am

I’m ok with the idea of if, but I don’t see myself sending my pops off to get graded. I don’t want to get caught in the obsession of trying to find everything mint. That said, if it really takes off I’m fully expecting people to request dozens of photos whenever I sell pops online.
Hey, I’m Alan!

Events checked off:

Funko Fundays 2017, FunKon 2021
SDCC 1999, 2017-2019, 2022, 2023
WonderCon 2019
Comic Con Revolution Ontario 2017, 2018, 2023
Los Angeles Comic Con 2016, 2018, 2019

brooklyn_geek

Postby brooklyn_geek » Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:39 am

Squird wrote:Not a fan. I feel like all they'll be doing is grading the packaging, the front, and the left side of the figure. I am okay with autograph authenticators. I was at Planet Comicon in KC this weekend and saw a lot of people getting things signed and saw a lot of Signature Series pops in booths. Lots of opportunity for shenanigans.

I have an issue with the autograph thing...sooooo PSA will ONLY authenticate stuff they WITNESSED being signed & I always felt this obviously puts them in cahoots with the organizers of the con, the booths etc. and a cash grab for all involved which is fine on the face of it but it leads the hobby down a familiar path that somehow no one sees coming of PSA slabbed stuff that NO ONE WANTS... lol

Currently in sports card collecting we're living in what's being referred to as the "Junk Slab Era"...many thousands of cards that were sent to PSA and then COVID happened, backlogged to all hell & now the majority of them aren't worth a damn for various reasons but yes graded Funko Pops look cute in the packaging and obviously people will TRY to resell em for insane amounts but the bottom usually falls out after a while... :-/

Fugly16

Postby Fugly16 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:05 pm

brooklyn_geek wrote:I attended NYCC and I saw the first wave of Pops being submitted to PSA for grading...I'm on the fence about it...I don't like the asking prices I'm seeing so far on the market...how do you all feel about graded Pops and the effect it will have or has had on the hobby???

Hard pass for me

mongoose12

Postby mongoose12 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:04 am

CaseyJones14 wrote:
emoagogo wrote:I think the idea is dumb. The box is the only thing being graded and the figure is definitely being ignored. It this point Funko should just sell boxes cuz that’s all people care about.

Kinda want to send in the most damaged box possible to get a PR 1 grade lol

wolfy233

Postby wolfy233 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:18 am

MarkyMark wrote:I'm on the fence about grading, but I might cave in a do a couple

Same. I'm really thinking about a couple of mine too.

brooklyn_geek

Postby brooklyn_geek » Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:31 pm

Lest we all forget PSA was under investigation by the FBI a few years ago for possible involvement in corrupt practices in the sports card industry...I have nothing against grading as a practice but PSA runs their business in a way that resembles what we old schoolers like to call a "racket" lol

And obviously they're literally just grading BOXES...not the hand painted aspects of the actual figure as NO ONE would be perfect ;-)

darqa

Postby darqa » Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:42 pm

Fugly16 wrote:
brooklyn_geek wrote:I attended NYCC and I saw the first wave of Pops being submitted to PSA for grading...I'm on the fence about it...I don't like the asking prices I'm seeing so far on the market...how do you all feel about graded Pops and the effect it will have or has had on the hobby???

Hard pass for me

Likewise, I am not interested in having it done. Certainly hoping it does not become the norm.

DFWFunkoHunter

Postby DFWFunkoHunter » Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:58 pm

To each their own but for me it’s a pass. I feel they may put so much emphasis on the box. I like both the box and the figure to be in decent shape because who wants a 10 box with a figure that has issues on the face. It’s like anything though may just take time for me to get used to the idea of getting stuff graded

DougieFresh_83

Postby DougieFresh_83 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:28 pm

I think it's neat. I don't have anything graded myself, nor do I have an interest in grading my POPs, but I understand why people do it.

Panda

Postby Panda » Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:57 pm

if more and more collectors are starting to grade their pops eventually it'll be the standard norm

PopPChulo

Postby PopPChulo » Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:10 pm

My feedback is I’m genuinely suprised it took this long before it got to that to be honest. Considering how many collectors are constantly looking for mint boxes & that in box collectors dominate the hobby, I feel like it was only a matter of time before we moved in the direction of certification. Tbh I’m genuinely interested to see how they are going to push mass adoption. Me personally though, I’ve been staying away from it however if it becomes something that’s mass adopted in the hobby I guess I’ll have no choice but to conform
PopPChulo

Funko Enthusiast/Creative Idea Expert/Music Analyst/Pop Culture Geek :freddy3:

"Creativity is all around you.. How you chose to use that creativity is at your disgression" - Pop-P Chulo

Ronnie18

Postby Ronnie18 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:04 pm

Getting pops graded is not for me. I don’t care about buying graded pops either.

Jmagic

Postby Jmagic » Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:31 pm

darqa wrote:
Fugly16 wrote:

Hard pass for me

Likewise, I am not interested in having it done. Certainly hoping it does not become the norm.

Hardpass all around for me as well. I'm just having fun collecting.
I Collect Stoof :albino:

Chingy

Postby Chingy » Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:31 pm

It's not for me or my collection, but I totally get it. They're collectibles and people who purchase collectibles from other people want assurance that what they're purchasing is authentic and high quality.

Trujitsu Ninja

Postby Trujitsu Ninja » Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:49 am

I think I’m fine with my pop shields to keep my pop minty. Just another way to spend money on a pop. I’m good without the grading.
:smt027 Trujitsu Ninja
Current collection count 540 updated 06/08/22
Interest pops Anime MHA and Naruto. Movie pops Pennywise, Killer Clowns and Warriors.

Ginzo1622

Postby Ginzo1622 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:13 am

Trujitsu Ninja wrote:I think I’m fine with my pop shields to keep my pop minty. Just another way to spend money on a pop. I’m good without the grading.

Yeah that's good enough, I wonder what will happen long term though will it really be more valuable
Fundays 2022 - Proto Robots
Fright Night 2022
Fundays 2023 - Protomoa Wolves

Don't stand in my way!!!

:whdat:

Joker3346

Postby Joker3346 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:07 pm

I think grading for certain things is fine but definitely not pops. Doesnt matter bout just the box should be the pop as well

Davunko

Postby Davunko » Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:08 pm

usually just try to get a hard stack, but might eventually want to try to grade one, just to have one lol

Return to “Pop!”