Fixing Funko Pop Windows (stickers and paint smears)

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
Toys R Us Kid

Fixing Funko Pop Windows (stickers and paint smears)

Postby Toys R Us Kid » Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:40 am

If you follow me on Instagram you probably have seen these already. But just wanted to share with the boards some of the Pop! fixes I've worked on in my personal collection. I've seen all types of restorations throughout my collecting journey and I hardly classify this as an actual restoration but nonetheless, I felt like giving these pops some good TLC. Something about dusting/polishing collectibles brings joy to my heart and I've had a lot of fun turning this in to a little hobby :) I guess it's similar to hand washing a classic car?
If anyone has any questions on how I did these, feel free to reach out! Otherwise, let me know what ya think! (Funny enough, I plan to display these pops out of the box eventually. But just having some fun in the meantime)

Before

After

Before

After

Before (paint on the inside of box window)

After

Before

After
Last edited by Toys R Us Kid on Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jorge, here! Instagram: toys.r.us.kid
Fundays 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023 | "Making Fun" Hollywood Premier | Funko Hollywood Grand Opening
Fright Night II 2022 | Mask - O - Raid 2022 | FDO9 Sacramento | Funkon I & II

emoagogo
HoF 2023 & Spirit
HoF 2023 & Spirit

Re: Fixing Funko Pop Windows (stickers and paint smears)

Postby emoagogo » Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:53 pm

Whats the best way to get a sticker off and then reapply? ive always wanted to do stuff like this but then get lazy and just forget about it lol

Emo or Emilio is fine.
ISO: Pixar Protos
IG: emoagogo

funkopants777

Postby funkopants777 » Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:15 pm

risky for the bisky but no one does it better!! :)
ImageImageImage

Toys R Us Kid

Postby Toys R Us Kid » Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:37 pm

emoagogo wrote:Whats the best way to get a sticker off and then reapply? ive always wanted to do stuff like this but then get lazy and just forget about it lol

I found that usually the stickers from BoF pops peel off the easiest. All you need to do is lift one corner enough to grab with your fingers, then slowly peel the rest. You can use a blowdryer to help melt the adhesive but I’m too lazy and just start peeling haha. The trick is to roll the sticker back and forth once’s it’s off so it curves towards the box when you reapply (this helps prevent it from lifting in the future)

Smooth pocket knives seem to work best (no serrated blades). I’ve tried an exact-o knife and almost cut right through the sticker so be careful with those.
Fundays 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023 | "Making Fun" Hollywood Premier | Funko Hollywood Grand Opening

Toys R Us Kid

Postby Toys R Us Kid » Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:38 pm

funkopants777 wrote:risky for the bisky but no one does it better!! :)

Haha thanks, Tina! :)

Fugly16

Postby Fugly16 » Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:13 pm

Spoiler: show
Toys R Us Kid wrote:If you follow me on Instagram you probably have seen these already. But just wanted to share with the boards some of the Pop! fixes I've worked on in my personal collection. I've seen all types of restorations throughout my collecting journey and I hardly classify this as an actual restoration but nonetheless, I felt like giving these pops some good TLC. Something about dusting/polishing collectibles brings joy to my heart and I've had a lot of fun turning this in to a little hobby :) I guess it's similar to hand washing a classic car?
If anyone has any questions on how I did these, feel free to reach out! Otherwise, let me know what ya think! (Funny enough, I plan to display these pops out of the box eventually. But just having some fun in the meantime)

Before

After

Before

After

After

Before

After

They've been very fun to watch

Toys R Us Kid

Postby Toys R Us Kid » Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:16 pm

Fugly16 wrote:
Spoiler: show
Toys R Us Kid wrote:If you follow me on Instagram you probably have seen these already. But just wanted to share with the boards some of the Pop! fixes I've worked on in my personal collection. I've seen all types of restorations throughout my collecting journey and I hardly classify this as an actual restoration but nonetheless, I felt like giving these pops some good TLC. Something about dusting/polishing collectibles brings joy to my heart and I've had a lot of fun turning this in to a little hobby :) I guess it's similar to hand washing a classic car?

Before

After

Before

After

After

Before

After

They've been very fun to watch

Well thank you, Vinh :)
They have certainly been fun to do

Brutesquad

Postby Brutesquad » Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:41 pm

Very cool, thanks for sharing this! I've had a few of the paint smear issues throughout the years but yeah.. been too nervous to try and fix :blush:

evanaki424

Postby evanaki424 » Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:46 pm

Toys R Us Kid wrote:
emoagogo wrote:Whats the best way to get a sticker off and then reapply? ive always wanted to do stuff like this but then get lazy and just forget about it lol

I found that usually the stickers from BoF pops peel off the easiest. All you need to do is lift one corner enough to grab with your fingers, then slowly peel the rest. You can use a blowdryer to help melt the adhesive but I’m too lazy and just start peeling haha. The trick is to roll the sticker back and forth once’s it’s off so it curves towards the box when you reapply (this helps prevent it from lifting in the future)

Smooth pocket knives seem to work best (no serrated blades). I’ve tried an exact-o knife and almost cut right through the sticker so be careful with those.

Nice! thanks for the tips!

Shadowfyre

Postby Shadowfyre » Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:59 pm

I've heard there is a way to even get scuff marks off of the plastic windows - I think the person used CD (who owns CDs anymore???) cleaner? I kinda want to find the video again and try it on some pops that are already a bit damaged and being donated. Have you heard of that technique? Do you have one for scuffs on the plastic?
IG: CelestialFireKitty

Hi, my name is Shady or as some would say Randi with an i

World of Warcraft Veteran & Feral Druid main

I have been collecting for about 8 years now - I attended my first Fundays in 2017!

Very first pop - Godzilla (Burning)

I currently collect:
*Anything that looks interesting!
*Maleficent* - would someday LOVE to own a Maleficent dragon proto!
MLP - Pony Power!
Some Disney, Sonic, Godzilla & Freddys!

:mal:

Stat32111

Postby Stat32111 » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:47 pm

Wow that attempt to move the sticker on that pop is risky business! :eek: =D>
Instagram- calebshiny

Ohlordypops

Postby Ohlordypops » Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:08 pm

Great work!! Some of the stickers in my collection are a little wonky and I've thought about this.
Hi! It's Lauren
IG & Twitter: Ohlordypops
Follow me on Instagram: @ohlordypops

MaxFMusic

Postby MaxFMusic » Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:12 pm

That is some very impressive work, well done!
Max F.
Media Scorer, Composer, and Trumpeter
Collecting since November 2013
Funatic Member since July 2022
200+ Funko products in my collection :freddy1:

aprilyoufools

Postby aprilyoufools » Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:13 pm

Amazing job on these so far! These fixes have been fun to watch, dating back to when you were readjusting the stickers from last year's Fundays. I might have to drop off a bunch of our stickered POPs for you to work on, just kidding. :roflmao:
she/they • ARMY | MOA | Bunnies/Tokki | FEARNOT

lazcommalisa
Rookie Of The year
Rookie Of The year

Postby lazcommalisa » Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:40 pm

This is the content I LIVE for lol You already know I'm a big fan and I love how clean the sticker re-adjustments look afterwards

Toys R Us Kid

Postby Toys R Us Kid » Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:33 am

Brutesquad wrote:Very cool, thanks for sharing this! I've had a few of the paint smear issues throughout the years but yeah.. been too nervous to try and fix :blush:

Thank you!
- the paint smears aren't too bad! I used acetone free nail polish remover and a micro fiber. Or if you have them, the cloths to wipe glasses work even better. Just have to follow up and remove any excel remover on the window to avoid damaging the integrity of the window.

Toys R Us Kid

Postby Toys R Us Kid » Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:35 am

Shadowfyre wrote:I've heard there is a way to even get scuff marks off of the plastic windows - I think the person used CD (who owns CDs anymore???) cleaner? I kinda want to find the video again and try it on some pops that are already a bit damaged and being donated. Have you heard of that technique? Do you have one for scuffs on the plastic?

Oh a CD cleaner is genius! I might try it out. For science and let you know.
I actually just attempted removing some scratches using a plastic polish. The one I used didn't really make a difference. But I feel like acetone kind of buffs out scratches but I don't feel comfortable using that because it could just melt through the plastic completely if you leave it on the window.
I'll see if I can get my hands on some CD cleaner and try it out! Will get back to you.

Toys R Us Kid

Postby Toys R Us Kid » Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:36 am

Stat32111 wrote:Wow that attempt to move the sticker on that pop is risky business! :eek: =D>

Certainly is but the results are totally worth it! Just took a little practice before I got comfortable enough to do this on low count pops.

Toys R Us Kid

Postby Toys R Us Kid » Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:37 am

Ohlordypops wrote:Great work!! Some of the stickers in my collection are a little wonky and I've thought about this.

I believe in you, Lauren! If you ever do try it out feel free to reach out anytime! (I just recommend practicing on common pops first haha)

Toys R Us Kid

Postby Toys R Us Kid » Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:38 am

MaxFMusic wrote:That is some very impressive work, well done!

Thanks, Max! :) I plan to keep going and hopefully will have more to post

Toys R Us Kid

Postby Toys R Us Kid » Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:39 am

aprilyoufools wrote:Amazing job on these so far! These fixes have been fun to watch, dating back to when you were readjusting the stickers from last year's Fundays. I might have to drop off a bunch of our stickered POPs for you to work on, just kidding. :roflmao:

Honestly you can if you want lol
I am going to attempt making some reels and will need stuff to work on. I have aother Funatics already handing off a few items.

Toys R Us Kid

Postby Toys R Us Kid » Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:40 am

lazcommalisa wrote:This is the content I LIVE for lol You already know I'm a big fan and I love how clean the sticker re-adjustments look afterwards

BEST. HYPE WOMAN. EVER! \:D/

Brutesquad

Postby Brutesquad » Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:45 pm

Toys R Us Kid wrote:
Brutesquad wrote:Very cool, thanks for sharing this! I've had a few of the paint smear issues throughout the years but yeah.. been too nervous to try and fix :blush:

Thank you!
- the paint smears aren't too bad! I used acetone free nail polish remover and a micro fiber. Or if you have them, the cloths to wipe glasses work even better. Just have to follow up and remove any excel remover on the window to avoid damaging the integrity of the window.

Solid advice, sounds simply enough, even for me! Thx again!

Shadowfyre

Postby Shadowfyre » Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:58 pm

Toys R Us Kid wrote:
Shadowfyre wrote:I've heard there is a way to even get scuff marks off of the plastic windows - I think the person used CD (who owns CDs anymore???) cleaner? I kinda want to find the video again and try it on some pops that are already a bit damaged and being donated. Have you heard of that technique? Do you have one for scuffs on the plastic?

Oh a CD cleaner is genius! I might try it out. For science and let you know.
I actually just attempted removing some scratches using a plastic polish. The one I used didn't really make a difference. But I feel like acetone kind of buffs out scratches but I don't feel comfortable using that because it could just melt through the plastic completely if you leave it on the window.
I'll see if I can get my hands on some CD cleaner and try it out! Will get back to you.

You are the real MVP!
IG: CelestialFireKitty

Hi, my name is Shady or as some would say Randi with an i

World of Warcraft Veteran & Feral Druid main

I have been collecting for about 8 years now - I attended my first Fundays in 2017!

Very first pop - Godzilla (Burning)

I currently collect:
*Anything that looks interesting!
*Maleficent* - would someday LOVE to own a Maleficent dragon proto!
MLP - Pony Power!
Some Disney, Sonic, Godzilla & Freddys!

:mal:

Marvel_Mama

Postby Marvel_Mama » Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:22 pm

Amazing work. Those look great. As long as people take your info and use for good and not evil ;)
Diedre Loves her Funko Family
marvel_mama444 on insta - formerly Divade23 Marvel_Mama

RyceBallz

Postby RyceBallz » Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:04 am

Love your IG stories on fixing these, bud! Keep it up!
Hi! I'm Joey!

zonkttc

Postby zonkttc » Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:07 am

H80DG2n
Before

After

Before

After

After

Before

After

Love whatcha do but damn afraid to do it myself. Looks amazing

dibozz

Postby dibozz » Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:32 pm

Nice.. great post.. I will try to fix some of mine.
What do you use if one corner peeled?

Guyhoff

Postby Guyhoff » Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:41 pm

You can use a hair dryer - use medium heat for about 15-20 second - make sure to move it around all the edges of the sticker. I usualy can get it up with a fingernail, but you can also use a razor blade - but be VERY careful to to nick the window.

After you get the sticker off, you once again can use the hair dryer to warm up the sticker in the new position so the glue will re-stick.
Terry
Cleveland, OH
YouTube: Headless Ned Stark
https://linktr.ee/headlessnedstark

SDCC - 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023, 2024

NYCC - 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022, 2023

SW Celebration - 2019, 2022

Funko Fundays - 2023

Fright Night - 2022

zonkttc

Postby zonkttc » Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:34 am

Heat is both a friend and foe. Please be mindful when using it. Just advice from experience

brooklyn_geek

Postby brooklyn_geek » Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:19 am

Funatics are the premier box collectors in the toy collecting community, ironically I only started caring about Pops! in general after I took my first Pop out of the box lol

On topic I have only had to move stickers twice, both times I used a tweezers and a lot of patience lol

zonkttc

Postby zonkttc » Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:02 pm

A heat gun is too much heat. Just save someone

Markn12

Postby Markn12 » Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:28 pm

Nice work! The stickers look so clean!

sxrgio115

Postby sxrgio115 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:03 am

You play a risky game, but damn does it look good
- Bleach Proto Collector
- Funko Events on Top!
- Anime Fanatic
Wondercon 2023, SDCC 2023, Fright Night 2022, Killer Klowns!!

:whdat:

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:38 am

sxrgio115 wrote:You play a risky game, but damn does it look good

risky but it does look good thanks for sharing.
ImageImageImage

Some people call me the orange hoodie

ISO funko Force creature from black lagoon chase Glow in the dark

Return to “Pop!”