Funko over produced?

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
Pogiboy67

Re: Funko over produced?

Postby Pogiboy67 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:00 am

i agree they have been over produced, especially the ones with tons of variants. puts me off as a collector
:freddy2: POGIBOY67

ImageImageImage

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:43 am

hpellot wrote:
Relinquish wrote:i think funko struggles with being a scaled publicly traded company that is trying to wholesale mass produced collectibles and turn a profit. they'd be more successful in general if they were probably smaller/not publicly traded

I ageee

Like they were before going public! Gimme back my 240 and 480 piece grails LOL!

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:12 pm

rexflexall wrote:
hpellot wrote:
Relinquish wrote:i think funko struggles with being a scaled publicly traded company that is trying to wholesale mass produced collectibles and turn a profit. they'd be more successful in general if they were probably smaller/not publicly traded

I ageee

I think we all miss the 240 and 480 items
ImageImageImage

Some people call me the orange hoodie

ISO funko Force creature from black lagoon chase Glow in the dark

PopPChulo

Postby PopPChulo » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:01 pm

Chingy wrote:
PopPChulo wrote:
rexflexall wrote:
The price on that new Fred mold is just out of budget for me!

Tbh it seems like that new project Fred is designed to be a center piece of a collection. Not necessarily something where you would have a whole collection of just those but maybe if you have a DC themed collection, or Ad Icon themed collection or Marvel themed collection; that would essentially be the centerpiece. I guess if I really really wanted the character I’d go for it but me personally, I think I’ll opt to stick with con exclusives and nft drops for my limited fix

I agree with this. I don't think Project Fred is meant to be a "new release every week" type of thing. It's meant to be the gem of a collection. I'm really into it and can't wait to see what else the line produces, but I understand people's trepidation.

Yeah it’s a unique and new fresh take. It’s super short produced in comparison to some other products that Funko has. I understand the direction they’re taking but I don’t think the community may be perceiving it as such. They are looking at it from the lens of a regular funko pop which is easily accessible and procurable. The fact that these are only available via raffle speaks volumes on what its purpose is
PopPChulo

Funko Enthusiast/Creative Idea Expert/Music Analyst/Pop Culture Geek :freddy3:

"Creativity is all around you.. How you chose to use that creativity is at your disgression" - Pop-P Chulo

Greek187

Postby Greek187 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:48 pm

PopPChulo wrote:
Chingy wrote:
PopPChulo wrote:

Tbh it seems like that new project Fred is designed to be a center piece of a collection. Not necessarily something where you would have a whole collection of just those but maybe if you have a DC themed collection, or Ad Icon themed collection or Marvel themed collection; that would essentially be the centerpiece. I guess if I really really wanted the character I’d go for it but me personally, I think I’ll opt to stick with con exclusives and nft drops for my limited fix

I agree with this. I don't think Project Fred is meant to be a "new release every week" type of thing. It's meant to be the gem of a collection. I'm really into it and can't wait to see what else the line produces, but I understand people's trepidation.

Yeah it’s a unique and new fresh take. It’s super short produced in comparison to some other products that Funko has. I understand the direction they’re taking but I don’t think the community may be perceiving it as such. They are looking at it from the lens of a regular funko pop which is easily accessible and procurable. The fact that these are only available via raffle speaks volumes on what its purpose is

I’m happy or LE COMING BAck . I was blessed to win lottery for one big boy !!
Funko POP collector since 2015
Wife and Husband hobby for both of us
Couples funatics!
EVENTS
Sdcc 2023 :freddy3: Image
WENT TO -.Hollywood grand opening ,Wondercon 23 , FUNKON 1 2021 opening day,,

Funkolotz1622

Postby Funkolotz1622 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:05 pm

Greek187 wrote:
PopPChulo wrote:
Chingy wrote:

I’m happy or LE COMING BAck . I was blessed to win lottery for one big boy !!

I hope you get a chase
Fundays 2022 - Black Light Proto Robos
Fright Night 2022
Fundays 2023 - Protomoa Wolves

digithor

Postby digithor » Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:48 pm

Kwik_One wrote:
Biscuithead Jen wrote:
conventiongeek wrote:Yes, pretty much over produced. Need to find more balance between commons and limited editions... The LE figures make collecting more fun.

I agree. The smaller piece counts really made it exciting to collect. I'm hoping they start to scale back a bit and make more exclusive items.

Unfortunately, I think those days are behind us. I feel we will get the occasional lower piece counts 1000 or more at cons and the lower ones at special events like Fundays or Fright Night or even NFTs.

A really interesting thing they could try out would be an open edition. Allow collectors to preorder for a certain period of time then production of what was ordered ONLY (as long as a certain threshold is met).

I feel an open edition every now and then would be nice, spread it out among different lines as well. Not just the same "x" genre all the time.
SDCC 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
Fundays 2018, 2019, 2021, 2023
HQ Grand Opening, ECCC Night and meetup at HQ, Hollywood Grand Opening, World Premier Making fun
Horror fanatic, GiTD collector, Star Wars
ImageImageImageImage

Relinquish

Postby Relinquish » Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:57 pm

the problem is if they produce more low LE things you get like the few thousand diehard fans stoked but the 100k+ casual fans upset.. it's tough. I don't envy them. I think they have to be creative and smart with it. I think they should scale down and try to manage their brand image more which maybe is what the project fred is for. resellers also helped but kind of killed the market in a way too many resellers just created artificial demand which led to mass scaling that wasn't really needed. maybe they'll go private in the future and scale down. or if they diversify and keep things like project fred as their super limited designer thing and pops stay mass produced idk.

jedividkidd

Postby jedividkidd » Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:24 am

Funkolotz1622 wrote:
jedividkidd wrote:I've been collecting Funko Products since they started making Star Wars Wacky Wobblers in 2006 I believe. As they grew they definitely started mass producing stuff. That was expected though. But i do miss the limited edition and lower number stuff though.

They still have rare pieces though but it so rare that you can only get it in the event.

Yeah. I just haven't been able to get Fundays tickets since 2016.
Funko Events I've attended
"Making Fun - The Story of Funko" World Premiere!
Funko Fundays - 2012-2013-2014-2016
Funko Hollywood Grand Opening
Some favorite items:
Super Showgun Boba Fett Prototype & ROTJ
SDCC 2014 POP! Freddy Funko Boba Fett
Celebration Europe 2013 POP! Boba Fett (Droids)
Wacky Wobbler Bobble Banks Freddy Funko (Boba Fett) PROTOTYPE
b]Major Cons attended:[/b]
SDCC 2016-2018, 2024
LACC 2013,2016-2019,2021

PopPChulo

Postby PopPChulo » Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:06 am

digithor wrote:
Kwik_One wrote:
Biscuithead Jen wrote:
I agree. The smaller piece counts really made it exciting to collect. I'm hoping they start to scale back a bit and make more exclusive items.

Unfortunately, I think those days are behind us. I feel we will get the occasional lower piece counts 1000 or more at cons and the lower ones at special events like Fundays or Fright Night or even NFTs.

A really interesting thing they could try out would be an open edition. Allow collectors to preorder for a certain period of time then production of what was ordered ONLY (as long as a certain threshold is met).

I feel an open edition every now and then would be nice, spread it out among different lines as well. Not just the same "x" genre all the time.

Imo open edition is a EXCELLENT and TOP TIER idea - we seen it recently with the Jason Kelce Pop and what made it an even more immersive experience is the fact that they reached out to the community to get their two cents on it. This allowed fans to participate if they choose to and it gives every CURRENT fan an equal opportunity. It also rewards the fans that jump in the frey at that time and nullifies the argument that everyone casual and hardcore alike didn’t get a chance to get it. Tbh I would like if they did a open edition for as many licenses as possible or at least a couple a month so people that are genuine fans of that license that jump in get something that is somewhat limited.

Ironically, this is already a regularity amongst other collectible brands (namely off the top of my head, Topps) - and not to compare them because they’re completely different but it does make items more collectible in the long run. I have a feeling that Funko may be aware of this already and being a long time fan I know they are always looking at ways to increase the collectibility of their products and cater to different audiences within the fan base so they are probably already conjuring up a plan around this. Especially since the success of the NFT releases
PopPChulo

Funko Enthusiast/Creative Idea Expert/Music Analyst/Pop Culture Geek :freddy3:

"Creativity is all around you.. How you chose to use that creativity is at your disgression" - Pop-P Chulo

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:15 pm

Relinquish wrote:the problem is if they produce more low LE things you get like the few thousand diehard fans stoked but the 100k+ casual fans upset.. it's tough. I don't envy them. I think they have to be creative and smart with it. I think they should scale down and try to manage their brand image more which maybe is what the project fred is for. resellers also helped but kind of killed the market in a way too many resellers just created artificial demand which led to mass scaling that wasn't really needed. maybe they'll go private in the future and scale down. or if they diversify and keep things like project fred as their super limited designer thing and pops stay mass produced idk.

I think it would be great if it went private again but I do not think it will happen
ImageImageImage

Relinquish

Postby Relinquish » Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:58 pm

hpellot wrote:
Relinquish wrote:the problem is if they produce more low LE things you get like the few thousand diehard fans stoked but the 100k+ casual fans upset.. it's tough. I don't envy them. I think they have to be creative and smart with it. I think they should scale down and try to manage their brand image more which maybe is what the project fred is for. resellers also helped but kind of killed the market in a way too many resellers just created artificial demand which led to mass scaling that wasn't really needed. maybe they'll go private in the future and scale down. or if they diversify and keep things like project fred as their super limited designer thing and pops stay mass produced idk.

I think it would be great if it went private again but I do not think it will happen

it would only happen with a lot of pain first. I think they can turn it around they just have to scale down a little and find some niche areas to exploit. I know that sounds bad but the reality is they need to figure out a way to continue to meet their core business goals and stay interesting.

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:58 pm

Relinquish wrote:
hpellot wrote:

it would only happen with a lot of pain first. I think they can turn it around they just have to scale down a little and find some niche areas to exploit. I know that sounds bad but the reality is they need to figure out a way to continue to meet their core business goals and stay interesting.

Only time will tell
ImageImageImage

lavery01
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby lavery01 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:44 pm

Greek187 wrote:Not sure what happened to collecting ways of Funko but it seems everything is a rehash of same characters , nothing really truly limited ? It’s not complaint I collect my Funko since 2015 . But just every thing lately has been bland . Besides a few releases . I’m hope 2024 for Funko they make some good changes towards the collector !!

We started collecting in 2015 as well, and there’s a huge difference in this fandom now. I remember how hard it was back then to really get limited pieces, chases, etc yeah it’s definitely changed.
Hi I'm Latricia \:D/

Nemesis989

Postby Nemesis989 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:07 pm

rexflexall wrote:
hpellot wrote:

I ageee

Those grails are even more special now though
Thank you everyone for this awesome community

Funkolotz1622

Postby Funkolotz1622 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:34 pm

Nemesis989 wrote:
rexflexall wrote:
hpellot wrote:

I ageee

We still have that once in a while
Fundays 2022 - Black Light Proto Robos
Fright Night 2022
Fundays 2023 - Protomoa Wolves

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:31 pm

Funkolotz1622 wrote:
Nemesis989 wrote:
rexflexall wrote:

We still have that once in a while

Yah but not enough LOL!

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:25 pm

lavery01 wrote:
Greek187 wrote:Not sure what happened to collecting ways of Funko but it seems everything is a rehash of same characters , nothing really truly limited ? It’s not complaint I collect my Funko since 2015 . But just every thing lately has been bland . Besides a few releases . I’m hope 2024 for Funko they make some good changes towards the collector !!

We started collecting in 2015 as well, and there’s a huge difference in this fandom now. I remember how hard it was back then to really get limited pieces, chases, etc yeah it’s definitely changed.

it really has I started in 2012
ImageImageImage

Alanamaslama

Postby Alanamaslama » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:48 am

lavery01 wrote:

I liked it when chases were harder to get. The chases seemed so rare, it was an afterthought that I could even get them. It made me appreciate the commons more.
Hey, I’m Alan!

Events checked off:

Funko Fundays 2017, FunKon 2021
SDCC 1999, 2017-2019, 2022, 2023
WonderCon 2019
Comic Con Revolution Ontario 2017, 2018, 2023
Los Angeles Comic Con 2016, 2018, 2019

Nemesis989

Postby Nemesis989 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:53 am

Alanamaslama wrote:
lavery01 wrote:

I liked it when chases were harder to get. The chases seemed so rare, it was an afterthought that I could even get them. It made me appreciate the commons more.

Are you talking about when chases were 1/32? That's a bit before my time, I still very rarely find 1/6
Thank you everyone for this awesome community

Alanamaslama

Postby Alanamaslama » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:35 pm

Nemesis989 wrote:
Alanamaslama wrote:
lavery01 wrote:

Are you talking about when chases were 1/32? That's a bit before my time, I still very rarely find 1/6

Yeah, when they were 1/32. The odds are so low I’d never expect to get one at random online and it would be too hard to find a store that got it in stock at all. Most places wouldn’t stock 32 of a single pop so people were less likely to line up at HT to get one since they probably wouldn’t get one anyway. Less FOMO since “seemingly” everyone and their mama (who they brought to line up at HT) weren’t getting one at a drop.

Funko probably likes 1/6 since it encourages people to gamble more.
Hey, I’m Alan!

Events checked off:

WonderCon 2019

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:55 pm

Alanamaslama wrote:
Nemesis989 wrote:
Alanamaslama wrote:

Yeah, when they were 1/32. The odds are so low I’d never expect to get one at random online and it would be too hard to find a store that got it in stock at all. Most places wouldn’t stock 32 of a single pop so people were less likely to line up at HT to get one since they probably wouldn’t get one anyway. Less FOMO since “seemingly” everyone and their mama (who they brought to line up at HT) weren’t getting one at a drop.

I think the sales and hype show that a 1:6 chase helps sell the product faster
ImageImageImage

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:55 pm

Alanamaslama wrote:
Nemesis989 wrote:
Alanamaslama wrote:

ImageImageImage

Alanamaslama

Postby Alanamaslama » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:19 pm

hpellot wrote:
Alanamaslama wrote:
Nemesis989 wrote:

Oh definitely. Whenever a chase drops you get people lining up at stores and everyone shares theirs on social media. Those anime exclusives with chases usually sell fast since people are buying multiples. I get why they do it, but to me it just makes the non-chase seem like fodder once everyone starts dumping their extras.
Hey, I’m Alan!

Events checked off:

WonderCon 2019

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:36 am

Alanamaslama wrote:
hpellot wrote:
Alanamaslama wrote:

Oh definitely. Whenever a chase drops you get people lining up at stores and everyone shares theirs on social media. Those anime exclusives with chases usually sell fast since people are buying multiples. I get why they do it, but to me it just makes the non-chase seem like fodder once everyone starts dumping their extras.

I agree the two drops today do not have a chase I wonder if they sell out fast or sell out today
ImageImageImage

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:23 am

Alanamaslama wrote:
lavery01 wrote:

Finding a chase on the hunt when it was harder odds definitely felt way more satisfying!

JJHODGE

Postby JJHODGE » Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:38 am

plumb102 wrote:
PopLoot wrote:Definitely some products more than others. What surprises me is Vaulted pops making there way back into the market. I guess it is good for new collectors that may have missed the initial release.

That always surprises me too; aren't reprinting some as well?

Are they reprinting?! I thought they just kept producing new molds for the same characters. Do you mean reprinting already vaulted pops?

diabolix

Postby diabolix » Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:10 pm

JJHODGE wrote:
plumb102 wrote:
PopLoot wrote:Definitely some products more than others. What surprises me is Vaulted pops making there way back into the market. I guess it is good for new collectors that may have missed the initial release.

Are they reprinting?! I thought they just kept producing new molds for the same characters. Do you mean reprinting already vaulted pops?

Not sure if reprinting or just finding old stock. Recently a lot of older HT exclusives restocked on their website that were thought to be vaulted.

zonkttc

Postby zonkttc » Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:32 pm

Just curious whats everyone's opinion on reprinting on the value.

Dsho333

Postby Dsho333 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:33 pm

diabolix wrote:
JJHODGE wrote:
plumb102 wrote:

Not sure if reprinting or just finding old stock. Recently a lot of older HT exclusives restocked on their website that were thought to be vaulted.

Vaulting is a process from Funko, if hot topic (which has been notorious for reprinting their exclusives) asks for more pops, Funko is gonna do it, regardless of if they vaulted it or not

diabolix

Postby diabolix » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:37 pm

Dsho333 wrote:
diabolix wrote:
JJHODGE wrote:

Vaulting is a process from Funko, if hot topic (which has been notorious for reprinting their exclusives) asks for more pops, Funko is gonna do it, regardless of if they vaulted it or not

Seems odd that Hot Topic doesn't ask for some of the more popular exclusives from the past instead of more recent ones. That's why I kind of thinking they just found stock in a warehouse

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:06 am

diabolix wrote:
Dsho333 wrote:
diabolix wrote:

Seems odd that Hot Topic doesn't ask for some of the more popular exclusives from the past instead of more recent ones. That's why I kind of thinking they just found stock in a warehouse

I agree i think it was old stock
ImageImageImage

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:10 am

hpellot wrote:
lavery01 wrote:

it really has I started in 2012

Been in it since 2013 or so too and miss those days of yore!

Trendkill24hr

Postby Trendkill24hr » Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:26 am

Seeing more limited pops besides NFTs and Freddie’s would be nice, but personally just want to see some new licenses.
"Being a geek means never having to play it cool about how much you like something" Simon Pegg

Call me C.J. :)
Events: Fundays 2022 & 2023, Fright Night 2022, FDO9
Collection: 372 pieces as of 03/25/24
ISO Proto: Paka Paka Dragon

Alanamaslama

Postby Alanamaslama » Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:52 pm

Trendkill24hr wrote:Seeing more limited pops besides NFTs and Freddie’s would be nice, but personally just want to see some new licenses.

I’m happy for the One Piece collectors, but man Funko, let the license breathe a little and give us some other lines. lol
Hey, I’m Alan!

Events checked off:

WonderCon 2019

The4thCurator

Postby The4thCurator » Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:19 pm

I really love this post! I love how back in the day when Funko items were super limited even the Common stuff was hard to get. Then Funko goes public and starts to gain a lot of popularity. So, more people start to collect and Funko starts to make more of everything and people love it! Then less people start to collect since you can find pretty much any Funko item in every store you usually shop at.Yes! Funko is making more then every but it's are own fault for asking them too make more! I mean I never asked for more because then my stuff would get less valuable! Just like they keep remaking new molds for old figures! Blame yourselves for this or at least the people that asked for more! Love you guys!
ImageImageImage Image

noahhrs

Postby noahhrs » Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:53 am

evanaki424 wrote:
hpellot wrote:
noahhrs wrote:
The Disney Lorcana cards are also a good example. Huge hype but then they ended up being everywhere and seemed super overproduced

True and lorcana still keeps pumping them out

I am torn on whether I like the limited-ness and then cry when I miss out on things or whether I like being able to get things easily and then cry over the lack of rarity in my collection

Both, definitely both lol
SDCC 23
Camp Fundays 23

Soon: SDCC 24

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:24 am

Fredo66 wrote:I really love this post! I love how back in the day when Funko items were super limited even the Common stuff was hard to get. Then Funko goes public and starts to gain a lot of popularity. So, more people start to collect and Funko starts to make more of everything and people love it! Then less people start to collect since you can find pretty much any Funko item in every store you usually shop at.Yes! Funko is making more then every but it's are own fault for asking them too make more! I mean I never asked for more because then my stuff would get less valuable! Just like they keep remaking new molds for old figures! Blame yourselves for this or at least the people that asked for more! Love you guys!

In general most collectibles increased production during COVID and now they have had to adjust back down
ImageImageImage

The4thCurator

Postby The4thCurator » Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:34 am

hpellot wrote:
Fredo66 wrote:I really love this post! I love how back in the day when Funko items were super limited even the Common stuff was hard to get. Then Funko goes public and starts to gain a lot of popularity. So, more people start to collect and Funko starts to make more of everything and people love it! Then less people start to collect since you can find pretty much any Funko item in every store you usually shop at.Yes! Funko is making more then every but it's are own fault for asking them too make more! I mean I never asked for more because then my stuff would get less valuable! Just like they keep remaking new molds for old figures! Blame yourselves for this or at least the people that asked for more! Love you guys!

In general most collectibles increased production during COVID and now they have had to adjust back down

I wasn't talking about covid time.
ImageImageImage Image

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:30 pm

Fredo66 wrote:
hpellot wrote:

I wasn't talking about covid time.

Ok thanks
ImageImageImage

Return to “Pop!”