Funko over produced?

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
Tusken

Re: Funko over produced?

Postby Tusken » Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:53 am

edsteez wrote:That’s why I’ve slimmed my collection. Very picky now many things come out. Can’t grab em all

I do the same thing as it became crazy at one point because there is so much one could want in the Funko world. :freddy3:
Hi I'm Tusken.
Top Fan Badge of Funko, Funko Europe, Funko (Hollywood), Funko Games, Funko Blitz
Funko Winner of Danger Mouse 2021 - Twitter
Image Image Image Image

Greek187

Postby Greek187 » Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:56 pm

PopLoot wrote:Definitely some products more than others. What surprises me is Vaulted pops making there way back into the market. I guess it is good for new collectors that may have missed the initial release.

This I hate ! Old pops being remade and kill the value of th o.g … they have to stop this to keep collectors sane !
Funko POP collector since 2015
Wife and Husband hobby for both of us
Couples funatics!
EVENTS
Sdcc 2023 :freddy3: Image
WENT TO -.Hollywood grand opening ,Wondercon 23 , FUNKON 1 2021 opening day,,

Greek187

Postby Greek187 » Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:59 pm

edsteez wrote:That’s why I’ve slimmed my collection. Very picky now many things come out. Can’t grab em all

I hav not bought any new in while , mainly keeping my self just to buy at Sdcc/Wondercon and fundays . Only 3 events I care about unless Funko does any Halloween event or special events but basic exclusives ain’t cutting it anymore of same - I started to collect Lego as well since the downtime from Funko
Couples funatics!
EVENTS

Greek187

Postby Greek187 » Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:07 pm

jigsaw wrote:
Greek187 wrote:Not sure what happened to collecting ways of Funko but it seems everything is a rehash of same characters , nothing really truly limited ? It’s not complaint I collect my Funko since 2015 . But just every thing lately has been bland . Besides a few releases . I’m hope 2024 for Funko they make some good changes towards the collector !!

this has been the situation for a while now. I understand the need for variation but once you start changing the color of the pop to match every color of the rainbow i feel thats a bit too far imo

100% agree - 4 variants is the first wave of of 1 character and then after 5 more with colors
Couples funatics!
EVENTS

Chickyx2

Postby Chickyx2 » Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:07 pm

Greek187 wrote:Not sure what happened to collecting ways of Funko but it seems everything is a rehash of same characters , nothing really truly limited ? It’s not complaint I collect my Funko since 2015 . But just every thing lately has been bland . Besides a few releases . I’m hope 2024 for Funko they make some good changes towards the collector !!

I agree, alot of mass production and pops not selling sitting on store shelves, not a very good business strategy. My son and I have been collecting since 2011. We've been attending sdcc since 2013. We would go and walk right into the booth. 2014 was when they began the sharing of exclusives and to be honest it made sense at the time. But now everything is shared but a couple sometimes, this really sucks for us that attend and spend alot of money at cons. Sole reason for attending is to buy the exclusive pops, and also for the con experience I guess. Hopefully Funko gets back to the limited piece count.
SDCC 2013 TO PRESENT
FRIGHT NIGHT 1 SAN DIEGO
FUNDAYS 2015,2017,2018,2023
HOLLYWOOD GRAND OPENING :freddy3:

Greek187

Postby Greek187 » Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:09 pm

Chickyx2 wrote:

I agree, alot of mass production and pops not selling sitting on store shelves, not a very good business strategy. My son and I have been collecting since 2011. We've been attending sdcc since 2013. We would go and walk right into the booth. 2014 was when they began the sharing of exclusives and to be honest it made sense at the time. But now everything is shared but a couple sometimes, this really sucks for us that attend and spend alot of money at cons. Sole reason for attending is to buy the exclusive pops, and also for the con experience I guess. Hopefully Funko gets back to the limited piece count.

They used it con only exl and then few shared pops but now 60 releases for Sdcc are all shared and maybe 1-3 are con only while rest are shared and over produced
Couples funatics!
EVENTS

engu001

Postby engu001 » Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:20 pm

The issue I have is that they are reprinting too many, especially con POPs after the con.
I slowed down a lot since then.

:fdo91:

Alanamaslama

Postby Alanamaslama » Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:20 am

On the positive side, I save a lot of money because things stay in stock long enough to go on sale or even clearance. I also wait long enough for sales that impulse buys aren’t an issue. On the down side, the Funko FOMO made collecting a lot of fun. When I started in 2015, going from my comic shop to Hot Topic to Target felt worth the hunt even if I didn’t buy anything because every store had a different selection . They weren’t overflowing with the same clearance pops. I don’t know when’s the last time I had a crazy find in stores for retail. Maybe 2018.

It also felt like trading was more common, at least in my community. Because the overproduction nowadays, people don’t really have an issue buying. Most people know to wait for the aftermarket to settle or for things to restock anyway. People are only really trading for older-ish grails and maybe con stickers. It may be because quarantine helped transition people away from in-store shopping and finding things online more easily. Still, it makes me kind of sad that my local FB groups are almost tumbleweeds now.
Hey, I’m Alan!

Events checked off:

Funko Fundays 2017, FunKon 2021
SDCC 1999, 2017-2019, 2022, 2023
WonderCon 2019
Comic Con Revolution Ontario 2017, 2018, 2023
Los Angeles Comic Con 2016, 2018, 2019

Elviax

Postby Elviax » Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:01 am

engu001 wrote:The issue I have is that they are reprinting too many, especially con POPs after the con.

Yeah the multiple variants of the same mold is what i try to avoid
Anime/Pokemon Collector

Biscuithead Jen

Postby Biscuithead Jen » Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:24 am

kmandude92 wrote:I'm cool with having enough for everyone but at this point, I usually just wait for anything that's not exclusive to go on sale

This! So many times last year we bought products right when they came out just for them to go on sale later which was frustrating. Lesson learned lol

PopPChulo

Postby PopPChulo » Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:09 pm

Alanamaslama wrote:On the positive side, I save a lot of money because things stay in stock long enough to go on sale or even clearance. I also wait long enough for sales that impulse buys aren’t an issue. On the down side, the Funko FOMO made collecting a lot of fun. When I started in 2015, going from my comic shop to Hot Topic to Target felt worth the hunt even if I didn’t buy anything because every store had a different selection . They weren’t overflowing with the same clearance pops. I don’t know when’s the last time I had a crazy find in stores for retail. Maybe 2018.

It also felt like trading was more common, at least in my community. Because the overproduction nowadays, people don’t really have an issue buying. Most people know to wait for the aftermarket to settle or for things to restock anyway. People are only really trading for older-ish grails and maybe con stickers. It may be because quarantine helped transition people away from in-store shopping and finding things online more easily. Still, it makes me kind of sad that my local FB groups are almost tumbleweeds now.

I do agree with this, I remember it used to be a big find when I discovered an older pop in a hot topic. Now its not really a big deal and most of the time has a clearance sticker slapped on the box regardless of the license
PopPChulo

Funko Enthusiast/Creative Idea Expert/Music Analyst/Pop Culture Geek :freddy3:

"Creativity is all around you.. How you chose to use that creativity is at your disgression" - Pop-P Chulo

Mjacob78

Postby Mjacob78 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:53 pm

Yes I have cut way back on purchasing funkos recently. There is no room to put them and how many versions of the same character that I collect do I really need? There are no more real exclusives because all the “con exclusives “ are no longer exclusive even fundays has different versions of what’s handed out.
Gotta love those pops :freddy2:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

KwangWin9

Postby KwangWin9 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:48 am

Edwynstoys wrote:
jigsaw wrote:

this has been the situation for a while now. I understand the need for variation but once you start changing the color of the pop to match every color of the rainbow i feel thats a bit too far imo

This is my sentiment. Some of the variations are worthy but there are many where it feels just like a money grab. Atleast put some effort into the piece and people will love it

This is how i feel about the MCU, HP, and Stranger Things lines...Harry doesn't need 20 different versions of himself :-#

kmandude92

Postby kmandude92 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:59 am

Biscuithead Jen wrote:
kmandude92 wrote:I'm cool with having enough for everyone but at this point, I usually just wait for anything that's not exclusive to go on sale

This! So many times last year we bought products right when they came out just for them to go on sale later which was frustrating. Lesson learned lol

The only time this really hurt me is when I waited for God Loki to go on sale, then it sold out (and it's $100 on resale right now :eek: )
Stay Lit, Y'all :-({|=
ISO:
Ezio 21 (looking for all versions - grey outfit, black outfit, blue outfit)
Logan 28 (Box Only - I have the non-bobblehead Pop itself)
Peter Parker 34 (Box Only - I have the Pop itself)
God Loki

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:23 am

I've resigned myself to only get SDCC ones at the most from this point on unless wifey wants certain ones outside of that!

Serch_na

Postby Serch_na » Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:58 am

Funko became mainstream very quick, before you could only get them in a few places now even in the car wash they sell a Pop lol
NYCC 2022
Deadpool - Photography - Mexican

Elviax

Postby Elviax » Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:00 pm

Serch_na wrote:Funko became mainstream very quick, before you could only get them in a few places now even in the car wash they sell a Pop lol

Wait what?! It sounds like im going to the wrong car wash apparently lol
Anime/Pokemon Collector

zonkttc

Postby zonkttc » Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:47 am

Elviax wrote:
Serch_na wrote:Funko became mainstream very quick, before you could only get them in a few places now even in the car wash they sell a Pop lol

That might be a great business idea. Quick some1 patent this.

kmandude92

Postby kmandude92 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:18 am

zonkttc wrote:
Elviax wrote:

That might be a great business idea. Quick some1 patent this.

Waiting on that Scrub-a-Dub Exclusive lol
Stay Lit, Y'all :-({|=
ISO:
Ezio 21 (looking for all versions - grey outfit, black outfit, blue outfit)
Logan 28 (Box Only - I have the non-bobblehead Pop itself)
Peter Parker 34 (Box Only - I have the Pop itself)
God Loki

evanaki424

Postby evanaki424 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:52 am

LakerSpartan117 wrote:So I wanted to put in my 2cents on the subject. Yes I think Funko has "overproduced" and it's not just about a specific Pop/memorabilia, but it's also about about reducing the number of limited edition Pops/memorabilia in general. We've all seen the videos of garbage dumps and landfills being filled with Funko's overproduced lines that are not selling. It's insane!

How did this happen? A lot of it can be traced back to management. The desire to reach new audiences with new product lines that extended beyond Pops. But it can also stem from the desire to make "everyone happy". I know I was there when their Funko-Shop website was being botted to hell when 12 Days of Christmas drops were occurring or Con drops.

I think at the end of the day, since you can't make everyone happy, Funko should return to their roots. Make a bunch of Pops LE 480 and such and make different variants to help induce trading. Flippers and scalpers are always going to be apart of it, and there's no way to stop them because overproducing not only can make them disinterested but kill their business.

Hopefully this new year brings a new approach that makes collectors happy. Slowing production and renewing the "vaulting" process is a start. No matter what happens, I'm still collecting Pops lol

It is so hard now that they are public. The revenue and profit expectations are so high and they get hammered every quarter. They need to be private again but that is such a long road

chosenjuan01

Postby chosenjuan01 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:48 pm

Dave17251 wrote:
Funkolotz1622 wrote:
Dave17251 wrote:I wonder if most people can hang onto Funko making their changes. Will it be too late or thinking they can recover?

I'll hang to my Funko because I like them, value is just a bonus for me.

I've definitely cut out some but I still have all my pops. They're not going anywhere!

Starting to cut most of my collecting habits because of the overproduction. I’m still going to keep some of my favorites but man are they becoming bland on these pop ideas. This year is make it or break it for Funko I believe.
I AM THE CHOSENJUAN :dance:
SHINZOU WO SASAGAYO
COMPTON BORN N RAISED

brooklyn_geek

Postby brooklyn_geek » Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:55 pm

This thread only makes me laugh because of the 8 million other threads asking for more Pops from dozens of other lines lol

Anhtrung05

Postby Anhtrung05 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:53 am

brooklyn_geek wrote:This thread only makes me laugh because of the 8 million other threads asking for more Pops from dozens of other lines lol

I’m ok producing from other lines. I will buy it if it is cool. However, as a collector I feel unsatisfied when I worked so hard saving up for a pop and now it is being released again at a cheaper price. Makes me think twice when I see an expensive pop. The thought of them reprinting/unvaulting it comes to mind now.

Anhtrung05

Postby Anhtrung05 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:56 am

Elviax wrote:
engu001 wrote:The issue I have is that they are reprinting too many, especially con POPs after the con.

Yeah the multiple variants of the same mold is what i try to avoid

This is the thing that made me stop going to the con!! Last year was my last. I didn’t even try for SDCC! It is hard getting a lottery, gotta spend all this time/money, and the crowd is insane! Lol I’ll just buy the restock and any special one I’ll wait for it to get reprinted.

zonkttc

Postby zonkttc » Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:02 pm

I got to agree. At times there's too many reprints. I understand the way I just don't like it.

brooklyn_geek

Postby brooklyn_geek » Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:58 pm

Anhtrung05 wrote:
brooklyn_geek wrote:This thread only makes me laugh because of the 8 million other threads asking for more Pops from dozens of other lines lol

I’m ok producing from other lines. I will buy it if it is cool. However, as a collector I feel unsatisfied when I worked so hard saving up for a pop and now it is being released again at a cheaper price. Makes me think twice when I see an expensive pop. The thought of them reprinting/unvaulting it comes to mind now.

When I first got familiar with Funko it was when I was starting my retail business and it was 2014. I didn't understand what the secondary market was all about and why people paid over retail for any Pops...my sales rep said something I always keep in mind and it carries over into the hobby itself: "at the end of the day it's all cheap toys made in Asia " lol

I say it to myself whenever I need to keep perspective. None of these items are necessary things and the hobby problems are first world problems...I know I know just saying ;-)

Ronnie18

Postby Ronnie18 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:52 pm

Honestly, I feel the same way. Every year I continue to be shocked with the amount of Funkos coming out and depending on the character you can see several variations come out each year. Which can make collecting difficult.

x88joe88x

Postby x88joe88x » Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:45 am

Anhtrung05 wrote:I am okay when a new variant comes out for the same pop, however, it makes me sad when they unvault things. I work so hard to add those into my collection and now I regret doing it.

I hate that they unvault things. I think they need to dial it back a bit. I’m fine with them covering entire lines, but we don’t need 100 variants of a particular pop and I think they need to print fewer of each mold. There’s too many just sitting in stores for months/years. And go back to those weekly Funko shop super limited releases!
Instagram: popstop_nyc
YouTube.com/@popstopnyc
ImageImage Image
Collector since 2013!
750 pops and counting…
NYCC since 2013
SDCC 2023, 2024
C2E2 2024

joeb0011

Postby joeb0011 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:59 am

PopLoot wrote:Definitely some products more than others. What surprises me is Vaulted pops making there way back into the market. I guess it is good for new collectors that may have missed the initial release.

Vaulted should stay vaulted...
ImageImage

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:31 am

Same! Massive slow down on buying for me as well.

Meowmix4

Postby Meowmix4 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:14 pm

Totally agree. So much volume lately that I've slowed down on collecting.

There are so many characters I've skipped because I know it wont sell out and I think there will be a new mold at a later time. Everyone wants their collectibles to have some value and it gets harder to justify my purchases when I know something is over produced.

sealordbrian

Postby sealordbrian » Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:06 pm

Lots of discussion on this lately. Anything I'd say has been basically brought up my all of the usual social media content creators.

Greek187

Postby Greek187 » Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:10 am

Meowmix4 wrote:Totally agree. So much volume lately that I've slowed down on collecting.

There are so many characters I've skipped because I know it wont sell out and I think there will be a new mold at a later time. Everyone wants their collectibles to have some value and it gets harder to justify my purchases when I know something is over produced.

I’m waiting for Sdcc z fundays and Wondercon before I buy
Couples funatics!
EVENTS

Ginzo1622

Postby Ginzo1622 » Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:36 am

joeb0011 wrote:

Agreed. They can always make new mold
Fundays 2022 - Proto Robots
Fright Night 2022
Fundays 2023 - Protomoa Wolves

Don't stand in my way!!!

:whdat:

Greek187

Postby Greek187 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:57 pm

Ginzo1622 wrote:
joeb0011 wrote:

Agreed. They can always make new mold

I am sticking to only what I currently must have, and have scaled down on buying personally, I’m sticking to the mega pop line since it’s easier to control.. but I just seen the Goodfellas in. Need to have them all. Lol
Couples funatics!
EVENTS

Ohlordypops

Postby Ohlordypops » Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:21 pm

I think they are producing a lot, and it's sad to see so many on the shelves when we're out shopping. I have scaled back to focus on certain lines/fandoms with a focus of what I have space for as well.
Hi! It's Lauren
IG & Twitter: Ohlordypops
Follow me on Instagram: @ohlordypops

zaghawk
HoF 2020 & CotM
HoF 2020 & CotM

Postby zaghawk » Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:10 pm

I do wonder from a business standpoint did they make the right decision on capitalizing on mass production during peak interest that was going to slow down regardless of what they did or not. or did they cause the drop in interest with the mass production.
Gavin

FunKlub # 14297

Missnoobcake3

Postby Missnoobcake3 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:55 pm

Dave17251 wrote:
BestDadEver wrote:
Dave17251 wrote:
I'm feeling the same. Even the hunt isn't the same when I can just pick any retailer exclusive on their site half of the time. Hopefully they stay true to their plan to overhaul their flow. Variants of the same pop have always been a thing and will never go away but its how they distribute it. I don't see anyone complaining about how ugly Planet Arlia Vegeta and it has a common and metallic variant in regular colors. That pop will always be desired due to how rare it is. I just wish Funko still made limited pops for those who want it. When was the last time we had a good numbered exclusive on the funko shop

I think the issue IMO is that when a company tries to make everyone happy, no one is happy. If things get limited and hard to get, funko gets the rage of others stating that they are feeding the resellers. If they make things available and not so limited, the same rage against funko comes out stating that things are not limited and have little to no value. So what is there to do from a company standpoint? Be like other companies and just make products that are attainable by all?? I honestly just wish that convention pops were only available at conventions. I am not a fan of making all pops except a few con exclusives. It costs a lot of money to attend a convention and it would be amazing if all pops were made for con attendees only. But like I said that would make me happy but anger others, so if Funko is trying to make everyone happy, no one is going to be happy. It's a tough place to be in.

I agree with it being hard to please both sides. Personally I feel they should still cater more to the collector side and keep them more limited. Especially convention ones or event exclusive. Otherwise, why have them labeled as a collectible or exclusive?

As a collector this is how i feel, just a few years ago i remember waiting online for funko to drop the exclusive that i wanted and it always selling out. It was exciting and fun. If you missed then it was the hunt to get eventually. Nowadays there seems to be no excitement and no social media team hurt badly in my opinion. I just want limited pieces back even if it sucks missing them.
:freddy2:

Nycc 2022 | IG: missnoobcake3 | Pop, Soda, NFT Collector | Fotw 5/2023

ImageImageImage

chaostryder

Postby chaostryder » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:44 pm

My convention exclusive Dabi compared to the new common Dabi that looks the same hurts my soul a bit haha
:freddy2:

Current ISO: Toucan Sam!

Past Events:
- Funko Fundays 2017, Funko HQ Grand Opening, Funko Fundays 2018

Alanamaslama

Postby Alanamaslama » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:24 pm

chaostryder wrote:My convention exclusive Dabi compared to the new common Dabi that looks the same hurts my soul a bit haha

I sold my Dabi last year. I figured Funko would eventually make a new mold and variant, but I didn’t figure it would be that similar to the con exclusive. SDCC Bakugo vs HT Bakugo is still probably one of the worst perpetrators of this though. The HT one is exactly the same, they just faced one arm forward.
Hey, I’m Alan!

Events checked off:

Funko Fundays 2017, FunKon 2021
SDCC 1999, 2017-2019, 2022, 2023
WonderCon 2019
Comic Con Revolution Ontario 2017, 2018, 2023
Los Angeles Comic Con 2016, 2018, 2019

Return to “Pop!”