Funko over produced?

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
evanaki424

Re: Funko over produced?

Postby evanaki424 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:57 am

hpellot wrote:
noahhrs wrote:
hpellot wrote:

I agree and the entire collectible industry has and needed to cut production nunber it’s not just a funko issue

Hasbro has done massive cuts as well

The Disney Lorcana cards are also a good example. Huge hype but then they ended up being everywhere and seemed super overproduced

True and lorcana still keeps pumping them out

I am torn on whether I like the limited-ness and then cry when I miss out on things or whether I like being able to get things easily and then cry over the lack of rarity in my collection

funkomarv96

Postby funkomarv96 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:21 pm

Harry Potter and marvel are 2 over the most over produced lines in my opinion. But I’m over here still buying LOL

x88joe88x

Postby x88joe88x » Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:04 pm

Greek187 wrote:Not sure what happened to collecting ways of Funko but it seems everything is a rehash of same characters , nothing really truly limited ? It’s not complaint I collect my Funko since 2015 . But just every thing lately has been bland . Besides a few releases . I’m hope 2024 for Funko they make some good changes towards the collector !!

They NEED to go back to the way they used to operate. We don't need 10000 variants of the same character. Limit the pieces. Make fewer characters. Be collectible again. Hoping that happens in 2024
Instagram: popstop_nyc
YouTube.com/@popstopnyc
ImageImage Image
Collector since 2013!
750 pops and counting…
NYCC since 2013
SDCC 2023, 2024
C2E2 2024

LoneWolf72

Postby LoneWolf72 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:59 pm

I got to admit that when Funko went public, a lot of things changed. But answering to board members will do that. At times I really miss the old days, and like many other collectors, I've narrowed my collection to what I truly love. But I do really appreciate that Mike does what he can to bring a little of the old school fun into this new version of Funko.
I'm Chad AKA Mr. StarWarner.
Image Image
Collecting since 2013
Fundays: 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
Virtual Con (2020), and Funkon (2021)
Funko Panel, Bingo Night (SDCC)
Funko Panel, Hall H (SDCC)
Fright Night San Diego
Funko HQ Grand Opening
FDO: Los Angeles (×2), Sacramento, and Baltimore (×2)
Fun on the Run, San Diego

Funkolotz1622

Postby Funkolotz1622 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:15 pm

LoneWolf72 wrote:I got to admit that when Funko went public, a lot of things changed. But answering to board members will do that. At times I really miss the old days, and like many other collectors, I've narrowed my collection to what I truly love. But I do really appreciate that Mike does what he can to bring a little of the old school fun into this new version of Funko.

But if they didn't went to public we probably don't have most of the good stuffs in our collection.
Fundays 2022 - Black Light Proto Robos
Fright Night 2022
Fundays 2023 - Protomoa Wolves

LoneWolf72

Postby LoneWolf72 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:52 pm

Funkolotz1622 wrote:
LoneWolf72 wrote:I got to admit that when Funko went public, a lot of things changed. But answering to board members will do that. At times I really miss the old days, and like many other collectors, I've narrowed my collection to what I truly love. But I do really appreciate that Mike does what he can to bring a little of the old school fun into this new version of Funko.

But if they didn't went to public we probably don't have most of the good stuffs in our collection.

Yes and no. Funko did gain money by going public, which has allowed them to expand their lines. But the licencing was already there before. If anything, it has made the product lines less exclusive, but by expanding they have brought in more customers. Change is always a double edge sword. In this case Funko has gained a new generation of collectors all over the world, but at the cost of a lot of older collectors who liked the exclusivity. I myself love Funko, and continue to stay loyal to the brand. My worry though is for Funko's future. That if it continues to flood the market to much, it will end up going the way of Cabbage Patch Kids and Beanie Babies.
Image Image
Collecting since 2013
Fright Night San Diego
Funko HQ Grand Opening

FunEmployed

Postby FunEmployed » Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:18 am

Exclusivity is one of the key things that kept Funko afloat. Going public or not is irrelevant, if they cannot keep their licensing targeted then it is pointless and they will become Beanie Babies. Project Fred is a prime example of a company out of touch with its base. Yes, the mold is awesome, but the price point is a huge miss. Who are they attracting? They want to enter the designer toy market but are jumping with a larger mold and excessive cost, rather than using a smaller, less cost-prohibitive model. Much as I want to invest in Project Fred that $300 can be invested in other, more established artists, whose molds are valued around $200-$300 and far more unique. Or, I can take $300 and use that to purchase several other Funkos of my choice. Overall, Project Fred feels like a Kickstarter to test the water, especially with EQL.

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:03 pm

FunEmployed wrote:Exclusivity is one of the key things that kept Funko afloat. Going public or not is irrelevant, if they cannot keep their licensing targeted then it is pointless and they will become Beanie Babies. Project Fred is a prime example of a company out of touch with its base. Yes, the mold is awesome, but the price point is a huge miss. Who are they attracting? They want to enter the designer toy market but are jumping with a larger mold and excessive cost, rather than using a smaller, less cost-prohibitive model. Much as I want to invest in Project Fred that $300 can be invested in other, more established artists, whose molds are valued around $200-$300 and far more unique. Or, I can take $300 and use that to purchase several other Funkos of my choice. Overall, Project Fred feels like a Kickstarter to test the water, especially with EQL.

I agree I also think it should have been priced like a 400/100 bearbrick combo so 110-140 max
ImageImageImage

Some people call me the orange hoodie

ISO funko Force creature from black lagoon chase Glow in the dark

Missnoobcake3

Postby Missnoobcake3 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:43 pm

So true, i've noticed myself just focusing on stuff i truly want. Mike doesn't get enough credit that man works so hard for the fans. One of the main reasons i believe Funko still has a semi social presence sadly.
:freddy2:

Nycc 2022 | IG: missnoobcake3 | Pop, Soda, NFT Collector | Fotw 5/2023

ImageImageImage

Funko Ronin

Postby Funko Ronin » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:26 pm

FunEmployed wrote:Exclusivity is one of the key things that kept Funko afloat. Going public or not is irrelevant, if they cannot keep their licensing targeted then it is pointless and they will become Beanie Babies. Project Fred is a prime example of a company out of touch with its base. Yes, the mold is awesome, but the price point is a huge miss. Who are they attracting? They want to enter the designer toy market but are jumping with a larger mold and excessive cost, rather than using a smaller, less cost-prohibitive model. Much as I want to invest in Project Fred that $300 can be invested in other, more established artists, whose molds are valued around $200-$300 and far more unique. Or, I can take $300 and use that to purchase several other Funkos of my choice. Overall, Project Fred feels like a Kickstarter to test the water, especially with EQL.

One of the best explanations I read so far.

anime23

Postby anime23 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:46 pm

rexflexall wrote:Of course when a company gets bigger they gonna reuse molds to try to get the most out of em, happens to all big toy companies!

I had to stop collecting some because of this. If they keep making several of the same I will never finish the collection. Of course I was a sucker and first started with storm troopers because how many of them could they possibly make ... enter Disney. ](*,)
Would you believe I just found the signature block? My name is Kimberly check out my foodagram @imonehungrynerd or nerdy stuff @thenerdelement

Image Image

Alanamaslama

Postby Alanamaslama » Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:31 am

anime23 wrote:
rexflexall wrote:Of course when a company gets bigger they gonna reuse molds to try to get the most out of em, happens to all big toy companies!

I had to stop collecting some because of this. If they keep making several of the same I will never finish the collection. Of course I was a sucker and first started with storm troopers because how many of them could they possibly make ... enter Disney. ](*,)

It’s almost the anti-FOMO. I used to impulsively buy because of FOMO, but the last few years i trained myself to think, “just wait for the better mold or shinier exclusive variant”. I started buying less and less and lost interest in pops I would have otherwise purchased impulsively.
Hey, I’m Alan!

Events checked off:

Funko Fundays 2017, FunKon 2021
SDCC 1999, 2017-2019, 2022, 2023
WonderCon 2019
Comic Con Revolution Ontario 2017, 2018, 2023
Los Angeles Comic Con 2016, 2018, 2019

Ginzo1622

Postby Ginzo1622 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:23 am

Alanamaslama wrote:
anime23 wrote:

It’s almost the anti-FOMO. I used to impulsively buy because of FOMO, but the last few years i trained myself to think, “just wait for the better mold or shinier exclusive variant”. I started buying less and less and lost interest in pops I would have otherwise purchased impulsively.

Yeah people learn this eventually
Fundays 2022 - Proto Robots
Fright Night 2022

Don't stand in my way!!!

:whdat:

zonkttc

Postby zonkttc » Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:49 am

Ginzo1622 wrote:
Alanamaslama wrote:
anime23 wrote:

Sadly it comes with experience but I'm glad we're able to teach those around us.

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:16 am

zonkttc wrote:
Ginzo1622 wrote:
Alanamaslama wrote:

Sadly it comes with experience but I'm glad we're able to teach those around us.

This is true
ImageImageImage

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:29 am

The price on that new Fred mold is just out of budget for me!

PopPChulo

Postby PopPChulo » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:42 am

rexflexall wrote:

Tbh it seems like that new project Fred is designed to be a center piece of a collection. Not necessarily something where you would have a whole collection of just those but maybe if you have a DC themed collection, or Ad Icon themed collection or Marvel themed collection; that would essentially be the centerpiece. I guess if I really really wanted the character I’d go for it but me personally, I think I’ll opt to stick with con exclusives and nft drops for my limited fix
PopPChulo

Funko Enthusiast/Creative Idea Expert/Music Analyst/Pop Culture Geek :freddy3:

"Creativity is all around you.. How you chose to use that creativity is at your disgression" - Pop-P Chulo

LoneWolf72

Postby LoneWolf72 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:49 am

Missnoobcake3 wrote:

So true, i've noticed myself just focusing on stuff i truly want. Mike doesn't get enough credit that man works so hard for the fans. One of the main reasons i believe Funko still has a semi social presence sadly.

What Mike does for the Funatics, is what made me a fan of Funko in the first place. In 2015, my wife invited me to Fundays with her. Up until then, our Funko collection was strictly her thing. I was just the enabler. But after going that year, and seeing first hand what Mike does for the Funko family, he made me a fan. And also a collector myself.
Image Image
Collecting since 2013
Fright Night San Diego
Funko HQ Grand Opening

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:57 am

PopPChulo wrote:
rexflexall wrote:

Tbh it seems like that new project Fred is designed to be a center piece of a collection. Not necessarily something where you would have a whole collection of just those but maybe if you have a DC themed collection, or Ad Icon themed collection or Marvel themed collection; that would essentially be the centerpiece. I guess if I really really wanted the character I’d go for it but me personally, I think I’ll opt to stick with con exclusives and nft drops for my limited fix

I'll stay with my limited Mega Dorbz SDCC Captain America LOL!

jedividkidd

Postby jedividkidd » Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:28 pm

I've been collecting Funko Products since they started making Star Wars Wacky Wobblers in 2006 I believe. As they grew they definitely started mass producing stuff. That was expected though. But i do miss the limited edition and lower number stuff though.
Funko Events I've attended
"Making Fun - The Story of Funko" World Premiere!
Funko Fundays - 2012-2013-2014-2016
Funko Hollywood Grand Opening
Some favorite items:
Super Showgun Boba Fett Prototype & ROTJ
SDCC 2014 POP! Freddy Funko Boba Fett
Celebration Europe 2013 POP! Boba Fett (Droids)
Wacky Wobbler Bobble Banks Freddy Funko (Boba Fett) PROTOTYPE
b]Major Cons attended:[/b]
SDCC 2016-2018, 2024
LACC 2013,2016-2019,2021

PopPChulo

Postby PopPChulo » Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:45 pm

rexflexall wrote:
PopPChulo wrote:
rexflexall wrote:

I'll stay with my limited Mega Dorbz SDCC Captain America LOL!

Lol I just like my items to be limited. Thats a preference though. I feel like you should always collect what you like - I just have a certain affinity for items that not everyone can get their hands on. Makes them feel more collectible to me
PopPChulo

Funko Enthusiast/Creative Idea Expert/Music Analyst/Pop Culture Geek :freddy3:

"Creativity is all around you.. How you chose to use that creativity is at your disgression" - Pop-P Chulo

Funkolotz1622

Postby Funkolotz1622 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:18 pm

jedividkidd wrote:I've been collecting Funko Products since they started making Star Wars Wacky Wobblers in 2006 I believe. As they grew they definitely started mass producing stuff. That was expected though. But i do miss the limited edition and lower number stuff though.

They still have rare pieces though but it so rare that you can only get it in the event.
Fright Night 2022

funkomarv96

Postby funkomarv96 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:40 pm

Used to see a bunch of pops at barnes and noble. For the longest they had them on clearance and couldn’t get rid of them. I wonder what happens to the ones that don’t sell

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:52 pm

funkomarv96 wrote:Used to see a bunch of pops at barnes and noble. For the longest they had them on clearance and couldn’t get rid of them. I wonder what happens to the ones that don’t sell

Probably dumped or sent to dollar stores
ImageImageImage

funkomarv96

Postby funkomarv96 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:36 am

hpellot wrote:
funkomarv96 wrote:Used to see a bunch of pops at barnes and noble. For the longest they had them on clearance and couldn’t get rid of them. I wonder what happens to the ones that don’t sell

Take a trip to the local landfill to see if they’re there. I’m in nyc and we don’t really have dollar stores

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:00 pm

funkomarv96 wrote:
hpellot wrote:

Take a trip to the local landfill to see if they’re there. I’m in nyc and we don’t really have dollar stores

Marshal and tj max as well
ImageImageImage

Meowmix4

Postby Meowmix4 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:26 pm

I've definitely cut back on collecting. Most of the things I want are older sets. I usually stick to picking up exclusives/Convention pops now.

Funko Ronin

Postby Funko Ronin » Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:50 pm

Meowmix4 wrote:I've definitely cut back on collecting. Most of the things I want are older sets. I usually stick to picking up exclusives/Convention pops now.

Many more collectors are taking the same mindset of cutting back.

Relinquish

Postby Relinquish » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:47 pm

i think funko struggles with being a scaled publicly traded company that is trying to wholesale mass produced collectibles and turn a profit. they'd be more successful in general if they were probably smaller/not publicly traded

Chingy

Postby Chingy » Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:06 pm

PopPChulo wrote:
rexflexall wrote:

I agree with this. I don't think Project Fred is meant to be a "new release every week" type of thing. It's meant to be the gem of a collection. I'm really into it and can't wait to see what else the line produces, but I understand people's trepidation.

TonyMa

Postby TonyMa » Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:21 pm

PopLoot wrote:Definitely some products more than others. What surprises me is Vaulted pops making there way back into the market. I guess it is good for new collectors that may have missed the initial release.

Yeah I agree

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:28 pm

Relinquish wrote:i think funko struggles with being a scaled publicly traded company that is trying to wholesale mass produced collectibles and turn a profit. they'd be more successful in general if they were probably smaller/not publicly traded

I ageee
ImageImageImage

conventiongeek

Postby conventiongeek » Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:21 pm

Yes, pretty much over produced. Need to find more balance between commons and limited editions... The LE figures make collecting more fun.

Biscuithead Jen

Postby Biscuithead Jen » Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:57 pm

conventiongeek wrote:Yes, pretty much over produced. Need to find more balance between commons and limited editions... The LE figures make collecting more fun.

I agree. The smaller piece counts really made it exciting to collect. I'm hoping they start to scale back a bit and make more exclusive items.

Funkolotz1622

Postby Funkolotz1622 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:31 pm

Biscuithead Jen wrote:
conventiongeek wrote:Yes, pretty much over produced. Need to find more balance between commons and limited editions... The LE figures make collecting more fun.

I agree. The smaller piece counts really made it exciting to collect. I'm hoping they start to scale back a bit and make more exclusive items.

There are a lot of exclusives, I think they should start to limit mold and variant per character.
Fright Night 2022

Meowmix4

Postby Meowmix4 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:23 pm

Funko Ronin wrote:
Meowmix4 wrote:I've definitely cut back on collecting. Most of the things I want are older sets. I usually stick to picking up exclusives/Convention pops now.

Many more collectors are taking the same mindset of cutting back.

Yeah I can definitely tell.

Seems like a lot of the NFT's which are supposed to be very limited arent selling out either

Kwik_One

Postby Kwik_One » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:30 pm

Biscuithead Jen wrote:

Unfortunately, I think those days are behind us. I feel we will get the occasional lower piece counts 1000 or more at cons and the lower ones at special events like Fundays or Fright Night or even NFTs.

A really interesting thing they could try out would be an open edition. Allow collectors to preorder for a certain period of time then production of what was ordered ONLY (as long as a certain threshold is met).

Dsho333

Postby Dsho333 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:35 pm

Kwik_One wrote:
Biscuithead Jen wrote:

Unfortunately, I think those days are behind us. I feel we will get the occasional lower piece counts 1000 or more at cons and the lower ones at special events like Fundays or Fright Night or even NFTs.

A really interesting thing they could try out would be an open edition. Allow collectors to preorder for a certain period of time then production of what was ordered ONLY (as long as a certain threshold is met).

The preorder method has floated around for awhile now and I've suggested it too since I think it would help out but I also miss out on hunting in stores. They did the preorders for the Jason kelce pop so we will see how that works out if there is leftovers after they are sent out.

WayneNC704

Postby WayneNC704 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:04 pm

It’s great to see how Funko as grown I just items were more limited in stores I loved the hunt back in the day

DrunkoPop

Postby DrunkoPop » Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:34 am

WayneNC704 wrote:It’s great to see how Funko as grown I just items were more limited in stores I loved the hunt back in the day

So did I. After the pandemic the hunt died out for me. It became easier to acquire chases and limited pops online rather than in person. If I need something that I can’t find online, I’ll rely on the cons I go to. That’s pretty much it. :dontknow:
Image Image
ImageImage

Return to “Pop!”