Keeping the hobby healthy: spouse edition.

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
Goatedfunko

Keeping the hobby healthy: spouse edition.

Postby Goatedfunko » Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:24 am

Just wondering how people have smoothed over collections getting bigger and the spouse starting to question the hobby.

I, 40 years young and loving life, have a collection that’s grown beyond my storage space and the wife has stated to make little comments. Nothing bad or anti funko but I do feel I need to change something in order to keep things nice and smooth. I’ve started putting them in my closet instead of on display in my game room. Anyone else have some tips on the matter that has a spouse that’s not into funko?
Central California Crew (of one :freddy3: )
The nurse!

SDCC: 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
NYCC: 2022
Fundays: TBD

zonkttc

Re: Keeping the hobby healthy: spouse edition.

Postby zonkttc » Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:04 pm

This is something my gurl and I speak about in regards to our expectations and what's fair. We can't tell you whats right for you guys but best advice is to talk it out. Sacrifice is an option but thats a decision that you two will have to make

Oatmealman

Postby Oatmealman » Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:10 pm

All the time! We don't have an extra room or sweet basement like some I know. I've tried to focus my collection on a couple lines, and then pick up the occasional pieces that I like. My wife just doesn't want other areas to be cluttered with boxes, tupperware, or loose stuff. As long as I can keep the common areas tidy, and collection doesn't get out of control with "investment pieces" she's good! I would just have some open communication with your spouse :D
Matt
IG Oatmealman2287

Vinyl4Blood

Postby Vinyl4Blood » Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:16 pm

hahaha... well, ya... sooo... are we just talking about my oversized Funko collection, or my Lego, Pins, Hot Toys Iron Man (men?) sounds odd, Resin Pieces, tools, socks, and trains?

Because ya... conversations have been had on all of the above. Luckily, she has been very patient and supportive of my hobbies/collections.
-They call me... Wes (AKA ScrappyMosier on Twitter & Vinyl4Blood on IG)
"OMG.. I need that"
Pop Grail wish list: Freddy Stark Pop and Comic Con 2009 "Big Fred" wobbler, Camp Fundays Freddy as Spartan. Any condition.

Mr Yac

Postby Mr Yac » Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:20 pm

The best thing I’ve found is to introduce my wife to my other collector friends, when she sees how insane they can get with their buying it puts my collection into perspective :roflmao:

Vinyl4Blood

Postby Vinyl4Blood » Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:11 pm

Mr Yac wrote:The best thing I’ve found is to introduce my wife to my other collector friends, when she sees how insane they can get with their buying it puts my collection into perspective :roflmao:

haha... might back-fire though.... she may look at their collection and go... "I see where this is leading... I've got to stop you now before it's too late" :roflmao:
-They call me... Wes (AKA ScrappyMosier on Twitter & Vinyl4Blood on IG)
"OMG.. I need that"
Pop Grail wish list: Freddy Stark Pop and Comic Con 2009 "Big Fred" wobbler, Camp Fundays Freddy as Spartan. Any condition.

FunkoEmu

Postby FunkoEmu » Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:29 pm

I'm lucky enough to have a room to keep mine in, but that doesn't stop my wife from questioning it. haha

But like others have said, there is no answer that applies to everyone. Hopefully you can set your own expectation and figure out some lines you can cut back on. Best of luck on navigating this!
ImageImage
SDCC: 2023, 2024
DragonCon: 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
NYCC: 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024

CaseyJones14
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY

Postby CaseyJones14 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:31 pm

I get the basement and my wife has a dedicated bedroom to purses/jewelry. We don’t have kids so the wife doesn’t mind my collection especially since I keep it so clean/organized.
Brett - caseyj0nes14 on Instagram
ISO - Dorbz and McNugget Protos!

Oatmealman

Postby Oatmealman » Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:04 pm

Mr Yac wrote:The best thing I’ve found is to introduce my wife to my other collector friends, when she sees how insane they can get with their buying it puts my collection into perspective :roflmao:

I like it LOL. Give her something crazy to compare it to and then she realizes you don't actually have that much and she should be relieved. =D>
Matt
IG Oatmealman2287

cptsailor

Postby cptsailor » Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:33 pm

As long as my stuff stays in the basement, she doesn't mind! Her collectibles go in her office... mostly lol
Hi, I'm Dillon!

IG: cptsailor

zaghawk
HoF 2020 & CotM
HoF 2020 & CotM

Postby zaghawk » Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:38 pm

Goatedfunko wrote:Just wondering how people have smoothed over collections getting bigger and the spouse starting to question the hobby.

I, 40 years young and loving life, have a collection that’s grown beyond my storage space and the wife has stated to make little comments. Nothing bad or anti funko but I do feel I need to change something in order to keep things nice and smooth. I’ve started putting them in my closet instead of on display in my game room. Anyone else have some tips on the matter that has a spouse that’s not into funko?

Communicate with your wife and come up with a compromise and moving forward plan regarding your hobby, it's investment of time, emotion, energy and finances. Or more so communicate to see what else is REALLY going on that is preventing your marriage from being "nice and smooth".

I am also 40....I don't have a spouse anymore. Comments were made about my Funko collecting and similar hobbies in the past. Take my advice for what it's worth.
Gavin

FunKlub # 14297

jagpop

Postby jagpop » Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:00 pm

For me it's the opposite. Twice a year I go through all my stuff in storage and select some to downsize my collection. I tell the wifey of my plan to downsize and she always questions me "why are you downsizing?" It's nice to have that support and my collection isn't out of hand, but I do feel like I need to get it down to a more manageable size.

I am not in danger, I am the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!

Fugly16

Postby Fugly16 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:27 pm

Goatedfunko wrote:Just wondering how people have smoothed over collections getting bigger and the spouse starting to question the hobby.

I'm in the same boat essentially. Consolidate or don't buy anymore. It's boiled down to that for me as I have zero room to display any more.

singerjared21

Postby singerjared21 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:05 pm

Gotta get another secret storage unit! Lol

Funkolotz1622

Postby Funkolotz1622 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:49 pm

singerjared21 wrote:

Try to dig a whole in your house and put everything there lol
Fundays 2022 - Black Light Proto Robos
Fright Night 2022
Fundays 2023 - Protomoa Wolves

Ohlordypops

Postby Ohlordypops » Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:22 pm

CaseyJones14 wrote:I get the basement and my wife has a dedicated bedroom to purses/jewelry. We don’t have kids so the wife doesn’t mind my collection especially since I keep it so clean/organized.

Your basement looks amazing!!!
Hi! It's Lauren
IG & Twitter: Ohlordypops
Follow me on Instagram: @ohlordypops

Ohlordypops

Postby Ohlordypops » Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:28 pm

I would definitely have a conversation about it. When my husband started collecting it wasn't too noticeable since he kept most of them at work. When covid happened and the collection started to grow at home (as our kids and I started buying some for him as well), we had a budget talk and I think that really helped. Of course then I started collecting so I couldn't really say anything haha. Storage becomes a problem so we downsized some pops and tried to focus on lines and other collectibles that we really loved and could fit into our respective displays.
Hi! It's Lauren
IG & Twitter: Ohlordypops
Follow me on Instagram: @ohlordypops

Goatedfunko

Postby Goatedfunko » Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:56 pm

zonkttc wrote:This is something my gurl and I speak about in regards to our expectations and what's fair. We can't tell you whats right for you guys but best advice is to talk it out. Sacrifice is an option but thats a decision that you two will have to make

Luckily my wife is open minded about the topic. We have talked about relocating some and keeping the ones that mean the most for display.
The nurse!

Goatedfunko

Postby Goatedfunko » Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:58 pm

Vinyl4Blood wrote:hahaha... well, ya... sooo... are we just talking about my oversized Funko collection, or my Lego, Pins, Hot Toys Iron Man (men?) sounds odd, Resin Pieces, tools, socks, and trains?

Because ya... conversations have been had on all of the above. Luckily, she has been very patient and supportive of my hobbies/collections.

Haha yea you should see my NES collection. Man I need that under control probably first. ](*,)
The nurse!

Goatedfunko

Postby Goatedfunko » Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:00 pm

singerjared21 wrote:

Haha yea I should have kept my old house. I had my fam of three and 6 bedrooms… oh well
The nurse!

Funkognome

Postby Funkognome » Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:40 pm

Easy. Get her collecting and obsessed too. Then she never complains haha

Webslinger

Postby Webslinger » Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:13 am

As others have said, communication is key. It helps that Funko does produce a wide variety of things, something for everyone.

Image Image

Fugly16

Postby Fugly16 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:46 pm

Ohlordypops wrote:
CaseyJones14 wrote:I get the basement and my wife has a dedicated bedroom to purses/jewelry. We don’t have kids so the wife doesn’t mind my collection especially since I keep it so clean/organized.

Your basement looks amazing!!!

Definitely an S tier basement

Tusken

Postby Tusken » Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:45 am

I think they spread the love with the characters but it also hurts as some of the lines don't sell. Putting them in 5 and below (and other places) helps spread the brand for sure. I'm trying to stick with DC and not go too far out as there are so many great pops out there. :freddy3:
Hi I'm Tusken.
Top Fan Badge of Funko, Funko Europe, Funko (Hollywood), Funko Games, Funko Blitz
Funko Winner of Danger Mouse 2021 - Twitter
Image Image Image Image

DrunkoPop

Postby DrunkoPop » Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:52 am

Haha. Good point.
Image Image
ImageImage

Goatedfunko

Postby Goatedfunko » Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:06 pm

Tusken wrote:I think they spread the love with the characters but it also hurts as some of the lines don't sell. Putting them in 5 and below (and other places) helps spread the brand for sure. I'm trying to stick with DC and not go too far out as there are so many great pops out there. :freddy3:

Yea it’s a bummer seeing them at five below for retaining value. Kind of wish funko would make funkos more collectible. Maybe numbered with a solid system in place to prevent fakes. I wish they numbered the chases and they all had a code to them to prevent fakes but it’s just a dream.
The nurse!

zonkttc

Postby zonkttc » Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:54 pm

Webslinger wrote:As others have said, communication is key. It helps that Funko does produce a wide variety of things, something for everyone.

Communication is the answer. :bounce: :compress:

sxrgio115

Postby sxrgio115 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:28 am

Tell me about it, I constantly get told about how much I would make if I sold it all, but the hobby is the hobby. We’re in too deep!
- Bleach Proto Collector
- Funko Events on Top!
- Anime Fanatic
Wondercon 2023, SDCC 2023, Fright Night 2022, Killer Klowns!!

:whdat:

keyese

Postby keyese » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:18 am

We get around it by collecting together :) but there have been times where I thought we'd skip a line but my husband wants it so we end up with everything lol
AKA ElizabethKeyes on Twitch or keyese on Discord :freddy2:
ISO Mystery Minis!
Lord of the Rings: Eowyn (HT) and Lurtz (HT)
Avengers Endgame: 1/72 Hulk, 1/72 Hawkeye, 1/24 Black Widow (all Walmart exclusives)

zonkttc

Postby zonkttc » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:27 am

sxrgio115 wrote:Tell me about it, I constantly get told about how much I would make if I sold it all, but the hobby is the hobby. We’re in too deep!

"We signed the contract we sold our voices already" is the line my girl gives me at times to joke how into collecting we are in

Wiselordship

Postby Wiselordship » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:27 am

kihou wrote:We get around it by collecting together :) but there have been times where I thought we'd skip a line but my husband wants it so we end up with everything lol

There is always that one mold that makes you go "Well dang, got to have it" and then it goes into "and it needs a friend" and you end up doing that trend reel for the set. lol

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:23 am

Spouse collects some with me too, both our offices are full of stuff!

Serch_na

Postby Serch_na » Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:38 am

Being with a collector is not easy, but I believe if your priorities are in order and there is a consensus about the space it should just be a one-time discussion.
NYCC 2022
Deadpool - Photography - Mexican

Elviax

Postby Elviax » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:46 am

rexflexall wrote:Spouse collects some with me too, both our offices are full of stuff!

Same here! Def helps a bit + we like mostly the same stuff!
Anime/Pokemon Collector

sxrgio115

Postby sxrgio115 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:52 pm

zonkttc wrote:
sxrgio115 wrote:Tell me about it, I constantly get told about how much I would make if I sold it all, but the hobby is the hobby. We’re in too deep!

"We signed the contract we sold our voices already" is the line my girl gives me at times to joke how into collecting we are in

At this point, we need a more space, forget the furniture!
- Bleach Proto Collector
- Funko Events on Top!
- Anime Fanatic
Wondercon 2023, SDCC 2023, Fright Night 2022, Killer Klowns!!

:whdat:

mcmfma

Postby mcmfma » Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:04 am

i gave my SO his favorite character and he started collecting also…

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:42 am

Elviax wrote:
rexflexall wrote:Spouse collects some with me too, both our offices are full of stuff!

Same here! Def helps a bit + we like mostly the same stuff!

Wife is into Marvel and Sanrio!

plumb102

Postby plumb102 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:30 am

My husband isn't a collector, only of MTG, so the Pops have kinda taken over.. hahahah :compress:
SDCC 1996-current - Wondercon 2012-current - LACC 2021-current - ECCC '22 - Niagara Falls Con '22 - Designer Con '23
FunKon Hollywood '21 - Pasadena Con 2023-current - FunKon 2 HQ '22 - WonderCon Beach Bash '22 - Funkoville SDCC '22 & '23 -
WonderCon Fun House '23 - Back to the Beginning: Bob's Big Boy Meetup '24 - Comic-Con Revolution '24

zonkttc

Postby zonkttc » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:32 am

plumb102 wrote:My husband isn't a collector, only of MTG, so the Pops have kinda taken over.. hahahah :compress:

My gurl call each other addiction buddies

Return to “Pop!”