College Athlete Funko Pops???

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
kmandude92

College Athlete Funko Pops???

Postby kmandude92 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:33 pm

There are plenty of athletes who are already enshrined with Funko Pop status, but how cool would it be to have athletes representing their colleges in Pop form??? As a huge USC fan, I'd love to have Funko Pops of my favorite players repping their schools (Troy Polamalu, DeMar Derozan, Reggie Bush, etc.). Even current players might be able to do it as part of an NIL deal with Funko.

Any chance Funko could license with the schools and the players to get this done? I love that we have mascots, so let's keep it going and get the players, too!
Stay Lit, Y'all :-({|=
ISO:
Ezio 21 (looking for all versions - grey outfit, black outfit, blue outfit)
Logan 28 (Box Only - I have the non-bobblehead Pop itself)
Peter Parker 34 (Box Only - I have the Pop itself)
God Loki

ghost_yamasaki

Re: College Athlete Funko Pops???

Postby ghost_yamasaki » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:44 pm

Man a Reggie bush with the reinstated Heisman would be sick
ImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImage

ISO: Con LE Exclusives | All Freddys | Iron Maiden Protos | Always trading, so PM me |

IG: @cometlodgecollectibles | aka: asianlukecage

renardchua
Collector Of The Year
Collector Of The Year

Postby renardchua » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:41 pm

kmandude92 wrote:There are plenty of athletes who are already enshrined with Funko Pop status, but how cool would it be to have athletes representing their colleges in Pop form??? As a huge USC fan, I'd love to have Funko Pops of my favorite players repping their schools (Troy Polamalu, DeMar Derozan, Reggie Bush, etc.). Even current players might be able to do it as part of an NIL deal with Funko.

Any chance Funko could license with the schools and the players to get this done? I love that we have mascots, so let's keep it going and get the players, too!

Individual players will be tougher to get agreements to as you need sign-offs per player - and would be a hard sell as it will become very niche.

For the big leagues like the NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL as licenses and agreements are done through the player’s association.
Hi, I’m Renard. :freddy3:
Instagram: @renardchua

Jalapenopete

Postby Jalapenopete » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:48 am

kmandude92 wrote:There are plenty of athletes who are already enshrined with Funko Pop status, but how cool would it be to have athletes representing their colleges in Pop form??? As a huge USC fan, I'd love to have Funko Pops of my favorite players repping their schools (Troy Polamalu, DeMar Derozan, Reggie Bush, etc.). Even current players might be able to do it as part of an NIL deal with Funko.

Would love to see Heisman line, it be fun to see the college athletes like Caitlin Clark or Zach eddy, I would like to see fab five from Michigan that be awesome with baggy shorts
:freddy3:

ghost_yamasaki

Postby ghost_yamasaki » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:05 am

renardchua wrote:

Individual players will be tougher to get agreements to as you need sign-offs per player - and would be a hard sell as it will become very niche.

For the big leagues like the NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL as licenses and agreements are done through the player’s association.

Oh, interesting!

ISO: Con LE Exclusives | All Freddys | Iron Maiden Protos | Always trading, so PM me |

ghost_yamasaki

Postby ghost_yamasaki » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:06 am

Jalapenopete wrote:

Would love to see Heisman line, it be fun to see the college athletes like Caitlin Clark or Zach eddy, I would like to see fab five from Michigan that be awesome with baggy shorts

Yo! Fab Five would be wild.

LakerSpartan117

Postby LakerSpartan117 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:12 am

As long as those athletes that are still in college get some sort of compensation since their schools don't even pay them, I'd be down for that! Getting college mascots was enough for me, although my school never got one (Go Aztecs, baby!)

But yeah I get the feeling there is a lot of red tape that Funko would have to navigate through in order to get that done
ImageImageImageImageImage

renardchua
Collector Of The Year
Collector Of The Year

Postby renardchua » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:18 am

LakerSpartan117 wrote:As long as those athletes that are still in college get some sort of compensation since their schools don't even pay them, I'd be down for that! Getting college mascots was enough for me, although my school never got one (Go Aztecs, baby!)

But yeah I get the feeling there is a lot of red tape that Funko would have to navigate through in order to get that done

You are from SDSU? Not sure if you seen it, but Funko did release a generic basketball player in Aztecs gear!

See picture below (from the interwebs):

Hi, I’m Renard. :freddy3:
Instagram: @renardchua

Markn12

Postby Markn12 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:03 pm

NIL deals for this, plus more college mascots please!

LakerSpartan117

Postby LakerSpartan117 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:05 pm

renardchua wrote:
LakerSpartan117 wrote:As long as those athletes that are still in college get some sort of compensation since their schools don't even pay them, I'd be down for that! Getting college mascots was enough for me, although my school never got one (Go Aztecs, baby!)

You are from SDSU? Not sure if you seen it, but Funko did release a generic basketball player in Aztecs gear!

No way! Yeah I'm Class of 2019'

I had no idea this was a thing? After doing some research it was an exclusive Pop given away during Brian's speaker event at SDSU a couple years back. Super limited.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Fnava87

Postby Fnava87 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:04 pm

renardchua wrote:

Did they ever release that one?

kmandude92

Postby kmandude92 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:47 pm

renardchua wrote:

I know it's easier getting the player's association license, but we're seeing EA go through this kind of individual process for current players to be in the College Football 2025 video game so it's not completely impossible. Whatever gets me closer to a Reggie Bush Funko Pop is all I'm looking for lol
Stay Lit, Y'all :-({|=
ISO:
Ezio 21 (looking for all versions - grey outfit, black outfit, blue outfit)
Logan 28 (Box Only - I have the non-bobblehead Pop itself)
Peter Parker 34 (Box Only - I have the Pop itself)
God Loki

DJR

Postby DJR » Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:06 pm

Some great ones out there for sure, but how many are truly remembered for their College careers vs what they did at pros. I know we can rattle them off, but just saying in the grander scheme of things. Plus whats the market. I'd LOVE to see like a Michael Irvin back in The U colors... but what would the market for that be?

sealordbrian

Postby sealordbrian » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:33 am

As someone who'd be totally onboard with this, I have to agree with many that the logistics of pulling this off would be hard.

ghost_yamasaki

Postby ghost_yamasaki » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:00 am

I want a colt Brennan pop.

LegendOfAsgard

Postby LegendOfAsgard » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:34 am

Especially with the NIL landscape these days, it would be cool to see some college athletes in the spotlight or even some coaches from big programs.

funkomarv96

Postby funkomarv96 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:22 am

I feel like the people who would chase those will be the ones who are die hard fans of the teams

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:08 pm

LegendOfAsgard wrote:Especially with the NIL landscape these days, it would be cool to see some college athletes in the spotlight or even some coaches from big programs.

I agree with NIL I think we will see a ton of merch from companies
ImageImageImage

Some people call me the orange hoodie

ISO funko Force creature from black lagoon chase Glow in the dark

Ragnar_7

Postby Ragnar_7 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:55 pm

If they make a Benny the bull pop, that would be awesome

Gsanch28

Postby Gsanch28 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:58 pm

I’m a CSU Fresno alumni and would love to have a pop with the mascot. But those guys don’t like licensing anything lol. It would be pretty awesome though.
:freddy1: " I don't know anything with certainty, but seeing the stars makes me dream"

Return to “Pop!”