False Prototypes

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
SonicFan1987

Re: False Prototypes

Postby SonicFan1987 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:49 am

Chuckles00012 wrote:
Squird wrote:
Chingy wrote:
Because one of, if not the most, alluring factor of Fundays was that everyone got a proto. It was (in my opinion) the single biggest item people went to the event for. It was an event within an event to get them. They made a spectacle of it and everyone talked about what was given out. It was a big deal and the crown jewel giveaway of the night. And they didn't give them out this past Fundays. Just seems like it's something that they're not going to bring back once they've already severed the tradition.

Some of us go to get rowdy with our friends. I've been fortunate to go several years in a row. Usually sit with or near the same people year after year.

Protos are nice.

Freddy's are nice.

But one of the guys at our table touched Corey Feldman last year. As far as I know, still hasn't washed that hand. How do you top that?

My wife went nuts over touching AJ from the Backstreet Boys at Camp Fundays. She says she can now die happy.

Good thing she didn't touch Corey, she may have got a contact high lol

SonicFan1987

Postby SonicFan1987 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:49 am

dr-FOMO wrote:
Squird wrote:
Chingy wrote:
Because one of, if not the most, alluring factor of Fundays was that everyone got a proto. It was (in my opinion) the single biggest item people went to the event for. It was an event within an event to get them. They made a spectacle of it and everyone talked about what was given out. It was a big deal and the crown jewel giveaway of the night. And they didn't give them out this past Fundays. Just seems like it's something that they're not going to bring back once they've already severed the tradition.

Some of us go to get rowdy with our friends. I've been fortunate to go several years in a row. Usually sit with or near the same people year after year.

Protos are nice.

Freddy's are nice.

But one of the guys at our table touched Corey Feldman last year. As far as I know, still hasn't washed that hand. How do you top that?

With disinfectant lol

I don't think there is enough haha

Chuckles00012

Postby Chuckles00012 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:38 am

SonicFan1987 wrote:
dr-FOMO wrote:
Squird wrote:

Protos are nice.

Freddy's are nice.

With disinfectant lol

I don't think there is enough haha

Lol. Very true!

Postby Moderator » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:26 pm

stay on topic please, folks.
We are watching
"Contact us" is now working, send us an email at funaticmods@gmail.com

MPF223

Postby MPF223 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:18 pm

Chenzo157 wrote:I've been seeing people in groups sadly get scammed buying fakes. I'm not an expert like others but I always try to share the knowledge I've gained from groups and friends to newer collectors so they don't lose a single dollar

As a proto collector it pains me to hear of people getting scammed out of money always spread awareness and help those around you to avoid it at the end of the day were all in this together for the same reason

nostaljay

Postby nostaljay » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:10 pm

I feel like itll be really easy to differentiate between the 3d printed ones and the "legit" ones, just because of how 3d printed products look at the end of the day.
ImageImage
#TEAMPROTOROBOS #TEAMFUNAMUCK BEARS

ShellyGt86

Postby ShellyGt86 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:58 pm

Great thanks for the in-depth responses. I’ve always wondered on eBay or others how do you protect yourself from buying fakes. I’ve seen so many I wanted, but nervous about pulling the trigger. Much appreciated.
To live will be a great Adventure... :grommit:Image]

Image[/url]

The Bleach Fan

Postby The Bleach Fan » Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:40 pm

Fundays goal from the event planners standpoint should always be how can I make this event Epic every year. The opportunity of attaining a Proto is a part of what makes Fundays an Epic Event. Hopefully the powers that be see that and make sure protos are present. It is hard enough for the regular person to get tickets and proto add the special feeling to the evening. Viva la Protos, lol

Suprmike6

Postby Suprmike6 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:46 pm

I've only ever seen Protos at Funko events, Fundays or at the Hollywood location events. Since they give them out I'm not sure how you'd prove they're real. The one I got from Fundays was awesome

cardfan76

Postby cardfan76 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:47 pm

Been a member for a bit, but haven't posted in a long time.

I received a proto from here awhile back from a contest or something. I sadly got rid of all the info that came from it and must've deleted all my messages.

Is there a way I can tell if my proto is legit? I mean I know it is, but is there a way of identifying it.

Chuckles00012

Postby Chuckles00012 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:32 pm

MPF223 wrote:
Chenzo157 wrote:I've been seeing people in groups sadly get scammed buying fakes. I'm not an expert like others but I always try to share the knowledge I've gained from groups and friends to newer collectors so they don't lose a single dollar

As a proto collector it pains me to hear of people getting scammed out of money always spread awareness and help those around you to avoid it at the end of the day were all in this together for the same reason

This is one reason I love this forum. Spreading knowledge about protos and distribution of said protos helps to combat fakes. Thanks for all the info you give.

MPF223

Postby MPF223 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:42 pm

Suprmike6 wrote:I've only ever seen Protos at Funko events, Fundays or at the Hollywood location events. Since they give them out I'm not sure how you'd prove they're real. The one I got from Fundays was awesome

Taking pictures or videos of you getting it at the event def helps

FunCo010

Postby FunCo010 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:06 pm

Marvel_Mama wrote:For real!! after waiting that long in line. Gotta hide a burrito in my bag next time.

I think you need to hide it for fellow attendees, and not for the sucurity guys. People will rob you when they see good food haha
PLEASE FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM: FUNCO010

Grogu

Postby Grogu » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:47 pm

The 3 Protos I have came from events and I made sure to take a picture of them when I got them as proof but that's just me. I've heard of people getting scammed on replicas of protos that were resin printed though which really sucks.
SDCC: 2010 - 2023
Wondercon: 2016 - 2023

Nexus413

Postby Nexus413 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:35 pm

Is there any way to definitively tell a real proto from a fake besides photo proof of event?

Heyitsallwin

Postby Heyitsallwin » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:41 pm

Nexus413 wrote:Is there any way to definitively tell a real proto from a fake besides photo proof of event?

There are some scrappers that are more distinct than others, however, lineage is primary key when it comes to the legitimacy of protos (e.g. photo of event, ticket, etc.)
SDCC Funday 2023

lilbologna

Postby lilbologna » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:48 pm

I was just thinking of what else they have made this year that they would have protos of, and I'm sure this isn't how it works, but how funny would it be to get a proto of someone's Pop! Yourself pop lol just some random guy proto, so funny
:freddy1:
ImageImageImage

xbloz951

Postby xbloz951 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:53 pm

Proof of lineage yall! Glad I was able to get a proto and took videos of the event. Pokemon proto for the win!

zonkttc

Postby zonkttc » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:03 pm

xbloz951 wrote:Proof of lineage yall! Glad I was able to get a proto and took videos of the event. Pokemon proto for the win!

Congrats on the score n I agree to get the lineage

Return to “Pop!”