False Prototypes

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
Marvel_Mama

Re: False Prototypes

Postby Marvel_Mama » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:40 pm

DJR wrote:
Marvel_Mama wrote:
SonicFan1987 wrote:Hi DJR, welcome to the boards. From my understanding prototypes are the first "pulls" they do of a mold without all the color that you would see in a finished pop. Usually they are all one color or two tone and among certain collectors very popular. Go check out eBay for some ideas, there are also Facebook groups dedicated to auctions for them. If I'm off base this IS the internet and there is no faster way to get a response than when you are slightly wrong about something XD

The prototype is the first thing made for Funko to approve the mold. There is an average 2-3 white and 5-6 color produced but that also varies greatly. Funko gives out at events or contests etc. 90% of ebay sales are scrappers which are pulled of the production line at the factory and are not prototypes. The protos are sent to Funko directly and Funko gives those out to a couple stores and mostly events. Always ask questions, thats how we all learn this process and how to not buy scrappers. They are a very cool piece of Funko history for sure. Funko Protos 101 on facebook has a lot of older collectors with a lot of knowledge there to help. Happy Hunting and goodluck at SDCC and hopefully Fundays!! :freddy2:

Whoa, thanks for the knowledge. Lots to learn for sure!

Here any time for questions. I have been collecting, selling, trading protos for about 6 years. So fun!!!
Diedre Loves her Funko Family
marvel_mama444 on insta - formerly Divade23 Marvel_Mama

DJR

Postby DJR » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:43 pm

Marvel_Mama wrote:
DJR wrote:
Marvel_Mama wrote:The prototype is the first thing made for Funko to approve the mold. There is an average 2-3 white and 5-6 color produced but that also varies greatly. Funko gives out at events or contests etc. 90% of ebay sales are scrappers which are pulled of the production line at the factory and are not prototypes. The protos are sent to Funko directly and Funko gives those out to a couple stores and mostly events. Always ask questions, thats how we all learn this process and how to not buy scrappers. They are a very cool piece of Funko history for sure. Funko Protos 101 on facebook has a lot of older collectors with a lot of knowledge there to help. Happy Hunting and goodluck at SDCC and hopefully Fundays!! :freddy2:

Whoa, thanks for the knowledge. Lots to learn for sure!

Here any time for questions. I have been collecting, selling, trading protos for about 6 years. So fun!!!

Nice. An 'expert'. Thanks again for the info :razz:

Chingy

Postby Chingy » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:33 pm

SonicFan1987 wrote:
Chingy wrote:
SonicFan1987 wrote:Why do you figure that would be? We all love them we all want them, they are making plenty of them.

Because one of, if not the most, alluring factor of Fundays was that everyone got a proto. It was (in my opinion) the single biggest item people went to the event for. It was an event within an event to get them. They made a spectacle of it and everyone talked about what was given out. It was a big deal and the crown jewel giveaway of the night. And they didn't give them out this past Fundays. Just seems like it's something that they're not going to bring back once they've already severed the tradition.

Well you said it, it's the most alluring factor. I still think it was beyond crappy of Funko to bump the price as much as they did then not give out a proto, which in your own words and those of many others I've seen is one of the biggest boons and draws for Fundays. Just doesn't seem very "fun" to me. Seems like something Disney would do

I don't think it was crappy in the slightest. Bummer for sure. But not crappy. Getting a proto was always a bonus. It was never an official part of the event. The amount of product, entertainment, and fun that I got at Fundays far exceeded the $250 price tag.

Marvel_Mama

Postby Marvel_Mama » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:35 pm

Chingy wrote:
SonicFan1987 wrote:
Chingy wrote:
Because one of, if not the most, alluring factor of Fundays was that everyone got a proto. It was (in my opinion) the single biggest item people went to the event for. It was an event within an event to get them. They made a spectacle of it and everyone talked about what was given out. It was a big deal and the crown jewel giveaway of the night. And they didn't give them out this past Fundays. Just seems like it's something that they're not going to bring back once they've already severed the tradition.

Well you said it, it's the most alluring factor. I still think it was beyond crappy of Funko to bump the price as much as they did then not give out a proto, which in your own words and those of many others I've seen is one of the biggest boons and draws for Fundays. Just doesn't seem very "fun" to me. Seems like something Disney would do

I don't think it was crappy in the slightest. Bummer for sure. But not crappy. Getting a proto was always a bonus. It was never an official part of the event. The amount of product, entertainment, and fun that I got at Fundays far exceeded the $250 price tag.

Agree it is always worth the price. The amount of product they give out already is a worth it. Let alone being able to see everyone and hang out in the same place is a major bonus. Including the meal, except last years of course :D

Funkolotz1622

Postby Funkolotz1622 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:31 pm

Marvel_Mama wrote:
Chingy wrote:
SonicFan1987 wrote:

Agree it is always worth the price. The amount of product they give out already is a worth it. Let alone being able to see everyone and hang out in the same place is a major bonus. Including the meal, except last years of course :D

Yeah I think last year was fine except for the food
Fundays 2022 - Black Light Proto Robos
Fright Night 2022
Fundays 2023 - Protomoa Wolves

TonyFunkoFreakHead

Postby TonyFunkoFreakHead » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:39 pm

I loathe Frototypes....the bane of my existence!!!!

SpaceDude
Rookie Of The year
Rookie Of The year

Postby SpaceDude » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:21 pm

SonicFan1987 wrote:
Flatt wrote:
SpaceDude wrote:
I know I am hoping to get tickets as well!

Well good luck to us both then!!

I'll throw some energy into this, to all three of us! And an anime proto to us all

Heck yeah the more help the better! lol
Tate/SpaceDude's Pop Vault :freddy3:
2020 Rookie of the Year
Instagram: spacedudespopvault
Facebook: Tate McCarty
Colorado Funatic

SpaceDude
Rookie Of The year
Rookie Of The year

Postby SpaceDude » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:22 pm

Ronnie18 wrote:Yes, fingers crossed I can get tickets to Fundays and they give out protos this year.

I am in the same boat!
2020 Rookie of the Year
Colorado Funatic

SpaceDude
Rookie Of The year
Rookie Of The year

Postby SpaceDude » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:23 pm

Flatt wrote:
SpaceDude wrote:
Flatt wrote:
Fingers crossed at a port this year. Extra fingers crossed at getting funday tix!

I know I am hoping to get tickets as well!

That's right! \:D/ \:D/
2020 Rookie of the Year
Colorado Funatic

SonicFan1987

Postby SonicFan1987 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:23 am

Funkolotz1622 wrote:
Marvel_Mama wrote:
Chingy wrote:

Or the fact that they mislabeled and misrepresented the production numbers on thousands of pops that were given out at the event then offered exchanges to apologize that were not anywhere near the value of the ones you turned in lol.

Squird
Hall of Fame Class of 2012

Postby Squird » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:31 am

Chingy wrote:
SonicFan1987 wrote:
Chingy wrote:
Sadly, I doubt we ever see protos mass given out again except for rare occasions in very limited quantities and small-number giveaways.

Why do you figure that would be? We all love them we all want them, they are making plenty of them.

Some of us go to get rowdy with our friends. I've been fortunate to go several years in a row. Usually sit with or near the same people year after year.

Protos are nice.

Freddy's are nice.

But one of the guys at our table touched Corey Feldman last year. As far as I know, still hasn't washed that hand. How do you top that?
Funklub: 11181

Marvel_Mama

Postby Marvel_Mama » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:26 am

Squird wrote:
Chingy wrote:
SonicFan1987 wrote:Why do you figure that would be? We all love them we all want them, they are making plenty of them.

Some of us go to get rowdy with our friends. I've been fortunate to go several years in a row. Usually sit with or near the same people year after year.

Protos are nice.

Freddy's are nice.

But one of the guys at our table touched Corey Feldman last year. As far as I know, still hasn't washed that hand. How do you top that?

Totally EPIC. I had to pay at the Con to get a picture with him LOL, so that wouldve been amazing!!!

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:34 am

plumb102 wrote:
rexflexall wrote:Not many protos went out last Fundays as like prior years!

Yeah, I think I remember Mike handing out/throwing into the crowd, maybe 8 at most?

Wow so low protos for all those thousands in attendance!

Chingy

Postby Chingy » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:42 pm

Marvel_Mama wrote:
Chingy wrote:
SonicFan1987 wrote:

I wonder if we'll see a number of sandwich cosplayers at this year's Fundays.

Chingy

Postby Chingy » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:46 pm

SonicFan1987 wrote:
Funkolotz1622 wrote:
Marvel_Mama wrote:

Or the fact that they mislabeled and misrepresented the production numbers on thousands of pops that were given out at the event then offered exchanges to apologize that were not anywhere near the value of the ones you turned in lol.

I feel like this is a little disingenuous and unfair. There was a mistake on a small number of pops and they tried to rectify that mistake with similar products.

Lobstercrossing

Postby Lobstercrossing » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:52 pm

Squird wrote:
Chingy wrote:

Protos are nice.

Freddy's are nice.

lol
My real name is Noah, but you can call me... Noah.

Fugly16

Postby Fugly16 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:36 pm

rexflexall wrote:
plumb102 wrote:
rexflexall wrote:Not many protos went out last Fundays as like prior years!

Yeah, I think I remember Mike handing out/throwing into the crowd, maybe 8 at most?

Can't speak for others but I was very very bummed that none were handed out like years prior. I don't actively collect protos but it was always really fun to get one with my Box of fun.

Grimmsley

Postby Grimmsley » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:59 pm

SnackDaddy wrote:Rule of thumb

Follow the paper trail, ask for proof. Anyone with a real proto would be more than happy to show you proof. If you have questions about a certain seller, don't be afraid to ask someone who has been around for their opinion.

This! The proto community can be a little straight to the point sometimes, but it has a bunch of people that actually care. I remember when I first stepped into that side of it, I got a lot of help from a lot of good people
Come for the toys, Stay for the People

Funko is Family

SonicFan1987

Postby SonicFan1987 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:06 am

Chingy wrote:
SonicFan1987 wrote:
Funkolotz1622 wrote:

I feel like this is a little disingenuous and unfair. There was a mistake on a small number of pops and they tried to rectify that mistake with similar products.

We will have to agree to disagree on that. You said a small number, per the email from Funko:

AFFECTED BOX OF FUN ITEMS:

Freddy Funko as Cpt. America (Metallic) with LE 250 sticker Freddy Funko as Megatron (Metallic) with LE 500 sticker Freddy Funko as Hopper with LE 250 sticker
Freddy Funko as Dwight with Gelatin Stapler with LE 250 sticker
Freddy Funko as Spooky Space Kook with LE 250 sticker Freddy Funko as Merlin with LE 250 sticker

That's a combination of 6 different pops they labeled as 250 (and one 500) LE that turned out to be edition sizes of thousands, and no one who sent in those pops got equally limited pops back. They could have made it right, but sending people out a pop that is LE 750 ot higher to replace one that was supposed to be LE 250 or 500 is not equal. These types of quality issues have plagued Funko lately and as a multi million dollar company they need to root out all these issues that keep happening.

For instance showing up to Wondercon with a non shared con exclusive all with shared stickers, and a highly sought after anime pop with shared stickers and no convention exclusive stickers.

DrunkoPop

Postby DrunkoPop » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:49 am

Grimmsley wrote:
SnackDaddy wrote:Rule of thumb

Follow the paper trail, ask for proof. Anyone with a real proto would be more than happy to show you proof. If you have questions about a certain seller, don't be afraid to ask someone who has been around for their opinion.

This! The proto community can be a little straight to the point sometimes, but it has a bunch of people that actually care. I remember when I first stepped into that side of it, I got a lot of help from a lot of good people

I absolutely love the Proto community. I’ve never had an issue and solely sell & buy through them only. :love4:
Image Image
ImageImage

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:48 am

Fugly16 wrote:
rexflexall wrote:
plumb102 wrote:

Can't speak for others but I was very very bummed that none were handed out like years prior. I don't actively collect protos but it was always really fun to get one with my Box of fun.

Protos was a good reason to attend!

x88joe88x

Postby x88joe88x » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:13 am

Elviax wrote:
x88joe88x wrote:Sadly I didn’t see protos being given out in mass at big events anymore

I would agree with this! It does seem like they are trying to make the events larger though, so if thats the trade off I dont mind it much

Yeah I think I’m ok with it
Instagram: popstop_nyc
YouTube.com/@popstopnyc
ImageImage Image
Collector since 2013!
750 pops and counting…
NYCC since 2013
SDCC 2023, 2024
C2E2 2024

Marvel_Mama

Postby Marvel_Mama » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:56 am

Chingy wrote:
Marvel_Mama wrote:
Chingy wrote:

Now that would be hilarious. Was way too funny that Funko did the NFT sandwich. Salt in wound but hilarious for those with a sense of humor :roflmao:

Squird

Postby Squird » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:08 am

SonicFan1987 wrote:
Chingy wrote:
SonicFan1987 wrote:Or the fact that they mislabeled and misrepresented the production numbers on thousands of pops that were given out at the event then offered exchanges to apologize that were not anywhere near the value of the ones you turned in lol.

We will have to agree to disagree on that. You said a small number, per the email from Funko:

Freddy Funko as Cpt. America (Metallic) with LE 250 sticker Freddy Funko as Megatron (Metallic) with LE 500 sticker Freddy Funko as Hopper with LE 250 sticker
Freddy Funko as Spooky Space Kook with LE 250 sticker Freddy Funko as Merlin with LE 250 sticker

That's a combination of 6 different pops they labeled as 250 (and one 500) LE that turned out to be edition sizes of thousands, and no one who sent in those pops got equally limited pops back. They could have made it right, but sending people out a pop that is LE 750 ot higher to replace one that was supposed to be LE 250 or 500 is not equal. These types of quality issues have plagued Funko lately and as a multi million dollar company they need to root out all these issues that keep happening.

For instance showing up to Wondercon with a non shared con exclusive all with shared stickers, and a highly sought after anime pop with shared stickers and no convention exclusive stickers.

Depending on how you count it.

It's six affected pops.
Or 12 because they were pops for the event and for home.
Or thousands because hyperbole is awesome.

Their retail value is the cost of the box divided by the number of items in the box. Giving out another pop from the event is effectively 'equal value'. It might not make them happy, but people who replaced the 250's still got something for their money. What they lost was bragging rights and profit, which is not on Funko.

That being said, Funko screwed up and I hope the people responsible were fired or demoted and not allowed to make those decisions ever again. It was a bullsh*t move that took some of the fun out of the event (the dinner taking most of it), demonstrated a lack of respect for collectors, and makes Funko look really, really bad. I wasn't affected, but I have some sympathy for those that were. They still got some cool pops, just not as cool as they once thought they were.
Funklub: 11181

jibcollect

Postby jibcollect » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:18 am

Marvel_Mama wrote:
Chingy wrote:
Marvel_Mama wrote:

Now that would be hilarious. Was way too funny that Funko did the NFT sandwich. Salt in wound but hilarious for those with a sense of humor :roflmao:

I laughed pretty hard at the NFT sandwich LOL its good that they can poke fun at themselves. Hopefully last year, in some ways, was a learning experience for Funko. Excited to see what comes our way this year! They always have great themes!

Marvel_Mama

Postby Marvel_Mama » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:21 am

Squird wrote:
SonicFan1987 wrote:
Chingy wrote:

Depending on how you count it.

It's six affected pops.
Or 12 because they were pops for the event and for home.
Or thousands because hyperbole is awesome.

Their retail value is the cost of the box divided by the number of items in the box. Giving out another pop from the event is effectively 'equal value'. It might not make them happy, but people who replaced the 250's still got something for their money. What they lost was bragging rights and profit, which is not on Funko.

That being said, Funko screwed up and I hope the people responsible were fired or demoted and not allowed to make those decisions ever again. It was a bullsh*t move that took some of the fun out of the event (the dinner taking most of it), demonstrated a lack of respect for collectors, and makes Funko look really, really bad. I wasn't affected, but I have some sympathy for those that were. They still got some cool pops, just not as cool as they once thought they were.

Not to mention the people trying to scam the system and mail in Pops with sticker swaps to get replacements. Once I got wind of that I refused to mail mine in, not worth it and people just screwing Funko was ridiculous. I have no doubt things will be smoother this year and I hope I get to go!

Flatt

Postby Flatt » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:58 pm

SpaceDude wrote:
SonicFan1987 wrote:
Flatt wrote:

I'll throw some energy into this, to all three of us! And an anime proto to us all

Been saving up my Karma, maybe this is a good use for it.

SpaceDude
Rookie Of The year
Rookie Of The year

Postby SpaceDude » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:15 pm

Flatt wrote:
SpaceDude wrote:
SonicFan1987 wrote:I'll throw some energy into this, to all three of us! And an anime proto to us all

Been saving up my Karma, maybe this is a good use for it.

there ya go!
2020 Rookie of the Year
Colorado Funatic

FunCo010

Postby FunCo010 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:23 am

Marvel_Mama wrote:Now that would be hilarious. Was way too funny that Funko did the NFT sandwich. Salt in wound but hilarious for those with a sense of humor :roflmao:

Agree!! But at the moment.....my stomach really needed some food hahaha lol
PLEASE FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM: FUNCO010

Marvel_Mama

Postby Marvel_Mama » Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:56 pm

FunCo010 wrote:
Marvel_Mama wrote:Now that would be hilarious. Was way too funny that Funko did the NFT sandwich. Salt in wound but hilarious for those with a sense of humor :roflmao:

For real!! after waiting that long in line. Gotta hide a burrito in my bag next time.

Chuckles00012

Postby Chuckles00012 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:08 am

Marvel_Mama wrote:
FunCo010 wrote:

For real!! after waiting that long in line. Gotta hide a burrito in my bag next time.

A burrito would have been amazing instead of that sandwich......

Marvel_Mama

Postby Marvel_Mama » Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:00 am

Chuckles00012 wrote:
Marvel_Mama wrote:
FunCo010 wrote:Agree!! But at the moment.....my stomach really needed some food hahaha lol

honestly a taco truck right there at the line would sell out of food. LOL

zonkttc

Postby zonkttc » Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:08 am

Maybe next year funko can do a chimmi changa truck with dead pool.

Rcmal1

Postby Rcmal1 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:34 pm

So I have one proto (that I don't think I will ever sell) but how would I create a papertrail for that? I got it at the one Fundays I was able to attend so not like there is a receipt or anything. Mainly asking if I am able to ever acquire one in the future as well.

mnkykng77

Postby mnkykng77 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:56 pm

Chuckles00012 wrote:
Marvel_Mama wrote:
FunCo010 wrote:Agree!! But at the moment.....my stomach really needed some food hahaha lol

Shoot even a Costco hot dog would of been better then the sandwich. If I am able to attend this year I'm going to pack a meal in my bag as back up.
Image Image

GenericCloneTrooper

Postby GenericCloneTrooper » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:14 pm

really scummy how many fakes there are
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just a simple SDCC and SWC fan making his way through the galaxy

Chuckles00012

Postby Chuckles00012 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:03 pm

Squird wrote:
Chingy wrote:

Protos are nice.

Freddy's are nice.

My wife went nuts over touching AJ from the Backstreet Boys at Camp Fundays. She says she can now die happy.

dr-FOMO

Postby dr-FOMO » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:50 am

Squird wrote:
Chingy wrote:

Protos are nice.

Freddy's are nice.

With disinfectant lol
IG: Dr.FOMO
FO·MO
/ˈfōmō/
noun

anxiety that an exciting or interesting event may currently be happening elsewhere, often aroused by posts seen on social media.

:freddy3:
NYCC2022
NYCC2021
NYCC2019
NYCC2018
NYCC2015

dr-FOMO

Postby dr-FOMO » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:54 am

treswright wrote:
DeputyDan wrote:With the world of technology getting more and more crazy, now i begin to wonder if people can 3D print false prototypes?

Anyone else had these thoughts?

I just love my POPS! and now that I've started collecting these prototypes, I want to make sure I'm buying the real deal.

Well like Scott said 3D printing uses a plastic material that does not look or feel like vinyl, so that's not an issue for now, until the technology changes. But there are plenty of other concerns...

First let's describe what a "real" proto is so we can discuss the difference. A real proto is one that was made in a limited run by the manufacturer and given to Funko so they can review it before it goes into final production. Most people like to collect protos because they're a part of the design process- they were held and examined and touched and commented on by Funko designers, sculptors and executives. That is where the value comes from, and provenance is everything.

Now, let's talk about the many items being floated out there as protos that are not legitimate:

Scrappers- Pops that may have had a flaw or flaws and were pulled from the assembly line before the painting process, but instead of being thrown away were snuck out of the factory. Just about any "prototype" that is being sold on eBay out of China is in fact a scrapper. These are actual Funko products, but they are not prototypes, so they look like the real thing. The problem with the proliferation of these is that once they start circulating, they will come back up being sold by US sellers, so it can be hard to tell. That's why Huse and others stress knowing who you are buying from.

Strippers- unscrupulous sellers take a standard Pop and strip the paint off of it and sell it as a proto. Typically it will smell of the stripping agent and have paint residue in the crevices.

Mindstyle- This is the latest issue that makes collecting protos a headache. Mindstyle is a Chinese manufacturer and distributor, and they've started selling/ giving away "prototypes". Usually the color, sheen and texture is off on the Mindstyle prototypes, but some of them are close enough to be hard to distinguish. The issue here is again, these were never in the US and never in Funko's hands and in that respect are not legitimate prototypes.

If you want to start collecting protos, join one of the FB proto groups and read, read, read. There are a lot of discussions about what to look for and what to avoid. Make friends with established proto collectors, they are a wealth of information. And get ready to rumble, because there are a lot more people chasing the more popular lines than there are protos to go around lol

I always thought it'll be cool to just have a prototype mold of a funko pop I really like. I don't think I'll ever chase down one through a sale or trade. Especially see the multiple ways one can manipulate one to come off as a proto. That doesn't even come down to the legitimacy and authentication of it. This was such insightful information and would be very helpful to collectors, new and old.
IG: Dr.FOMO
FO·MO
/ˈfōmō/
noun

anxiety that an exciting or interesting event may currently be happening elsewhere, often aroused by posts seen on social media.

:freddy3:
NYCC2022
NYCC2021
NYCC2019
NYCC2018
NYCC2015

Chenzo157

Postby Chenzo157 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:58 pm

I've been seeing people in groups sadly get scammed buying fakes. I'm not an expert like others but I always try to share the knowledge I've gained from groups and friends to newer collectors so they don't lose a single dollar
Camp fundays 2023 bound! :freddy1:

Return to “Pop!”