False Prototypes

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
DeputyDan

False Prototypes

Postby DeputyDan » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:52 pm

With the world of technology getting more and more crazy, now i begin to wonder if people can 3D print false prototypes?

Anyone else had these thoughts?

I just love my POPS! and now that I've started collecting these prototypes, I want to make sure I'm buying the real deal.
Howdy its Deputy Dan! :freddy2:ImageImage

SnackDaddy
HoF 2017 & CotY
HoF 2017 & CotY

Re: False Prototypes

Postby SnackDaddy » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:12 pm

Rule of thumb

Follow the paper trail, ask for proof. Anyone with a real proto would be more than happy to show you proof. If you have questions about a certain seller, don't be afraid to ask someone who has been around for their opinion.
Houssein aka Huse aka SnackDaddy

TriFeckTa

Postby TriFeckTa » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:17 pm

The people with the fake protos usually don't 3d print them, they more than likely strip the paint.
Hey there, I'm Michael and I am an Iron Man Junkie!
Iron Man POP! Collection (Production Pieces): COMPLETE
Iron Man Proto Count: 50
Iron Man Wacky Wobblers: IN PROGRESS

ISO: Gold Mark 2 Iron Man CHASE Wobbler, Gold Mark 1 Iron Man CHASE Wobbler, Gold and Silver 1/12 Freddy Stark Wobblers, and IRON MAN RELATED PROTOS

Check out my IG: @triifeckta
ImageImage

Ellis

Postby Ellis » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:20 pm

SnackDaddy wrote:Rule of thumb

Follow the paper trail, ask for proof. Anyone with a real proto would be more than happy to show you proof. If you have questions about a certain seller, don't be afraid to ask someone who has been around for their opinion.

Well said. This has been something I've thought about recently as well.. But if you follow the paper trail and ask for proof, any legitimate source should be happy to comply. SnackDaddy rule of thumb on point
ImageImage

Geescube
HoF 2016 & CotM
HoF 2016 & CotM

Postby Geescube » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:43 pm

U look so happy with Kevin Smith <3

Kal-El-051

Postby Kal-El-051 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:37 pm

This is a great way of doing it and the rule I follow when I purchase them myself, which isn't often. However, what do you do if they claim it came from Fundays? No paper trail there. I ask simply because I have some from Fundays and want to be able to prove myself and make them feel comfortable in addition to protecting myself if somebody claims that on one of theirs.

SnackDaddy
HoF 2017 & CotY
HoF 2017 & CotY

Postby SnackDaddy » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:21 pm

Kal-El-051 wrote:

This is a great way of doing it and the rule I follow when I purchase them myself, which isn't often. However, what do you do if they claim it came from Fundays? No paper trail there. I ask simply because I have some from Fundays and want to be able to prove myself and make them feel comfortable in addition to protecting myself if somebody claims that on one of theirs.

That is a tough one, some people have brought fakes to fundays to try and trade and others have used the black bags to try and prove its legitimacy. I would ask around for reputation checks. If it's someone no one knows, proceed with caution. If it's a known person then you should be ok. No matter what, ask for second opinions

SnackDaddy
HoF 2017 & CotY
HoF 2017 & CotY

Postby SnackDaddy » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:21 pm

Geescube wrote:

U look so happy with Kevin Smith <3

Hahaha I was super happy! So glad I made that trip happen

Mr Yac

Postby Mr Yac » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:08 pm

what proof though? do they come with a certificate of authenticity or something?

Kal-El-051

Postby Kal-El-051 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:09 pm

SnackDaddy wrote:
Kal-El-051 wrote:

That is a tough one, some people have brought fakes to fundays to try and trade and others have used the black bags to try and prove its legitimacy. I would ask around for reputation checks. If it's someone no one knows, proceed with caution. If it's a known person then you should be ok. No matter what, ask for second opinions

Incredibly unfortunate that we have to be so cautious with these things in this day and age. Thanks for responding to my question Snackdaddy! I will take your advice and utilize it.

Nobody888

Postby Nobody888 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:37 am

my thoughts exactly regarding fundays. all of my protos came from fundays and the only "paper trail" i have is proof of the ticket lol.

x56735x

Postby x56735x » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:43 am

Sometimes people take pictures of the protos against the funday placemats or bag or something that was only funday specific. I'm not planning to sell my one and only proto but I took pics of it while at fundays to show legitimacy and you kinda show of that I was there... hehe
ImageImage

FunkoPhoenix

Postby FunkoPhoenix » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:59 am

Kal-El-051 wrote:
SnackDaddy wrote:
Kal-El-051 wrote:

Incredibly unfortunate that we have to be so cautious with these things in this day and age. Thanks for responding to my question Snackdaddy! I will take your advice and utilize it.
If you're buying from retailers you should get a receipt, proving that you bought it and the list price.
Yo! It’s Vince
IG:FunkoPhoenix
IOS:Trafalgar Law proto, Nami proto, Zoro proto, Boa proto (Anime One Piece)

SnackDaddy
HoF 2017 & CotY
HoF 2017 & CotY

Postby SnackDaddy » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:30 am

Mr Yac wrote:

what proof though? do they come with a certificate of authenticity or something?

Receipts from either Gemini or Fugitive if purchased. If won from a contest, a screen shot of the page/post/email showing that you were in fact the winner. If won at an FDO, contacting the host of the specific FDO works since we look and take notes of all the protos we are given to hand out. Fundays USUALLY can be proven with a picture of the proto at fundays (if done with an iphone, you can show the time, date, and location of where the picture was taken at).

Although these measures seem extreme, it is a lot better than paying hundreds of dollars for a scrap piece that someone bought on ebay for $14

Sarcasticguy
Hall of Fame Class of 2023
Hall of Fame Class of 2023

Postby Sarcasticguy » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:42 am

I don't think a 3D printed prototype would have the same look/feel/weight as a classic vinyl one. With that being said, always try to buy from a trusted source.
Hi, I'm Scott.
Instagram: @Sarcasticguy89
ISO:
Any Fallout Protos
Aliens Ellen Ripley Rock Candy Proto
Furiosa and Normal Immortan Joe Protos
SDCC '13 Bloody Predator Pop!
Retro Freddy Thor | Retro Freddy Skeletor

jayncoke

Postby jayncoke » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:52 am

lol i had to do a double take. Ellis, I thought you were DeputyDan for a hot second. You two have the same avatar and almost the same signature haha

Jay Aniceto
IG @jayncoke || Twitter @jayncoke
My Pop Wish:

treswright

Postby treswright » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:54 pm

DeputyDan wrote:With the world of technology getting more and more crazy, now i begin to wonder if people can 3D print false prototypes?

Anyone else had these thoughts?

I just love my POPS! and now that I've started collecting these prototypes, I want to make sure I'm buying the real deal.

Well like Scott said 3D printing uses a plastic material that does not look or feel like vinyl, so that's not an issue for now, until the technology changes. But there are plenty of other concerns...

First let's describe what a "real" proto is so we can discuss the difference. A real proto is one that was made in a limited run by the manufacturer and given to Funko so they can review it before it goes into final production. Most people like to collect protos because they're a part of the design process- they were held and examined and touched and commented on by Funko designers, sculptors and executives. That is where the value comes from, and provenance is everything.

Now, let's talk about the many items being floated out there as protos that are not legitimate:

Scrappers- Pops that may have had a flaw or flaws and were pulled from the assembly line before the painting process, but instead of being thrown away were snuck out of the factory. Just about any "prototype" that is being sold on eBay out of China is in fact a scrapper. These are actual Funko products, but they are not prototypes, so they look like the real thing. The problem with the proliferation of these is that once they start circulating, they will come back up being sold by US sellers, so it can be hard to tell. That's why Huse and others stress knowing who you are buying from.

Strippers- unscrupulous sellers take a standard Pop and strip the paint off of it and sell it as a proto. Typically it will smell of the stripping agent and have paint residue in the crevices.

Mindstyle- This is the latest issue that makes collecting protos a headache. Mindstyle is a Chinese manufacturer and distributor, and they've started selling/ giving away "prototypes". Usually the color, sheen and texture is off on the Mindstyle prototypes, but some of them are close enough to be hard to distinguish. The issue here is again, these were never in the US and never in Funko's hands and in that respect are not legitimate prototypes.

If you want to start collecting protos, join one of the FB proto groups and read, read, read. There are a lot of discussions about what to look for and what to avoid. Make friends with established proto collectors, they are a wealth of information. And get ready to rumble, because there are a lot more people chasing the more popular lines than there are protos to go around lol
Howdy, I'm Tres :-)

eljefe81

Postby eljefe81 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:05 pm

Thanks Tres for all those clarifications!
Proud member of Markenty's Garage

Dk123

Postby Dk123 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:46 pm

Wow...thanks so much for that info...I collect protos and have some which came from Mindstyle which were given out/raffled off at various events here...now I know the difference...

Jalapenopete

Postby Jalapenopete » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:03 pm

Great info on the protos thanks, basic if its to good to be true its probably not
:freddy3:

Mr Yac

Postby Mr Yac » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:09 am

SnackDaddy wrote:
Although these measures seem extreme, it is a lot better than paying hundreds of dollars for a scrap piece that someone bought on ebay for $14

as big as Funko is and the fact that the protos are given through official channels I think it's kind of silly they don't offer some sort of CoA with them.

dcooperfl

Postby dcooperfl » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:46 am

Sarcasticguy wrote:I don't think a 3D printed prototype would have the same look/feel/weight as a classic vinyl one. With that being said, always try to buy from a trusted source.

Agreed, I think you would be able to tell that pretty easily. The larger concern are the scrappers from the factories. Even the paint stripped versions have pretty good tells.
Damien | Austin, TX | @dcooperfl

dcooperfl

Postby dcooperfl » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:46 am

Jalapenopete wrote:Great info on the protos thanks, basic if its to good to be true its probably not

I second that, a lot of great info on this thread.
Damien | Austin, TX | @dcooperfl

Nobody888

Postby Nobody888 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:54 am

Mr Yac wrote:
SnackDaddy wrote:

as big as Funko is and the fact that the protos are given through official channels I think it's kind of silly they don't offer some sort of CoA with them.

what's to prevent those scammers to make forgeries of the CoA? by the way, great share tres!

mindblowin02
Hall of Fame Class of 2012
Hall of Fame Class of 2012

Postby mindblowin02 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:59 am

Mr Yac wrote:
SnackDaddy wrote:

Way to late for that to happen.

Mr Yac

Postby Mr Yac » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:37 am

mindblowin02 wrote:

an uphill battle at this point for sure, but it's never too late to improve things.

Nobody888 wrote:
what's to prevent those scammers to make forgeries of the CoA? by the way, great share tres!

nothing is ever 100% but a little effort is better than none at all. if they were just giving them out as prizes that's one thing, but they are making some pretty decent money selling these things so they could at least do something to authenticate them.

TriFeckTa

Postby TriFeckTa » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:18 am

treswright wrote:Well like Scott said 3D printing uses a plastic material that does not look or feel like vinyl, so that's not an issue for now, until the technology changes. But there are plenty of other concerns...

First let's describe what a "real" proto is so we can discuss the difference. A real proto is one that was made in a limited run by the manufacturer and given to Funko so they can review it before it goes into final production. Most people like to collect protos because they're a part of the design process- they were held and examined and touched and commented on by Funko designers, sculptors and executives. That is where the value comes from, and provenance is everything.

Now, let's talk about the many items being floated out there as protos that are not legitimate:

Scrappers- Pops that may have had a flaw or flaws and were pulled from the assembly line before the painting process, but instead of being thrown away were snuck out of the factory. Just about any "prototype" that is being sold on eBay out of China is in fact a scrapper. These are actual Funko products, but they are not prototypes, so they look like the real thing. The problem with the proliferation of these is that once they start circulating, they will come back up being sold by US sellers, so it can be hard to tell. That's why Huse and others stress knowing who you are buying from.

Strippers- unscrupulous sellers take a standard Pop and strip the paint off of it and sell it as a proto. Typically it will smell of the stripping agent and have paint residue in the crevices.

Mindstyle- This is the latest issue that makes collecting protos a headache. Mindstyle is a Chinese manufacturer and distributor, and they've started selling/ giving away "prototypes". Usually the color, sheen and texture is off on the Mindstyle prototypes, but some of them are close enough to be hard to distinguish. The issue here is again, these were never in the US and never in Funko's hands and in that respect are not legitimate prototypes.

If you want to start collecting protos, join one of the FB proto groups and read, read, read. There are a lot of discussions about what to look for and what to avoid. Make friends with established proto collectors, they are a wealth of information. And get ready to rumble, because there are a lot more people chasing the more popular lines than there are protos to go around lol

Great write up Tres and spot on!
Hey there, I'm Michael and I am an Iron Man Junkie!
Iron Man POP! Collection (Production Pieces): COMPLETE
Iron Man Proto Count: 50
Iron Man Wacky Wobblers: IN PROGRESS

ISO: Gold Mark 2 Iron Man CHASE Wobbler, Gold Mark 1 Iron Man CHASE Wobbler, Gold and Silver 1/12 Freddy Stark Wobblers, and IRON MAN RELATED PROTOS

Check out my IG: @triifeckta
ImageImage

SnackDaddy
HoF 2017 & CotY
HoF 2017 & CotY

Postby SnackDaddy » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:52 am

Mr Yac wrote:
mindblowin02 wrote:

an uphill battle at this point for sure, but it's never too late to improve things.

Nobody888 wrote:

nothing is ever 100% but a little effort is better than none at all. if they were just giving them out as prizes that's one thing, but they are making some pretty decent money selling these things so they could at least do something to authenticate them.

I don't think Funko ever thought that people would go as far as making fakes or stealing scraps to pass them off as protos, if they did, the first proto ever would have came with a CoA

Mr Yac

Postby Mr Yac » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:36 pm

SnackDaddy wrote:
I don't think Funko ever thought that people would go as far as making fakes or stealing scraps to pass them off as protos, if they did, the first proto ever would have came with a CoA

I totally get that and don't fault them for it, however my point is that now they know better and they know they are a huge company, not to mention they aren't exactly selling the prototypes for cheap so a little piece of mind on what they obviously know is meant to be a rare collectible item doesn't seem like too much to ask from them.

SnackDaddy
HoF 2017 & CotY
HoF 2017 & CotY

Postby SnackDaddy » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:39 pm

Mr Yac wrote:
SnackDaddy wrote:

I totally get that and don't fault them for it, however my point is that now they know better and they know they are a huge company, not to mention they aren't exactly selling the prototypes for cheap so a little piece of mind on what they obviously know is meant to be a rare collectible item doesn't seem like too much to ask from them.

But by releasing new protos with CoA's, it would take away from the legitimacy of protos that are already floating around in our collections. CoA's will become the norm and everyone without a CoA will be considered abnormal. Some people have dozens of protos in their collection, would be unfair to kill their legitimacy by NOW making protos with CoA's

It's not even about the value for me personally, I like having some of the earliest pieces of the development process for a certain piece. It's pretty awesome to be like "this was actually part of the process", for it being questioned because other protos have CoA's would suck

myktek

Postby myktek » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:05 pm

great info, I've been interested since Funday and have acquired a few and asked them for proof and alot of them have taken pics at funday with the proto

Dameansanz9

Postby Dameansanz9 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:33 am

I've thought about this in regards to removing paint to falsify your proto you wouldn't get the original paint job that the proto has which from what I've seen is a glossy color. As far as 3d printing that's a little tougher because when you 3d print there are some ridges and loose material that stays behind but that can be sanded but still you'd probably be able to tell. Yet again I'm too broke to own a proto at the moment haha

tonyfunko

Postby tonyfunko » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:38 am

SnackDaddy wrote:
Mr Yac wrote:
SnackDaddy wrote:

But by releasing new protos with CoA's, it would take away from the legitimacy of protos that are already floating around in our collections. CoA's will become the norm and everyone without a CoA will be considered abnormal. Some people have dozens of protos in their collection, would be unfair to kill their legitimacy by NOW making protos with CoA's

It's not even about the value for me personally, I like having some of the earliest pieces of the development process for a certain piece. It's pretty awesome to be like "this was actually part of the process", for it being questioned because other protos have CoA's would suck

He meant that they should have done COA's with protos from the beginning. It's too late now to start

treswright

Postby treswright » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:59 am

Dameansanz9 wrote:I've thought about this in regards to removing paint to falsify your proto you wouldn't get the original paint job that the proto has which from what I've seen is a glossy color.

Protos are not painted, they are raw vinyl. They are also rarely glossy. Some are, but most of the time they are more of a matte sheen. Here are some of mine for reference:

Howdy, I'm Tres :-)

throneofgames

Postby throneofgames » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:31 am

What Huse said! There are always more than enough people knowledgeable on protos that can help assist if needed.
I'm a Funko collector from Chicago. I'll travel just about anywhere for the love of Funko! Looking forward to in person meet-ups with Funatics once again at cons, Fundays, where ever! :freddy2:

throneofgames

Postby throneofgames » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:43 am

treswright wrote:
Dameansanz9 wrote:I've thought about this in regards to removing paint to falsify your proto you wouldn't get the original paint job that the proto has which from what I've seen is a glossy color.

Protos are not painted, they are raw vinyl. They are also rarely glossy. Some are, but most of the time they are more of a matte sheen. Here are some of mine for reference:

As a person who has owned quite a few protos myself I have to agree with this. Once you've had a single proto from Funko you can see how it literally came straight out of a mold. They're not without their faults sometimes, especially if shipped in a container with other protos as you'll get transfers or scuffs from them rubbing against one another. Overall though, there's usually a subtle difference between a legit proto and one that someone is trying to pass off as one.
I'm a Funko collector from Chicago. I'll travel just about anywhere for the love of Funko! Looking forward to in person meet-ups with Funatics once again at cons, Fundays, where ever! :freddy2:

jagpop

Postby jagpop » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:03 pm

Good info from everyone. Thank you.

I am not in danger, I am the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!

Shinfo13

Postby Shinfo13 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:07 am

I was actually going to start a new thread somewhere around here to show off these bad boys I found at D-Pins down in Anaheim, CA a week or so ago, but may as well share them here because they're clearly fakes. I really regret not asking a bit about them just to gauge why there were even on display and labeled as prototypes lol

Current Pop count: 280
Current Dorbz Count: 16
Newest Pop: SSGSS Kamehameha Goku
Favorite Pop: SS2 Gohan
ISO: Not even sure anymore

Kal-El-051

Postby Kal-El-051 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:48 am

I have never even seen a proto in that color Shinfo. Without seeing them in person I couldn't say whether they are fake. I can say the color of them would have me asking questions before buying.

pauly20powers

Postby pauly20powers » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:49 am

Great info. Thanks!

Return to “Pop!”